• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did your gym habit change after the outbreak?

• Yes

Votes: 471 50.2%
  • No

Votes: 308 32.8%
  • Waiting till shit really hits the fan

Votes: 160 17.0%

• Total voters

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty simple question really.

I found that not going to the gym has an big effect on my mental health... so I guess I might have to buy some equipment for working out at home.

Interesting article:

Tony Maloney, the fitness center manager at National Institute for Fitness and Sport in Indianapolis, points out that people should be exercising now more than ever. "When endorphin levels go up, it can counteract the stress response that is so damaging to the immune system," he says. "Exercise also improves mental health. When you're feeling down or stressed, exercise can put a smile on your face."

But according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, coronavirus spreads more easily between people standing within about 6 feet than through contact with contaminated surfaces. Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces appears to lower the chances of transmission.

"If someone with the virus has coughed or sneezed and then touches an inanimate object like a dumbbell or even the pen for a sign-in sheet, there is an increased chance of transmission, but no more than the flu," he says. In the past four months there have been over 800 cases of novel coronavirus in the U.S. that we know of and, as of Tuesday, 28 deaths.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Wife and i decided to stop going to the gym for now and i bought a peloton yesterday for home training (i also have a rowing machine).

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I've spent a lot over the years investing in my home gym set-up. With the Covid-19 outbreak in full force, I'll be avoiding my regular gym and working out from home for the foreseeable future.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I've been saying this lately and wooooo boy, you'd think I was telling people to go fuck themselves.
Americans accept it as a fact but DO NOT like hearing that exercises is import.

"Exercise also improves mental health. When you're feeling down or stressed, exercise can put a smile on your face."

This one quote tho, this one I have a bit of a beef with. Sure it can improve self image and confidence but uhhhhh not mental health. If you have clinical ass depression, it's not like a few reps gets your mind in shape.

And to the answer the question, yup! Run two miles a day. Push ups, planks, and weights. Everyone else around me gets coughs and colds, not me.

But yeah, if you don't want to get sick, or reduce to duration of being sick, work out. It's awesome.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I was all set to go swimming this morning but I decided to give it a miss. I wonder if I'm over-reacting. I'm in Ireland.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, but my gym is usually pretty deserted anyway (I think it's a money laundering front at this point). I have been making sure to wipe down the machines/benches BEFORE use as well as after now.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nope. My work town where I go gym already has two confirmed cases and my boss is being tested tomorrow (haven't seen him in weeks though) but I'm happy to keep going on with my business as usual. Haven't noticed lower numbers in the gym either the last week or so.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My friends stopped going. I'm going at night, when nobody goes and the whole gym is empty. I'm the only person in there. Kinda relaxing :P

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
No, I have been normally using the gym (just 17 cases on my country until now), I'm more scared about salsa clases where I dance with 30-40 different girls for 2 hours lol.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Went today (12:00 and only three people were there).. But that was probably the last time for now. There are two confirmed cases in my town and i don't want to spread it myself. I plan on running in the evening now. I do want to keep moving and i think working out is good for me in general.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sadly yes, but I'm still going there a couple times a week. The attendance there is way down and they provide sanitary wipes at every bench/station/etc, so I'm not too worried about catching anything. But it bums me out that I'm not in my normal routine :(

Nov 13, 2017
I don't have the means to build up a home gym so I'm still going. I'm very diligent about not touching my face under any circumstance, and I wash my hands with soap thoroughly before I leave. The gym is also big enough that people are necessarily close enough to be coughing on each other.

Confession: I even wash my phone with soap and water. Quickly, but I do it. It's an iPhone 11 Max Pro so it should be waterproof right?

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying this lately and wooooo boy, you'd think I was telling people to go fuck themselves.

This one quote tho, this one I have a bit of a beef with. Sure it can improve self image and confidence but uhhhhh not mental health. If you have clinical ass depression, it's not like a few reps gets your mind in shape.

And to the answer the question, yup! Run two miles a day. Push ups, planks, and weights. Everyone else around me gets coughs and colds, not me.

But yeah, if you don't want to get sick, or reduce to duration of being sick, work out. It's awesome.
Good thing the person you quoted said nothing about "clinical depression." It's shown that exercise releases hormones that elevate your mood and can help those with stress. Not sure what your issue with that statement is.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

what a roller-coaster this was while reading this

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I've stopped going as of today.

