• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 21, 2019
I noticed this with a couple of channels then went from small to big while transitioning to a lot of Nintendo content. Obviously it's supply and demand and they need the clocks and the Nintendo crowd seems to be the biggest audience.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Thing is Nintendo didn't have the market to themselves until playstation was released so it's no real excuse.
Capcom, Konami, Hudson, Sega have a long history as well and content related to these companies combined is a blip

They didn't have the market to themselves but in comparison they were by far the biggest, most influential and most popular game maker in the world. History also includes their general popularity in comparison to everything else.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
They didn't have the market to themselves but in comparison they were by far the biggest and most popular game maker in the world. Their history also includes how popular their franchises became and have been since.
I mean sure but not to the point of utter total domination to this extent that channels feel the need to not cover anything else!
There's enough great games on PSX and PS2 for there to be a really interesting effort in discussing what happened there (and even limit yourself to Squaresoft/SquareEnix to boot).
The almighty algorithm is probably also to partly blame on this over focus on Nintendo as well.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How to be a successful nintendo
Youtube channel. Talk about the gamecube, use the forest theme from super mario rpg, live stream yourself reacting to directs.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I mean sure but not to the point of utter total domination to this extent that channels feel the need to not cover anything else!
There's enough great games on PSX and PS2 for there to be a really interesting effort in discussing what happened there (and even limit yourself to Squaresoft/SquareEnix to boot).
The almighty algorithm is probably also to partly blame on this over focus on Nintendo as well.

I think you are underselling their history. No video game maker comes even close to the history of the contingent of franchises like Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Pokemon and Smash Bros. have. The countless transformations, innovations and changes they've been through, their retained value and influence today from over almost 40 years ago and the mystique of Nintendo development process - there is just way more to talk about.

Jaimonster

Jan 15, 2018
Used to watch them a lot back in college. But when they made their alignment with JonTron plus dissing off the Trans community [and then calling it out on twitter without a proper apology, they just shrugged it off], I made the choice to stop giving them my time and views.
Out of curiosity, I checked their channel and I am impressed at the lack of actual improvement that 3-4 years made... Same format, same weird narrator voice [seriously, he sounds like a deep early smoker according to my dad] and same monetary clickbait plan.
I dont know how bored people will have to be to check their content. But again... This is Youtube, the algorithm is king there.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I've watch this channels content from time to time but the parts that kind of annoy me is they frequently cover pretty common facts (which they repeat often) and in a number of cases have made errors that are not hard to verify (their bits on GBA Video carts had errors).

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Used to watch them a lot back in college. But when they made their alignment with JonTron plus dissing off the Trans community [and then calling it out on twitter without a proper apology, they just shrugged it off], I made the choice to stop giving them my time and views.
Out of curiosity, I checked their channel and I am impressed at the lack of actual improvement that 3-4 years made... Same format, same weird narrator voice [seriously, he sounds like a deep early smoker according to my dad] and same monetary clickbait plan.
I dont know how bored people will have to be to check their content. But again... This is Youtube, the algorithm is king there.
Yeah wasn't aware of that, they're never getting another view ever again.

I think you are underselling their history. No video game maker comes even close to the history franchises like Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Pokemon and Smash Bros. have. The countless transformations, innovations and changes they've been through, their retained value and influence today from over almost 40 years ago and the mystique of Nintendo development process - there is just way more to talk about.
No I mean it.
While Nintendo is indeed a rather deep well you can draw from that doesn't mean you can't do anything at all for others.
Sega is a pillar of the Arcade for a longer time Nintendo was even making games, they've got interviews and shit going on and there's definitely things to be said.
There's not even that much you can say about Nintendo's development process.
Basically everything is in Iwata Asks with sparse interviews they did over the years.
Outside of that you're basically scrapping for content (or stealing smb twitter for content really).
They're also rather hard to reach too.
so the pool of what can be said is even smaller there.
I cannot believe that there is no interest in making vids related to some other popular games.
Heck look up twitch, Nintendo is absolutely not dominating the place like they're doing gaming youtube

How to be a successful nintendo
Youtube channel. Talk about the gamecube, use the forest theme from super mario rpg, live stream yourself reacting to directs.
Even JimSterling is doing Direct Reacts vids!

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Retro PlayStation and Xbox content on Youtube just doesn't do that well, period. I hope this changes at least on Xbox as the continued BC efforts might attract a different (read, more mature) audience who will be ready for more Xbox retro videos on Youtube (speed runs, trivia, reviews, history etc). A lot of it after all is down to accessibility after all: anyone curious can easily find roms and emulators for Nintendo consoles and from there their appetite for Youtube videos about this stuff grows.

