• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you like Final Fantasy VII Remake's ending?

• I liked the ending and I've played the original FFVII

Votes: 1,410 59.2%
  • I did not like the ending and I've played the original FFVII

Votes: 651 27.3%
  • I liked the ending and I did not play the original FFVII

Votes: 238 10.0%
  • I did not like the ending and I did not play the original FFVII

Votes: 84 3.5%

• Total voters

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Lifejumper already answered in his latest post. It seems, then, that that phrase refers to this, unless they want to pull another twist.

I really wonder could Cloud do tho.

The interesting part is that
Cloud has to take a decision. Rescue Aerith or the Planet.

All of this could get really interesting. Or it could fail horribly.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The interesting part is that
Cloud has to take a decision. Rescue Aerith or the Planet.

All of this could get really interesting. Or it could fail horribly.
Here's what I think (and hope for) will happen. Hardly an original or unique theory, mind you:
The overall journey will stay the same, with the overall same milestones with some key differences here and there. Much like with Midgar, but with a much greater chance for change seeing as the ghosts are no more and the world beyond the city is vast and filled with subplots and characters.

One of those big changes will be indeed what you're saying, perhaps. Aerith seems to know more than she lets on (probably not as much as Seph, though), whereas Cloud might be aware of some shit going on with Aerith. Come the City of the Ancients, Aerith won't die, maybe due to Cloud saving her (although it wouldn't make sense, as it's not in Sephiroth's best interests to kill her, and I doubt Jenova will go rogue).

Ultimately, the party will be made aware that Aerith has to die for Sephiroth's plan to fail. Or she makes that decision for herself and seeks her death on her own. I've seen people talk about the Northern Crater as a good spot for her to die and shock us, and I think I agree.

The Zack alternative timeline... I really don't know. Maybe it's a way for Cloud and Aerith to have some kind of scene with him. Maybe it's a way to show how the ghosts are ultimately right and things have to go the way they did in the OG for the Planet to succeed (that is, Cloud inheriting the Buster Sword and being the person he is throughout the beginning and then recover his persona later on, and he has to lead the party in a way where Aerith ultimately dies).

It's probably just me trying to convince myself and things will be wildly different, though lol.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Here's what I think (and hope for) will happen. Hardly an original or unique theory, mind you:
The overall journey will stay the same, with the overall same milestones with some key differences here and there. Much like with Midgar, but with a much greater chance for change seeing as the ghosts are no more and the world beyond the city is vast and filled with subplots and characters.

One of those big changes will be indeed what you're saying, perhaps. Aerith seems to know more than she lets on (probably not as much as Seph, though), whereas Cloud might be aware of some shit going on with Aerith. Come the City of the Ancients, Aerith won't die, maybe due to Cloud saving her (although it wouldn't make sense, as it's not in Sephiroth's best interests to kill her, and I doubt Jenova will go rogue).

Ultimately, the party will be made aware that Aerith has to die for Sephiroth's plan to fail. Or she makes that decision for herself and seeks her death on her own. I've seen people talk about the Northern Crater as a good spot for her to die and shock us, and I think I agree.

The Zack alternative timeline... I really don't know. Maybe it's a way for Cloud and Aerith to have some kind of scene with him. Maybe it's a way to show how the ghosts are ultimately right and things have to go the way they did in the OG for the Planet to succeed (that is, Cloud inheriting the Buster Sword and being the person he is throughout the beginning and then recover his persona later on, and he has to lead the party in a way where Aerith ultimately dies).

It's probably just me trying to convince myself and things will be wildly different, though lol.

That reads pretty good and i can see that happening. This stuff is exciting af.

I can also see the game basically following the exact same Storylines but clutch moments like Tempel of the Ancients, Northern Crater etc. will be altered.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017

I agree there's something weird going on with Aerith this time around.

- The weird thing with Red
- The weird thing with Marlene
- She even asks Tifa if she is alright after meeting Sephiroth

Nov 23, 2017
I agree there's something weird going on with Aerith this time around.

- The weird thing with Red
- The weird thing with Marlene
- She even asks Tifa if she is alright after meeting Sephiroth
Yeah, I picked up on that too. The grainy look, sound, and controller vibration happened with her touching Red and Marlene as Cloud was having his Seph/Jenova headaches. I wonder if there's a possibility of Aerith having Jenova cells herself and that they are currently dormant in her. What if Cloud HAS to kill her later because they get awakened and she has the power to cast the Black materia or something? Would be wild lol

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
As a newcomer I didn't like it much but I wouldn't exactly say I hated it. I'm still looking forward to the next one, though I was hoping for a more faithful remake so I could experience the story for the first time in a modern game. Ah well.

