• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Better decade for gaming?

• 2000s

Votes: 353 46.2%
  • 2010s

Votes: 411 53.8%

• Total voters

OmegaNeon

Dec 16, 2019
the general universe
2010s honestly. Just better everything. Soundtrack, quality, gameplay, graphics, customizations, controls, yeah. Sorry, I do love 2000s games, but ya know, this decade is better for gaming.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
00s had some classic releases for me, But I go with 2010s because the quality of cinematic story driven games jumped up.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm... need to do this scientifically...

My top 10 of 2000s:
  1. Grand Theft Auto IV
  2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  3. Metal Gear Solid 2
  4. Metal Gear Solid 3
  5. Bully
  6. Fallout 3
  7. Mass Effect
  8. Demon's Souls
  9. Resident Evil 4
  10. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
My top 10 of 2010s:
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Metal Gear Solid V
  4. Red Dead Redemption
  5. Dark Souls
  6. Bloodborne
  7. Mass Effect 2
  8. Prey
  9. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  10. Resident Evil 2
Top 10 (combined):
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  2. Grand Theft Auto IV
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. Metal Gear Solid V
  5. Red Dead Redemption
  6. Dark Souls
  7. Bloodborne
  8. Mass Effect 2
  9. Prey
  10. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Yeah, 2010s by a landslide. There are so many more honorable mentions I could make for this decade too (Witcher, Dishonored, and Assassin's Creed franchises come to mind). I've been gaming since the early 90s on NES and games just keep getting better each decade. Bring on the 2020s!

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't give two shits about "Oh my fucking god, graphics!" or "This game feels sooooo much like a movie, wow!" 2000s easy. Much more experimentation in higher-end games, more genres felt viable, less exploitative business practices.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
2000s better. Only 2008 kinda sucked.
This decade 2012,2013,2014,2019 sucked. At least for me.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
2000's had Everquest 1 and World of Warcraft in the same decade, so it is an easy win.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Games are probably objectively better now, but I still prefer the 2000s for the types of games I like. My tastes are really in stuff like the GameCube's library and we just don't really get those types of games anymore (3D platformers, quirky games, single-player focused action-adventure games)

OmegaNeon

Dec 16, 2019
the general universe
Games are probably objectively better now, but I still prefer the 2000s for the types of games I like. My tastes are really in stuff like the GameCube's library and we just don't really get those types of games anymore (3D platformers, quirky games, single-player focused action-adventure games)
I do enjoy the Gamecube's library. Heck, that console is where games like Double Dash, Luigi's Mansion, and Wind Waker come from!

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
That's a tough one really. Maybe its nostalgia (and age!) doing its thing but I think much more fondly of the 2000s. It just seemed a more exciting period in gaming than now and most of my absolute favourite games are from that period.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
2010's > 1990's > 2000's for me. I pretty much didn't play games for the latter half of the 90's and first half of the 2000's (my high school/college days), so I loved them when I was a kid and my parents rented games for me all the time (80's-mid '90's), then fell out of love when I was expected to pay for them on my own but had no money, and then fell back in love again when I had a job and money and was able to afford to play what I want to play.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really tough to call as both were excellent at their peaks.

But having just played Resident Evil 2 I'm pretty sold on this decade as the best ever for gaming.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Hmmmmmm. Probably 2000s even though as a Nintendo fan I feel like the last couple of years have been the best era for the company in the last two decades. 2000s feel more consistent, 2010s had a lot of dry spots. There was a period in the early-mid 2010s where I basically stopped gaming, which isn't directly because of the games being put out, although it was part of it.

I'll say 2000s even though 2017-2019 has been probably the most fun I've had gaming this entire century.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
2010s. I sort of lost touch with gaming near the beginning of the 2000's. Most of my favorite genres were no where to be seen during the 00's.
I feel like my passion for gaming completely reignited in 2012, with Kickstarter and crowdfunding in general bringing more funding models and showing the success potential of middle-sized games.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the 2010s are probably actually better, but I have a lot of nostalgia for the 2000s plus dedicated handheld gaming peaked then. It crashed after half due to smartphones and half seemingly because resources couldn't be spread between them and home consoles any longer, though I am glad the Switch gave a way forward.

