• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you like Jessie's flirting with Cloud?

• Yes, that was cool

Votes: 1,445 77.6%
  • No, they went overboard with it

Votes: 418 22.4%

• Total voters

Antoo

May 1, 2019
The point where she's at your door playing house by herself is the moment it went from amusing to ridiculous. The revelation that's she's an actor gives some clarity to the way she acts, but this game has no room for nuance and beats you over the head with the traits of certain characters. It just turns into a harem at a certain point where they override the characters to make them all fantasize and ogle Cloud.

The moments Jessie is great are when she is just snarky and playful such as when she criticizes Cloud playing too hard to get. Her being so forceful and getting into roleplay stuff comes across as desperate and creepy. Also, it's annoying that most of the time she plays things up is in service of Cloud and nothing else.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
They nailed a certain type of girl teasing a shy guy. The "psychs" were a little much, but everything else was great.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
They laid it a bit thick on times, I'm just happy there was some kind of explanation for it.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Never cared for Jessie in the OG and cared for her a bit in remake. I think she was acting but it was still bad. Just compare with Aerith and it's not even a contest. Aerith teasing Cloud is far more believable.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
To me everyone's lines and anime voice acting is overboard so not sure Jessie's flirting stands out.

I thought they should have just had her get frustrated enough to yell, "Oh my god %*#! me already!"

It was too "anime" for my taste.... to point where I was beginning to cringe and roll my eyes...

Yeah. For me that's most of the interactions between every character. Huge fucking flop in that regard.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Give me DLC where Jessie makes fun of Cloud for getting that "hand job" in Wall Market.

I also saw it as Jessie just messing with Cloud.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was just stupid. Reeks of narrative laziness -- "We can make the player character really care about Jessie if she is unashamedly and relentlessly attracted to him."

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It made me feel a bit awkward.

The other reason I don't like it is because I hate it when every female character is in love with the protagonist in Japanese games.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Jessie in the remake but some people in here are acting like she punted a kitten.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish that I could find that japanese analysis that some japanese guy did explaining that everyone in that game was thirsty for Cloud Specially Sephiroth

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
I literally laughed out loud. I thought the flirting was great.

Jessie: Mind coming over tomorrow night? My roommates should be out for awhile
Cloud: Are you seriously that desperate?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was just stupid. Reeks of narrative laziness -- "We can make the player character really care about Jessie if she is unashamedly and relentlessly attracted to him."
It's not like that was the only thing she had going. With her family and acting backstory she got more character building than any of the avalanche guys

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of Jessie's character shouldn't be how thirsty she is. Like I felt second hand embarassment just watching her scenes. Even if she's faking, it's still dumb af. When people wanted Jessie to have an expanded character, I'm pretty sure this isn't what they wanted.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
In a vacuum I had no problem with it but a lot of the Tifa/Aerith scenes in addition definitely made me feel like they were leaning into harem tropes too much. I get that angle was in the original game but it felt a lot more subdued and had a gameplay incentive that doesn't exist in Part 1.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I've known plenty of people like Jessie. She's forward because she's confident, but it's just harmless lighthearted fun trying to get Cloud to stop being so stoic and self-serious like your typical ERA poster (heh). She tries to make everyone around her smile.

Cloud doesn't know how to respond to someone who's so comfortable being herself, because he's unsure of how to be emotionally available to those around him without making himself vulnerable. And that just makes the whole dynamic even cuter.

And while Jessie is goofy, she's also self-aware and, in her quiet moments, deeply introspective, carrying with her the weight of collateral damage from the bombing runs, and always the fear of losing her comatose father to the lifestream. At the end of the day she's still the sweet girl whose parents doted on her, and they mean the world to her.

A great character, and another example of how Remake took the "rough draft" that is the original and embellished it, elevating it to something truly great.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I thought it was over the top, but several moments would go from that level of "flirty" to her seemingly acting "defeated" and switching to a normal tone.

So to me, it felt like she was putting on an act to mess with Cloud a bit, perhaps trying to get him to open up since he is so awkward and "cool guy". When you learn about her past and what she used to be before AVALANCHE, along with Wedge even telling Cloud "it's all an act!" it made way more sense.

In the end, the over-the-top flirting was a small part of how she acted and most of the time she was actually very deliberate and struggling internally with how things happened. She couldn't even face up to her actions openly to the point of not being able to go into the room she has asks Cloud to steal from, and only shared how she truly felt about the bombing run with Cloud.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It was incredibly annoying and not funny. It wouldn't have been so bad if she had any other character traits, but she just didn't.

Senki Dala

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
What I don't like for sure is obvious spoilers in a thread title and everyone not giving a fuck about it.
(Btw I finished FFVIIR but I think about people who wanna discover the game)

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
She's excellent, really enjoyed her positivity and the fun she has teasing Cloud. She's no more over the top than any other character with their specific traits but people think sexuality = bad, so the criticism isn't surprising.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't even like Jessie in a "waifu" sense because I don't proxy myself in as Cloud. I think Cloud is his own character and I frankly think that most of the time he sucks as a person and I love the contrast that the lighter-toned characters present by riffing off of him, Jessie included, and I LOVE the hint that Jessie is just messing with him and only doing it to entertain herself because she, like me, perhaps realizes that he's a dull asshole trying too hard at being gruff.

EDIT: it's worth noting that I think Cloud is an effective and endearing character to me precisely because of his flaws but I don't see him as a role model or ideal extension of me in any way. Just a good character/tool at expressing FFVII's themes

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Way overboard, but I feel similarly to how Aerith and Tifa acted towards Cloud too. Came off really pandering, especially compared to the moments that actually felt cute and natural.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been fine with it even being a bit overboard, but it's basically every line out of her.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It was incredibly annoying, and I doubt people would have found it "cute" or "adorable" if, say, Wedge had been constantly trying to flirt with Jessie or Tifa after they'd made it clear they weren't interested.

That would have made the game at least slightly better. Didn't like the really narrow-minded harem setting at all.

Jan 3, 2019
edb

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
quite possibly the grossest route they could even think to go.

Yeah. I mean Cloud x Yuffie is tolerable with context although their dynamic wouldn't work as a couple.

Never cared for Jessie in the OG and cared for her a bit in remake. I think she was acting but it was still bad. Just compare with Aerith and it's not even a contest. Aerith teasing Cloud is far more believable.

Jessie is Aerith's flirty attitude times 10.

She's like a horny punk Aerith.

6f395ecc12f26f90cefa3ebfce968350138de97c.gifv

def39621ced0d245783f141eef0194ae4ce05a33.gifv

61cbc64944168d3796b8ee77bb88d7ea9b67d3c5.png

19020d545c0a47170b51d130e30239dfebb407de.png

a5d2e6c4c0285d9e11de5e96a7bb8b784fe9ef7e.png

fffacae8df0aad193746dea25d705d6a5494727d.png

e660f88aa04c1c595eb6faf91e290903e91d484e.png

a3802845a2f7c574004cc12dea82b4cf5a7cec49.png

437f9323ce600bfb92efedc7f757bd25fbad9375.png