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game in the series, and one of my top games of all time.

The Remake's ending was pure garbage, and probably one of the worst in the franchise since IV. It stank of Kingdom Hearts and "let's all have a good ending for everyone" bullshit. I was deeply disappointed with how it ended, and with the inclusion of the Whispers and the whole "change fate" nonsense. The ending to the Midgar segment was infinitely better in the original.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the ending, adored the original and played it to death.

Cannot wait to see where they take this, this is so much better than I expected.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
With the way certain poster(s) continually post in every thread about this that the ending is the worst thing since... I dont know what, I'm surprised that it's this popular in the poll.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Poll should have been set up to separate the Kingdom Hearts fans from the non-Nomura fans.

To me the ending was everything I hated about Kingdom Hearts, the Compilation of Shit, and Final Fantasy XIII. Let's take a great plot line that is already sufficiently complex and throw it all away for some fanfiction that gets people talking. This is Mass Effect 3 all over again.

Fuck, I wish Nomura could have just thrown Gackt in somewhere and called it a day.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
You can usually find this with most games here.

It's honestly a huge bummer. Not that I need or expect everyone to agree about whether it was a good ending, but the constant negativity by the people who didn't like it, and by implication that anyone who did like it has poor taste, just likes "Nomura KH trash" etc. It's mostly the same posters, and it's tiring. But I don't know of a better place to discuss games yet, so, alas.

Oct 25, 2017
Poll should have been set up to separate the Kingdom Hearts fans from the non-Nomura fans.

To me the ending was everything I hated about Kingdom Hearts, the Compilation of Shit, and Final Fantasy XIII. Let's take a great plot line that is already sufficiently complex and throw it all away for some fanfiction that gets people talking. This is Mass Effect 3 all over again.

Fuck, I wish Nomura could have just thrown Gackt in somewhere and called it a day.

The problem is that the ending immediately feels like a story taken from a jaded fan , directly from fanfiction.net, a story from a fan that didn't like that Jessie, Biggs and Wedge died so horribly in the original, so "in his version of the story they survive!". And now Zack survives also! (In another reality or something?).

It literally feels like something that would come out of someone who played the original, found it "too sad" and decided to correct it. My main issue is that this opens the way for the much dreaded "Aerith is saved" bullcrap. If they go that route, the shit sandwich will be complete.

And it's too bad, because I greatly enjoyed the Remake and all the new additions (Like the expanded story with Jessie's home), the boss battles, etc. But when it comes to the theme of loss of the original, it is almost completely lost in the Remake. Heck, at this point it wouldn't surprise me if they save Aerith and manage to turn Sephiroth back into a good guy because at this point why the hell not.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

This is nothing like ME3... that was an ending to a trilogy that ignored the experiences players had cultivated via their choices, and gave us an ABC choice end when they literally promised "no ABC".

They never promised us anything specific here, "remake" doesn't have to mean 1:1. RE3R was a great game despite the changes, this too.

I don't play KH, I liked TWEWY a lot though. I love the original FF7, and I loved the remake ending and all.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I feel bad that younger players are never going to get to experience FF7 now. Most people growing up in the 2020s aren't going to go back and play a PS1 game.

The problem is that the ending immediately feels like a story taken from a jaded fan , directly from fanfiction.net, a story from a fan that didn't like that Jessie, Biggs and Wedge died so horribly in the original, so "in his version of the story they survive!". And now Zack survives also! (In another reality or something?).

It literally feels like something that would come out of someone who played the original, found it "too sad" and decided to correct it. My main issue is that this opens the way for the much dreaded "Aerith is saved" bullcrap. If they go that route, the shit sandwich will be complete.

And it's too bad, because I greatly enjoyed the Remake and all the new additions (Like the expanded story with Jessie's home), the boss battles, etc. But when it comes to the theme of loss of the original, it is almost completely lost in the Remake. Heck, at this point it wouldn't surprise me if they save Aerith and manage to turn Sephiroth back into a good guy because at this point why the hell not.

Yeah, it's sad that the meaningful themes from the original game are going to be thrown to the side in favour of time traveling and destiny.

This is nothing like ME3... that was an ending to a trilogy that ignored the experiences players had cultivated via their choices, and gave us an ABC choice end when they literally promised "no ABC".

They never promised us anything specific here, "remake" doesn't have to mean 1:1. RE3R was a great game despite the changes, this too.