EDIT: Also the PS2 years were rad for JRPGs.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
2010s for the Souls games and Bloodborne, and I feel the releases were generally of a higher quality overall. The two big, BIG reasons I prefer the '10s are Breath of the Wild and RDR2, mostly for the same reasons. BOTW gave me the Hyrule I'd been dreaming of exploring since I was a 6-year-old playing the OG for the first time, and RDR2 gave me the full map from the first game plus a metric fuckton more to carve out my own little niche in via online. Plus it had maybe the best story and acting I've ever seen in a game.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
GAMING is better now.

Games are a mixed bag. We have a lot of great gems and things that didn't exist prior, but we also have a lot of bullshit and bad practices I'm not a fan of now.

The act of gaming whether through digital/physical/streaming/portable/at-home/etc has all widely become better even though gaming console UI like PS and Xbox are needlessly convuluted. But I feel I'm seeing a lot of the same game a lot more now than I used to, and being asked for money a LOT more.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Well, gaming in the 2010s was much better since it's not like all those games from the 2000s went away.

More seriously, I'm leaning more towards the games released in the 2010s being better. As some others have said here, I think that the 2000s started strong and ended on a weak note, whereas the 2010s started weak but ended very strong (with 2017 being the best year for games in this millenium's first 20 years, in my opinion).

Of course, if I had to pick a decade as the best, neither of them this century come close to the 1990s for me, though.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
There are so many unique and innovative ideas in the 2010s that would never have been made/published in the 2000s.

Her Story
EXA-Punks
Inside
Hollow Knight
Papers Please
Into the Breach
Night in the Woods
Everything
Antichamber
Baba is You
Gone Home
Kentucky Route Zero
Undertale
Outer Wilds
Wilmot's Warehouse
Return to the Obra Dinn
Cuphead

etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
WXfuedi.gif

Daryehl

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RIo de Janeiro, Brazil
2000's.

Metroid Prime / Bioshock / Halo / Final Fantasy X / Zelda TP and WW / Half Life 2 / Uncharted 1 and 2 / Residente Evil 4 / Massa Effect / Elder of Scrolls oblivion / GTA San Andreas / Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 / Pikmin / Tony Hawk era / Devil May Cry / God of War's birth / Mario Sunshine and Galaxy

Maybe I'm just becoming old and grumpy but I think It was better before.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Man, that's really tough.

The first half of the 2000's was the end of the PS1 era, the short-lived (but sweet) Dreamcast, and PS2 just absolutely rocking basically the entire gen. The last half was PS3's rough start, but some good games sprinkled in there, the 360 powering through despite hardware issues and charging for online, and the cultural phenomenon of the Wii.

2010's gave us the back part of the PS3 library (which was pretty great), the outstanding PS4, and the rise of the Switch- but also the Kinect-focused back part of the 360, the troubles with the X1, and the bomb that was the WiiU.

I don't think I can choose. :/

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
2000s

Pros:
- Better horror games
- AAA arcade racing
- Everything wasn't open world
- No GAAS

Cons:
- Less indies, although the abundance of AA games made up for it.
- Too much shooters during the latter half
- The mandatory online modes in SP games

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Might sound like I'm chickening out, but its a mix of both for me. From the mid 2000's to early 2010's was my favorite period. Got everything from Half-Life 2 to The Last of Us in that period.

The amount of time I played L4D, Gears 2, and TF2 is disgusting.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
We've had some great games in the 2010s, but personally I enjoyed my time gaming in 2000s more. Whether this is because I was younger, less depressed, had a lot more time to game, etc. is up in the air.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda tough, I'd say I probably have more fonder memories of 2000's games, especially PS2 stuff. But enjoyed much more from the 2010s. I also take a pretty big break from gaming from 2006 to 2010, playing pretty much nothing outside of a game of FIFA here and there, few PS3 exclusives or GTA4 in that period and caught up on most from that period in the 2010s.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Oh it's another 'how old are you' thread

In almost every case people's best gaming yasrs is regardless of quality and usually when they were 12-20

Not for me. I was born in 1975, and my favorite gaming years are 1998-2003 and 2013-2017. At first I was in favor of the latter era, largely due to indies, but it stopped short due to open world fad, the lack of arcade racers, and horror games adopting run & hide style.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
First half of the 2000's was great, the latter half not so much. The 2010's were the opposite - a relatively weak first half, a great second. Speaking as someone who enjoys Japanese games primarily, at least. It took those devs forever to adjust to the HD era.

Overall though I'd say I prefer this decade, due to the sheer variety of experiences on offer and the diversity found within games and their developers.