Sure, but i dont think its due to lack of interest in said content from the fanbase. Its somewhat of an anglocentric view on it, cause Sega consoles did better in places where english isnt the main language, so logic dictates more insightful commentary would not be in english and thus not widely avaliable for most people. Using Brazils example for instance, retro scene here was mainly sega up to the playstation onwards being more sony focused. We get a lot of quality content for old sega console and games here, but not only they do not have familiarity to people outside here, the main barrier is the language one, content in portuguese is just not going to get big views on youtube. Also disagree about avaliability of roms being a point in favour of nintendo cause its just as easy to get classic sega roms, if anything its EASIER after nintendo ninja lawyers went ham on the most popular romsites around.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but i dont think its due to lack of interest in said content from the fanbase. Its somewhat of an anglocentric view on it, cause Sega consoles did better in places where english isnt the main language, so logic dictates more insightful commentary would not be in english and thus not widely avaliable for most people. Using Brazils example for instance, retro scene here was mainly sega up to the playstation onwards being more sony focused. We get a lot of quality content for old sega console and games here, but not only they do not have familiarity to people outside here, the main barrier is the language one, content in portuguese is just not going to get big views on youtube. Also disagree about avaliability of roms being a point in favour of nintendo cause its just as easy to get classic sega roms, if anything its EASIER after nintendo ninja lawyers went ham on the most popular romsites around.

Oh well Sega is a whole other discussion distinct from the Xbox/PS issue, after all Sega have been out of the console business for longer than they were ever in it as such the audience skews a lot older whether you are in Brazil or the UK (both countries where the SMS and MD did great). Nintendo has a steady stream of younger people brought up on whatever the newest Nintendo console is at the time who then get curious about what Nintendo consoles came before, Sega will never have that again.

Ergo a Nintendo Youtuber has an audience that constantly replenishes itself with new blood to overcome any churn and has potential for growth, the Sega audience however is pretty stagnant.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah wasn't aware of that, they're never getting another view ever again.

No I mean it.
While Nintendo is indeed a rather deep well you can draw from that doesn't mean you can't do anything at all for others.
Sega is a pillar of the Arcade for a longer time Nintendo was even making games, they've got interviews and shit going on and there's definitely things to be said.
There's not even that much you can say about Nintendo's development process.

Great example with Sega there. Where are Sega's franchises now (or rather the last 20 years) other than Sonic? How popular/relevant are they in the modern market?

Now ask the same questions with the Nintendo franchises I listed previously and compare contemporary Sega to Nintendo as a brand in general. Sonic is a perfect outlier because he is probably talked about the most outside of Nintendo franchises on YouTube as he is still relevant today and has a long history in the industry. It's almost like there are similarities there!

Not sure where you are going with that there is not much to say about Nintendo's development process. There obviously has to be and obviously is and that's what people try to find out. The mystique itself surrounding the development makes it so people are more fascinated and interested to learn more about their games because it is not shoved in your face from the developers themselves. Even on this site you see it with people like EAD Ninja who has been trying to document and generally investigate Nintendo's first-party output for decades now.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Alright, fun police.

It's legitimately a terrible post that does nothing but shit up the discussion here and yet there are over ten people in this thread that think it's worthwhile. I have no idea why anyone would bother defending that post unless they unironically agreed with it. It's not even funny!

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It's legitimately a terrible post that does nothing but shit up the discussion here and yet there are over ten people in this thread that think it's worthwhile. I have no idea why anyone would bother defending that post unless they unironically agreed with it. It's not even funny!

It's pretty funny.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Careful what you wish for. Sure, it's irritating to me how many people have such a narrow scope for their content, but I often find that those people don't tend to delve as deeply into content they feel less passionate about, and pushing them to cover stuff they care less about will only hurt the quality of the content in most cases.

Anyway, if you feel strongly enough about this, then just make proper use of the subscribe/unsubscribe buttons. You'll often find that less-popular stuff does find some coverage from lesser-known YouTubers, so you may uncover a hidden gem in that sense. I drifted away from Retronauts when it became clear that they couldn't really do Sega content much justice outside of the better-known stuff. That said, I did stumble upon Sega Lord X, and he releases new content very regularly and with a high level of quality (not to mention an impressive level of detail).

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I kinda get it though.
Retro Xbox/Playstation stuff is mostly from that early 3D era, which just didnt age nicely imo.
Retro PC stuff is different because 1 its still aviable due to the nature of pc, and 2 because Retro PC stuff also aged kinda roughly.

It's a shit post.

It's a shit post.
Only shit is you thinking sony needs you to defend them.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
they just found their audience is mostly Nintendo. It's one that is ageless and is really almost the Disney of Video Games. So they stick with what works. Some channels cater towards different areas of the industry.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Might be the most ridiculous and most undeserving ban I've ever seen here. Good gravy, people. :/

Is ban-reversal a thing?

