• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Diddy Kong Racing or Mario Kart 64?

• Diddy Kong Racing

Votes: 377 69.7%
  • Mario Kart 64

Votes: 164 30.3%

• Total voters

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Diddy Kong Racing easily.

The best kart racer from that gen wasn't even on the N64 though.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
DKR pretty handily. More vehicles, better handling, an Adventure Mode, it really was ahead of its time. Cornerstone of the N64.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Diddy Kong Racing, no doubt.

Can't wait for Playtonic to take a crack at Yooka-Laylee Racing.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I wish DKR would get the Crash / Spyro remake treatment

It's a great kart racer, and it'd be nice to have a definitive version (since they mucked up the DS version by adding some really tedious touch-screen challenges)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I wish DKR would get the Crash / Spyro remake treatment

It's a great kart racer, and it'd be nice to have a definitive version (since they mucked up the DS version by adding some really tedious touch-screen challenges)

My hope is it ends up on NSO at least because of Nintendo and Microsoft playing nice.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Snowboard Kids 1/2 > Diddy Kong Racing > Mario Kart 64

22d7fc53087745a3b0ac43847be03a8e.gif

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Diddy Kong Racing is the GOAT kart racer you don't even need a poll for this.

Oct 30, 2017
DKR. Replayed it this year and finally beat Wizpig, which I could never do as a kid (probably because I never knew you had to let go of the A button before a boost panel to get a bigger boost). Then I immediately did the second Adventure. Then I beat the Time Trial ghosts. It's that good.
The DS version is weird though. You have to blow into the mic to get a starting boost and stuff like that.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Diddy Kong Racing quite easily. Has a single player campaign, multiple vehicle types, far better graphics and music.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
in a dream world, the original, unaltered DKR would get a magical 60fps patch. that uneven frame pacing otherwise kills it for me.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Crash Team Racing.

I found Diddy Kong Racing to be more frustrating than fun, even though I kinda liked the premise.

In Mario Kart 64, I just fooled around in Time Trials exploring the courses.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Diddy Kong Racing is so underrated. Who would have thought to blend a Kart Racer and an adventure collectathon and it would be one of the N64's best games. It still holds up to this day. Also, shout out to the soundtrack by David Wise.

Edit- Oh, and let's not forget the first appearances by Banjo and Conker (before he became an alcoholic).

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
DKR, best kart racer on the N64.

I enjoy MK64, but it's rubber banding AI is the worst.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Diddy Kong Racing and that is not even a contest. Everyone who says Mario Kart K64 did not play DKR back in the day and is blinded by the name value of MK.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Era knows what's up. Diddy Kong Racing destroys MK64 and it isn't even close.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Diddy Kong Racing by a long shot. And if I'm being honest, it's still better than all of the Mario Karts that have released afterwards. One of the best soundtracks in gaming and there is no luck to save you. Either you're skilled to win or you will lose. Plus, that awesome Adventure Mode!

Sadly, it seems to be trapped forever on the Nintendo 64. Maybe one day Nintendo, Rare and Microsoft can come to an agreement for a Switch Online release or something.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I haven't played either since I was like 7 so I can't tell if the poll results are people joking or not

tenor.gif