• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you realize how bad the sound quality in Assassins Creed Valhalla is?

• Yes

Votes: 495 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 301 37.8%

• Total voters

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm FAR from an audiophile by any definition, but even watching a video of the game I knew something was very wrong. The absolute first scene is a huge, rip-roaring Viking party and the mix is atrocious, it's completely limp and anemic sounding. This dude hits the lute strings with so much gusto in the animation and the sound is just this piddly little twang, it's like something my from those "shreds" videos haha....

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Agree even worse half of random dialog in french are in spanish or any other language that i dont understand, pretty inexcusable for a game that was made in quebec.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think it needs to be said it's actively worse on PS5 with 3D on. At least to my ears. Bad enough that I was completely pulled out and thought something was up. People playing on PS5, try it without 3D on and you'll see. It's still not great without that on, but it at least doesn't sound like everything is under 6 layers of blankets.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I remember already saying it somewhere else that I'm not really all that hard on sound in games, but in Valhalla, even to my untrained ears, it's a constant barrage of utter shit.

To the point where after 15h mark I never used headphones again and just listened to podcasts while playing with pauses for cutscenes only.

Theron

Oct 28, 2017
It was the first game I tried with the Pulse 3d headset and was so disappointed with the sound I was thinking about returning the headset, but after testing a few other games I realised it was the game and not the headset that sucked.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Using your monitor's internal speakers is why you can't tell, that's like playing a game with a SD TV and not noticing the resolution is bad.

Even if the compression wasn't ridiculous it would still sound bad because the sound design and mixing isn't good either.

Ah, ok. Haven't started it yet

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a sound person (I'm a philistine, I knows it and am at peace with it) but even *I* could spot something was clearly off with sound in AC:V. I didn't play much of it, but the mix in the hall in the opening scene sounded totally wrong. Kind of... hollow.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
We have a pretty good sound system the Cons or ribs through and we both thought Valhalla sounded great
My partner is a musician so usually spots bad audio fast

Running on a series x..

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm noticing a trend where visual/audio flaws have little to no impact to me (often only hear about them here).

- low fps? acceptable
- frame pacing? didn't even know what this was and still not sure I do
- chromatic aberration? have a hard time seeing this unless I zoom in on screenshots when it's pointed out
- sound issues? I've played 70hrs of Valhalla and had no clue
Id wager thats how most people are, this is just the mega nerd forum.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a sound designer and instantly noticed how thin the dialogue sounds. Big turn off.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
It's horrible. You have these big feasts with lots of characters and all you hear is random whispers on repeat. There's a scene where you rouse the crowd to take on an invading army to your camp and that same sound sample plays in a loop and there is ZERO atmosphere as a result.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube is worse than useless for examining audio because of the ludicrous level of additional compression they use.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The mixing yes, it's flat, like if they are always talking in the same environment.

But I cannot say it annoys me like the lightning lol

I had to tweak in-game rendering in SDR before getting back in HDR to have some accurate black-white level and it's still not perfect.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've only played for about an hour, but I immediately thought that the voices sounded cold and tinny. I'm using an AVR with 5.2 sound.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I noticed pretty quickly when switching between games. Reminds me of early very compressed mp3 rips vs CDs when switching between Valhalla and say, any Sony first party game. Pretty sure we had at least one thread about it before.

Even Astro's Playroom (free PS5 pack-in) really puts it to shame.

Sep 15, 2020
When you upgrade a settlement building, there's some chanting they do and it just felt too quiet to me. It should be louder and with more energy.

I'm playing with in ear headphones too.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Also fix the fucking damn bug where Eivor is drunk everything you load in or respawn

Or when you do the target event and an arrow is stuck in Eivor's hand forever

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
The mixing yes, it's flat, like if they are always talking in the same environment.

But I cannot say it annoys me like the lightning lol

I had to tweak in-game rendering in SDR before getting back in HDR to have some accurate black-white level and it's still not perfect.
This as well. The HDR sliders in game are useless, no idea how should I set them, because the reference image barely changes. Game looks good outdoors in sunny areas, but way too dark at night or indoors.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Really not an audio guy, and really don't usually complain about audio. Obviously I don't like when it sounds like shit but it never really happens. During my playthrough of Valhalla I often had to doublecheck my headphones weren't broken.

AdamT

Oct 27, 2017
Providence, Rhode Island
I thought Odyssey's audio wasn't as bad as this game. Valhalla is dreadful. The compression is very obvious in dialogue on PC with headphones. Most importantly: I hate how the snow sounds underfoot, so it makes the game annoying to play haha

Oct 30, 2017
It's outrageously bad. I assumed the issue would be overblown. Nope. It's complete garbage. It's hard to believe how people play tested this throughout dev and though, yeah man, good stuff.
It's even more egregious when you jump between Demon's Souls ps5 which has incredible sound design.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In all fairness, for voice-only codecs, 80 kbp/s should be perfectly servicable for nearly transparent audio. If they're using it for music that's another story 😅

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It's the jankiest game I've ever played in every respect. AC1-2 feel a generation ahead in polish. It's insane. Also a shame, because the game is rock solid.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
Watch Dogs Legion's sound is so bad from the little I've played, the mixing is all wrong, coupled with the weird AI-generated voice everybody has. Absolutely terrible. Obviously the pandemic makes something like sound recording a nightmare, but it's really something that puts you out of a game when done wrong and something you don't notice when done right. Turns out audio engineers are the unsung heroes of my immersion.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the bitrate? I figured it would be COVID and recording from home because sometimes two different lines in the same scene from the same character have wildly different quality. Like one sounds studio quality and then one sounds like some shitty mic.