• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
(It's not that I JUST realized this, it's just that I'm bothered enough to talk about it)

Sure, they have had one-offs for Street Fighter, Silent Hill, and Resident Evil, but there's also a plethora of videos about obscure facts about Mario, canceled Nintendo games, canceled Pokémon games, ADVANCED SUPER SMASH BROS TECHNIQUES (wtf) and facts about a few Sega games (mainly Sonic and nothing else)

Obviously, the channel is not for me but their stuff gets recommended to me constantly on YouTube. I personally believe a channel with such a huge following could shed light and bring attention to a lot of other franchises out there, as well as live up to their channel name. But perhaps business is business and they chose to stick with their demographic.

Who am I to tell anyone how to run their channel, but that's just personally how I feel considering how many people watch their content, plus the fact that they do talk about other franchises, just not nearly as frequently as the usual suspects.

What do y'all think of this, and also what channels would you recommend for game facts about other franchises?
This has been a criticism I have of them for a while now.

Look I get that covering such popular stuff attracts viewers of that interested fandom, but for fuck's sake, at least make one that also falls within the name of your own fucking channel.

Like 1 video on something 'popular' and one on any other system or game (franchise). Their output lately is a snorefest. How desperate and uninspired do you have to be to make a video on 'history of rumors for game/series X'

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really get why everyone thought that banned post was funny. It's a beaten in the ground driveby joke post. That's like the new equivalent to what used to be saying all nintendo games being the exact same rehashes.
Seriously, that joke's been dead and buried longer than a PS protag's beloved family member.

:-p

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
(It's not that I JUST realized this, it's just that I'm bothered enough to talk about it)

Sure, they have had one-offs for Street Fighter, Silent Hill, and Resident Evil, but there's also a plethora of videos about obscure facts about Mario, canceled Nintendo games, canceled Pokémon games, ADVANCED SUPER SMASH BROS TECHNIQUES (wtf) and facts about a few Sega games (mainly Sonic and nothing else)

Obviously, the channel is not for me but their stuff gets recommended to me constantly on YouTube. I personally believe a channel with such a huge following could shed light and bring attention to a lot of other franchises out there, as well as live up to their channel name. But perhaps business is business and they chose to stick with their demographic.

Who am I to tell anyone how to run their channel, but that's just personally how I feel considering how many people watch their content, plus the fact that they do talk about other franchises, just not nearly as frequently as the usual suspects.

What do y'all think of this, and also what channels would you recommend for game facts about other franchises?
Do you read HG101? They cover LOTS of old and obscure games and series and even have a podcast

So if, like me, you have a knack for wanting to discover about various video game series and the like that aren't covered by the average gaming channel, def. look it up.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
A reason could be that Nintendo has a lengthy pre-internet history and even nowadays are kinda secretive about their games and businesses, which add mystery and a lot of interesting untold stories for channels like this to turn into content.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I don't really get why everyone thought that banned post was funny. It's a beaten in the ground driveby joke post. That's like the new equivalent to what used to be saying all nintendo games being the exact same rehashes.
The difference is that the funny post gets a ban, while making the tired jokes about Nintendo games being the same is ok.

Its like the channel, all attention on Nintendo.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
What would you even say about Sony games? There's already plenty of youtube channels dedicated to how many teraflops are required to render third person dads

Don't worry about him guys, he's just taking a nice cinematic walk down a somewhat lengthy hallway with a very heavy door at the end of it. Plenty of time for him to have a good chat during it.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Don't really think that comment was worth a ban. Surely right know, a funny line that raises a laugh or two is pretty harmless in the scheme of things. Ripping the piss out of a video game isn't going to hurt anyone...is it?

Anyway, there are plenty of YouTube channels out there to cover whatever "side" you're on.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
that's bull

Its a mix of "nintendo stuff gives more views" which is related to the second point of "most of these content creators are from north america where nintendo largely dominated, so its more nostalgic to them and viewers"

I don't know, I think there is some truth to this. Quality Xbox and PlayStation focused content on Youtube sinks without a trace while the gobs on sticks making low quality/effort vlogs parroting fanboy talking points about console wars are two a penny. If I was looking to get into the Youtube game as a side hustle, I would focus on Nintendo too as I can't imagine how demoralising it must be to make a quality well researched video over several days about something OG Xbox related that racks up a a couple hundred views only for some dribbling fanboy to get a few thousand views everyday regurgitating stuff they read on Twitter while some footage from COD or whatever plays in the background.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It's funny because you have channels like Gamexplain that were pretty much essentially Nintendo stuffs that do much MUCH more now.
Anyone know of a good Sony/MSFT only gaming channel and I don't mean let's play but like analysis and stuffs.

What would you even say about Sony games? There's already plenty of youtube channels dedicated to how many teraflops are required to render third person dads
RIp your notif when you get back.
Don't tell anyone it wasn't worth it though.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Alright, if this is a problem, how about this:

You're in the didyouknowgaming office, new hire, fresh blood with different interests than the content so far, and the team needs a new game to make a vid about by next sunday that hundreds of thousands of people will watch, in order to keep up the profits. Something iconic. Something everyone remembers and recognizes and would like to know more of, even if they never played it.

What game did you immediately think of that interested you? Did they do a video on that game before? And if so, how many views did it achieve compared to the others?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I think there is some truth to this. Quality Xbox and PlayStation focused content on Youtube sinks without a trace while the gobs on sticks making low quality/effort vlogs parroting fanboy talking points about console wars are two a penny. If I was looking to get into the Youtube game as a side hustle, I would focus on Nintendo too as I can't imagine how demoralising it must be to make a quality well researched video over several days about something OG Xbox related that racks up a a couple hundred views only for some dribbling fanboy to get a few thousand views everyday regurgitating stuff they read on Twitter while some footage from COD or whatever plays in the background.

Part of it is probably because the traditional gaming media is all about Sony/Microsoft/AAA in general.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe because Nintendo has double the history in the industry than others. Even the things you mentioned are from really old franchises. Doing a entire video of interesting trivia demand a large history so you can pickup the most interesting stuff.

Also, Nintendo tends to be more obscure of how they do their business, while others are more transparent. So, most of the facts of game development of others franchises are already common knowledge.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Still don't see the correlation between nintendo content being more popular and "nintendo fans like trivia more". It's not like ONLY trivia nintendo related videos get popular to begin with. I'm not contesting nintendo videos are more popular, just this notion that the userbase likes a type of content more than others.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't bother that much but they sometimes really scrap the bottom of the barrel sometimes.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Cripes. I hope the Gamexplain guys don't read this or they might change their content to cater to this guy.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It seems to be a common trend with a lot of channels I follow over the last couple of years. Big or small, they've gone from a wealth of diverse content to Switch or Nintendo only content. Many of them have devolved into quick and cheap updates any time there's Switch rumor or petition to add a new character to Smash. PC/XB/PS content and ports might get a soft mention. Even more amusing, this is usually done in front of a backdrop of piles of Xbox and PS collections or collectibles. I guess this is just the way of things. Nintendo content seems to bring in ridiculous views. It just leaves long-time viewers who are interested in other content feeling left out in the cold.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Encouraging platform wars; mod-whining
Legitimately funny post.

This is the nofunallowed.jpg of all threads.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well youtube channels dont have huge teams like gaming magazines or sites. They probably are doing what they find cool personally.

See angry joe (barely anything nintendo related) or gamexplain (almost only nintendo)

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
As someone who once tried to create content for social media I can tell you that sometimes what you want to talk and what your audience wants to hear isn't the same thing, unfortunately

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
that's bull

Its a mix of "nintendo stuff gives more views" which is related to the second point of "most of these content creators are from north america where nintendo largely dominated, so its more nostalgic to them and viewers"

There's no real evidence to support it, sure, but Nintendo content being so pervasive is not only limited to youtube videos. In speedrunning, a lot of the biggest most popular games are Nintendo games, and speedrunning marathons tend to be packed with Nintendo games. In modding, Nintendo games are some of the most well known and frequently modded, just think of how many Mario or Pokemon mods there are out there, and how some of the most extensive and high quality hacks are Nintendo related (AM2R, Pokemon Prism). Even in emulation, it feels like Nintendo emulators always progress much faster than anything else. Like we already have pretty good Wii U and 3DS emulators out but Xbox and Vita emulation are still in a poor state.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Their stuff is also pretty widely known at this point. It's less "Huh" and more "Well.. yeah, duh"

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Maybe because Nintendo has double the history in the industry than others. Even the things you mentioned are from really old franchises. Doing a entire video of interesting trivia demand a large history so you can pickup the most interesting stuff.

Also, Nintendo tends to be more obscure of how they do their business, while others are more transparent. So, most of the facts of game development of others franchises are already common knowledge.

Yeah, not much more to be said here. Sony and Microsoft come not even close to the history Nintendo has in the industry so it is only natural.

And not sure where the problem is anyway. Just look at AngryJoe for the opposite example.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Man that joke was good, maybe not worth it good, but good none the less :p

As for the channel itself, well it's not really DidYouKnowGaming but more DidYouKnowYourNintendoTrivia tbh. There are plenty of games history focused channels out there to not really bother me though

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
There's no real evidence to support it, sure, but Nintendo content being so pervasive is not only limited to youtube videos. In speedrunning, a lot of the biggest most popular games are Nintendo games, and speedrunning marathons tend to be packed with Nintendo games. In modding, Nintendo games are some of the most well known and frequently modded, just think of how many Mario or Pokemon mods there are out there, and how some of the most extensive and high quality hacks are Nintendo related (AM2R, Pokemon Prism). Even in emulation, it feels like Nintendo emulators always progress much faster than anything else. Like we already have pretty good Wii U and 3DS emulators out but Xbox and Vita emulation are still in a poor state.

Youre conflating mods with hacks, nintendo games are NOT the ones with most mods or biggest modding communities out there.
Speedrunning is a moot point too cause outside of SM64 and Zelda OOT (two titans which are just fun to speedrun and watch) theres nothing particular about nintendo games as a whole and other games get as much more attention. And the reason nintendo emulators work faster than the others is because nintendo gets more exclusives than the others, tons of overlap with pc/sony/ms, not so much with Nintendo (specially not before the switch)

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because you have channels like Gamexplain that were pretty much essentially Nintendo stuffs that do much MUCH more now.
Anyone know of a good Sony/MSFT only gaming channel and I don't mean let's play but like analysis and stuffs.

RIp your notif when you get back.
Don't tell anyone it wasn't worth it though.

There's Mystic (PlayStation), outside xbox and Xbox On but there's no GameXplain equivalent.

Still don't see the correlation between nintendo content being more popular and "nintendo fans like trivia more". It's not like ONLY trivia nintendo related videos get popular to begin with. I'm not contesting nintendo videos are more popular, just this notion that the userbase likes a type of content more than others.

Retro PlayStation and Xbox content on Youtube just doesn't do that well, period. I hope this changes at least on Xbox as the continued BC efforts might attract a different (read, more mature) audience who will be ready for more Xbox retro videos on Youtube (speed runs, trivia, reviews, history etc). A lot of it after all is down to accessibility after all: anyone curious can easily find roms and emulators for Nintendo consoles and from there their appetite for Youtube videos about this stuff grows.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, not much more to be said here. Sony and Microsoft come not even close to the history Nintendo has in the industry so it is only natural.
Thing is Nintendo didn't have the market to themselves until playstation was released so it's no real excuse.
Capcom, Konami, Hudson, Sega have a long history as well and content related to these companies combined is a blip

There's Mystic (PlayStation), outside xbox and Xbox On but there's no GameXplain equivalent.
I'll check Mystic out thanks.