I don't play KH, I liked TWEWY a lot though. I love the original FF7, and I loved the remake ending and all.

It has the same energy as Mass Effect 3 in that the writers wrote the ending to intentionally encourage online speculation.

Square traded a guaranteed-good scenario for a Nomura and co indulgence. It's even worse now since they proved they can meaningfully expand the original while doing a faithful remake for new generations. I don't get how anyone can be cautiously optimistic about the future potential of the series after Kingdom Hearts and the FFXIII trilogy.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad that younger players are never going to get to experience FF7 now. Most people growing up in the 2020s aren't going to go back and play a PS1 game.

Yeah, it's sad that the meaningful themes from the original game are going to be thrown to the side in favour of time traveling and destiny.

It has the same energy as Mass Effect 3 in that the writers wrote the ending to intentionally encourage online speculation.

Square traded a guaranteed-good scenario for a Nomura and co indulgence. It's even worse now since they proved they can meaningfully expand the original while doing a faithful remake for new generations. I don't get how anyone can be cautiously optimistic about the future potential of the series after Kingdom Hearts and the FFXIII trilogy.
I can't agree with this at all, the ending was really well handled and the energy is nothing like the ME3 situation.

I don't play KH, but TWEWY was great. FF13 was just meh all the way through story wise, but the entirety of FF7R was golden.

So, we'll see. Optimistic right now thoughm

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't mind it but I feel like they only added it to make the end more of a spectacle for newcomers. I think the game was good enough that they didn't need to go full anime to make it feel like its own game instead of part one of a bigger story.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It was fun as a spectacle but as someone who hasn't played the original, I was very confused and didn't really understand what was going on.

Sephiroth as a whole was such a bad addition to the game. I don't get why I should care about this guy and why he is such an evil force that needs to be defeated and the game didn't even bother trying to explain any of that. It also didn't make it clear why they should even leave Midgar or where they are going.

It really felt like the ending was made with only long time fans in mind.

Last edited:

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel completely deflated having just beat the game. I was really enjoying the ride, but the ending made me more confused and perturbed than anything.
My wife who is a huge fan of the original and watched this play they literally stood up and said "fuck this" and stormed out of the room. She feels like she got a full bait and switch pulled on her.

As of right now I probably won't buy the rest of the series until maybe it comes out and I've heard a lot of good things.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

Where I'm at is that if this was done to free the characters up for new, exciting, yet still sad and poignant adventures, then okay I want to see it through to the end.

That this newfound "freedom" was immediately used to save all the Avalanche members AND Zack (alternate timeline, whatever, doesn't matter) leads me to believe this is not what's going to happen, at all. Aerith not dying (which is what's going to happen yall) is going to be just one of many plot points changed in the name of a safer story.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was fine. Hopefully this means we don't see the whispers again which I thought was overall kinda annoying. Sure it opens up modern SE to do whatever the heck they want with the story at this point. But you know, I think I'll give them the benefit of doubt given how much I liked this game and thought quite a few of the new story bits were quite good.

The only thing I disliked was the big boss before Sephiroth. It was cool, sure. I just feel like a fight like this was brought in the game much too early. We have a boss that is apocalypse level in power here and the party is doing all this crazy stuff to bring it down and it's like, "Holy crap, we have so much more game to go. How are we going to top this?" By the time we get to the weapons, they are going to be small time.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fine. Hopefully this means we don't see the whispers again which I thought was overall kinda annoying. Sure it opens up modern SE to do whatever the heck they want with the story at this point. But you know, I think I'll give them the benefit of doubt given how much I liked this game and thought quite a few of the new story bits were quite good.

The only thing I disliked was the big boss before Sephiroth. It was cool, sure. I just feel like a fight like this was brought in the game much too early. We have a boss that is apocalypse level in power here and the party is doing all this crazy stuff to bring it down and it's like, "Holy crap, we have so much more game to go. How are we going to top this?" By the time we get to the weapons, they are going to be small time.
The game tries to explain this as the singularity allows for all kinds of wacky things. The rules of the world don't matter here.
It was still pretty over the top though.

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017

Look, I may be off base with my theory, but it astounds me that people think Jessie and Biggs survive in the timeline that we played through given the evidence.

If you watch the ending again, the meteor of light, or whatever we are going to call it, hits Midgar behind Zack, dust starts falling around him. This same dust is then shown falling in the lower sections of Midgar, and is shown in the scene where we see Biggs wake up and Jessie's gloves on the table. Clear evidence that them living is in the same alternate timeline as Zack.

