• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you realize how bad the sound quality in Assassins Creed Valhalla is?

• Yes

Votes: 495 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 301 37.8%

• Total voters

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Please only vote if you played the game! "No, I didn't notice it because I didn't play it" isn't helpful. Thanks!

First of all, I want to clarify I don't want to shit on the game in general. I just can't believe how bad it sounds and I am curious if this is something Ubisoft can do without any bigger problems. I sure hope not, because if they can, they will do it again. And it's a shame, this gigantic project with a lot of production value just falls short on something like this.

Of course, it depends on your speakers/headphones how big of a problem this is, but maybe you do have good ones and just don't notice it.

If you didn't notice it you may think who is this crazy guy, talking crazy stuff. Let me back my point off with this analysis.

Reddit Thread

The TLDR Version: the Bitrate was bad in the last two AC games, but now they have a variable bitrate that peaks at around 70 kbps. The problem is discussed at the Ubi Forum too and the Support is aware of it. I don't think they will patch it, but there is hope.

Ubi Forum

Maybe I'm more sensitive than others, maybe my very good sound system is a "problem" in this case, but it really destroyed my enjoyment of the game and I will not play it any further. Luckily I just tried it as a part of the Ubi+ Abo I got for Immortals, so this didn't cost me any money.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
It's bad. The voices often sound like there is a reverb or as if they are a bit tiny.

Boosting the voice in the option did not help.

I also dislike the viking songs on the ship, they sound way to produced. Give me black flag shanty quality.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't really notice how bad it is. It's serviceable, and gets the job done.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
ubisoft has a history of questionable sound quality in their games but valhalla is just absolutely terrible
it was noticable right away

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
My first impression was that it was bugged. I though that it sounded horrendous. I got used to it and completed the game, but still...

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I hadn't noticed but then I read about it in here and now it drives me nuts. It's interesting to see that it's variable because I have noticed it's much worse sometimes.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
I played with headphones and kept hearing shit that didnt make sense. Like someone talking to my right and when I look there is no one there. Happend for the whole duration of my paythrough.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
It's quite terrible on sound bars and 5.1 systems.
I find it more tolerable with headphones.

Oct 25, 2017
You do acclimate to the audio, but for the first few hours I literally thought my headset was busted. I even went to audio settings to see If something had been changed during a patch.

A quick google search helped restore my sanity...knowing it wasn't on my end.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't play Valhalla yet so I didn't vote but I can't say I'm surprised. When I checked Unity a while back I couldn't believe how compressed the sounds were, extremely hollow and tinny sounding. Good sound is essential in gaming and Ubisoft needs to accept that.

Oct 27, 2017
It's horrendous to the point of being actively distracting. Like it takes away from the satisfaction of combat when hits just don't sound good.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah coming from Demon's Souls it sounded terrible.
Immortals doesn't sound as bad to me a couple of hours in.

Dlanor A. Knox

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Apr 6, 2018
Yeah, thought it was a bug. Eivor is so freaking loud compared to the rest.

Whenever you climb or jump Eivor makes sounds and it annoys me so much because of how loud it is, it also sounds like Eivor's in a cave with all the reverb going on.

I don't remember having this issue in Odyssey though

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
One of the replies in the reddit thread mentions that this is likely a decision based on console memory limitations and getting time sensitive audio cues to load fast enough to play on time. Ambient sounds aren't a problem because they're not timing-sensitive and are much more easily streamed.

Still puzzles me that they felt they had to go this far in the AC games though, when other high profile titles developed for the same platforms seemingly don't struggle like this with the audio. Maybe they've just painted themselves into a corner somehow with this particular engine and how resources are used and allocated.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
It's not the best for sure, but I didn't find it that much of a problem honestly

Plum

May 31, 2018
I did and it turned the game from "maybe play as a 'podcast/youtube' game" to a "fuck no, gonna sell it," game. It sounds especially bad with my current soundbar which, despite being very good in most areas, has a problem with sibilance that is only exacerbated by this game's terrible audio.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Origins and Odyssey already sounded bad but Valhalja takes it to another level of shiftiness. The combat is already weightless enough without your weapons sounding like they're made out of cardboard. Even the basic effect of walking in the snow sounds awful. How do you have visuals like that and then destroy the atmosphere with a complete lack of care to the soundstage. Absolutely baffling how a AAA game made with so much money and manpower can produce such dire audio quality.

