• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
DynamicSushy

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Nintendo is where the money is on Youtube, I don't blame anyone for focusing on them.

Try counting the Xbox or PlayStation focused Youtube channels with 100K+ subscribers, you can probably do it on one hand.
I wouldn't watch an Xbox or Playstation focused Youtube channel either. Channels that focus on cool games regardless of platform get my attention.

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I didn't even remember that as I haven't watched them in years. Just checked and, yeah, there's definitely a lot of Nintendo stuff, more so than anything else. I guess those just get more views, for one reason or another

I wouldn't watch an Xbox or Playstation focused Youtube channel either. Channels that focus on cool games regardless of platform get my attention.
Then I'm sure a channel like The Game Maker's Toolkit would be right up your alley, assuming you're not already watching them

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo retro mini consoles "largely dominated" everywhere.
And there is a reason.

I was going to say this. Its likely about demand. YT isn't a super easy platform to be successful on. If people like that content then there's nothing you can do about it. May as well scream about the Nintendo mini consoles being waaaaaaaaaaay more successful than any of the others while you are at it.

/shrug

OP
OP
DynamicSushy

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Careful what you wish for. Sure, it's irritating to me how many people have such a narrow scope for their content, but I often find that those people don't tend to delve as deeply into content they feel less passionate about, and pushing them to cover stuff they care less about will only hurt the quality of the content in most cases.

Anyway, if you feel strongly enough about this, then just make proper use of the subscribe/unsubscribe buttons. You'll often find that less-popular stuff does find some coverage from lesser-known YouTubers, so you may uncover a hidden gem in that sense. I drifted away from Retronauts when it became clear that they couldn't really do Sega content much justice outside of the better-known stuff. That said, I did stumble upon Sega Lord X, and he releases new content very regularly and with a high level of quality (not to mention an impressive level of detail).
I'm not subbed, but it is definitely my fault for letting youtube recommend me their stuff when I can say I'm "not interested." But they do put out stuff every once in a while that I AM interested in, so I keep it around just in case. I've got a handful of channels that cover stuff I like (or didn't know I liked), I just felt the need to bring this up since the Nintendo bias is so apparent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DYKG a group of people?

I'd feel less inclined to make these criticisms if the channel was run by one person to be honest

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Can somebody explain the "3rd person dad" bannable joke? Why is it so funny?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
#4 should've been #2
what a zinger out the gate lol

please just say older when you mean older. we don't need to keep feeding this tired old "maturity" horse that leaves its droplings all over the place. or, to phrase it another way, encourage this "maturity elitism" *cough* *cough*.

Nope I really do mean mature. I find the PS/Xbox focused Youtubers who focus on almost nothing other than console wars immature AF and I am not going to apologise for thinking that way. There are teenagers who are mature beyond their years getting into all facets of gaming and then you have grown ass men in their 30s screaming into their microphones about teraflops and exclusives.

OP
OP
DynamicSushy

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Honestly, I didn't even remember that as I haven't watched them in years. Just checked and, yeah, there's definitely a lot of Nintendo stuff, more so than anything else. I guess those just get more views, for one reason or another

Then I'm sure a channel like The Game Maker's Toolkit would be right up your alley, assuming you're not already watching them

Definitely heard that name thrown around a lot. I should check it out, thanks!

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to stick with more of the UK based youtubers for retro coverage like Kim Justice. Far broader range of systems covered, an actual memory of the era of micro computers and that arcades existed.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Xbox launched in 2001. The PlayStation launched in 1994. For comparison, Donkey Kong came out in 1981 and the NES in 1983. We're more than twice as far from the PS1 than the PS1 was from the NES.

It's definitely not based on Nintendo having "Double the history".
Xbox is one year short of being double. I guess Sony is closer, even if Nintendo was already making games before donkey kong, but even then, how many of the franchises that started there are still going?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the vast majority of content in these DYKG videos is repackaged findings from The Cutting Room Floor, which skews very heavily towards older sega and nintendo games due to the longer history of communities digging into those games. If you go through TCRF and look at which games have the most findings, they tend to correlate to the games DYKG does episodes about.

It's not really a nintendo bias, it's that their source for content skews heavily in that direction.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Companies like Sega, Konami, Namco, Electronic Arts, Capcom, Activision, etc. have been around for decades and seen a lot of people come and go. There's also (sometimes now-defunct) companies and studios that have an interesting history because they were starting points for a bunch of individuals and game studios with more fame. You could touch on Nintendo only when it's necessary for your article or video to tell a "complete" story and still have tons of content with lots of people and games that have had an impact on the industry and overall "culture" (for better or worse).

