• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

[siegthink.jpg]

• Enjoyed going through Chalice Dungeons repeatedly

Votes: 101 14.7%
  • Enjoyed Chalice Dungeons as a one-time experience, but not repeatedly

Votes: 319 46.6%
  • Didn't enjoy the Chalice Dungeon 'system'

Votes: 265 38.7%

• Total voters

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The randomness (of the Root dungeons) provides a bit of replayability, but I generally disliked them. I thought some of the unique areas were cool (like that big dusty chasm with the bridges in Ailing Loran. deep fukkn lore) but would have preferred those to be in a "main game" area. I also don't like having to go through the ladder of chalices on multiple characters to get better gems, but as I didn't like Bloodborne PVP I don't actually care about this as much. I know people ended up making hacked false depth chalices to skip that but ignore that for argument sake.

I think overall a non for me. You
DPN3qef.png
?

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy them. I see why people do not, but I think there's plenty of variation, and really enjoyed the distinct atmosphere of each.

I didn't do Root dungeons.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yes, I love them. A lot of my time playing Bloodborne is through co-op in the chalice dungeons with mates and randoms. I wouldn't value Bloodborne as highly without them 2bh. Bloodborne's overall design and art direction stops them from getting stale, Loran especially looks so fucking nice.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
They were fine the first time through, not so much when you visit the same dungeon for the 1000th time.
I enjoyed some of the unique bosses though.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
yeah

I ran through with the blades of mercy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Everything except those fucking Defiled dungeons. Fuck that noise. Defiled Watchdog was my nemesis for two straight weeks.

Jan 21, 2019
They are everything I don't want from a fromsoft game. Random generation without the soul of a unique experience. I hope we never see them again and instead get more unique handcrafted environments.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It reminded me very much of the original King's Field, and I do not mean that positively.

The copy/paste nature of it, even for the "fixed" dungeons, got old very early in, before we got literal recolors in sandy orange and glowy blue.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I enjoyed it while getting the platinum. I didn't struggle with it as much as a lot of people seem to have though. My only complaint with it was how repetitive the environments were.

Joei

Feb 3, 2018
I enjoyed them as I played more of them, if that makes any sense. And some of the bosses are dope as hell. I also went through all the dungeons and completed the final boss. If anything, I wish they were integrated better into the main game.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
If there was loot of any use it would have been lot more fun to go through them, but I had lots of fun doing the one run to kill Queen anyway.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed but it was to sparse. They needed a better randomized system, because it takes forever to get to the "good" ones. I wish to see it explored again though but with some more thought put into it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Loved all the extra bosses and the 'fixed' dungeons leading up to the secret boss, but wasn't interested in random ones for their own sake at all.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've done a full run of all the preset dungeons twice. Honestly, I think that all From needed to do was get rid of the first two depths, as they're generally too easy and contribute to the repetitiveness that you feel later on. Hell, they could've eliminated depth 3 as well except for the Defiled Chalice and then you have some neat late-game content that offers a good challenge, decent gems for farmers, and doesn't feel overly lengthy or repetitive.

As it is, being forced to clear out the early dungeons to make the actually interesting ones available means the whole venture is not worthwhile most of the time.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Tried it once for a hour (?) Got pretty bored/lost/confused on what to do tbh and never touched it again

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
They are everything I don't want from a fromsoft game. Random generation without the soul of a unique experience. I hope we never see them again and instead get more unique handcrafted environments.
I think only the "root" versions of Chalices are random, the rest are fixed.

The copy/paste nature of it, even for the "fixed" dungeons, got old very early in, before we got literal recolors in sandy orange and glowy blue.
Yeah I think the sameyness of it (and maybe just the aesthetic in general of the underground. Give me the sky pls) is what I didn't like. Aside from it being optional, I guess there isn't that much of a difference between doing a chalice 3 times and doing a main game area 3 times, but the latter feels good so maybe I just dislike the chalice dungeons as an "area"

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Enjoyed going after the final boss of the dungeons. So a 1 time only thing. It was what i liked less, but some exclusive enemies and bosses that u can only find in the dungeons made it worth it.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
Being able to jump into random co-op without having to go all over the world for specific bosses was awesome. It was great being able to jump on and run some random bosses without needed to spend a lot of time hoping someone in my level range needed help on a specific boss.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They should've incentivized the player better to go through them as they progress through the game, given how quickly the latter half of the game develops and how without DLC the game's significantly shorter than other Fromlikes.

