• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I am very excited to reply "Then play something else" the next time someone bitches about weapon durability or pacing

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Sekiro is already on its easiest difficulty by the way, there're harder modes like Bell Demon and NG+.

If that's not good enough then I have no words. Guess people just want to press a single button to win the game.

At this point I hope From add an easy mode in their next game just to see the shitstorm that would ensue.

Ahhhh the good old ''imagine if this impossible thing actually happened, people would be so mad'' self-satisfaction.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the logic behind "no there should never be an easy mode"

An optional difficulty has absolutely ZERO impact on you or the game. All it does is make it more accessible to more groups of people which is the entire purpose of video games

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
I think comparisons with movies in these kinds of discussion are problematic.

Games are an interactive medium that require some form of competence/ whatever-kind-of-skill to be experienced and/ or to be completed. Films are not*. Everybody can play a movie and watch it from start to end, regardless of skill. Not everybody will even experience the first boss of some game. So while i do not want to make a point for or against easy mode in Soulsborne games, there is a right to exist for these kinds of discussion (opposed to films).

(* exceptions granted for accessibility when deaf (subtitles), color blind (filters) etc.)

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

An optional difficulty has absolutely ZERO impact on you or the game. All it does is make it more accessible to more groups of people which is the entire purpose of video games

Clearly you don't understand gamer culture

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Skipping through pages of people's post to find the last time they criticized a design decision and only finding ten pages of Sekiro OT posts and pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall together

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I agree with you but there's like 4 other threads discussing this thing and it ALWAYS ends up being a clusterfuck.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I think Fromsoft fine tuned the difficulty to one that is exactly their vision and want people to experience and respect that.

In this day and age, if you want to experience the story, setting without going through the challenge that they offer you, well you can just go and watch Let's Plays of the game online. That's your easy mode.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fine to add an easy mode, but I also want a harder mode for pure pain.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Is it possible to make a "difficulty in games OT"? It's kinda getting to the same point as EGS threads where they are a repeat of the same comments over and over. Having a centralized place to discuss I think would be beneficial to dialog.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I was hoping that Sekiro would have a heavy story spoken in Japanese without the options of subtitles. Language easy mode should not be allowed. Translating Japanese looses a lot of subtleties of the language and is only to the detriment of the game. So if you want to enjoy Sekiro, you should just learn the language /s

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

FromSoft games aren't hard just 'cause. They're hard to evoke a specific feeling. Lessening the difficulty compromises the intended experience. If From doesn't want to compromise the experiences they make, people should respect that I think.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Two humans going at it is an intrinsic part to enjoying sexual stimulation. Masturbating is equivalent to asking people to not have sex.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Remember how Symphony of the Night's inverted castle was considered a failure of game design because some people used the Alucard Shield and Shield Rod

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am very excited to reply "Then play something else" the next time someone bitches about weapon durability or pacing

Or better yet Fi/motion controls/interruptions/handholding in Skyward Sword. I guess the MC score was absolutely spot on and everyone who disagrees with the creative vision of these aspects should 'play something else.'

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of agree but also acknowledge how completely inaccessible From games are for people with disabilities or are on the older end. I'm enjoying Sekiro but also know it's a game I'll probably find physical incapable of playing in ~20 years time.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, if you don't like what people are saying here...

TALK

TO

SOMEONE

ELSE

; )

But seriously tho, I don't get why someone would have a problem with the Idea of modifier or more difficulty settings. Does it really bother you people that I wasn't able to beat Mario Kaizo and Megaman 2 without Savestates?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The world didn't fall apart when Sekiro added a pause function. It won't fall apart when they introduce an easy mode to a game, either. Honestly, what does it take away from you if there's an autoplay option, or one where you have +1000% health, or where there's checkpoints every 3 steps or where you can quicksave mid-battle? As long as they keep a "normal" gamemode, you can always stick to that, play with that.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
FromSoft games aren't hard just 'cause. They're hard to evoke a specific feeling. Lessening the difficulty compromises the intended experience. If From doesn't want to compromise their experiences that is something that people should respect.
Okay so my list of design decisions that must be respected and not criticized:

- Difficulty [if hard]
- ???

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
This is an awful comparison, and I say this as someone who doesn't think all games need an easier difficulty.

Not only is film not an interactive medium and so trying to compare it in this way is not going to work, a lot of horror films, and other kinds of films, do in fact have several different cuts. Sometime, when showing a film on tv, the channel will edit it to better fit the presumed audience. Films that might be too scary for kids are softened for pre-watershed viewing. Films may even be edited for different countries. The only difference is in games, it's far easier to experience the original, intended difficulty as it's just an option you pick. So games have far more reason to do that stuff than film, a medium that is already doing it a hell of a lot.

So holding that up like some sort of argument ending point is silly.

Oct 25, 2017
Silly comparison. A more accurate comparison, but still an inaccurate one, would be people asking for a horror movie to have a cut that makes it less scary while also having the original cut. I say it's inaccurate because it is not as simple to make a less frightening cut of the film, at least not as simple as it would be for this situation.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
The most maddening thing about this is all of us, myself included, would be way too prideful to take the easy option but it is extremely important that it's not there for anyone.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Video games are interactive. Maybe its closer to expecting a song composer to write simple songs because some people cant play them.
I doubt many people will agree with that, but then again, not many people put in the time to learn an instrument.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Silly comparison. A more accurate comparison, but still an inaccurate one, would be people asking for a horror movie to have a cut that makes it less scary while also having the original cut. I say it's inaccurate because it is not as simple to make a less frightening cut of the film, at least not as simple as it would be for this situation.
Fair.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Okay so my list of design decisions that must be respected and not criticized:

- Difficulty [if hard]
- ???
We used to be alright with not being able to pause even while playing offline too as it adds to the feeling of dread but we're also fine when you can pause

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Yes, a better though still bad comparison would be like choosing to watch the airplane version of an R-rated movie.

But also going "NO YOU CANNOT DO THAT, WATCH LEGO NINJAGO INSTEAD FUCK YOU" would be actually psychotic.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FromSoft games aren't hard just 'cause. They're hard to evoke a specific feeling. Lessening the difficulty compromises the intended experience. If From doesn't want to compromise the experiences they make, people should respect that I think.
Ok and a lot of games are made intended to be played on "normal" difficulty levels to get the "true experience" and yet developers still create multiple layers of difficult (harder or easier) to satisfy more groups of players

You don't see pitchfork threads when developers add more difficult options into a video game (like Grounded mode in TLOU) - so why should there be arguments against adding the latter?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Halo is meant to be played on Legendary but how many of you do that the first time

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I suck at parries. FromSoftware owes it to me to remove parrying from the game when I switch to easy mode. Creative vision? Design? What is that stuff luls.

At this point, it won't be long before somebody manages to call challenging games anti-consumer. Just wait for it.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Poor anology, but I'd like it to running a Marathon. There's a sense of community for the people who do it. That they know what the other people has to go through. I guess it would be a bit like someone who ran a 5k showing up to talk with the people that ran the full Marathon. It just isn't the same experience. Is that elitist? Yea, almost certainly. But does it have some merit in terms of the shared experience, trial of it. I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.