Part of the problem is that you have to do the usual research like find stuff like old magazines or obscure TV programs, then for many of the long-running Japanese companies the average person is going to need someone to translate that source material because it's unlikely a good translation already exists, which is an added time and cost expense. Add in the usual Youtube algorithms and general demand being greater for things like "Nintendo trivia" and it's not necessarily going to be something with a big return on investment. Just how things go unfortunately.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm not subbed, but it is definitely my fault for letting youtube recommend me their stuff when I can say I'm "not interested." But they do put out stuff every once in a while that I AM interested in, so I keep it around just in case. I've got a handful of channels that cover stuff I like (or didn't know I liked), I just felt the need to bring this up since the Nintendo bias is so apparent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DYKG a group of people?

I'd feel less inclined to make these criticisms if the channel was run by one person to be honest
I'm not sure how many people make content for that channel, honestly, as I don't watch many DYKG videos. It ultimately doesn't matter, though, as even Retronauts had to invite other people on for Sega content, and the content still suffered for it, because the regulars simply weren't as engaged.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
From my experience watching random streamers there is definitely Nintendo people and when I say that I don't mean console warrior stuff I mean that they only play Nintendo games and ignore the rest of video games. I'd say Nintendo people are the most exclusively Nintendo in comparison to other brand warriors.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I've been calling them DidYouKnowNintendo for a while, you can only hear about Zelda facts for so long.
I've unsubbed long ago.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Nope I really do mean mature. I find the PS/Xbox focused Youtubers who focus on almost nothing other than console wars immature AF and I am not going to apologise for thinking that way. There are teenagers who are mature beyond their years getting into all facets of gaming and then you have grown ass men in their 30s screaming into their microphones about teraflops and exclusives.
re: bolded - yea obviously, cause they are.
but you were talking about a "more mature audience" coming from larger scale backwards compatibility efforts (hence my point about just saying older since that is exactly what you're poking at with the BC stuff) that would want to consume retro content/speed runs etc and not about shitty teen youtubers making shit videos who need to grow the fuck up stat.

I've been calling them DidYouKnowNintendo for a while, you can only hear about Zelda facts for so long.
I've unsubbed long ago.
but did you know tingle looks like koji kondooooo

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
KDriMB.gif

3OpJ.gif
I wish I liked Uncharted 4 MP more/it was more like Uncharted 2 and 3 MP. These taunts were AMAZING. NaughtyDog hired dancers to motion-cap them for these.
I miss Uncharted 2 and 3 MP so much. Shame they weren't in the Nathan Drake collection.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
It's not funny. It's a tired meme (largely on this forum with people pushing the "sad dad game" nonsense) about Sony's games because a whopping two of them involve a relationship between parents and a child.
Yeah I always wondered where the sad dad meme came from.

How many Sony games have sad dads? I count TLOU and GoW. I guess you can count DS as well if you want to stretch it.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree it's super weird they don't do more episodes about 8/16-bit computers considering they share office with Ashens and Nostalgia Nerd.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Thing is Nintendo didn't have the market to themselves until playstation was released so it's no real excuse.
Capcom, Konami, Hudson, Sega have a long history as well and content related to these companies combined is a blip
The reason why Nintendo is the company with the strongest "classic mindshare" isn't due to a specific point in time.
Nintendo is in a unique position where they've kept built over their legacy for decades without diverging from their path, in return this gave Nintendo games a massive exposure through time which is constantly supported by popular new entries directly linked with the iconic content of the past.
Most of the past console manufacturers have died out by early '00s (Sega, Atari, NEC/Hudson, SNK, Bandai, 3DO Company) while Nintendo kept investing money and resources on pivotal games and marketing for the following 20 years.
The console manufacturer that remained (Sony and Microsoft) use a third-party driven strategy and are more focused on what's cool at the present.
In stark contrast Nintendo has kept continuity of the game experiences they offer through decades and utilize a first-party driven strategy.
Nintendo stood firm behind their way even when the industry began to follow a different path and a key factor why this was possible was that they own their ecosystem meaning they could choose the direction to pursuit.
Think about Switch's mega hits (10M+, 20M+, 30M+ selling games) and how they diverge so much from the top sellers on PS4 and XBO.
Now think about the influx of old and new fans catered around those mega hits, part of them (I'm not just talking about Nintendo long time fans but also more casual users and kids) will naturally gravitate toward Nintendo's legacy content thanks to the high level of exposition and the unbroken continuity that Nintendo have fostered long the past 40 years (many of those mega hits have direct ties to the '80s and '90s).

