• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you realize how bad the sound quality in Assassins Creed Valhalla is?

• Yes

Votes: 495 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 301 37.8%

• Total voters

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I thought this was just me, but yeah it's weirdly bad. Glad to know I'm not alone with it though

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
It's very poor given the scope of the game. Sometimes outdoor noises sound like they are in echo chambers.

The mix is weird too, there is no real space given to sounds.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Why does the 3D audio in particular sound so much worse in Valhalla? It seems fine in something like Demons Souls.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
Disgusting sound quality. To the point where I thought my 3D PS5 headphones were worthless. Then I tried other games.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The sound effects during combat are absolutely awful. They're the most jarring thing in the game, it's like every file went through heavy compression.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe it's hearing damage from never wearing earplugs at concerts or at work but I never noticed anything being wrong with the sound.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
90 something hours, 100% achievements amd i never noticed any of this. Maybe I'll notice when I go back for the dlc. Played with headphones

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
If the average person cared more about sound quality this issue would have blown up instead of being largely glossed over. Did a single media critic review even mention how crap it was? Imagine the uproar if the visual fidelity of frame rate was at the same quality as the audio, there would have been a shitstorm.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
If the average person cared more about sound quality this issue would have blown up instead of being largely glossed over. Did a single media critic review even mention how crap it was? Imagine the uproar if the visual fidelity of frame rate was at the same quality as the audio, there would have been a shitstorm.

I think a lot of people, myself included simply did not notice, my threshold for good sound quality is pretty low, i had no idea the last three assassin's creed games had bad sound quality despite spending hundreds of hours playing them.

In my case it's because of bad hearing in general and being used to poorly recorded music and i think a lot of people do not have particularly good speakers/headphones at home.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Strange as I think everything sounds fine

I thought the combat sounds were the worst part. For example, the finisher where you kick the enemies groin and then stomp. It had no impact and was almost like sound effects were completely missing or not mixed properly.

In general I would say the combat was where I noticed most of the unusually quiet effects next to super loud effects. It seemed to vary from battle to battle, whether I was using a home theater system, or headphones. The whole experience was bizarre from a sound perspective.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
I think it needs to be said it's actively worse on PS5 with 3D on. At least to my ears. Bad enough that I was completely pulled out and thought something was up. People playing on PS5, try it without 3D on and you'll see. It's still not great without that on, but it at least doesn't sound like everything is under 6 layers of blankets.

Yep. 3D audio is horrible in this game. The audio quality becomes passable with it disabled in Valhalla.

Unless its a sony first party, or emphasized by the dev team, I'd suggest leaving it off.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I thought the combat sounds were the worst part. For example, the finisher where you kick the enemies groin and then stomp. It had no impact and was almost like sound effects were completely missing or not mixed properly.

In general I would say the combat was where I noticed most of the unusually quiet effects next to super loud effects. It seemed to vary from battle to battle, whether I was using a home theater system, or headphones. The whole experience was bizarre from a sound perspective.

The combat sound effects absolutely sound bad, it's one of the most noticeable areas (along with the voices and snow footsteps). It's a huge contributing factor to why people say there's no weight or impact to the combat even if they don't specifically say or realise it's partly due to the poor sound design. A lot of shooters have the same issue where the guns sound weak so it doesn't feel satisfying.

Yep. 3D audio is horrible in this game. The audio quality becomes passable with it disabled in Valhalla.

Unless its a sony first party, or emphasized by the dev team, I'd suggest leaving it off.

3D audio and Tempest in particular messes with frequency response which can result in downgraded audio quality. Valhalla doesn't have good sound design or soundstage to begin with so any benefits of trying to make it sound "3D" aren't going to dough whilst making it sound even worse in the process.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I've definitely been noticing. Just dealt with a named NPC, part of a questline, and it sounded like his dialogue was recorded with a webcam.

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I get crackles and pops and sometimes even snaps, and also some funky audio delays too. It looks amazing and sounds like shit.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Yeah another here that hasn't really noticed anything too bad. Running through pretty top end sound system and speakers its all seemed fine for me apart from the VA obviously not being output in 5 1. Its front speakers only and spinning the camera round didn't change where the voices come from.

But yeah, it sounds pretty good to me

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
It's unbelievably bad. Valhalla is easily the worst sounding AAA game probably ever. The audio team should be pretty damn embarrassed at the quality.

