• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did your gym habit change after the outbreak?

• Yes

Votes: 471 50.2%
  • No

Votes: 308 32.8%
  • Waiting till shit really hits the fan

Votes: 160 17.0%

• Total voters

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Gym's closed, so it'll be body weight stuff at home for now. I should probably buy some dumbbells if things don't improve soon.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I decided not to go for now, but mostly because my dad is over 60 and has a history of pneumonia. Better safe than sorry and I can do body weight stuff at home for the time being

Edit: there has been community transfer in a county over so it could get bad

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm using the 50 model and they are really great, changing weights on the fly is super convenient. There are some restrictions though due to the form factor, a lot of exercises requiring two hands on a dumbbell becomes problematic, you might be able to find a good grip, but most of the time it feels awkward and unsafe. I just do them at the gym instead, not worth getting injured. But for the rest I find them perfect. The amount of space you save is so worth it.
Cool, just purchase the 90 model online.

I was hoping to buy the compact stand and not the column to save space (which I believe the stand can't support the 90) but still looking around.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I recently signed back up for the gym on a month to month membership but since I can't get wipes, I quit again. : /

Seanjeezy

Oct 30, 2017
Seattle
I live in Seattle, was going to my work gym on Capitol hill but switched to the anytime my girlfriend goes to by where she lives in Des Moines (small suburb south of Seattle) because I work at a public college and we just switched to full closure this week. Mostly use barbells but was already wiping down equipment with disinfectant pre and post use and now I even use hand sanitizer between sets to be extra cautious and actively avoid touching anywhere near my face. The anytime I go to now has about 50% the foot traffic my work gym has, which is like 5-10 people max and makes me feel a lot better about continuing to go despite the circumstances. If working out from home was an option I would rather do that but I have nowhere near the space or setup to lift some heavy ass weights lol

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Yes. I just recently bought a bunch of extra weights for my bar, and I fabricated a squat rack at work so I can squat at home. Desperate times..

F8Uzmid.jpg

wFK9nJa.jpg

Would something like this work better?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Seattle, was going to my work gym on Capitol hill but switched to the anytime my girlfriend goes to by where she lives in Des Moines (small suburb south of Seattle) because I work at a public college and we just switched to full closure this week. Mostly use barbells but was already wiping down equipment with disinfectant pre and post use and now I even use hand sanitizer between sets to be extra cautious and actively avoid touching anywhere near my face. The anytime I go to now has about 50% the foot traffic my work gym has, which is like 5-10 people max and makes me feel a lot better about continuing to go despite the circumstances. If working out from home was an option I would rather do that but I have nowhere near the space or setup to lift some heavy ass weights lol

You can get a great workout with body weight exercises.

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
I am currently sick and will be waiting a full week or two after my symptoms disappear to consider going back to the gym. I think I would be a little less likely to catch something as it is a class format, and not a publicly open gym, so the amount of traffic to go through there is a lot less.

But still, I am going to go crazy if I can't lift. Maybe I should start investing in a power rack for my garage.

Seanjeezy

Oct 30, 2017
Seattle
You can get a great workout with body weight exercises.

Oh definitely, I already do bodyweight/band/dumbbell work on my off days but more for active recovery. Nothing beats a barbell for s/b/d/ohp though, but I guess if even the gyms start to close around here then I don't have a choice, which is very possible since everything else around here is closing

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
In Japan, I went today after taking 2 weeks off(I was sick for a week). They ran out of alcohol wipes and replaced it with a spray. Way more students are going to the gym now. With those wipes gone, not really sure I want to be going now...

Char

Dec 9, 2017
I just want to remind us all to keep our exercise easy to moderate and to recover well for up-regulation of our immune systems. Be mindful that intense weight or endurance workouts can depress our immune systems. Take it easy out there…

How to Train and Eat to Boost Your Immunity from Coronavirus
Exercise studies, including Nieman's and many others, show that regular, modest exercise boosts immunity, and lowers your risk of infection. That's the good news—and the reason so many scientists believe that running and other regular exercise is a healthy, body-strengthening activity.

On the other hand, hard, continuous, long-effort exercise like marathons and ultra marathons can lower your resistance for 24 to 72 hours, and lead to increased colds and respiratory illnesses for a week or two. Too much exercise volume and intensity turns the corner on the J—and your risk of infection goes up.

Recovery of the immune system after exercise
Abstract
The notion that prolonged, intense exercise causes an "open window" of immunodepression during recovery after exercise is well accepted. Repeated exercise bouts or intensified training without sufficient recovery may increase the risk of illness.

Exercise and the Regulation of Immune Functions.
Abstract
Exercise has a profound effect on the normal functioning of the immune system. It is generally accepted that prolonged periods of intensive exercise training can depress immunity, while regular moderate intensity exercise is beneficial.

The increased stress of heavy/intense/prolonged workouts and the ensuing down-regulation of the immune system tends to correlate with prolonged activation of the sympathetic nervous system which can be tracked using Heart Rate Variability measurements if you'd like a more objective measure of your training stress and recovery.

