• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Some Mormon friends I knew in grade school were the same. Which was weird, because one of the very, very, VERY few nice things I can say about the Mormon church (well, at least the one I was forced to go to until I was 7, at least) was that they didn't demonize Halloween. My church had candy, apple-bobbing, a haunted house, the works.
It's funny because my mom is totally hang out have a beer normal now. She's been through numerous churches and seen the Republican/hypocrite way and she wants nothing to do with any of it. She's probably still spiritual though which is cool.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
They would take a quick look first, yea. My dad always took a Snickers treat, and my mom any corn candy - she loved it, I hated it.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Nope, the whole "drugs and needles" panic hadn't reached here yet when I was a kid.

I think my mate checks his kids nowadays, I get it..better safe than sorry.

Deraldin

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my trick or treating was mid 90's. My parents would help us sort everything and would officiate trades between my brother and I to ensure that all trades were fair value. I don't recall them ever confiscating anything on me though and if they had been looking for things that were tampered with they would never have come out and told me that at the time.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
No but they wouldn't let me eat anything that wasn't in proper packaging. They didn't check but it was still a rule they had.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I check for things they need to be careful about, like no jawbreakers for younger child, informing them this other thing is a toy and not a gummy (elder kid took a bite out of a squishy ball before I could take it 😬), things like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Both my kids have peanut & tree nut allergies so I went through their haul and about half of it ended up in the garbage. I replaced with candy I bought.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
American culture has a lot fear and distrust even towards its own people. I wonder why that is.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
My parents either checked my Halloween candy or had me check it myself. I don't have kids, though I think I probably WOULD check their candy if I did. I mean, there ARE cases in which things that shouldn't have been found in candy were found in candy around Halloween, and we do live in a world in which people leave poisoned food in places where people walk their dogs. There are a lot of shitty people out there. No harm or shame in taking some extra precautions.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Never allowed to go trick or treating (non-american) "you're not poor, you're not going to go round the streets begging"

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I don't check it explicitly, but I usually sit with my kids and look at what they got. Just cause... I like them. They like showing me. I get whatever they don't want. Its a win-win-win.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
We never trick or treated nor celebrated Halloween. It's only now I'm older I dress up and watch spooky films. So my parents had no need to check. Can't get razor blades in candy if there is no candy. Was my parents logic.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yeah my mom would "check" it cause she knew if she didn't hide some of it I would get sick cause I would just go to town.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Never trick or treated, but there's a bit similar custom for easter. But no, parents didn't check the candy.

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely dipped into my stash when I was at school but no, they didn't do inspections.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Yes, they did. And if I had kids I would check anyways...there was a house on my street a few years ago that gave candy... And a very weird nudie like cartoon sticker that was very inappropriate for little children. Everyone was talking about it on my street.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
62e1eb696dbe.jpeg

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
No, my parents never did. They did warn us to throw away homemade stuff from people we didn't know though.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Now I just feel kinda bad for everyone who worked hard making cool homemade treats :(

Trick or treating wasn't really a thing here when I was a kid (plus i lived in countryside) so I never did it and I dont/wont have kids. I've bought some packaged stuff from the shops for tomorrow tho.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Of course we heard rumors about razor blades and poison and were told not to accept apples for that reason but other than that no. I was an early 2000's kid. people were worried about terrorists at that time. terrorists.......attacking our neighborhood...... on Halloween....

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Either i was trick or treating before the craze happened or my parents knew it was a bullshit craze. I just came home and ate my candy. Although, with my kids i tax them a ressee's cup a pop because i am a son of a bitch.

Oct 27, 2017
We didn't have Halloween here when I was little no idea if it has take hold here yet, but it's getting more and more popular.

We did something like it, after christmas we went around dressed as old ladies to sweep out christmas and get a treat, I was doing it with my older brother and we got some treats but mostly we got shots of OP and homemade booze. So i got drunk after two houses at the age of twelve. My mom was not happy about that, but eh it's tradition haha.

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to update and say I'm giving out candy this year and at least 1/3 of parents keep telling their kids "don't eat it now, we have to check it first!"

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Every Halloween in the 80's and early 90's when we got home my parents would make me spread my candy out on the floor and we would go through everything together. Anything that looked weird, suspicious or opened we would throw away. Any candy I didn't like we would bag up and my parents would eat it.

I have the exact same tradition for my kids.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I just check for stuff that is already open or weird stuff I know they are going to hate. I still let them try the gross candy before I trash it if they want, but no reason to surprise them with gross candy and have them spit it on the floor. They are still young but know enough to toss out anything that wasn't sealed. Most of the unsealed stuff we get is from parade though because it gets stepped on.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Most of my trick or treating was mid 90's. My parents would help us sort everything and would officiate trades between my brother and I to ensure that all trades were fair value. I don't recall them ever confiscating anything on me though and if they had been looking for things that were tampered with they would never have come out and told me that at the time.

I'm guessing they swiped on the DL

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Now I just feel kinda bad for everyone who worked hard making cool homemade treats :(

Trick or treating wasn't really a thing here when I was a kid (plus i lived in countryside) so I never did it and I dont/wont have kids. I've bought some packaged stuff from the shops for tomorrow tho.

We except cool home made treats from the neighbors we know, we also got a hot bowl of chili from another neighbor (which is amazing on a cold night)

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I was raised and lived (well still live with one) by my grandparents and they never checked my Halloween candy.

The whole thing of people tampering with candy by putting razors or poisoning it is mass hysteria. Like IIRC the only example of someone doing the latter (poisoning) was some dad who killed his son with some poisoned candy (I think it was Pixy Sticks) and gave some others to kids his son was trick or treating with to throw off police and make them think it was a case of a crazed candy tamperer and not someone murdering their own kid.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My parents checked mine and sent all of the "questionable" Ones to my uncle who said that if it were really laced with something it'd be a nice bonus.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody ever been trick or treating and gotten handed religious pamphlets instead of candy? Had that happen a couple of years ago. Also had these people who wanted kids to tell them whether or not they had accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and savior before handing over candy. I didn't allow my kids to approach that.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
When I was growing up, we always went to the mall and just trick or treated at the shops there, but my mom would still check.

As a parent now, I still check, just in case, but I'm not super worried about it being dangerous.