• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you preorder a next gen console? Did you get what you wanted?

• Did not preorder a console

Votes: 137 14.4%
  • Wanted PS5 and got one

Votes: 461 48.5%
  • Wanted PS5 DE and got one

Votes: 118 12.4%
  • Wanted a PlayStation console, but did not get one

Votes: 106 11.1%
  • Wanted Xbox Series X and got one

Votes: 384 40.4%
  • Wanted Xbox Series S and got one

Votes: 59 6.2%
  • Wanted an Xbox console, but did not get one

Votes: 57 6.0%

• Total voters

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Wanted a PS5 (disc) and XSX, and got them both, though it was touch and go for the ps5 order due to retailer together fingers, and originally wanted All Access for XSX ( but holy hell were Smyth's and Game horrifically bad in the UK), but I think I can get the live gold/game pass bundle for ultimately cheaper than the XAA would have gotten me in the end, so I'm pretty happy overall.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get either console because I work in the morning. IT would have a fit if it saw me using company time to buy a console. By the time it was lunch time at work, the consoles were sold out.

Obviously Sony/Microsoft don't want my money.

First world problems.šŸ˜‘

Nov 8, 2017
Got my PS5 DE and Series X after much suffering. Both took a while to grab, but I was stubborn and persistent and damaged my hand scrolling and refreshing.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Wanted a PS5 and got one. Though today was the day the holding charge went away. I panicked for a good 30 minutes.

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
Got a XSX pre-ordered since we have about 29 months of gamepass left. Not happy with the poor build quality of my holiday launch PS4 (heat sink barely had any paste, overheating became a problem, blu-ray ended up failing), so I will wait for a 2021 PS5.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Was able to secure a PS5 pre-order from Target during their second wave, all thanks to someone luckily mentioning they were back up here on ResetERA. Just happened to be on the PS5 Pre-Order thread at the right time. I think otherwise I still wouldn't have had a pre-order for the damn thing.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Wanted a Series X and got two. No, I'm not scalping. One for my living room and one for my bedroom.

Wanted a PS5 before they revealed what it looks like. Waiting on a revision to make it all black and hopefully less fin-ish. Did not try for one, did not get one.

OP
OP
cyrribrae

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I wanted a PS5 disc edition, didn't get one.

I wanted a series X, got one, I need to change the delivery address post order, Amazon states I need to cancel the order and make a new order. Gone through chat, escalation emails, and nothing can be done. It's a ridiculous arbitrary rule. The delivery address is not changing cites or countries. The new address is 10 minutes away.

waiting on an email from the escalation department now, otherwise I may not have either console yet
Oof. That's... not great. Hope that works out. Or you can creep the old address and snatch it from the porch XD

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
Wanted and reserved my PS5 - given that all First Party XSX titles will also be available on my PC means that I may completely skip owning an Xbox for the first time.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Got a SX from Amazon, but I'm looking for one more backup source. I think Amazon is going to fuck people that bought from them over.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
I had the PS5 in my amazon cart but had cold feet and changed my mind.

Later regret it now cuz I just realized they don't charge until it ships šŸ˜­

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I'm surprised era did so well with preorders. I tried as much as I could but couldn't get an order in. Being at work and having to use a phone did not help my chances.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I am very lucky to say I was able to pre order the PS5DE (on Amazon) and a Series X (at my local GameStop).

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I was able to get a PS5 preorder from Best Buy on Wednesday, and it was a massive headache. I'll get an Xbox Series X in the next year or two if there is something I really want to play on it at that time. Looking at the launch titles and launch window titles, there's nothing at the moment that makes me really want an Xbox Series X on launch, but in the future, who knows?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
That Wednesday night my buddy sent me a link for a target preorder for the physical PS5 that was still available but I decided to pass. With all the PC games I have to play on my absurd gaming rig, I'm perfectly fine waiting and I have a PS4 Pro which i don't turn on that often except to keep chipping away at FF7R.

Also my buddy works for Sony and I think eventually I'll be able to have him get me a PS5 digital for a discount (that's how I got my PS4 Pro).They get like 2 console purchases a year and he won't be using one on PS5 because apparently Sony is giving all SIE employees a free one.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Managed to score a PS5 and a Xbox Series S. Would rather have a Series X but hey what can you do.

Subtleglitch

Oct 28, 2017
australia
I wanted both consoles and got them, but unfortunately neither are launch day. My PS5 pre-order is an early 2021 shipment, and my Xbox Series X is a 2020 shipment. Kinda bummed I'm not getting either on launch, but at least I managed to place an order down. I guess I'll be busy with Cyberpunk on my PC around that time anyway. Overall I'm pretty excited for this gen!

