• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you realize how bad the sound quality in Assassins Creed Valhalla is?

• Yes

Votes: 495 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 301 37.8%

• Total voters

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I don't believe I had this issue from the hours I played or at least I don't remember it sounding hollow and muffled like the examples.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Yes. It is the very first thing I noticed and it bothers me a LOT.

Still loving the game so far but it really is one hell of a blemish.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I notice the problem mostly in the voices. Mostly, the "positioning" seems all fucked up. Eivor is quite loud, but if the character you're speaking with walks a few steps away, it's like you're talking to them through a drive through speaker.

I'm on PC, FWIW.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's easily the worst sound quality I've heard in the last 15 years of gaming and part of why I've stopped playing the game. I loved Origins and Odyssey, but unless there's some MAJOR patching and improvements done to this one it'll be the first AC I started and didn't finish since 3.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Did any review mention it by the way?

I feel like games get too much acceptance with stuff like this. A movie with bad sound quality would get teared apart by movie websites no questions asked.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit people weren't kidding this sounds bad, just started it and it was very very muffled so i turned off the 3d audio in the PS5 menu and it got a lot better. But still very low quality.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017

I feel like games get too much acceptance with stuff like this. A movie with bad sound quality would get teared apart by movie websites no questions asked.
Before DigitalFoundry, barely any games got shit for terrible framerate. Looks like we need DF but for audio.

Oct 27, 2017
i've noticed this on several games while playing with nice headphones. is it simply a matter of space/compression? did they cheap out on the ADR sessions? i can't imagine higher quality audio would make a noticeable dent in processing overhead. i don't know why we can't get high quality audio patches if we can get HD texture packs

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I play everything with headphones so low quality sound is very noticeable to me but coming from Demon Souls with 3D audio enabled to this was like night and day.

Holy shit its like they recorded the audio under water is very bad lol turn off that 3D audio ASAP. It doesn't make it amazing or anything but still much better.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Of course not, media critic reviews can't be relied upon to highlight any technical issues unless it's game breaking bugs or frame rate so bad the game barely runs.

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Worst audio in any game I have played in the last 10-15 years, hands down. It is dogshit and it sucks because I actually enjoy the game.

Otheradam

Shinra Employee
Nov 1, 2017
So are like the footsteps in snow sounds during the boot up logo sequence a bug or is that intentional? Because if its intentional, that's really weird. I hate all the sounds in this game.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've played through the game, didn't really notice anything TBH (but then again, I primarily used the controllers headphone jack)

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Just started this the other day and it is really affecting my enjoyment of the game, to be honest. It just really takes you out of the experience.

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
Using headphones and I thought it was a bug so I didn't think much of it. Helps that AC Valhalla is so braindead I only ever play it while I'm catching up on podcasts.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Yeah I plugged it into my TV to play and with my 7.1 system the game sounds absolutely awful. Like, unbearably bad.

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
It wasn't noticeably bad to me. Maybe the levels were a bit off but I didn't think it sounded poor quality. Clearly I don't have as good ears as others.

animalcrossed

Oct 28, 2017
Please only vote if you played the game! "No, I didn't notice it because I didn't play it" isn't helpful. Thanks!

First of all, I want to clarify I don't want to shit on the game in general. I just can't believe how bad it sounds and I am curious if this is something Ubisoft can do without any bigger problems. I sure hope not, because if they can, they will do it again. And it's a shame, this gigantic project with a lot of production value just falls short on something like this.

Of course, it depends on your speakers/headphones how big of a problem this is, but maybe you do have good ones and just don't notice it.

If you didn't notice it you may think who is this crazy guy, talking crazy stuff. Let me back my point off with this analysis.

Reddit Thread

The TLDR Version: the Bitrate was bad in the last two AC games, but now they have a variable bitrate that peaks at around 70 kbps. The problem is discussed at the Ubi Forum too and the Support is aware of it. I don't think they will patch it, but there is hope.

Ubi Forum

Maybe I'm more sensitive than others, maybe my very good sound system is a "problem" in this case, but it really destroyed my enjoyment of the game and I will not play it any further. Luckily I just tried it as a part of the Ubi+ Abo I got for Immortals, so this didn't cost me any money.