The sequel could very well show that that timeline ends up with Seph winning very quickly because everyone is alive and that their deaths are just as necessary as the major one later in the story. We just don't know, and to say it is bad now without knowing the payoff is shortsighted. If it turns out that everyone lives because Square just wants happy endings, then we can all complain.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
The game tries to explain this as the singularity allows for all kinds of wacky things. The rules of the world don't matter here.
It was still pretty over the top though.

Which is cool and all. I can accept in this weird plane of existence there is no gravity, concrete has the durability of paper, ect. I actually dig these kinds of things where a group enters an area and everything isn't quite right. My concern lies with the group. They fought these things like they have done it their whole life. It's such a big leap where not too long ago in the game Cloud, Tifa, and Barret were looking at the airbuster like it was a big deal and a serious threat. Then we get to this point where we get this nice cool panning shot of this huge threat and Tifa is all like "We can take it." I'm thinking to myself, "Uhhh, are you sure?" It's a bit of whiplash.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
I loved the ending a lot, and I'm glad that they're making FF7R its own thing. The original is phenomenal, but in all honesty I'm so excited to see what they change and add to in FF7R-2 and beyond.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly a huge bummer. Not that I need or expect everyone to agree about whether it was a good ending, but the constant negativity by the people who didn't like it, and by implication that anyone who did like it has poor taste, just likes "Nomura KH trash" etc. It's mostly the same posters, and it's tiring. But I don't know of a better place to discuss games yet, so, alas.

Tbf, there are also tons of posters who liked it arguing in bad faith acting as if the people who are upset would have been upset by any change, and there are especially people who act like the poll results invalidate the valid criticisms for some reason.

People loudly voice their opinions and shut down ones contrary to that. That's the internet for you.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
People loudly voice their opinions and shut down ones contrary to that. That's the internet for you.

Definitely.

And on that note:
Day 10 of stating the ending sucks!
Why do they have to bring in a bunch of time travel/alternative realities/ timelines bullshit into it!?

I
DONT
GET
IT

that shit never ends well. Wtf man. Change stuff, do whatever you like Nomura, but don't convolute the story even further. That shit isn't gonna make the upcoming games any better.

It's not like Capcom brought up zombie ghosts as the reason for why Jill doesn't wear a skirt anymore.
Oh nooo zombie ghosts are blocking the entrance to the clocktower!

Sephiroth is time traveling and Zack is alive? It all sounds like fan fiction, which I guess explains why some people like it.

At least the o.g parts they decide to keep in the next game will probably still be awesome.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Just finished my playthrough with it. Had its good moments but also its dry/meh moments. I grew tired of that Cloud headache very fast. Also the amount of forced walking moments I didn't expect there to be as many.
Wish they stuck to the original script more 1:1. But I guess Square didn't want the original end boss of Midgar as the big end boss of their Part 1.

I liked that they fleshed out characters more in the Remake. But the original game is still better for me personally.

Oct 25, 2017
If I was a time travel ghost, I would go back and prevent The Spirits Within from ever happening and prevent Wada from moving Squaresoft so Nobuo Uematsu would not leave and make sure Sakaguchi stays in control.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't a fan. I'm okay with some stuff being different. I just wish it was different, not different because Sephiroth fucked with the timeline. I dunno why, but it's just lame to me. I didn't like the whispers and Sephiroth in this game at all.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
What if that ending was boring? a lot of people were wondering what they would do cause just leaving kind of falls flat cause there would be no major fight at the end.
Choose a different endpoint for part 1. Add a big boss fight for part 1. Don't change the whole reality and introduce nonsense.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

Sadly it's almost impossible to discuss and theorize about the game here.

The weird thing is that everyone I know and/or follow on social media loves the game and it's making the wildests discoveries so, that's pretty much where I'm at at the moment.

Maybe one day we'll be able to chat here as well but I'm not going to wait.

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I may be off base with my theory, but it astounds me that people think Jessie and Biggs survive in the timeline that we played through given the evidence.

If you watch the ending again, the meteor of light, or whatever we are going to call it, hits Midgar behind Zack, dust starts falling around him. This same dust is then shown falling in the lower sections of Midgar, and is shown in the scene where we see Biggs wake up and Jessie's gloves on the table. Clear evidence that them living is in the same alternate timeline as Zack.

The sequel could very well show that that timeline ends up with Seph winning very quickly because everyone is alive and that their deaths are just as necessary as the major one later in the story. We just don't know, and to say it is bad now without knowing the payoff is shortsighted. If it turns out that everyone lives because Square just wants happy endings, then we can all complain.