It's because people tend to leave it to the end that they are such a slog by the time people usually actually get to them.

edit: I didn't spend much time doing chalices and I wish they were a touch more varied.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Being able to jump into random co-op without having to go all over the world for specific bosses was awesome. It was great being able to jump on and run some random bosses without needed to spend a lot of time hoping someone in my level range needed help on a specific boss.
^^

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Not really. It was an interesting idea executed badly. Chalice dungeons came against everything FROM made their name for. Handcrafted and unique level design with environmental story telling was absent. If you'd like to play them for the challenge,the later ones are certainly interesting.

But yeah,corridor dungeons with uninteresting design and repetitive loop,find key unlock door fight boss and repeat. Blahh

And imagine Bloodborne has one of the most amazing campaigns ever and the contrast hits really bad imo

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the Chalice dungeons and have spent dozens of hours going through them. They're one of the many aspects of Bloodborne that makes it one of my all time favorite games.

And in terms of level design, they're not too far removed from the average Devil May Cry game.

Feb 15, 2019
If I could trade every single chalice dungeon and every single chalice dungeon boss for one more area in the game, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I'm a scrub when it comes to Souls games but the dungeons have been the most frustrating part of Bloodborne. Farming materials for the higher chalices wasn't fun. Playing the defiled chalice wasn't fun; the flame dog and Amygdala were crazy hard. The last boss was fun and all that but overall the Souls formula works best in more open environments with more creativity. After a while all dungeons started to look the same and it was a relief to be done with them once and for all.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I loved he idea of them but didn't play them as much as I would've liked. I wish they would have expanded on it with Sekiro.

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Like I get why people don't like them but I enjoyed them immensely like all the fun goofy stuff was hidden in them and I really enjoyed just the solid core game loop

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Horrible generic level and encounter design and just a stupid grind. Some bosses were great but the whole concept was very cheap in design.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
i would've loved an expanded idea of chalice dungeons on Dark Souls 3 DLC, but i didnt liked them that much on BB

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Chalice Dungeons are 4 hours of content spread over 40 hours of gameplay.

They aren't like Diablo either, where you have a loot grind to motivate you. There are just a few items worth getting out of the experience.

If they had taken the handful of interesting bosses and condensed the entire thing into one hand crafted dungeon, Bloodborne would have been better for it.

Mediocre, boring, repetitive. A long, dreary waste of time with only a few interesting moments.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Not great, but I played through all the fixed dungeons, and then a few random dungeons to try to find some good gems.

At first I didn't care for them, but if you think of them as supplemental content to a game already brimming with content, I love that it's there.

I think the chalice dungeons are best done in a way where you interlace them throughout the rest of the adventure. To just do dungeon after dungeon after dungeon, yes it's very exhausting. But if you complete an area in the main game, then do a dungeon and get a nice gem, it feels fine.

Izzwan

Oct 27, 2017
Malaysia
I think From can expand this to a full game with more tilesets and random loots. Basically Diablo with Soulsborne's combat.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't enjoy is the only option that really fits how I feel about them from the poll but a more accurate way would be that I thought it was a good concept just kinda weak in execution.

I loved the idea of having "micro" dungeons but I think they were a bit slow and uneaven. Sometimes the bosses would be a total joke and the level usually felt off in their design.

I would like it if the idea came back but more in diablo 3 style rifts. As a fun end game cooperative pve activity. Where you actually get to put all those stats and upgrades to real work. A race against the clock, randomized bosses and enemy affixes, weird nightmarish twisting levels that make no sense from random maps cobbled together. I think that sounds fast paced, tense and thrilling.

The chalice dungeons were boring as hell.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like that they are required content for the beast claws and some runes (gems I don't love to begin with). They're an interesting experiment, not completely successful but I think overall the game is better for having taken this risk.

If I had to propose a quick and cheap solution:
- less and more distinct "story" chalices: have four chalices important for the story, with the exclusive bosses included, beast claw and at least some endgame rune included
- more variety in the random generated dungeon, more strange events and encounters, reintroduce boss rush chalices

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Loved em. Some of the best memories I have of Bloodborne are from the chalice dungeon bosses.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they were straight up awful and wish they never tied any unique bosses to it. The game's combat is fun but the level design is really needed for the whole experience to click, and that rips it out.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If they made actually procedural layouts that didn't feel like the same few rooms and hallways, I think it would be great. I played them once, didn't really enjoy how boring they were, and then forgot about them.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Nope, they suck and I still haven't got the final Trophy for the Platinum because of them.

They don't stop BB from being my favourite game of all time, but man, they're just a slog.