Quick copy & past from a segment of a longer post I've written a few days ago which highlight the ideological difference between Nintendo and PlayStation/Xbox.
A quick glance over the best selling games in US for NSW, PS4 and XBO would reveal a stark contrast between Nintendo consoles and the others.
First the proportion between first-party and third-party games is the opposite but more strikely the games in there are totally different in term of style, genre and audience appeal.
If Nintendo was dropped in the other ecosystems they would need to compete against the combined investments of a bunch of big companies (game publishers but also console manufactures) that goes in a different direction compared to Nintendo.

Courtesy of Mat Piscatella (NPD)

ETj6NprUMAIX7O8

ETj6KwMUMAEYN-A

ETj6MYOUYAEpaf3

Said that it's really saddening (and boring) how the focus is so much on Nintendo classic content at the detriment of other great games but here lie another problem (aside from popularity) which is...
the vast majority of content in these DYKG videos is repackaged findings from The Cutting Room Floor, which skews very heavily towards older sega and nintendo games due to the longer history of communities digging into those games. If you go through TCRF and look at which games have the most findings, they tend to correlate to the games DYKG does episodes about.

It's not really a nintendo bias, it's that their source for content skews heavily in that direction.
Which is why the few videos about retro gaming I watch tend to be about niche subjects (like Gaijillionaire) or content produced by people who are clearly passionate (like Sega Lord X or Game Sack).
I couldn't care less about videos whose behind the production value lie just a few minutes of search on Internet.

Last edited:

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

GVMERS

GVMERS is a channel that specializes in videogame-related content such as documentaries, analyses and other types of videos.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
There's another major thing y'all should be aware of - This was mentioned by SwankyBox in one of his videos:

In the era of the AdPocalypse, Nintendo is one of the few gaming-related subjects that isn't Monetization Poison. It's not a matter of audience size, but of the subject matter of anything Non-Nintendo having a significantly greater risk of getting Demonetized AND also, as far as people are aware, screwing said channel's standing with The Algorithm™ in the process. IE, basically the only way it's fiscally viable for him to do non-Nintendo content (Which he wants to) within YouTube's labyrinth of invisible rules governed by omniscient bots is to make a separate channel for that content and have it be a complete drip-feed compared to his normal content.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yeah it's something I've noticed over the past year or so. It's sucks since Nintendo trivia is what I'm least interested in but I get it, it's not only what a lot of people love but probably themselves too.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I laughed my arse off at a joke posted on this thread which, I assure you all, I'm afraid to quote.
Lmao

There's another major thing y'all should be aware of - This was mentioned by SwankyBox in one of his videos:

In the era of the AdPocalypse, Nintendo is one of the few gaming-related subjects that isn't Monetization Poison. It's not a matter of audience size, but of the subject matter of anything Non-Nintendo having a significantly greater risk of getting Demonetized AND also, as far as people are aware, screwing said channel's standing with The Algorithm™ in the process. IE, basically the only way it's fiscally viable for him to do non-Nintendo content (Which he wants to) within YouTube's labyrinth of invisible rules governed by omniscient bots is to make a separate channel for that content and have it be a complete drip-feed compared to his normal content.

Now THIS is pretty interesting. Seeing people constantly criticize Nintendo for their copyright infringement claims, this is surely surprising.
Also I fail to see the problem, OP. There are tons of channels dedicated to what you're looking for

Oct 27, 2017
Didyouknowgaming has done worse... much worse.

This is an advertisement disguised as a trivia video.

WOW, so disgusting that they have a sponsored video literally stated as a such in the description

Check out Arknights on iOS & Android devices: https://app.adjust.com/xmhow91 -- https://www.arknights.global/ -- Thanks to Arknights for sponsoring this video. Please note our research information in this video doesn't represent the views of Yostar Games or Hypergraph.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo stuff dominates on youtube, why? Because youtube is dominated by children. Am I doing this right?

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo stuff dominates on youtube, why? Because youtube is dominated by children. Am I doing this right?
Honestly, yes. Since it targets a four-quadrant audience, it probably helps in bringing a sizeable audience for the channel. Making use of nostalgia even from people who don't play much currently, it reaches more people.

But what other people said, it's maybe also because of the creators' own interest (Similar to GameXplain). And the monetization situation as some post above explained...