• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
RIP. What a player. Flawed as a person obviously (who isn't??) - but added to the enigma.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
RIP to a great man personally and professionally.

During a meeting with Pope John Paul II at the Vatican in 1987, they clashed on the issue of wealth disparity, with Maradona stating, "I argued with him because I was in the Vatican and I saw all these golden ceilings and afterwards I heard the Pope say the Church was worried about the welfare of poor kids. Sell your ceiling then amigo, do something!"

1105-02.jpg

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
My dad showing me Maradona's performance at the World Cup '86 on VHS shortly after Germany beat Argentina in the World Cup Final 1990 is one of my earliest childhood memories. Incredible athlete at the time and a true legend.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
to me he was more gifted than pele, messi, ronaldo and did it at the biggest stage more often

sad his off-field life stifled his career. Rest easy

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best of all time, if not the best. Bit of a shame he died with just 60, but then again, with his lifestye it's not exactly some surprise.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
a transcendent figure despite his off field issues and that cheating in a certain game lol. well actually the latter probably contributed to it. very few people have that kind of personal touch to them as he did.

some real sporting icons have died this year.

Last edited:

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
If you haven't, watch the HBO documentary on him that came out last year. It was fantastic. The story about how Italy and the authorities turned on him after the 1990 World Cup was wild.

RIP.
I heard a story that he told Naples to cheer for him over Italy when Argentina faced them at that World Cup, angering the rest of Italy.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a pretty casual soccer fan so I had never heard of him until a few months ago but some of these videos, man it was like he controlled the ball at will, like it was just an extension of him, RIP

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit :(

RIP

He played before my time but my dad used to tell me so much about him. How he used to wake up early on Sundays to watch him play at Napoli and how he always did something amazing every game.