As someone who cares about audio as much or more than visuals this is the audio equivalent of Cyberpunk running at 18fps on consoles at sub HD.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
I play using my monitor's internal speakers which are serviceable, can't say I've noticed anything but I'm also not using the best setup.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Optional HD sound should be a thing like HD textures. I'm sure all the audio exists in great quality somewhere. It's just the compression algorithm they use. Do they state anywhere how much audio recordings are in the game? Wondering if it's RAM related optimization or if it's just about storage ..

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I play using my monitor's internal speakers which are serviceable, can't say I've noticed anything but I'm also not using the best setup.

Using your monitor's internal speakers is why you can't tell, that's like playing a game with a SD TV and not noticing the resolution is bad.

Optional HD sound should be a thing like HD textures. I'm sure all the audio exists in great quality somewhere. It's just the compression algorithm they use. Do they state anywhere how much audio recordings are in the game? Wondering if it's RAM related optimization or if it's just about storage ..

Even if the compression wasn't ridiculous it would still sound bad because the sound design and mixing isn't good either.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing it and never really noticed an issue?

then again I watched Tenet the other night and didn't have an issue with the audio there as well...

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
It's not just the quality, the mixing is horrible as well. I play on PS5 and I had to turn on the dialog boost to even hear the other person in dialogs. If I had raised my TV volume, everything outside of dialog would be way too loud.

Oct 25, 2017
i can not believe the game was shipped in this state. like, it's truly horrendous.

some low quality sound effects, okay whatever — but spoken dialogue? including spoken dialogue in major cutscenes? what're we doing here.

like, everyone sounds like they're talking through a tin can.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Can't be worse than the original AC, right? Even for that time the audio quality was absolutely horrendous.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Yeah, it's bad, but nothing new for Ubi or Assassin's Creed franchise.
AC: Origins to this day still sounds like trash on the PS4, from dialogue to background music.
Can't remember about Odyssey but it's probably the same.
I mean, it's Ubi, they are not known for their polish.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I definitely noticed it as it was the first game I played after Demon Souls. A huge step down in terms of sound design and impact.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The audio in Legion too is rubbish too btw.

I wouldn't necessarily equate internal speakers with not being able to discern differences in sound quality, but that's a different topic.

It's possible to tell the difference if you know what to listen for and really pay attention, though some built in speakers are that bad that the difference would be very negligible. Using better audio equipment will make it really obvious and impossible to miss.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Origins was terrible, can't imagine it being worse

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, it's pretty bad. Audio is a very important part of any game for me, and it was jarring.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Absolutely terrible. I thought something was wrong with my headphones (Pulse 3D), but everything I played previously sounded great. I tried my soundbar, different headphones, and other games. Valhalla just sounds terrible.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
It's horrible. If size is a concern I wish they'd at least give the option for a free download as a high quality addon, kinda like how some games have official HD texture packs, or even optional language files.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's been driving me nuts since I thought something was straight up broken at first. It's super low and tinny, it really sucks the air out of the room during some bigger raids when everything lacks impact. There's a kill animation where Eivor chokes an enemy out then yells afterward that falls completely flat with how inaudible it is.

It's such an important part of a game that it's a total head scratcher to see so much manpower behind a project that sounds so poor.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I didn't think the actual sound quality was that bad itself but the game has tonnes of moments where it seems audio is missing or delayed.

I actually loved Valhalla and thought it was the best creed game in years but it does have tonnes of small technical issues that pop up all the time. Nothing major but enough to be noticeable.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I tried the opening hour on PS5 with headphones and the sound was so awful I turned it off. The only time I've been so distracted by bad sound quality. Something must have happened with their Tempest 3d implementation??

If you turn off 3D sound in the OS it improves but that shouldn't be necessary. Demon's Souls and Miles Morales sound amazing.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm noticing a trend where visual/audio flaws have little to no impact to me (often only hear about them here).

- low fps? acceptable
- frame pacing? didn't even know what this was and still not sure I do
- chromatic aberration? have a hard time seeing this unless I zoom in on screenshots when it's pointed out
- sound issues? I've played 70hrs of Valhalla and had no clue

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
The quality of the audio is noticeably lower quality then you would expect. What annoys me more though is the horrible birds at all the synchronisation points, literally just looks like 2D sprites with 15 fps animations, such a bizarre and glaring flaw that really breaks immersion.