• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I've thought about doing one as someone who has had a custom loop for a few years now but fuck at that maintenance. Also you obviously don't have a lot of options in terms of cases so aesthetics are basically out of the window. I wouldn't mind doing one as a project strictly for the experience but it wouldn't be my primary computer.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These look like a Tony Stark middle school science fair project.
Until one of them gains sentience and starts attacking parents, that is.

Really cool, though. As long as you don't spill that stuff.

Oct 29, 2017
Aren't these specialized fluids particularly expensive? Since you need several times the volume of liquid compared to the computer I can see why it is impractical, if so.
I know oil works as well though.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
These look like a Tony Stark middle school science fair project.
Until one of them gains sentience and starts attacking parents, that is.

Really cool, though. As long as you don't spill that stuff.
Shows how average tony stark is. Hank Pym cured cancer with a toaster oven when he was 6.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These aren't terribly uncommon but they are wildly impractical imo. First there's the weight meaning moving it as a single person for non lab use, is genuinely a chore. Then the reality that if you want to service or replace anything on it, there's way more considerations to make and steps to take than just popping off the side of a case.

They do look cool however, especially the ones that have sunken castles in them for added fun.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I remember watching people on TechTV back in the day making a mineral oil immersion cooled PC.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Now I want to make a computer and fish tank combo. Split by only a piece of glass. Put the fish in the front and the computer in the back.

I wonder if the liquid gets too warm though and would seep the heat to the regular water side hmm... oh well, I'm not doing this anyways lol.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Oil cooled electronics are common place in industry (every transformer on a power line is filled with oil for both insulation and cooling), but they're not very practical in a consumer setting. You could probably take the time to design a case with a more efficient use if space for the oil, but it would still be a pain to make any changes. And God forbid you get a leak.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

I build my own systems and I gave a lot of thought to building one of these a while back but considering the issues I had with my water-cooled bay systems it scared me off. Whenever you're dealing with fluids in a project like this leaks are eventually going to happen regardless of how vigilant you are in heading them off. The probability that you'll need to drain the PC to move it would be a pain also.

Now when I do water-cooling I buy the self-contained units like Corsair's water cooling series, they're great.
Try draining that when you need to do anything inside the computer.
This too. It shouldn't be common but still.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Back when I went all-in on building my first gaming rig, I considered doing this. Ultimately decided against it though, which was probably one of the few good decisions I made with it.

I still like the idea, but I'll pass. Maybe if I magically inherited enough money to retire and live an otherwise stress-free life, I might reconsider.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Back when I went all-in on building my first gaming rig, I considered doing this. Ultimately decided against it though, which was probably one of the few good decisions I made with it.

I still like the idea, but I'll pass. Maybe if I magically inherited enough money to retire and live an otherwise stress-free life, I might reconsider.
I got into fish tanks for a while and wanted to get some tips so I found a guy on YT who had the same tank as mine and posted almost daily. It was like watching a diary of the slow progression of a person losing control of their life and I would imaging maintaining one of these would take a similar level of effort.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I got into fish tanks for a while and wanted to get some tips so I found a guy on YT who had the same tank as mine and posted almost daily. It was like watching a diary of the slow progression of a person losing control of their life and I would imaging maintaining one of these would take a similar level of effort.
But the RGB could be sleek as pigeon shit

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
But the RGB could be sleek as pigeon shit
That much is true lol

My old transparent case with a whirlpool cooling bay was a definite conversation piece and I would imaging that something like this in your living room would be a thing to see. Thinking about it some more since the fluid wouldn't be moving it's probably not as hard to maintain as I imagined but still it would be hard to recommend to someone unless they're very committed to the craft.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty awesome technology. Seems to be the most useful in commercial settings like with server racks, when you're spending 20% of power just on the fans, this kind of system might make sense. I also imagine they have cases that make it easy to just slide entire core components out if you need to do any maintenance.

For people saying maintenance would be a problem if this was for your personal PC, if you're not changing components that often, wouldn't not having a fan mean no dust or any sort of buildup? Maintenance might be close to a non-issue, even with a fan when I had my gaming PC back in the day there wasn't a whole lot of maintenance except getting dust buildup out

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
That's pretty awesome technology. Seems to be the most useful in commercial settings like with server racks, when you're spending 20% of power just on the fans, this kind of system might make sense. I also imagine they have cases that make it easy to just slide entire core components out if you need to do any maintenance.

For personal use it definitely seems like overkill and would be a hassle any time you needed to do maintenance, though to be honest if you're not changing components that often, wouldn't not having a fan mean no dust or any sort of buildup? Maintenance might be close to a non-issue
Yeah, that was one of the positives I was thinking about earlier. Maintenance is already rare, I haven't touched my latest build since it was finished except to refresh the cooling paste and blow out some dust so this setup would be much less to worry about.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I first saw one of these at PAX and thought it was the coolest thing in the world until assessing how much of a chore it would actually be to maintain, drain, and deal with upgrades. But sure your PC doubling as a fish tank looks snazzy from afar.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Nope, Gary Testa

But yea that does look cool. Seems a bit hardcore. On the other hand, might be top tier for running Crysis with such good cooling ability.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Any time there is a case issue or a need to swap parts you typically need to go through a massive amount of hassle. So that's mostly why. Mineral Oil PCs look rad but it can take days to let it drain out fully when you want to swap stuff out.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
most computers don't need that much heat dissipation. Usually only for specialized lab equipment or demonstration rigs.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
They do look cool however, especially the ones that have sunken castles in them for added fun.
giphy.gif

because it's stupid.
Gosh, Lain.

I remember watching people on TechTV back in the day making a mineral oil immersion cooled PC.
I bet that was a very regular machine.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Considering that something like Fluorinert looks to cost around $2k a gallon from googling around, I'm guessing that's why.

I suppose you could use mineral oil, but that could be really messy. In either case, a leak would be a huge pain to clean up.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I had to attend the big annual VMware event last year for work, at it some guy I was seated next to in a seminar insisted on showing me a video about his company's use of this for some ultra mainframe they built with IBM. Can't remember dude's company name. But I thought it was kind of cool if a pain to maintain. There's already plenty of ways to reduce and remove heat from large systems.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
just make the case big enough that you can jump in with a diver suit to replace parts. this way you don't have to drain the case.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
If you're not planning on replacing your parts and you're absolutely confident that everything is sealed up and water tight, I see no issues with this technology. I'd be happy saving 20% of my PC's electricity bill, especially if I decide to take up my 3D hobby and make it into a career.

I think you'd have to have a built in release valve and hold your PC case over the bath if you ever needed to upgrade or perform maintenance.

Think this is a much better solution than Microsoft storing servers under our oceans.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Anyone want to go into business with me making water/airtight PC rigs for the use of this fluid? šŸ˜†