• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
InvertedSongofTime.jpg

002.png

Majora's Mask has the whole 3 day loop time system throughout the game, at the end of the three day loop, unless you go up the Clock Tower, summon the giants, stop Majora's Mask and Save Termina, you have to either play the Song of Time to escape back to the start of the first day, or get a game over forcing you back there.

Now, when you get the Song of Time, you actually also get 2 other songs to complement it. Though the game doesn't directly tell you that you got them, they don't even show up in the Song UI.

MM-Scarecrow.png

This Scarecrow gives you a hint towards the presence of the secret songs.

Play the Song of Time Backwards and you get the Inverted Song of Time, which slows the in-game clock down to 30% of it's regular speed (50% in the 3DS Version)
Play each note twice in the Song of Time and you get the Song of Double Time, which skips the in game clock forward 12 hours.

Now, both of these songs are entirely optional. You can beat the game without ever playing them once, or even knowing that they are in the game even. They are more there for people that want the games Time System to be a lot less restrictive to deal with if they don't like it. They also help make some of the events easier to deal with like the Alien Invasion at Romani's Ranch. Whilst there are places that let you skip forward time without the need for the song (Like the grandma who reads you the long stories in Clock Town) having to teleport to them to skip time can be inconvenient if you need to wait for a certain day for a future event.

So, here's the questions of the thread.

1. Did you know about the Song of Double Time and Inverted Song of Time when you first played Majora's Mask?
2. Did you use the two songs when playing through Majora's Mask?
3. If you didn't know the songs when playing through Majora's Mask, would you have used them if you did?
4. If you were to replay Majora's Mask today. Do you think you could play through the whole game without ever using either of these two songs?

I guess your response will come down to how much you like the Time System in Majora's as well your general game skill. But I'm curious to see how people respond.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I feel for the people that did not know about these or chose not to use them. They're essential imo.

Oct 29, 2017
Although I don't remember how I knew about them, I did used them even on my first playthrough. May have been my older brother who told me.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played at release.

1. Yeah, I figured it out.
2. Absolutely. I don't think the game would be nearly as good without either song.
3. N/A
4. Since I'm pretty familiar with Majora's Mask now, I can get by without the inverted time song but double-time is super important.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always remember knowing about them, and always used them. Pretty sure I figured it out from the scarecrows, but always possible I got it from GameFAQs or something.

I think I could probably swing it without using them in a replay, but like, eh? I still felt the urgency, even with time slowed down.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Of course. Why wouldn't I?

I learned them through experimentation, as far as I remember.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine playing the game without it. Just over an hour is no time to do a whole dungeon.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't imagine playing through it at regular time speed. Kind of cruel the game made it a "hidden song" haha. If I wasn't using a guide when I was young playing this game, I wouldn't have known of its existence.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'm currently playing through Majora's Mask 3D on 3DS.

27 hours in and I'm on the 4th temple (Stone tower temple) - already got 3 out of the 4 giants.

1. Did you know about the Song of Double Time and Inverted Song of Time when you first played Majora's Mask?

Of course, I use a guide to play Majora's mask....I know it might not be right to some people but dont care, my time is limited and instead of guessing what to do or what not, I rather enjoy the game the way I want to enjoy it.

Double time to get to a certain time and inverted time for me to give extra time when exploring through a area or a temple.

3. If you didn't know the songs when playing through Majora's Mask, would you have used them if you did?

I would still want to use it even if I didnt know, anything to make the journey easier enough to enjoy.
4. If you were to replay Majora's Mask today. Do you think you could play through the whole game without ever using either of these two songs?

I could but that would be too much time consuming - waiting for a specific time and would restart the 3 day cycle. Doing the great bay temple took me a full 3 days with the inverted time...cause I kept going into the wrong rooms cause of the currents....I can see that being a issue, its doable I guess now that i know what to do but it would be still a pain.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, of course I did.

I think I figured them out. Feels like the game Loom trained me on that, lol.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I used the song of inverted time pretty much all the time in Majora's Mask. I think I learned about it from Nintendo Power, but I don't recall the in-game hints being particularly obscure, either. Having the extra time to do things was a huge help, and I'm pretty sure that its the intended way to play the game.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

1- I didn't knew about any of them the first time. I did knew about the inverted one the second time (still in the n64 era). Only learned about the double time one after watching a speedrun
2- I used the inverted one basically every subsequential time i played the game =P Never used the double time because i never tryed 100% after my first playthrough
3- I would have definitivaly used then, specially the inverted one (still awakes me at night the time i lost the goron temple because i ran out of time in the last puzzle of the temple
4- yes because i still remember most of the stuff so i would not need the extra time. BUT trauma would dictate that i would use it the inverted one anyway xD

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
I did know, and I used both of them (more the inverted song of time, though).

Now, that I think of it, the alien invasion event is already a pain with the slower time, so it must be quite awful without it.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely used and abused them. Slowing time gives peace of mind for dungeons. Sidequests are easier to run through when you can obliterate time and leap beyond it.

I think playing through the game without either song would make for a fun challenge run.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Used it the first time, they're really good for dungeon days. Don't need it nowadays. I can't imagine why you wouldn't use fast forward, that's just convenient.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All the time, always liked how it gave me more controls on the timing to get to the events.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
1. I did not at first. My strategy guide I used as a kid with the N64 version told me about it. My kid brain didn't comprehend what the scarecrow was telling me at the time I guess, lol

2. Yes, I absolutely did.

3. N/A

4. My most recent playthrough of the 3DS version I used both. Now that I think about it, it might be fun to attempt a run without the Inverted Song. Song of Double Time is still essential though. No point in wasting IRL time just letting the clock run to what you want to get to.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely used both, especially the one that slowed down time. I loved the time mechanic in MM, but I also didn't really want to feel rushed every minute I was playing it. The song helped strike a nice balance.