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I am very lucky to say I was able to pre order the PS5DE (on Amazon) and a Series X (at my local GameStop).

Lucky. I drove by gamestop 5 minutes after preorders opened and there was a line I wasn't expecting for a fucking Tuesday morning there. No way that store had that many SX or SS's for preorder.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Watched the conference at work cos I work nights as soon as it ended I switched it off and didn't realise until 6am that pre orders were happening went home went sleep and woke up at 4pm to find they were pretty much gone I did get a link for Argos but did not want to pay up front. There's not a ton of games I want to play at launch besides Valhalla and until I know for certain how things like game sharing etc work and stuff I'm happy to wait until a week out or intil early next year.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Got a PS5 for myself as well as an XSX. Also managed to snag another XSX for a friend.

I would say I'm fortunate.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Really wnted a PS5 DE but couldn't get one thanks to Sony's crappy lack of warning. Settled for a disc version which I probably may cancel.
Got a preorder for both XBSX and XBSS and thinking about which one to keep. I'm not upgrading my 1080p TV anytime soon but I got time to decide.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I'm surprised by the success rate for Xbox. I tried and failed today. But I'm mostly just buying from Amazon so I'm limiting myself (I get 5x points and will be buying this thing with points)

I didn't try that hard. Went onto amazon at 11am and it didn't work, went on at 11:10 and failed. And then I tried a few more times unsuccessfully.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted a Series S and got one. Initially, I failed. Randomly went back to the BB website several hours later and got one without a hitch. Looks like they're gone again.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those are pretty solid numbers, looks like vast majority of people who wanted to preorder one of the consoles was able to.

I had it sitting in the cart at Target but couldn't pull the trigger. Just couldn't justify it with a kid coming in December and the backlog I still have on my PS4/Switch + some big games still coming to PS4. Probably getting one end of next year but look forward to living vicariously through everyone on here that's enjoying it day 1

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Goth both, relatively painlessly.

Wanted a Digital Edition PS5 and had to settle with a disc version.
Wanted a Series X and got one.

Both in-store pre-orders for collection on launch (assuming the UK isn't fully in lockdown again come November...)

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I'm surprised by the success rate for Xbox. I tried and failed today. But I'm mostly just buying from Amazon so I'm limiting myself (I get 5x points and will be buying this thing with points)

I didn't try that hard. Went onto amazon at 11am and it didn't work, went on at 11:10 and failed. And then I tried a few more times unsuccessfully.

If it was 11 EST that's why. They were like an hour late putting them up.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Got an XSX at Amazon, a PS5 through Sony's invite and a PS1 Digital when those went up. It's going to be a good 2021.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
Lucky. I drove by gamestop 5 minutes after preorders opened and there was a line I wasn't expecting for a fucking Tuesday morning there. No way that store had that many SX or SS's for preorder.
There was 3 people (including myself) lined up there by 8:30am central time, all of us got a Series X and there was only 3 available.

People kept showing up and had to keep letting them know that all the Series X were accounted for. It was awkward lol

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I wanted an XSX and got one at Amazon. I was pissed that it took Amazon so long to get the preorders up, but once they went up, I was easily able to put it in my cart with a protection plan and check out.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
There was 3 people (including myself) lined up there by 8:30am central time, all of us got a Series X and there was only 3 available.

People kept showing up and had to keep letting them know that all the Series X were accounted for. It was awkward lol

Just 3?? Fuck.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Ps5 digital and a Series X. I got them pretty early and was lucky to get both of what I wanted.
Might grab a series S for my eldest daughters room.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Got an XSX from Target.com with BB as a backup. I wasn't home when the PS5 preorders went up so lol.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't get either because I'm honestly still on the fence lol. About which one, about maybe switching to PC, all of it.

I blame the big players for not showing anything persuasive.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope Microsoft Store restocks at some point when the site is actually working so I can get the Series X since I have gift cards there to pay for it

I managed to get the PS5 digital edition from Amazon where I traded my One X & PS4 Pro to fund the PS5 purchase

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Was able to preorder multiples of each. Felt good securing for friends who weren't able.

3x Series X
2 Physical PS5
1 Digital PS 5 Bundle

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I was on Facebook after the PS5 Showcase and heard pretty much immediately about EB Games having pre-orders up, so I got one in time. Honestly wondering if I would've been able to were it not for retailers jumping the gun like they did, since all the scalpers would've been ready and waiting.