• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you just use the standard cables that came with a system or did you use something that was higher quality like S video, RGB or YPBPR Component?

I want to say that i never used stock cables ever since my brother told me about other methods and we hooked up the SNES and MD with RGB and never looked back.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
S-video if the TV had it, composite otherwise. Used a twin lead adapter to play Famicom on a very old dial TV when I was little. I didn't have a set with component input until the PS3.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, just the standard cables from everything from a Commodore VIC-20 to a Master System all the way up to a PS2. Xbox 360 was the first console that I bought new cables for (component cables for my first HDTV).

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I switched to component in the PS2 era since that was the first time I had a TV that supported anything better than composite.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I had the top loader NES, so I used RF with it, since it was the only option. As a kid I didn't realize composite was better quality, so whenever I hooked up my SNES I often was lazy and just used the same RF cable from the NES.

But besides that, it was all composite. No component (it was a good while until we had a TV with it).

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I have Wii/PS2 Component cables. If I ever hook my old shit up I need to get RGB or at least S-Video.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
No.

As soon as I found out about S-Video, I bailed and went to it. Same for component. Hell, I had the VGA adapter for the Dreamcast. I've always been one to get the best IQ I could out of a system.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
RF for NES/Genesis.
Composite for PS1, Gamecube, Wii
Component for PS2, Xbox
HDMI for 360/PS3 and up

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I was using RF for everything (even had to buy an RF cable for my GC) up to about 2003 when I got a TV with Composite just to be able to play an import copy of Animal Crossing, continued using that up until I got a PS3 in... 2008 or so when I switched to RGB scart. I finally made the jump to HDMI when Fable 3 came out at the end of 2010.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Component cables or s video, but I never owned a console before PS1 other than an Atari 2600.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I had a TV that supported component (2003) I used those. Huge difference vs composite (barf) or RF (double-barf), the latter of which I hadn't used since the SNES days.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I used it a few years into it too. My mind was blown when I saw the ps3 xmb properly for the first time.
To give a timeframe: Assassins Creed II was my first HD game.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up playing games on my dad's old 15" TV that he gave me (that he had in his apartment during the mid '80s). That TV only took RF switch so that's how I played on my Super Nintendo that I had in my room. My PS1 was hooked up to my parents 27" living room TV via composite cables.

I got a 20" CRT as a gift a little bit after the PS2 released and I used composite cables for that. In 2004 I got a 23" LCD HDTV and I bought component cables for my PS2. HUGE jump in quality. Gran Turismo 4 was in some sort of fake 1080i resolution and looked really good at the time. 480p in many of the other PS2 games I played was a pretty big improvement too. I got an S-Video cable for my Super Nintendo a few weeks after that, and that was pretty much the end of me using composite cables for any of my systems.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Composite, I never knew about S-video and I don't think I knew component existed until HD consoles and I assumed they were just used purely for HD content. I didn't learn about how big a difference they could make and RGB until I found My Life in Gaming on Youtube and their RGB series.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
RF from NES->Genesis->Snes but part way through Snes I went composite on everything else till 2 years into PS3 era when I finally moved to HDMI when I got my 1080P Sony TV.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I used composite until...early 2012 at least. I mainly played my 360 on a 480i CRT for most of the first HD generation. I didn't have much money and couldn't afford higher end tech.

Eventually someone lent me their flat screen for two years while they had to move abroad, and afterwards I switched to PC gaming and never looked back.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I bought a custom rewired GameCube VGA cable to play progressive scan games in 640 x 480 on my monitor. I was never happen with composite to be honest.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
RF for 8 and 16 bit, composite for everything else up to the OG xbox. We did get vga for the dreamcast, then downgraded to an s cable for the OG xbox lol

empo

Jan 27, 2018
NES RF
N64 Bought it on the way to my cousins and played via composite but realized our home TV didn't even have that so had to go out and buy the RF adapter.
Sometime during the PlayStations lifespan I found out about RGB-Scart so I always got those cables after that for PS2 and GameCube.
Next console after that was PS3 slim via HDMI.
I was using RF for everything (even had to buy an RF cable for my GC) up to about 2003 when I got a TV with Composite just to be able to play an import copy of Animal Crossing, continued using that up until I got a PS3 in... 2008 or so when I switched to RGB scart. I finally made the jump to HDMI when Fable 3 came out at the end of 2010.
Wow that's a long time to use RF! I thought our RF only TV in 1996 was ancient haha.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
RF on NES and SNES. Made the switch to composite on the PS1/N64 era. The stuck with that for about a year on the PS3 until I got an HD display.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only used RF for NES. I learned about composite via VCR manuals as a kid and used composite for SNES and onwards. Used component for awhile with my PS3 very early though, at least until I got my first HD TV.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
N64: Composite (although I remember using RF for something, might have been this)
GCN: Composite -> RGB SCART (what an upgrade that was)
Wii: Composite -> Component (I might have had RGB SCART in-between these, don't remember)
PS3 and on: HDMI

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RF for NES, SNES, and Genesis. Composite for the other consoles. Never used component until recently with my SNES and Genesis. Difference is enormous over RF and composite.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I remember using RF for the NES. I used composite through SNES/64/PSX/Gamecube. Early on in the Wii's life I got a CRT that took component cables and started to use that. Never used S-Video for anything.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
For most Europeans it was easy enough to buy RGB cables and play that way on our European TVs - so I did that. At the same time, we had to play the awful PAL versions with fat black bars and 20% slowdown...

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
RF for Mega Drive, N64 and Dreamcast, composite for Gamecube+PS2.

Not HD but I did get an RGB cable with my Wii at launch, I'm pretty sure going over friends' houses and seeing Wii in composite set off my eternal fussiness for image quality :p Retroactively got RGB cables for many old consoles too

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
RF Cables for the master system and Mega drive. I think everything else was Scart until HD

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only had RF for consoles prior to the 32-bit era. When I got the Playstation in 1995, I did a mix of composite and RF. I still lived with my parents and could only use composite when the good TV wasn't being used. For Dreamcast, I used VGA except for a few games that didn't support it; those were through composite.

As a kid in the '80s, I had to switch between my black and white TV and the family colour TV. I remember Aztec Challenge on C64 having some enemies be invisible when played in monochrome.

UHF/VHF prong connectors are kind of nostalgic for me now.
41erZK%2BIfdL._SY355_.jpg

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
RF for way too long. Even when I upgraded to a lcd in 2009 I still used AV cables until I got a ps3 slim that included an hdmi

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Scart.

I remember when I first got my PS2 coming from the SNES, Megadrive and PS1 on RF cable. I was so used to having to Tune it in to get a picture. Me and my dad spent hours racking our brains why it wouldn't work until it finally clicked that we had to select a source LMAO.

Spent the next five hours playing Gran Turismo 3.