• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's the way you go about it. In the other thread you just had someone call Miyazaki an "asshole" for "circlejerking the git gud crowd". Also asking for an easier difficulty in a Souls game isn't the same as asking for some costumes. Again, there's a lot of design decisions that go hand in hand with the difficulty. Leveldesign, enemy placements and movesets, savepoints, item and currency economy (which Sekiro kinda fails at in NG+). You also have to consider Sekiro's combat system here. Almost all the changes proposed would break the system. Making Sekiro easier while still retaining everything the dev set out to do with it would be a huge undertaking, if it's even possible, and I think they just don't have the time and resources for that.

I guess it never stopped those communities, but it's hard to argue that the Souls community grew so fast and strong particularily because of that. Some elitism surely played into that, at least from a certain subset of gamers, that always get well...kinda toxic, no matter the topic.

It's fine to have a "suggested difficulty" that's finetuned and still have stuff you can switch on/off that's not as well balanced (as you point out, NG+ is not as well balanced, From was still ok with including it). People get that. These options may still make the game more enjoyable for them overall.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
JFC, where do I start with this shit
Maybe by not calling it shit.

I literally said I had outlined in my above posts my problems. You didn't bother going back to read them
I'm sorry I don't read the entire thread back and forth, your last "point" was just the same meaningless "elitist" and "gatekeeping" fiesta.

You are very literally the definition of gatekeeping. I'm not asking YOU to do anything. All YOU have to do is step aside when people with problems are asking for some easier OPTIONS in games from devs and not jump all over them crying "Don't add an easy option in the menu wahhhh"
All while trying to minimalize people's issues.
I literally said if the next game has an easy mode that would be fine by me. Again, there is a lot of design points that intertwine with the difficulty. I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative, but I can already see where this is going when you say I'm trying to minimize people's issues. Like what the fuck are you even talking about.

It doesn't just effect Souls games. Never said it does. They also took away my license 5 years ago and I can no longer watch and play along with Wheel of Fortune. Anything else you need to know?
Nah, I'm good. I was more asking how an easy mode would help you with your eyesight problems.

Again, if you would go back and read my previous posts you would know I already went over this and outlined exactly one of my issues.
I'll do so after I'm done with the reply but...

Hey, good for you. So maybe you shouldn't feel entitled to step in and try to tell me how to handle my problem like you can relate..
I never did any of those things.

Oh dear. Thanks so much for your anecdote. I didn't realize over all these years I just needed tips and tricks from some of the gaming community that doesn't have my issue to "get good".
So what was your problem with the first hour of Bloodborne then?

Ah yes, because people with disabilities all have the same problem. It's just a matter of button remapping that can help with my eyesight issues, or a colorblind mode. Oh wait no it's closed captioning that will work for me and my eyesight problems.jfc
So you need better visible cues to get aware of things like parrying, cool. It's almost like your solution has nothing to do with an easymode. It doesn't make sense to make the parrying window bigger when the window they have now took them months or maybe even years of tuning. It's part of the combat balance. When a combat system is designed to only let you make so many errors, and you ask them to let you make more errors, you can cry inclusiveness all day if you want to, it's still not something I would call reasonable.

Because most devs are gamers as well and it's not an industry that is very welcoming to inclusivity. Evidence? Read through this thread or your own posts.
All I'm saying is that they can't be inclusive to literally everyone if they want to have even a semblence of design they want to follow. There is a shitton they can do, an easymode would be the last thing on that list they should consider.

Really? Because it sure as hell doesn't feel like that.
I'm sorry it came across like that then.

I mean, like I've said multiple times you couldnt even be bothered to read my previous post where I literally explained one of my issues and how I thought an easy mode could help and not change the game for anyone else.
Yeah, I don't have to read the entire thread to take part in a discussion. I'll also gladly say mutiple times that your last post was the epitome of throwing empty buzzwords around instead of forming a coherent arguent.

