• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you or do you still eat slices of american cheese by themselves?

• Yes

Votes: 167 27.6%
  • No - But I did as a kid

Votes: 208 34.4%
  • No - Never did

Votes: 229 37.9%

• Total voters

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I needed something to go with the slice. Anything. A slice of bread. Rolled up with some ham or bologna.
I could never just eat american cheese on its own, even as a kid.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to as a kid...

But the Wife and I bought some on July 4th as part of some burgers we made and I've been eating the singles on their own/as a snack.

I feel tremendous shame each and every time.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Not often, but I'm not above eating a slice by itself while I'm making burgers or something. It's not enjoyable to the degree good cheese is, but it's not bad or anything. This would be the American you get sliced at the deli counter (e.g. Boar's Head)—which is a fair bit nicer texturally than Kraft Singles and whatnot.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I do sometimes eat cheese slices by themselves, but it's usually pepper jack, not American.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Hell no. As a kid I thought I didn't like cheese because American cheese was all I knew. Still can't really tolerate it very well, although it's decent on a burger.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised at the results. I figured there'd be a lot more amatear cooks trying to sound cooler.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love American Cheese. Nothing melts better, not a god damn thing. And the cool thing with american cheese is it will help other cheeses melt better, so if you're making a grilled cheese with cheddar, throw some american on there to help with the melting process.

Do yourself a favor and next time you make burgers splurge for the fancy deli sliced american that LOL makes and get some cheddar or muenster or pepper jack, w/e you like, make the burgers slap a slice of american on top and your fancy cheese on top of that and your fancy cheese will melt 1000 times better.

Jayuk

Oct 27, 2017
I love the white or yellow American cheese from Boar's Head or Land O Lakes. I won't touch any of the other stuff unless it happens to be on a burger I order at a fast food place.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love American Cheese. Nothing melts better, not a god damn thing. And the cool thing with american cheese is it will help other cheeses melt better, so if you're making a grilled cheese with cheddar, throw some american on there to help with the melting process.

Do yourself a favor and next time you make burgers splurge for the fancy deli sliced american that LOL makes and get some cheddar or muenster or pepper jack, w/e you like, make the burgers slap a slice of american on top and your fancy cheese on top of that and your fancy cheese will melt 1000 times better.

I wasn't a believer but it really does help when needing to melt good cheese. You can buy emulsifying salts to melt cheese but that is not as practical as just throwing as slice of american on something.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't eat much american cheese. With that said, I do like cheese slices by themselves. Not sure what the name of it is but the cheese in europe (the brick looking one) that you slice your self is tasty as hell alone if you don't want to make a sandwich.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
American cheese alone is like one of those flavors I cannot stand. Like an uncooked hot dog. Yuck.

ill eat American cheese but it has to be on something and preferably melted

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
What? I don't see how anyone can eat cheese by itself, let alone american cheese. Sounds completely disgusting.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Deli sliced white american cheese is a godsend.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I always hated American cheese. American cheese is why I grew up thinking/stating I hated cheese -- even though I ate pizza, spaghetti, lasagna, etc -- before ultimately realizing it's that shitty fake cheese being tossed on sandwiches, burgers, crackers, and so on that I truly despise.

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1205095-never.jpg

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
God, no. Slices of actual cheese, sure. I'll munch on sliced Pepperjack. But American cheese? Cold? God, no.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
I use put a layer of cheddar cheese on instant ramen. Haven't bought kraft in years.

Though I did get government cheese during quarantine lol.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've hated American cheese all my life until seriously just the last year or so when I've kinda come around to it as a sandwich ingredient. Especially on grilled sandwiches. But hell no, I still can't eat it straight.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? All American cheese is processed cheese.

Sorry you are right but some reason

This doesnt taste good

Kraft Natural Cheese | Create Something Special In Your Home

From snack time to dinner time, there’s a Kraft Natural Cheese for every appetite. Explore our shredded, sliced, grated, cube, block, cracker cut, stick and string cheeses guaranteed to bring a smile to the whole family.

But this is great.

Kraft Natural Cheese | Create Something Special In Your Home

From snack time to dinner time, there’s a Kraft Natural Cheese for every appetite. Explore our shredded, sliced, grated, cube, block, cracker cut, stick and string cheeses guaranteed to bring a smile to the whole family.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I came from an Italian-American family and we always had provolone from the deli and I ate so many slices.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
A while ago, some of my family visited from Australia and got some slices of Kraft cheese, perhaps confusing it for cheese. I had to eat nearly the whole package because they couldn't finish them.
We have kraft cheese slices in Australia, they probably just went with what they recognise or because ready sliced proper cheese is much more common in Australia so they may have been looking for that and couldn't be bothered to use a fucking knife to cut a block up. Or they're just Bogans.

I have one kid who will only eat proper cheese on a burger and one who only has plastic cheese (American cheese, kraft singles, whatever...). Outside of a burger they have no place in this world.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I will accept american cheese is melted on a burger, and that's a rarity in itself.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
As a kid, sure, when it was in the house (although that wasn't super common, usually it was deli cheese)

As an adult, I don't ever buy Kraft Singles, I buy cheese only from the deli, sometimes American but usually not

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Nothing like a Kraft single and marmite straight from the jar to work up a feeding frenzy before I dump the bag of Oreos on the floor.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Is American cheese sold outside of the us? Maybe under a different name?

yeah it's just called processed cheese.

this is an ad from the 60s for New Zealand chesdale processed cheese.

It's only called 'American cheese' because of An advertising campaign from Kraft, started by the Canadian-born James Lewis Kraft, I believe.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Land o lakes and other actual deli american cheese is good, but to me it just can't stack up to real cheese. With that said, if I have a stack of deli american cheese in front of me I'll probably eat a slice. Kraft singles, na I'm good fam.