It's a shit post, a console-warrior move immediately followed by the usual "just a joke" schtick. I have never, ever seen a poster make this sort of post that doesn't show a pattern, sooner or later.

Hell, he even made a follow up post in this very thread to double down.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
They did the odd video by Sony and Microsoft franchises didn't they? If they did they didn't get enough views, nintendo = clicks I suppose

Oct 26, 2017

I don't find it funny =/= it's not funny.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude I say this as someone who takes shit way to seriously at times, breathe.

Sony makes a lot of sad dad games, that's it. No more then jokes about Nintendo making platformers. As long as there not being serious(which that post clearly wasn't) it's fine. I love my PlayStation and I still laughed.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I get a lot of YT recommendations for stuff about older games and systems, and its for several systems (I have seen a lot of stuff about Sega systems and the Neo Geo). But its all before the Playstation for the most part.

Don't see much arcade stuff either.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Nintendo games have a long history and trivia on them. Many of their games are rather quirky so even a basic question as to why clouds have eyes can spawn curiosity from it.

Also despite the meme that only adults play their games there are new kids getting to know their games, anecdotally I have met some that know trivia and games before they were even born. The COD kid is just happy with some shootbang, twitch viewing, swearing here and there.

What would you even say about Sony games? There's already plenty of youtube channels dedicated to how many teraflops are required to render third person dads

This got me good LMAO

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I don't find it funny =/= it's not funny.

Oh wonderful we're in the "opinions can't be wrong" part of the discussion.

Dude I say this as someone who takes shit way to seriously at times, breathe.

Sony makes a lot of sad dad games, that's it. No more then jokes about Nintendo making platformers. As long as there not being serious(which that post clearly wasn't) it's fine. I love my PlayStation and I still laughed.

That poster was banned for that post.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Great example with Sega there. Where are Sega's franchises now (or rather the last 20 years) other than Sonic? How popular/relevant are they in the modern market?
:/
There is so much I would give for a proper Shining Force
KindheartedNervousCornsnake-poster.jpg

Now ask the same questions with the Nintendo franchises I listed previously and compare contemporary Sega to Nintendo as a brand in general. Sonic is a perfect outlier because he is probably talked about the most outside of Nintendo franchises on YouTube as he is still relevant today and has a long history in the industry. It's almost like there are similarities there!

The interesting part here is that the demo scene for Sonic is actually the biggest there can be, probably even deeper than Mario here.
i mean we even have cancelled games in watchable form! We even have people making Dream versions of the thing.
My point isn't that it's a mystery why nintendo content is so prominent, my point is that it shouldn't be that hard for youtubers to branch out of Nintendo.
And the crazy part about the Nintendo content is the sheer diversity of it too.
You want a channel that talks about the much of freaking Pikmin, ask and you'll receive!
Games are such a collection of artistic products mashed together that it's a mystery there's not more successful channels dedicated to literally everything else.

Not sure where you are going with that there is not much to say about Nintendo's development process. There obviously has to be and obviously is and that's what people try to find out. The mystique itself surrounding the development makes it so people are more fascinated and interested to learn more about their games because it is not shoved in your face from the developers themselves. Even on this site you see it with people like EAD Ninja who has been trying to document and generally investigate Nintendo's first-party output for decades now.
I'm saying that most of everything is really public knowledge these days or in Japanese interviews that are mostly off limits to western audience.
And scratch everything I said before, I can't actually find a single vid on youtube about Nintendo's Q fund but top Gamecube games?
Oh boy do I have something for you.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Personally I think it's a bad precedent to have a load of people saying "It's okay to shit up the thread if I find it funny." At the risk of shitting up this thread myself, I will ungraciously bow out while you all worship the comic genius that is "omg sony just makes a bunch of games with trees lmao"

Lol don't come at me with that nonsense when trying to pass off your opinion as unassailable fact.

lmao

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Personally I think it's a bad precedent to have a load of people saying "It's okay to shit up the thread if I find it funny." At the risk of shitting up this thread myself, I will ungraciously bow out while you all worship the comic genius that is "omg sony just makes a bunch of games with trees lmao"

lmao
You've replyed the most and shit up the thread yourself by complaining about a joke that Sony gamers only care about "prestige games"

Nintendo has a few extra generations of history given them an advantage when doing these kinds of videos.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
I think that nintendo has a bigger fanbase for this type of stuff because their secrecy when making games, while other devs just release as much info as they can to inform and hype the base themselves.

What would you even say about Sony games? There's already plenty of youtube channels dedicated to how many teraflops are required to render third person dads

Cmon mods... i gave a side glance to my ps cases and got a chuckle out of it...