Ubi straight up refuses to acknowledge it as an issue, so it's never getting fixed.

Its bad enough that I will not be buying the next AC game unless they fix it. I'll be waiting for reviews to know if it's as bad. It kills any immersion in the world whatsoever and actively pulls me out of it.

It is 100% unacceptable.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Game was very glitchy but still very fun. Don't blame them for the issues. They released it for like 15 platforms during a new gen transition in a pandemic

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
I havent olayed it yet, but I can say I have been playing Watch Dogs legion, im enjoying it I knew what its about but the poor quality sound hit me there aswell, also theres a horrible cracking and pop in the audio, alot in the menu and map, but also now and then during gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
It's unbelievably bad. Valhalla is easily the worst sounding AAA game probably ever. The audio team should be pretty damn embarrassed at the quality.

Ubi straight up refuses to acknowledge it as an issue, so it's never getting fixed.

Its bad enough that I will not be buying the next AC game unless they fix it. I'll be waiting for reviews to know if it's as bad. It kills any immersion in the world whatsoever and actively pulls me out of it.

It is 100% unacceptable.
don't blame the audio team — they're always at the mercy of programmers saying "compressor goes brr" when they're trying to lower the file size of the game. no audio team listened to this and was like "yep, this is exactly what i was hoping for!"

(meanwhile, artists continue shipping 4k textures for an NPC's shoe with little scrutiny, but such is the problem with mass asset generation and marketing priorities)

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

It is 100% unacceptable.

Nah, there's plenty of other examples of AAA games with dire sound quality. Prey 2017, Wolfenstein 2018, Infamous 2 to name a few.

don't blame the audio team — they're always at the mercy of programmers saying "compressor goes brr" when they're trying to lower the file size of the game. no audio team listened to this and was like "yep, this is exactly what i was hoping for!"

(meanwhile, artists continue shipping 4k textures for an NPC's shoe with little scrutiny, but such is the problem with mass asset generation and marketing priorities)

The thing is even without the compression the audio wouldn't be good, it just wouldn't sound as bad. The way it's inherently mixed is a big problem too, and the actual sound samples themselves.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017

This is absolutely the kind of thing the games audio director is responsible for. Valhalla uses the same engine as Odyssey and that sounded completely fine compared to Valhalla.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Playing on PC, haven't noticed it at all, but I am just going through standard 2.1 speakers.
Yeah, same. I assume we got the same bitrate as consoles but I didn't notice any "tin can" compression and definitely didn't have audible pops and snaps like others are reporting. The mix did tend to bury voices though, obviously

Last edited:

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
The music is so incredibly muted, it's such a shame.

Nov 2, 2017
I use a 7.1 setup and half the sounds in the game sound like they're coming from underwater. Everything is muffled. Even using sound spatially feels off. Trying to pinpoint certain sounds in the world is way more difficult than it should be. It's a shame because the music is so good. I would love to hear it clear and uncompressed.

I wonder if cheaping out on audio quality is a common thing for Ubisoft. I always had a issue in division 2 where there was no bass in any sound in the game. Even gunshots wouldn't come through as low frequency sound. Now I want to go check some more Ubisoft games.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I use a 7.1 setup and half the sounds in the game sound like they're coming from underwater. Everything is muffled. Even using sound spatially feels off. Trying to pinpoint certain sounds in the world is way more difficult than it should be. It's a shame because the music is so good. I would love to hear it clear and uncompressed.

I wonder if cheaping out on audio quality is a common thing for Ubisoft. I always had a issue in division 2 where there was no bass in any sound in the game. Even gunshots wouldn't come through as low frequency sound. Now I want to go check some more Ubisoft games.

Division 2 is their best sounding game by far, it's not even close aside from Siege.