That's pretty much my problem, still. The whole "it creates another reality where everyone survives".

If the original FFVII was about time travel, then I could have accepted the whole Whispers thing in the remake. But one, if not THE biggest point of Final Fantasy VII is that people die, and they stay dead. It's about loss, loss of people, loved ones, and you cannot simply turn back time to bring them back. In the original, Jessie, Biggs and Wedge all die horrible, cruel deaths, Jessie in particular dying while thinking about all the damage her bombs made, and how many people they themselves killed.

In the original, not only do they clear Jessie of all responsibility regarding the bombings (Now Shinra did it themselves), but now she, alongside Biggs, Wedge, and ZACK of all people, survive either in the same reality or an alternate one. Final Fantasy VII Remake (ironically) lost the theme of "loss", and adopted a super cliche context of "defying fate" which many other RPG's have already done. Now all people can be saved by virtue of the main characters being able to see the future.

To me, the change of "loss, and the acceptance of loss" to "let's defy the deities and change our destinies" was terrible. They went from a deep, beautiful concept, to an overused one.

I reiterate, to me, the whole Whispers thing, the ending, the "defying fate" stuff, felt like something an angry fan wrote after playing the original and not liking that it was too tragic. But instead of writing something better, they instead went for the "and my favorite characters now all survive! Because we all love them, right? So they cannot die!".

I have accepted the ending. I don't like it, but I have accepted it. I DO want to know what follows in the next episode. But right now, while I wanted the Remake to be FVII but WAY better, I can't help but feel that overall, it was way inferior to the original. After I finished the Remake, I immediately began a new playthrough of the original, and each scene seems better there. In the Remake the sense of urgency is lost in many scenes (the attack on the pillar, for one). I was actually baffled that for each GREAT new addition to the story, they seem to make two mistakes.

But that's just my two cents. I want to make clear that I really enjoyed playing the Remake, but I feel it could have been so much more. Remember when everyone was speculating how much of Midgar we would now be able to explore...?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It was confusing but I liked it because of the possibilities. Multiverse, altered timelines, the Matrix, etc. Bring it on. At one point in the ending, I thought the characters were going to meet their other selves.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But that's just my two cents. I want to make clear that I really enjoyed playing the Remake, but I feel it could have been so much more. Remember when everyone was speculating how much of Midgar we would now be able to explore...?

But they gave us four brand new sewer dungeons, including a sewer dungeon in the sky! Truly making the best possible use of such an intriguing setting, no?

learning

Jan 4, 2019
Regardless of the implications, it's horribly written and shows absolutely zero restraint. To go from the motorcycle boss that actually endcaps Midgar to fighting Sephiroth to One Winged Angel while the meteor is in the background within 20 minutes, when he has no arc or real purpose in this game was just silly. It dilutes the future fights you'll actually have with him, the actual slow reveal of him with the shinra blood trail and the flashback showing how strong he was in combat.

But then there are the implications, that they broke destiny and can now forge their own path. When the thing this game actually nailed are the remade ff7 moments, and the worst part was the ghosts showing up. If they showed they're actually great at making the big ff7 moments again, the last direction Inwanted to see this go was forging an original path ahead. Especially when their attempt at doing so in the ending already shows them going full Kingdom Hearts level of crap.
I think this is the strongest argument for this being a bad path.

Also, I liked the FF VII ending. It was a happy ending.

Oct 25, 2017
But they gave us four brand new sewer dungeons, including a sewer dungeon in the sky! Truly making the best possible use of such an intriguing setting, no?

Don't remind me! The first time in the sewers after the Don Corneo scene I thought the map was way too big and linear. When I got out I thought "well, at least that's over and we don't have to enter the sewers again!".

Oh, how naive I was... I honestly can't believe they made us go into the sewers AGAIN.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Don't remind me! The first time in the sewers after the Don Corneo scene I thought the map was way too big and linear. When I got out I thought "well, at least that's over and we don't have to enter the sewers again!".

Oh, how naive I was... I honestly can't believe they made us go into the sewers AGAIN.

And then you fight the same boss again. Absolute filler.

Oct 25, 2017
And then you fight the same boss again. Absolute filler.

Jesus, THAT TOO.

"Here's Abzu again, but now he has annoying minions!".

Yeah, FUCK that whole part. For each new scene that was actually a nice addition to the story, the padding was terrible. I firmly believe that limiting this to Midgar, and make a 7-10 hours part into a 30+ hours game was a huge mistake.