It's also very obvious you don't have experience with those with disabilities and lack empathy to say things like "just ask for help playing your games". Not that I expect much from the gaming community in regards to empathy. If it's one thing it's good at it's making people feel like shit.
Yeah it's very obvious I took care for a disabled person for over a year, literally hanging out withhim day by day, helping him with hisstudies, his sorrows, his daily routines, trying to get him included in society a bit, taking him with me to parties, trying to get him a girlfriend for the first time and so on and so forth. I love how quick some people are with their assumptions and jumping to conclusions. It's almost like you can't argue properly and have to resort to character assasination. Seriously, get lost with your bullshit.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna quote myself from another thread discussing this issue:

No one is arguing that the actual controls of these games shouldn't be made more accessible/customizable. There should be a color blind option to allow you to solve a puzzle as it was intended. There shouldn't necessarily be an option that makes the puzzle easier.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I agree with Ben. The difficulty and punishing nature is what makes From games stand out from the rest. It's very design promotes high tension gameplay and a feeling that you're always on the verge of control. That's Miyazaki's take on game design and it would simply not hit similarly if it were an easy romp through the different areas.

Accessibility is wholly different. I'm all for having colorblind options, remappable controls and the like. None of them should impact core game design.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I agree with Ben. The difficulty and punishing nature is what makes From games stand out from the rest. It's very design promotes high tension gameplay and a feeling that you're always on the verge of control. That's Miyazaki's take on game design and it would simply not hit similarly if it were an easy romp through the different areas.

Accessibility is wholly different. I'm all for having colorblind options, remappable controls and the like. None of them should impact core game design.

One way that difficulty options can help is that I know for me personally, I usually can find a way to adjust in a game, even if its on a day where I play it silently. Allowing for quick saves and more of an "at your own pace" progression in most games lets me work around surprises and ambushes.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Yup. People are mixing up difficulty with accessibility. Very much showcased in the thread that compares From games to Paradox games. Paradox games lacked accessibility due to convoluted ui design and lackluster tutorials. Something that they are clearly working on and have gotten better at with their releases after CKII.
From games don't have this problem. They are fairly straight forward, but difficult.
The difficulty is very much a core part of what makes their designs so good.
Trying to put "pressure" on From to alter their core design for the sake of easier difficulty (not accessibility) is a very bad. It's akin to the crowd that want diceless combat in war games. It changes the core of the design so much that the experience is altered. Let the developer make the design they want.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
For those advocating for easy/assist modes, how do you think multiplayer games should approach this problem?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Well that's not very nice or empathic, shame on you.

If you're the type of person that is stressed out by difficulty then you probably shouldn't play a game that is about overcoming difficulty. The only way to remove that stress would be to remove the difficulty and at that point you might as well just play a different game.

So yeah, I have absolutely no empathy for able-bodied people who want the difficulty removed from a game with difficulty at its core. Play something else.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
For those advocating for easy/assist modes, how do you think multiplayer games should approach this problem?

http://gameaccessibilityguidelines.com/basic/ has some suggestions, for various issues a gamer may stuffer from.

Matching levels of gamers with others of the same skill, sort of like Rocket League, helps. Offering assists that may be an advantage to anyone to level the playing field, a la Left 4 Dead CC. Playlists and servers for gamers who are ok playing without voice chat.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Skillbased matchmaking. Allow any type of controls to the player, yes this means mouse+keyboard on consoles. It's been rather controversial to some in the past, but considering how strongly people have said that special controllers are fine but difficulty options bad. I'd think this should be okay then.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What harm does having more options bring? The regular difficulty can be there for people who want it that way.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Skillbased matchmaking. Allow any type of controls to the player, yes this means mouse+keyboard on consoles. It's been rather controversial to some in the past, but considering how strongly people have said that special controllers are fine but difficulty options bad. I'd think this should be okay then.

I don't understand the appeal, but smurf accounts are pretty much rampant in every game with skill based matchmaking. It's pretty fucked and I'm not sure how it can be fixed because there's always a loophole or someone willing to straight up pay for another account if necessary.

