• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Mine sure did. It was soo good.

1. FFT(The gameplay was just so great and the story was great too).
2. FFX
3. FF7Remake

X is only ahead of 7R because it is a complete package. I have no doubt 7R will be on top once it is over... I hope. Anyways. FF7R knocked the original FF7 out of my top 3.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's tough for VIIR to crack into the ranks of IV, VI through IX, and Tactics. It's on the outside looking in for me.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Before top 3:
1. 12
2. 7
3. 10

After Top 3
1. 7+7R
2. 12
3. 10

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
VI is still my favorite, but VII Remake is probably in my top 3 for the art design alone. It was the first HD Final Fantasy game that captured the authentic Final Fantasy feeling--Aerith's house in particular.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
FFVII Remake is at the very least TOP 4 for me only because it's not the complete story but if they nail it with future parts it can become the best one for sure.

It's the most excited I've been for a FF game since XII and IX before that.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
No.

ctcLBIi.png

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, it's easy too three for me. 10, 9, 7R knocking out XII, which is no easy feet as I truly love XII as well.

Oct 27, 2017
FF7R probably would have been #1 but the last hour/ending put it below top 3. I would go
1. FF7 original
2. FFXIII-2
3. FFX

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
It's top 3 for me, but I'm replaying my favorites now to try to recontextualize how I feel about them

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Mine is XII > Everything else.

12 is the only Final Fantasy game that I've been able to get into.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
By itself, no. Because of the fragmented nature of the narrative I'll need to judge the project as a whole when it's done. I can't compare a game that ends on a question mark to games that end conclusively as a rule.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Not really, I slot it in equal to FF7 in my rank. They are companion pieces, after all.

51sOkRA.png

I've played every game in the mainline series, as well as a few others, most of them twice -- once in English and once in Japanese. Tactics would be up in S tier as well.

Last edited:

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Only sticking to "mainline" titles I've played, it's now:
FF7 > XIII > X > 7R > XV > XII

Where X's story is better, but XIII edges it out cuz I like the combat more. FF7R and XV are nearly neck and neck for me; I like XV's combat and openness waaaayy more, but 7R's characterizations and story are obviously a lot better and it pisses me off a whole lot less so it's just ahead atm. Whether 7R retains its current spot or moves up/down will super depend on where the future games go. I'm not especially a fan of the story direction it looks like it's taking atm and its combat and corridor-ness were a bit of a turn off, so it's a toss up which way it'll go. The OG FF7 story is absolutely amazing and Remake is clearly nailing the personalities, so with more openness and if the new story threads can win me over then it could absolutely shoot up. Big if, though.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't finished it yet but there's no way its going above any of the PS1 or PS2 games

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
It's still:

1. Final Fantasy IV
2. Final Fantasy VII (Original)
3. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
4. Final Fantasy II

for me. I haven't beaten the game but I'm enjoying what I've played.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
For me, I'll have to wait until FFVIIR is fully complete to know where it ranks for me, and how it compares to the original. (I know FFXIII was made into a trilogy, but the first game was self contained -- FFVIIR is considerably less so.)

FFVIIR is the most fun I've had with an FF game since XII, so that's positive, at least!

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never bother ranking FFT since it's the best.

My ranking is:

Ff12
FF7RE
FF7/FFX

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, VIIr is #2 for me bumping everything other than VIII down by one notch.

The game undoubtedly has weaknesses (some of them arguably are pretty major) but with Final Fantasy I tend to value worldbuilding, music, and characters, and VIIr delivers in those areas in spades. The fact that it sits in the same highest tier of FF gameplay as LR and X-2 is just the clincher.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno where to rank it, outside of knowing I loved the experience. I like it more and more as I think about it, which is nice to be able to say about a mainline, single-player FF again.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Maybe not the top ranking, but it sure did in general,on other hand it's not hard to beat games like the first Final Fantasy and 15...

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Despite a lot of my misgivings with the remake, it probably is my favorite FF that I've completed thus far (4,5,7,15,7R), though none of them have broken past the "pretty good" tier for me yet.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of.

Before:
1. FFT
2. FF9
3. FF7

Now:
1. FFT
2. FF7+FF7 R (the Remake somehow elevated my appreciation for OG 7)
3. FF9

Honorable mentions to 6 and 12.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's somewhere in my top 5.

It's probably go like this:

FF7 original
FF6
FF9
FF7R
FF12

It might even be above 9 tbh but I'm not quite sure yet.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FF7R is probably my favorite Final Fantasy game, followed by FF7 and FF1 (gba).

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not really. I liked Remake but it's way below the original to me, VI is still on top and XI being third.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. Most likely. But I'm still not sure how much the ending has impacted my enjoyment of the game overall, so really not sure where to put it right now.

1 VII
2 VIII
3 Tactics
4 XIV
5 IX

it's definitely in there somewhere

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I liked Remake but it's way below the original to me, VI is still on top and XI being third.
Yeah the new battle system is really cool and the mini games are easier to understand, but the original has a more interesting story (the new plot points are bland) and the pacing is so awesome.