• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

Here's some less-than refreshing news about soda: even sugar-free versions were associated with a higher risk of death in a study of 452,000 people in 10 countries.
The study, published Tuesday by the Journal of the American Medical Association, found that people who drank two or more glasses of soft drinks per day were more likely to die from all types of ailments, compared with people who drank less than one glass per month.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Higher risk of death? More than the 100% we already have?

This article is hard to follow and doesn't really go into the meaning of the stats. Other studies have showed that diet drinks trick your mind into craving sugar and other foods which leads to issues, but this study implies that simply drinking a diet soda will cause vascular disease. I'm not knocking the study, just the article. I'm sure there's more to it than this, but as it's written this seems like junk science.

For instance

The study, published Tuesday by the Journal of the American Medical Association, found that people who drank two or more glasses of soft drinks per day were more likely to die from all types of ailments, compared with people who drank less than one glass per month.

Well yeah. But what is the root cause? A similar study might show that people who drive twice a day are more likely to die in an auto accident than people who drive once a month.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be nice to see the study; wish I still had access to the journal. I'd like to see how they control for other dietary consumption - it seems as though people who are more likely to drink even diet soda in high quantities might also more likely to have unhealthy lifestyles/diets.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up,
people who drank two or more glasses of soft drinks per day were more likely to die from all types of ailments, compared with people who drank less than one glass per month.

60 sodas a month vs close to 1 soda a month. Gee I wonder who's healthier

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
People who are really healthy are drinking water.

I'm sure diet soda is better than regular but on average the typical person who feels the need to drink diet soda is probably doing so because they are disappointed in their overall health and they are trying to implement a positive change.

Zipzoom

May 27, 2019
People who are really healthy are drinking water.

I'm sure diet soda is better than regular but on average the typical person who feels the need to drink diet soda is probably doing so because they are disappointed in their overall health and they are trying to implement a positive change.
Or they just like the taste?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty extreme to drink less then one glass a month.
I wonder if making the healthy group outliers influences the results. I rarely have soda, but probably have 1 to 2 per month. I imagine the number that have less are fairly hardcore and likely focused on being healthy in general.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Okay Iwas going to come in here with the whole correlation/causation thing but who drinks two glasses of soda every day?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
What a joke. Find something better than correlation. I wouldn't be surprised if people with horrible diseases already drink lots of diet soda along with other things

I'm not giving up Sparkling Ice at $0.88 per bottle
91PgZ3-eenL._SL1500_.jpg

Feb 1, 2018
Doesn't "linked" imply correlation and not causation? "All types of ailments" is way too broad and I don't really see how diet soda specifically plays a part in that

Anyway, I'm here for a good time not a long time

Oct 25, 2017
That's a big gap though. If I said people who ate 2 hamburgers or more per day were more likely to die earlier than someone who ate a hamburger once a month, you wouldn't say hamburgers kill you, you'd probably wonder how many hamburgers will kill you.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As always evaluate the results of scientific studies in proper context and keep in mind the recognized limitations cited by the authors:

Limitations
To our knowledge, this study is the largest to date to investigate the association between soft drink consumption and mortality. However, it has several limitations. Given the observational design of the study, it is not possible to establish causality between soft drink consumption and mortality, and we recognize that the observed associations may be biased because of residual confounding. However, the large number of participants and recorded deaths (approximately 42 000) allowed us to conduct analyses by subgroups of other mortality risk factors, and we generally observed similar associations across subgroups of considered risk factors. Furthermore, the negative control analysis found no association between consumption of soft drinks and deaths from external causes. This study was also limited by a single assessment of soft drink consumption at baseline.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Didn't we get another study earlier saying getting too little sleep can kill you but sleeping too much can kill you too?

I just accept everything is trying to kill me all the time now.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like people who drink a lot of diet soda are not people with a healthy diet to begin with so I'm not sure I buy a direct correlation.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything in this study about the rest of their diet. If participants are eating a bad diet as well as diet soda, compared to someone who eats a healthy diet and doesn't drink diet soda, that doesn't mean the diet soda is responsible for the early death.

I think it's pretty likely that people who eat unhealthy also tend to have soda/diet soda in their diet, as opposed to people that actively choose a healthier lifestyle are more likely not to drink sodas.

Seems like people who drink a lot of diet soda are not people with a healthy diet to begin with so I'm not sure I buy a direct correlation.

You said it better than me, thank you.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Side note: Market Watch surfacing comments like notifications on the bottom-left of the screen is... not a good look. I don't want to be notified of each mindless comment as they come in. I can scroll down if I want to wade into the mud.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Or they just like the taste?
I just shifted from Coke to Coke Zero because I felt like the taste was close enough that I might as well. Coke Cherry Zero's where it's really at but I can never find any here.

It might save me from developing diabetes but my metabolism's good as it is, so it's done absolutely nothing for my weight.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, generally healthier people are less at risk of dying from random ailments than less healthy people. I don't think I need a study for that.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Only interesting part of that article

The study found differences in the health effects of drinks that contain sugar versus those that are artificially sweetened. Sugar-sweetened soft drinks were associated with digestive-disease deaths (a broad category that includes diseases of the liver, appendix, pancreas, intestines and other illnesses), while higher consumption of sugar-free versions was associated with deaths from circulatory diseases, including ischemic heart disease, also known as coronary artery disease.