• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thoughts on "Atomic" Nintendo consoles?

• They're awesome and they'd definitely sell well today! Get on it, Nintendo!

Votes: 339 65.1%
  • They're awesome but I doubt they'd sell that well - times have changed.

Votes: 93 17.9%
  • Yuck. Never liked them, but I'm probably in the minority and they'd still sell great.

Votes: 44 8.4%
  • Yuck. Never liked them and you'd be foolish to think they'd sell today.

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Nintendo is gonna sell a bajillion Switches, anyway, so they shouldn't/won't bother regardless.

Votes: 18 3.5%

• Total voters
Aug 10, 2019
Still got my limegreen N64 hooked up to this day!
giphy.gif

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never owned any of their clear consoles/handhelds but there's a certain appeal to them I dig.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
See-Through electronics are fuckin amazing and every single company should make them. Period.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My option wasn't in the poll. I used to like them but think they look tacky now. I'm sure they would sell well because gamers have no taste

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
RGB is terrible too. It was a challenge to build my last pc without RGB because of how saturated the market is with that shit.

Rgb is the fucking worst, i got a new computer last month, a nice clean black monolith chassi with zero leds, as i turned it on at night i noticed the wall behind my computer light up like the sun, turns out my motherboard, ram and gpu all had super bright rpg puke, i disabled that shit asap.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
I've never really liked transparent electronics. Reminds me of those cheesy phones every teenager had in the 80s. Though the "This is cool" Saturn may be an exception.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
When done right it really works, purple GBC and the clear N64s were awesome I still have my 'smoke' system and controller. The Switch pro controller having that clear front face place works well too.

Some 3rd party controllers really look bad with it, especially if they have a white base and lights.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
They could make a killing on a transparent Switch, but it would have to be a little more tasteful than transparent systems of the past. Something like the 500 Million edition PS4 Pro or the Xbox phantom white controller.

Bloops

Jan 11, 2021
I've always loved them just because it's cool to see inside the console, obviously! But after five minutes it feels a bit much, I don't really want to describe it as "ugly" or "cheap" but at the very least I know it's just not my thing, and that's ok. It might just be the coloured plastic, I don't mind the Gameboys and Advance pictured above. The transparent 2DS in particular gets to me though, that thing just disgusts me.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I like it with 90s and early 2000s circuit boards, where functionality was essentially the only thought given to their design.

As someone who's repaired his fair share of electronics, some modern boards look more premium than others. I don't like it if the board inside looks rather cheap, like with the Joy-Cons. The Pro Controller looks better, though (and honestly, a lot of what makes it look less cheap might just be going with a non-green board and covering more of the traces and solder).

I didn't vote in the poll because I don't feel either of the first two options properly conveys the nuance of how I feel here. I certainly did love my atomic purple GBC and N64 controller, though.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Like a few others I replaced the shell on my launch switch with the atomic purple shells. Kids thought it was neat.

Found a random AC Switch on Christmas Eve and I'm gonna leave that one alone.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
They're a product of their time as was the whole translucent plastic era. Everyone did it back then. Everything had colored clear plastic. Consoles, computers, appliances, you name it. It was a trend and it's over now. Way over. They're just a novelty now. A rarity. If it happens it's for nostalgia. But no one buys something for this design aesthetic anymore. I don't care if my Switch isn't clear. I don't need to see the insides of my device anymore.

That said I was always jealous of the orange clear N64 back then. And I never had a clear GameBoy until the Atomic Purple GBC which I only got clear because it was all that came out at launch. I don't think we even had the clear GBA. We had the white one. Other than that I had a clear iMac DV+ (Ruby red) and I think that's it. I did like how GameBoy Color exclusive games came in clear cartridges though. It was a neat way to make it easy to distinguish between GameBoy only (Plain grey or colored cart), GameBoy Color only (Clear cart with a bump instead of a concave indentation for gripping) and GameBoy Color Hybrid carts. (Black cartridge with the original style case) I remember when I had my Super Mario Bros. Deluxe cart. Such a pretty cart. Damn I wonder where that ever went...

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's got quite a retro vibe but Ive been so tempted to do some nice clear aftermarket joycons for my switch...and if I felt confident they wouldn't develop drift 5 minutes later i totally would.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEraā„¢ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Legit the best looking systems and controllers had the see-through aesthetic. Even the PS4's lame attempt at it is still cool (only the front of the controller is see-through, the backside is not).

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's cool, I definitely enjoy seeing the tech underneath. The Switch pro controller does it in a subtle way which is neat too, I could see more modern hardware taking that approach.

mute

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the look but never owned anything with it. I had a solid purple GBC and skipped the first gen GBA entirely.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I like it. I'm glad the Pro controller is still doing it, even if it's more subtle.

Custom clear Switches look great too.

Lvng

Nov 1, 2017
I only liked it on certain things. I thought it looked great on the GB colour and on the recent PS4 special edition, but I don't like it in any of its incarnations on the N64 or GBA. Perhaps it has to do with shape or the quality of the translucency.