• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I always took it as an accident, one he enjoyed but apologized for.

... Japan was doing a lot of that with their Tenchi and Love Hina characters at the time, so I took it as another part of that cringe-y trope.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty sure it was intentional.

They were trying to establish Zidane as the scoundral theather troupe thief.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't one of Zidane's core traits that he was a sleaze bag?
Yes.

I swear, some people want to white wash everything in the sense that if something is wrong, it's not allowed to be portrayed. It's like cutting rape scenes from Game of Thrones simply because rape is horribly evil. Well, yeah, but it would still happen in a world like that - or in any world really. That's the cold hard truth and integral to a story like that.

Nobody is excusing Zidane's behavior simply because he's the hero of the story.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Dudes a ladder athlete and she is lacking in ladder climbing speed... there was little he could do to avoid it!

F4raday

Jul 4, 2019
Except that one time he wanted to run away from the responsibility of running a kingdom, fuck the poor people after all.

Running away from responsibilities doesn't make him guilty of sexual misconduct, now does it.

And I mean, he left the kingdom in the capable hands of a beloved sexual predator, so all was well wasn't it?

That's not what I said at all, but great job framing it like I did. I even prefaced by saying it's unacceptable.

Eh, I wasn't aiming at you my good man, just the creators. You were correct in your assessment, it was the creators who treated his sexual misconduct as a joke.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I wasn't aiming at you my good man, just the creators. You were correct in your assessment, it was the creators who treated his sexual misconduct as a joke.
Sorry, that totally went over my head. I get ya now. There's some truth to what you're saying.

In the end the thing that matters most is the audience's reaction, so if it's not aging well it only makes Zidane's characterization look worse - which is fine I guess.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Except that one time he wanted to run away from the responsibility of running a kingdom, fuck the poor people after all.
Or, ya know, he left it in more capable hands. This was fairly explicit and would you rather have a ruler who cares and wants to do it or one who is forced into it and does everything half-hearted?
He did NOT grab her butt.

He shoved his freaking HEAD into it!!
Honestly, this is what I remember and why I would have assumed it legit was an accident. The soft comment is just, well, a comment.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's... admittedly somewhat a product of its time, but doesn't negate how much of an issue it was back then (and is worth discussing). Unfortunately, Zidane's behavior was popular in Children's media at the time, which carried over to video games as well.

Honestly, this reminds me though, every time I go through the Honey Bee Inn section in Final Fantasy VII, as someone who's gay, I just shake my head a lot of times about the stuff that Cloud is subjected to in both of those rooms.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nah I don't think so. He accidentally bumped into / touched her ass when they were rushing up the ladder and then made a joke about it.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Two of my buddies argued this.

One said he bumped his head by accident and made a (shitty) joke.

The other said that he grabbed her pants by accident and was referring to the pattern.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
zidanes characterization is he flirts and acts arrogant to cover his insecurities. blank and then are always talking about how hes actually in love and was never very successful with women. It doesnt excuse it, but i believe it was an accident that zidane tried to make light of, since thats what he does.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
A few days ago in another thread I listed why I absolutely hate FF9, Zidane is part of it. So unlikeable and a total creep.

aLoneWalker

Attempted to create multiple alt accounts
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
Why is people so shocked to see these things in a japanese game?

F4raday

Jul 4, 2019
Or, ya know, he left it in more capable hands. This was fairly explicit and would you rather have a ruler who cares and wants to do it or one who is forced into it and does everything half-hearted?

Honestly, this is what I remember and why I would have assumed it legit was an accident. The soft comment is just, well, a comment.

Capable hands of a sexual predator. But he's clearly a competent ruler, so all is well! There are no real world parallels here whatsoever!*

(in all seriousness, outside of Edgar's sleazy antics, this was my favorite secondary storyline of the game and I actually tear up a little every time I play the game when the brothers reunite and reminisce the last days of their father).

*mostly because our sexual predator overlords are anything but competent.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

I swear, some people want to white wash everything in the sense that if something is wrong, it's not allowed to be portrayed. It's like cutting rape scenes from Game of Thrones simply because rape is horribly evil. Well, yeah, but it would still happen in a world like that - or in any world really. That's the cold hard truth and integral to a story like that.

Nobody is excusing Zidane's behavior simply because he's the hero of the story.
Ya the rape complaints in GOT always baffled me.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Funny because i still remember this from 20 years ago, wasnt there more "ladder jokes" I hated them.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, feeling up a girl's but is sexual assault. now all we gotta do is find Zidane in real life and bring him to justice.

i heard he's back at Madrid coaching actual rapists again.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I swear, some people want to white wash everything in the sense that if something is wrong, it's not allowed to be portrayed. It's like cutting rape scenes from Game of Thrones simply because rape is horribly evil.
Ya the rape complaints in GOT always baffled me.
The issue many people had with the rape scenes in GoT is that many of them were invented/not actually shown in the books. Critique about a show's poor handling of subject matter that the showrunners themselves invented is not whitewashing. It's pointing out pure schlocky shock value as pure schlocky shock value that's actively hurting the storytelling instead of helping it.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Capable hands of a sexual predator. But he's clearly a competent ruler, so all is well! There are no real world parallels here whatsoever!*

(in all seriousness, outside of Edgar's sleazy antics, this was my favorite secondary storyline of the game and I actually tear up a little every time I play the game when the brothers reunite and reminisce the last days of their father).

*mostly because our sexual predator overlords are anything but competent.
Oh, that became known over the course of the game, for sure. He was still a capable leader and clearly loved his people (some more than others, obviously...) but I also never liked him as a character, ever. It honestly kind of bugged me that he was one of the 3 characters you HAD to get during the World of Ruin. I would have much rather had it be Sabin and he ends up taking over as king of Figaro until you find Edgar. even through the very small adjustments in the translation I knew Edgar was making passes at Relm and that made me feel more than a little uncomfortable at the time.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The issue many people had with the rape scenes in GoT is that many of them were invented/not actually shown in the books. Critique about a show's poor handling of subject matter that the showrunners themselves invented is not whitewashing. It's pointing out pure schlocky shock value as pure schlocky shock value that's actively hurting the storytelling instead of helping it.
I think that's a whole other discussion and tbh I agree that they didn't need to add them in most cases(I can't actually remember each scene beyond Sansa's). Maybe GoT was a bad example.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, at the time unfortunately this kinda of stuff was more usual than today and men would say It was an accident or joke. I remember teenagers at School at the time doing the same stuff.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
He is a teenage street kid. Flirtatious, brash, big headed and kind of a jerk at the start of the game. It was probably an accident but he enjoyed it.

We trying to cancel final fantasy characters from 20 years ago now? Lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.