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely the kind of thing the games audio director is responsible for. Valhalla uses the same engine as Odyssey and that sounded completely fine compared to Valhalla.
unless you're working on Rez or something, the audio director isn't going to get the final say on the the audio's footprint in overall package size for the game. they may have bounds to work within, and they have responsibility for how that's allocated, but if you're working with a design that's expanding beyond what can reasonably be fit within your allocated memory-budget, you can't be expected to literally -- i don't know -- invent better compression on the side or something.

it isn't like some AD was like "hmm, I know we had something that sounded marginally better in Origins, but fuck it, I'm feeling lazy today, let's just run everything through a low pass filter for kicks". if ubisoft has a culture where the audio team is the bottom of the totem pole --which based on the last generation of their games certainly seems to be the case -- you can't put the blame entirely on the audio team themselves. they ain't the ones packaging the game's final assets, presumably.

unless the argument is "this wasn't because of memory constraints, everyone working on AC:V audio is just completely incompetent", which... i don't know. seems less likely to me.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
unless you're working on Rez or something, the audio director isn't going to get the final say on the the audio's footprint in overall package size for the game. they may have bounds to work within, and they have responsibility for how that's allocated, but if you're working with a design that's expanding beyond what can reasonably be fit within your allocated memory-budget, you can't be expected to literally -- i don't know -- invent better compression on the side or something.

it isn't like some AD was like "hmm, I know we had something that sounded marginally better in Origins, but fuck it, I'm feeling lazy today, let's just run everything through a low pass filter for kicks". if ubisoft has a culture where the audio team is the bottom of the totem pole --which based on the last generation of their games certainly seems to be the case -- you can't put the blame entirely on the audio team themselves. they ain't the ones packaging the game's final assets, presumably.

unless the argument is "this wasn't because of memory constraints, everyone working on AC:V audio is just completely incompetent", which... i don't know. seems less likely to me.

Valhalla without the massive compression would probably just sound like Odyssey and Origins (which also sounded compressed though not as much) and those aren't considered good sounding games either. Origins in particular also sounds terrible.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017

I played Origins on Xbox and it sounded fine. I played Odyssey on PC and it sounded totally fine, no noticeable issues whatsoever. I'm playing Valhalla and it sounds like complete garbage. That isn't "marginally" better - it's night and day. For me, at least. Some people here say Origins and Odyssey also don't have good audio quality, and I am by no means an audiophile - but Valhalla's audio is so bad it completely rips me out of the game every time I play it.

Valhalla's audio issues go far deeper than just the audio quality, too - even if it's the most glaring issue. The audio mixing is easily some of the worst I've ever heard in a AAA game - footsteps are insanely loud, the horn is insanely loud, and yet other elements are unbelievably quiet. The VO quality and volume is inconsistent. Positional audio just... does not exist. You hear a wolf howl and you have absolutely no idea where it's coming from, because the game doesn't tell you.

None of these things were issues in Origins or Odyssey, at least for me.

It's unacceptable, and I don't believe it's a memory constraint issue at all. Why would it be when previous titles for older consoles sounded fine? Why would it be an issue on PC at all after it wasn't in Odyssey on PC?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ubisoft open world titles have insanely poor audio and they have for the last decade. Somehow, impressively, Valhalla is even worse. It's fucking unfathomable.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Holy crap was about to create a thread for this thinking something was wrong with my setup.

Yes the sound quality is awful. Playing on a Series X. I kept changing settings on the game, console, and my amp trying to get it to sound better but it just wasn't.

It's sad really because the music is amazing.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, same. I assume we got the same bitrate as consoles but I didn't notice any "tin can" compression and definitely didn't have audible pops and snaps like others are reporting. The mix did tend to bury voices though, obviously
Yeah, I was a bit surprised when the download was only 46gb, and I am guessing compressed audio plays a part in that.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
It hurts to play sometimes, the music is muffled all of the times, and the dialogue outside of cutscenes varies from being too loud to too low, they killed jesper kyd music.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty disorienting. I use a two channel setup and I thought maybe I had my left and right channels mixed up, but it's just the game. This is in addition to the bad audio quality in general.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
It's the first game where I took my headphones off and just used the TV speakers for it while I listened to something else entirely. Yea it's bad.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Maybe I'm more sensitive than others, maybe my very good sound system is a "problem" in this case, but it really destroyed my enjoyment of the game and I will not play it any further. Luckily I just tried it as a part of the Ubi+ Abo I got for Immortals, so this didn't cost me any money.
I can relate, it's a reason for me not to get the game.

Imagine that kind of problem in the latest James Bond or any other blockbuster movie. It's completely unacceptable.

If this happened to a movie, critics would tear it apart. But for games, subpar audio quality seems to get constantly overlooked.

Last edited: