• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
(It's not that I JUST realized this, it's just that I'm bothered enough to talk about it)

Sure, they have had one-offs for Street Fighter, Silent Hill, and Resident Evil, but there's also a plethora of videos about obscure facts about Mario, canceled Nintendo games, canceled Pokémon games, ADVANCED SUPER SMASH BROS TECHNIQUES (wtf) and facts about a few Sega games (mainly Sonic and nothing else)

Obviously, the channel is not for me but their stuff gets recommended to me constantly on YouTube. I personally believe a channel with such a huge following could shed light and bring attention to a lot of other franchises out there, as well as live up to their channel name. But perhaps business is business and they chose to stick with their demographic.

Who am I to tell anyone how to run their channel, but that's just personally how I feel considering how many people watch their content, plus the fact that they do talk about other franchises, just not nearly as frequently as the usual suspects.

What do y'all think of this, and also what channels would you recommend for game facts about other franchises?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Boundary break got similar complaints but Nintendo content seems to get more views with some exceptions

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like you said, maybe they just know their audience or personally have a passion for Nintendo.

tusk

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
What would you even say about Sony games? There's already plenty of youtube channels dedicated to how many teraflops are required to render third person dads

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, noticed that, too, that's why I un-subbed a good while back. Still interesting stuff in general but I have no connection to 90% of the stuff they talk about.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it would be cool to see more topics outside of Nintendo, but I guess a lot of stuff that isn't Nintendo isn't that interesting to people? It doesn't really bother me either, but I would like to see more Xbox and Playstation stuff. Maybe that stuff is just information that's harder to come by?

My biggest issue with them is where they put the question mark, lol.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of tech channels that focus almost exclusively on Apple products.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I mean you should take advantage of this and cover the other games. Could be a market there.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's probably plenty of general purpose channels that ignore Nintendo, or MS, or Sony, in some instances. It happens.

Oct 27, 2017
What would you even say about Sony games? There's already plenty of youtube channels dedicated to how many teraflops are required to render third person dads
4398a6a742609c104dfd483ec200a015.gif

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean Chuggaaconroy has been going 12 years and still hasn't covered a game that is impossible to play on a Nintendo. TheRadBrad plays every 'AAA' new release for at least a part or two and rarely gives Nintendo games a chance.

There's plenty of options depending on what you want.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the development of Nintendo titles is always a more interesting subject because their projects seemingly go through so many reworks while in the oven compared to other studios. Like I watched a retrospective of ALBW yesterday and the bit that covered the development of the game was a trip.

Bruhhh

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I have this issue with a lot of retro channels actually, to the point I probably wont subscribe if I go to a page and see mostly Nintendo content. I want broader coverage than that.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the biggest issue i have with most retro-themed channels, they're mostly huge "only Ninty matters :3" wankfests.

I guess it just brings more views though so it can't be helped.

DoctorDave

Nov 6, 2019
Why wouldn't they anyway? It's a private Youtube account, it's not like anybody else has a say in the matter. If you don't like the content, don't watch it.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I have this issue with a lot of retro channels actually, to the point I probably wont subscribe if I go to a page and see mostly Nintendo content. I want broader coverage than that.
Yeah, that's the biggest issue i have with most retro-themed channels, they're mostly huge "only Ninty matters :3" wankfests.

I guess it just brings more views though so it can't be helped.
I'm guessing many of the retro-themed channels originated in US/Canada, where the NES was much more dominant than any other gaming machine at the time.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): Encouraging platform wars. Modwhining.

lmaooo
EDIT: banned for making a good joke smh this place

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah It's a shame and it's sadly something that's not unusual for a lot of channels. I like channels with a more broad selection of topics.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to browse their stuff almost daily at one point, but yeah they tend to concentrate on too many same-y stuff. When there's so many cool easter eggs, development secrets and whatnot that could be uncovered about other indies, triple-A games from other publishers and whatnot, after a while it became "let's find anything even remotely curious about Nintendo". Like I swear that I've seen them talk about developers' parents at one point.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably just a mix of Nintendo content being more popular (bringing in more views) and Nintendo fans being more likely to be interested in random trivia/retro content than other fanbases.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
This is an odd take, scrolling through their video feed I see 1-3 non-nintendo videos in literally every row of 5 for as long as I scrolled. Hardly "one-offs" or "barely covering" them.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo channels/video's do INSANELY well on youtube. I imagine its because nintendo's first party releases are few and far between, and they are pretty coveted. So when people cant play a new zelda game, or access an old one for that nostalgia hit, they will go to youtube for it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing many of the retro-themed channels originated in US/Canada, where the NES was much more dominant than any other gaming machine at the time.

Probably. It's too bad though, because during the 90's the PC had some of the most iconic games in the history of gaming. Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Half-Life, Age Of Empires, StarCraft, WarCraft, Diablo, Myst, Carmageddon. Their level of attention to detail would be cool to have on such classics, too.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Someone should start an equivalent channel for non-Nintendo stuff then.

Content creators do what they enjoy so, if this channel finds Nintendo more interesting, they should continue as such.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The only thing I've noticed about DYKG lately is that they essentially do a lot of compilations (or "extras" as they like to call them) about a mish-mash of stuff, along with a completely unrelated segment at the end, all by the same narrator.

It's kind of baffling and looks as if they're running out of material, which I find very hard to believe since there are a lot of subjects to make videos about when it comes to video games.

Oct 27, 2017
Their non-Nintendo stuff is generally pretty good, so I wish they did more of that. Nintendo in general doesn't really interest me, so I just ignore those videos *shrugs*

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I mean, in terms of the big three, Nintendo has a decade on the other two in games alone and has been around as a company for 100 years. Makes sense that they'd get SOME more focus. It may also be a factor of the fanbases for these different properties and companies since most of their information doesn't come from their own independent research so much as it does the communities of those games.

Like, I am not aware of a platform that has more technical research than the SNES. Especially in regards to the big-name games like Super Mario World and A Link to the Past where ROM hacking has been a thing for a long time and is only getting more prevalent. Maybe I am just not aware of that with other consoles, but Nintendo fans seem to like to tinker...a lot.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is where the money is on Youtube, I don't blame anyone for focusing on them.

Try counting the Xbox or PlayStation focused Youtube channels with 100K+ subscribers, you can probably do it on one hand.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Well, they seem to primarily focus on good retro games which means a lot of Nintendo.

"Did You Know...?" as a concept is a lot less interesting if it's about recent anything.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo fans being more likely to be interested in random trivia/retro content than other fanbases.

that's bull

Its a mix of "nintendo stuff gives more views" which is related to the second point of "most of these content creators are from north america where nintendo largely dominated, so its more nostalgic to them and viewers"