• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
Every time I see people talking about the original DS, people often seem to talk about the R4 cartridge being incredibly common. Not only did I not own a R4, I didn't know anyone who owned one, or never even saw them for sale on the high street.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I owned one, downloaded hundreds of games and barely played any of them.

Since then, I always buy my games and I enjoy it way more.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I knew a kid who owned one but I never had one. I'd like to get something similar for my hacked 3DS because nearly all of my games are physical and it's a hassle

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
my dad loaded one up with a bunch of games for me when i was a kid. i still use it, it's pretty useful for playing pokemon rom hacks

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah, I thought it would be cool to run emulators on DS, but the actual experience was sub-par. I also had a cart for the 3DS that let me dump all my games to an SD card and play without the carts, which was cool

Oct 27, 2017
They literally sold R4 carts in department stores here in Korea. I had guys at the games market sell me a DS and then offer to load up an R4 with games. Seemed like a really shortsighted move on their part.

Parents also happily bought them for their children and every kid at the academies I worked at had an R4.

It's no wonder really that Nintendo's distribution situation in Korea is shaky even to this day. The Switch seems to be doing alright though.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, all original baby.

We'd get customers in our shop all the time asking if we sold them. Why would we cannibalize our own business?

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
They were pretty ubiquitous in the UK.

I never purchased/used one, but I had bought a 2nd hand DS and got two of them with it, I tend to like owning physical games for collection reasons so R4 wasn't really useful, even if I hadn't of been bothered about the moral reasoning

Oct 28, 2017
I had one but I never played anything close to an entire game on one. I would basically shove a few weird ROMs of Japanese-only games and the like and play them for ten minutes, as a demo. Still it's wrong and bad and I was wrong and bad for doing such a wrong and bad thing.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I bought one via a friend whose 19 year old uncle bought them, loaded them with games and sold them to kids through my friend who got a cut of the profit lol.

Still own a much later model which can be used to install custom firmware on 3DS and for DS homebrew which allows me to dump gba games and save files among other things.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup,
In my country ,despite it being piracy,legitimate video game stores used to sell them with 50 games pre installed when i was younger. Its actually insane to think about now in retrospect.Thats how popular they were

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Yup, had one one and downloaded a bunch of games on there constantly. Almost never finished them though because there was so much choice. Actually ended up buying a ton of the games i downloaded after that too. Got one for the 3ds too to play a couple specific games but never used it much.

As a teenager I definitely didn't take piracy serious.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Not for DS, but I have an R4 for my 3DS, which is actually a DS R4, so, yeah lol...

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
no. had a ds with tons of games. great console.

they seemed very widespread here in the UK though. so many shops selling them and people seeemed to know about them far more then is usual for this kind of thing

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
a17.png

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
I saw them absolutely everywhere here in the UK. Two of my friends had one as did someone I was dating. Pawn shops had them in every window.

Goomy

Banned
Aug 31, 2019
I used to have one. It was probably my first experience with emulation: running games from the Game Boy, Mega Drive and SNES (albeit with worse sound and, in the SNES' case, dozens of graphical glitches) was a treat and how I first experienced stuff like Donkey Kong Country and Castlevania IV. Heck, I even watched videos on the DS thanks to that thing.

Sadly, you couldn't run GBA games on it.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, but I'm a goody two shoes who never had a chipped PS1 either, and everyone I knew had a chipped PS1 lol.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Yep, but it wasn't an R4, it was called "Acekard"

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I had one before with my NDS. While it's convenient to have all DS games in one card (games are inside the SD card and R4 is basically a card reader), however that thing can be unreliable at some point where your save data will be corrupted randomly.

I don't know if any latest version of R4 improved/fixed that problem, but I never bother to buy another updated version; I only used it once with certain firmware.

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, almost everybody had them around here. Was rare to see actual DS games (except 1 or 2 maybe), haha.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Yes but accidentally.

I bought a "DS Lite + 25 games" bundle on ebay and expected a pile of game cases but instead got the system with an R4 and 3 cds with images of Nintendo characters on them which were full of hundreds of game image files.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm from the UK and I don't recall ever seeing one for sale. Course its unlikely Game or Gamestation or Virgin or whoever would have sold them.

Oh for sure, nothing official would of had them anywhere... But they were common enough that my Auntie, with no kids of her own, and never having played a single game in her life, knew to ask if I could make an R4 for her to give as a gift. Pretty similar to the days of "chipped" PS1s really

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I had/have an acekard 2i with akaio. It didn't age well, it crashes every 10 minutes now. Great device for having multiple Pokémon saves to swap between

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
...Is this a piracy thread?

Edit: Yeah basically everyone here in my country (even people who normally buy games) had an R4. Not me of course..

Last edited:

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Yeah, i had it. It was pretty common to have it if you were a teen with barely any income and you had at best bithdays and Christmas.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Not back in the day but I'm considering getting one so I can play my legit copy of Soma Bringers with a translation patch. Either that or I stop being lazy and finally soft mod my 3DS.