Would wiping equipment before use be good enough or would it not matter ?

A simple wipe wouldn't be enough, but you can spray the equipment's surface with a disinfectant (for instance, 62-71% ethanol or 0.5% hydrogen peroxide) and let it sit for 1 minute to kill Coronaviruses then wipe it off and be fine.

Persistence of Coronaviruses on Inanimate Surfaces and Their Inactivation With Biocidal Agents
The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62-71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute. Other biocidal agents such as 0.05-0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective.

These Common Household Products Can Destroy the Novel Coronavirus
CR shows you how to use them and tells you which products to stay away from

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I never did go to the gym - got my exercise from biking to work. But now that I'm working from home, I'm gonna make sure to keep up biking just for fun, and probably start doing some dumbbell stuff too

Jac_Solar

Oct 28, 2017
You picked up one of Jigsaws discarded blueprints? Can't imagine the justification for this in a living room with weights on each end.

lol. :D I really want to squat.

What makes you so concerned about this, though? What, specifically, do you think I should adjust? Would love to hear any specific fixes.

Yeah that would be perfect. I live in Norway, though.

Anyone got good grip strength exercises? I can shadow box, job and hit a heavy bag in my garage but I'm worried about losing ma gains at the climbing gym

Hangs, or one handed hangs. If you can do over 30 seconds 1 handed hangs, then weighted hangs. And "fat gripz" over dumbbells or barbell if you have.

Last edited:

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Went today. I might be investing in dumbbells but I brought my travel hand sanitizer and used it between each exercise and also rubbed my steering wheel when coming home.

There was seriously an 80+ year old man working out there. It really bothered me. Like, how stupid can you be?

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
not yet.. I'm glad I live alone. My goal for the next howevermanydays is to just stay away from places the elderly go, which isn't my local climbing gym.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I'm tempted to go. The fact that it may be emptier is making it appeal as the thing I hate most about the gym is other people. As far as I know no gyms in the UK have shut yet.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there's more people in my gym than there should be. I'm avoiding the hell out of people though and not so much as touching my head till I get home and wash my hands and shower.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Nope, there's a gym in my building and I'm the only one who uses it, lucky for me.

The one in my building they shut down :( There would be maybe one or two of us at any of the given prime times (before work, right after work), now it's a wrap.

My back's been hurting and Ive been going to physical therapy for a wrist injury, I think I am going to go full yoga for the next few days via youtube to start my work day (plus it will help for the hours o' typing)

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
No, it changed when I got calcaneal spur though. Fuck this shit. I wish my life went back to normal.

Oct 29, 2017
I just got back from 24 hour fitness. I was going to continue working out there while limiting going out. Not anymore! 24 hour is so unsanitary. I will be using my complex gym for now until this blows over.

Nov 7, 2017
Alan Thrall has blessed us with another home workout

Watch until the end....dude moved a goddamn pickup truck with the parking brake on!

Last edited:

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I'm not gonna go to the gym for the time being.
Here in Montreal, all the gyms are closed anyways, there is nowhere to go.
I'll just stay home and play Ring Fit Adventure.
Also, I'll be looking into investing in some dumbbells. I have a feeling those security measures will not end anytime soon.
The dumbells I'm looking at are around 400$CAN though, and that's kinda pricey...

cyport

Nov 8, 2017
I started a bodylifts 5x5 workout routine not too long ago but I've stopped as the gym I go to is not clean at all and I don't have any trust in the staff or other people who go. Some things just take more priority.

I'm going to my parents for a while so I may just do some simple home body weight exercises and purchase some dumbbells if I feel like it. Will also do some more cardio during this downtime.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I finally bit the bullet and bought a jump rope for cardio/power tower for calisthenics/bench for dumbbell presses.

Sweaty boy season has officially moved home(for now).

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I am horrible at working out at home so not going to the gym means neck and shoulder pain. I just started swimming again so it sucks that it closed indefintely.
Now I am left with that switch game to do which I just do not feel like doing.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a cheap used treadmill a few months ago off of Kijiji for 100$ and some weights in anticipation that something like this might happen

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I purchased a Flex Deck 2.0 and a pair of Bowflex Selecttech dumbbells. I already have a rower, so when everything (eventually) closes, I can at least look great.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I just put a treadmill in my apartment, plus I have some other equipment from before. It's a little silly to go to the gym now if yours is still open. Try and do what you can at home.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm still going but not touching anything except the sanitizing spray and paper towels and I am only using one two-sided cable machine which pretty much takes care of anybody part if you know what you're doing. I'm in and out in like 20 minutes

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Of course the fitness centre manager would say those things lol.

I've been going to the gym a little less and doing more running though, but mainly because the weather is improving. Live in a semi rural location so will be able to run even after any lockdown etc, might see one or two dog walkers if I'm lucky.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Welp LA Mayor Just orderedGyms to be closed toll the end of the month at least, at least I have a couple of free weights+my yoga habits