And a hundred friggin' percent every game should support any input method. It's ridiculous that consoles have basically become PCs yet still don't allow for anywhere near the versatility. Nothing will ever come close to PC as being my main platform because I wouldn't trade being able to use whatever pad/mouse/keyboard/arcade layout/etc for anything. That's absolute priority for me over all else when it comes to hardware.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't understand the appeal, but smurf accounts are pretty much rampant in every game with skill based matchmaking. It's pretty fucked and I'm not sure how it can be fixed because there's always a loophole or someone willing to straight up pay for another account if necessary.

And a hundred friggin' percent every game should support any input method. It's ridiculous that consoles have basically become PCs yet still don't allow for anywhere near the versatility. Nothing will ever come close to PC as being my main platform because I wouldn't trade being able to use whatever pad/mouse/keyboard/arcade layout/etc for anything. That's absolute priority for me over all else when it comes to hardware.
Yeah I'm really no fan of Smurf accounts. Especially for f2p games it's hard to keep under control. I know CS:GO tried to counter it at some point atleast, but I think it's also f2p now.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah I'm really no fan of Smurf accounts. Especially for f2p games it's hard to keep under control. I know CS:GO tried to counter it at some point atleast, but I think it's also f2p now.

I never played CS:GO online. In Rocket League, they do a good job of pairing you up with either higher or lower skilled players to balance the team and generally smurfing is at a minimum. Anything I've experienced has only been a game or two.

There are actually difficulty options in Sekiro, the base game is, in fact, easy mode.

And if they need more assistance or a gameplay tweak from the base "easy mode"? What then?

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017

I just don't understand the appeal. Maybe someone can chime in with something logical, but it just seems... boring. Or even scummy. I don't get into online multiplayer often anymore, but the best matches for me personally regardless of genre have always been the ones where you're evenly matched. It was also motivating when you feel like you're lesser than you're opponent and need to reach their standard.

The most multiplayer I've had over the past year or so is playing fighting games locally. We get people who play them regularly and others who are just there for the pizza, beer, and laughs. It's an awesome time regardless of who you're facing, but those even matchups are clearly the most exciting for both who is playing and spectating alike. Heck, just having one buddy over for a long set in Tekken 7 is ridiculously fun all because it's a constant back and forth of momentum for an hour.

Edit: but damn, I've taken things off topic. Sorry, y'all.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I just don't understand the appeal. Maybe someone can chime in with something logical, but it just seems... boring. Or even scummy. I don't get into online multiplayer often anymore, but the best matches for me personally regardless of genre have always been the ones where you're evenly matched. It was also motivating when you feel like you're lesser than you're opponent and need to reach their standard.

The most multiplayer I've had over the past year or so is playing fighting games locally. We get people who play them regularly and others who are just there for the pizza, beer, and laughs. It's an awesome time regardless of who you're facing, but those even matchups are clearly the most exciting for both who is playing and spectating alike. Heck, just having one buddy over for a long set in Tekken 7 is ridiculously fun all because it's a constant back and forth of momentum for an hour.

Edit: but damn, I've taken things off topic. Sorry, y'all.
Honestly, I do think that being scummy is definitely part of the appeal. You get to stomp and verbally abuse players you deem lesser than you. Video game skill elitism is a thing. Though some do it to play with friends in ranked too I think, so it's not always with bad intentions.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I do think that being scummy is definitely part of the appeal. You get to stomp and verbally abuse players you deem lesser than you. Video game skill elitism is a thing. Though some do it to play with friends in ranked too I think, so it's not always with bad intentions.

See, now there's something I haven't thought of: wanting to play with friends. That I could see as an acceptable excuse.

But yeah, I guess you're right that some gravitate toward elitism and it is indeed scummy. That, or I could see a fear of failure driving a person to want easier matchups. Tying it back into the topic, I haven't realized there was so much anxiety over failing/dying/etc in a game until all this Sekiro talk recently. It's definitely prompting for a lot of complaints over difficulty.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What harm does having more options bring? The regular difficulty can be there for people who want it that way.
The harm is developers are wasting time and resources catering to people they had no attention of catering to. FROM wasting time developing Bloodbourne easy difficulty means we don't get Sekiro by March 2019.