I have always been diligent about wiping down the equipment, but my concern is more about being in a confined area with a lot of people.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Went last night and I'll go again tomorrow.

Didn't seem like it was any emptier, either.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I live in a small flat with my brother so I'm not sure what I can do if I self-quarantine. Maybe a shitload of core exercises and press ups, and yoga.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, rather be unhealthy for a bit, then taking a chance. I have a pre-existing condition, why risk it

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, I've been going to the gym at 6am 5 days a week for the last 3 years, but with this thing I'm avoiding it like the plague, people always come to train sick and don't care about basic hygiene, not coming back until I get confirmation the situation is under complete control.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My gym is in my apartment and relatively small. I still go everyday and just take a full shower afterwards.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've been using Ring Fit since early January and have consistently used it since then. I've heard that due to the corona virus the game has sold out for fear of going out to the gym. Game is great if you're not trying to go out and if you can accompany that with dumbbells you're golden.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I use the one at work and it's usually pretty empty. Hadn't really thought about the transmission chances via equipment though...

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's changed my reason not to go.
Tbf I think it's a good reason, the previous good reason was injury. We'll just ingore the few weeks between when I could have gone more.

I still have my yoga and bodyweight home excercises.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If you're not in a risk group for COVID, the negative effects of not exercising probably outweigh the negative effects of getting the virus. Keep at it, but stay home at the first sign of myalgia or fever.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
So far, no. I also use a small gym in my apartment complex so I'm never really in the space with more than 5 or 6 people at the time. I'd be more worried in a larger gym where there could be way more people, but for now at least I feel ok just wiping things down carefully. Also helps there hasn't been a major outbreak in my city/county yet

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the means to build up a home gym so I'm still going. I'm very diligent about not touching my face under any circumstance, and I wash my hands with soap thoroughly before I leave. The gym is also big enough that people are necessarily close enough to be coughing on each other.

Confession: I even wash my phone with soap and water. Quickly, but I do it. It's an iPhone 11 Max Pro so it should be waterproof right?
I wash my phone too. It's water proof so don't see the issue.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was going to ask the gym workers about this. Was working out at about the time the gym usually starts getting more crowded and noticed less people coming in. Nothing stopping my gains tho.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Nah, I just try and be mindful to wipe surfaces I touch after, and also before I use them!

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, i still wipe before and after I use an equipment. Gym is still packed every night too.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I go at night when no one is around and my gym has sanitizer wipes so I wipe down everything.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Started over wiping before and after sets. A lot of people at the gym. I may use my complex's gym more than my usual gym since there are less people

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Good thing the person you quoted said nothing about "clinical depression." It's shown that exercise releases hormones that elevate your mood and can help those with stress. Not sure what your issue with that statement is.

I find this exercises effects on mental health to be largely exaggerated. My personal experience, of course.

Also, some people who have anxiety may have a worsened condition if they go for a run or do sit ups. So when I see people use an all purpose "mental health" label, which he did. He said "Exercise also improves mental health. When you're feeling down or stressed, exercise can put a smile on your face."

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah... I wipe shit down before and after so I'm good. Also black people can't get COVID-19, so I'm straight anyway. :P

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still going, but my gym already adjusted things in response to COVID like a week ago (sadly, a better response than the government). More cleaning, less direct contact between coaches and gym-goers, etc.

I'm also in Austin where we haven't had a confirmed case yet, though. If (when) that changes, I'll re-assess. I can certainly work out at home but not as effectively as I would at the gym.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find this exercises effects on mental health to be largely exaggerated. My personal experience, of course.

Also, some people who have anxiety may have a worsened condition if they go for a run or do sit ups. So when I see people use an all purpose "mental health" label, which he did. He said "Exercise also improves mental health. When you're feeling down or stressed, exercise can put a smile on your face."
Yes, mental health. He wasn't required to specify or exclude all the things it may not be helpful for, including clinical depression, as you referenced. If I am feeling stressed, that's part of my mental health, and exercise definitely helps there.

Knightywing

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
No. I'm probably going to ride it out for now. I might go earlier in the morning, just to be there before the gym is packed.

However, I am thinking of buying a dumbbell set in-case my gym has to shut down. Already seen reports that gyms are shutting down in my country because of COVID, and I just got a text message from my gym about how we need to clean the equipment after use, bring with us a towel, etc.

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went last night, but will probably stop going now that there are confirmed case in my area. Luckily this give me an excuse to get back to playing Ring Fit.