I don't notice it on my Sonos Beam but do notice it with the Sony Pulse 3D headset. (Noting my setup because it might be more noticable on a more expensive surround sound setup, but the Beam is a pretty simple soundbar.) Don't think it's a dealbreaker personally, still enjoying the game.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Oh yes, I noticed. Using good headphones on PS5 this sounds sooo bad, it's really annoying.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Please point me to one review that mentioned this or I will lose faith in all games media forever lol

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I shit you not. My 7 year old came down and saw me playing for a few minutes, and commented on how the sound is bad and sounds like an old game. Obviously he cant fully explain why but after asking more questions he was referring to overall quality, not the fact that it takes place in the past ( how would he know that anyway?)

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
now they have a variable bitrate that peaks at around 70 kbps.

How in hell did this make it to release? Like, literally no one tested the game with the sound on ? Someone in charge of the sound thought, eh, 70kbps sounds good enough for a next gen AAA game ? I can't even understand how this is possible.

Ghettomould

Game Sound
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
New Zealand
Glad someone pointed this out!

I've had huge troubles with Capcom games in the past with their audio being similar, I've got no idea what they're doing over there but not great for the games.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Glad someone pointed this out!

I've had huge troubles with Capcom games in the past with their audio being similar, I've got no idea what they're doing over there but not great for the games.

RE2R sounds very good, but other than they range from mediocre to bad as well. I remember RE5 sounding absolutely terrible.

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
It's bad for me aswell. Playing with an Arctis 7 and i never experienced such bad Audio ever. This will probably never get fixed so i just deal with it, whatever. But this is unacceptable for a game that big...

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Mostly was fine, but there were a few sound bites that were terrible. The horn after you complete a region at the alliance map comes to mind, it's so compressed.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing this game on PS5 and noticed some sounds are good (like footsteps walking through snow or dirt) but other sounds are TERRIBLE (like when your axe hits an enemy)

Just weird as hell

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I played Valhalla on PS4 Pro with Astro A40s (amp from 2012, headphones from 2019) and it sounded good enough to me.

The Gentleman

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed straight away and spent the first hour or so jumping in and out of my TV and Xbox menus trying to figure out what was wrong.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Playing Odyssey at the moment and the sound is horrendous in that game. It's like every spoken line was recorded on different equipment and put into the game by a different person.
One character will say two lines of dialogue that don't feel like they were spoken together and sometimes even sounds like two different characters. Some of this is down to the substandard voice performance (and probably direction) but also when the performance feels more consistent the sound quality lets it down.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Playing Odyssey at the moment and the sound is horrendous in that game. It's like every spoken line was recorded on different equipment and put into the game by a different person.
One character will say two lines of dialogue that don't feel like they were spoken together and sometimes even sounds like two different characters. Some of this is down to the substandard voice performance (and probably direction) but also when the performance feels more consistent the sound quality lets it down.
Valhalla is even worse in this regard. There were times I thought they'd gotten their VAs to record their lines from home and email them in, it sounds atrocious.

Mar 19, 2018
I have HyperX Cloud 2's for reference

I went from Demon's Souls to Valhalla, and I had to just sell the game it was so bad. I'm not a huge audiophile, but it was jarring how bad the sound quality was. I was nervous Immortals would have the same issue but it sounds just fine.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Nah. Not how it works

So how does it work then? They had poor sound quality and mixing since at least Origins and for Valhalla they made the decision to compress it further to make it sound even worse. I'm not sure they've given any indication that consider this a problem in the last 3 games, they all sound bad and have received any sort of "fixes".

Just started playing this game on PS5 and noticed some sounds are good (like footsteps walking through snow or dirt) but other sounds are TERRIBLE (like when your axe hits an enemy)

Just weird as hell

The snow footsteps is one of the worse sound effects in the game.

Stooge

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its so fucking bad, there are times when it sounds like someone was recording lines over a cell connection, and I wonder with the pandemic if it might be possible.