• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you like Final Fantasy VII Remake's ending?

• I liked the ending and I've played the original FFVII

Votes: 1,410 59.2%
  • I did not like the ending and I've played the original FFVII

Votes: 651 27.3%
  • I liked the ending and I did not play the original FFVII

Votes: 238 10.0%
  • I did not like the ending and I did not play the original FFVII

Votes: 84 3.5%

• Total voters

Niaboc

Nov 2, 2017
I loved the remake except for the story changes. Totally unnecessary. Hugely disappointed.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
The Main Reason that Some/Most People not quite happy the ending/direction on the Remake because what Nomura did with Kingdom Hearts Series.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized, can't AI remake FF7 eventually? Redo the backgrounds and someone make higher polygon models for the 3D? Looking at Remako, it still looks very similar. It's probably the best we'll get though, until SE needs to actually hit the panic button on a real FF7 remake.

Thinking about it, this is a pretty good milking opportunity for them. Remake x2 on one very popular game.

Edit: Oops, turns out Remako is the AI neural network efforts version.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I like the changes IN THEORY - changing the future so what we're getting in the following games is a twist on the old story. I dig it.

The EXECUTION was pretty stupid. Making it Literal Forces of Destiny To Battle is just... dumb. Real dumb. I hear "Kingdom Hearts level stupid", but I've never played KH so I'll have to assume folks are making an accurate comparison to dumb anime bullshit. So overall, kinda mixed I guess on the ending.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with there being major story changes, i.e. CH4 was one of my favorite chapters and it was entirely new material. I also think that some level of meta-commentary about what it even means to remake FFVII in 2020 is somewhat welcome and can add an intriguing layer to the narrative.

However, I also found CH18 to be extremely messy and a bit incoherent at times. I don't think that it was ultimately necessary to create an in-universe story justification for changes to canon. Just make the changes. I also thought that a lot of the Sephiroth elements fell flat because this game did a very poor job of even explaining who he is or why we should care. I experienced the original in 97 but I can't imagine new players following the ending events.

That being said I didn't hate the ending (and I am amazed at the sheer moxie from the developers to do something so drastic) and I can kind of appreciate it on a conceptual level. I just found the execution wanting.

Still, I am excited for the potential surprises that part 2 may bring.

grizzmo

Oct 31, 2017
I have no problem with there being major story changes, i.e. CH4 was one of my favorite chapters and it was entirely new material. I also think that some level of meta-commentary about what it even means to remake FFVII in 2020 is somewhat welcome and can add an intriguing layer to the narrative.

However, I also found CH18 to be extremely messy and a bit incoherent at times. I don't think that it was ultimately necessary to create an in-universe story justification for changes to canon. Just make the changes. I also thought that a lot of the Sephiroth elements fell flat because this game did a very poor job of even explaining who he is or why we should care. I experienced the original in 97 but I can't imagine new players following the ending events.

That being said I didn't hate the ending (and I am amazed at the sheer moxie from the developers to do something so drastic) and I can kind of appreciate it on a conceptual level. I just found the execution wanting.

Still, I am excited for the potential surprises that part 2 may bring.

This is where I'm at. I enjoy the ideas they're putting forth, twisting what a remake can be, but how it all came together was...odd and mildly confusing (just rolled credits 30 minutes ago). Loved a lot of the new stuff they put in. All for the metanarative, but they really had to nail it. Not sure they did.

Also the Whisper boss before Sephiroth straight up looks like an endgame boss from Kingdom Hearts plus the DMCV big bad. Really disliked that fight, even if it was mostly spectacle.

Excited for what's next. Love to see more of the world and characters realized in this manner.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't vote in the poll because there wasn't an option that I fully agreed with, lol. Can there be a poll option for 'I don't know what to think?' or 'It's complicated!' It's been two weeks since I found out about the ending, and I still can't fully settle on my feelings on it.

I think the ending is an interesting thought experiment, and it could be compelling if done with nuance and restraint, but nuance and restraint has been hard to find in both Nomura and Toriyama's games for a lonnnnnnng time, along with Nojima's writing. FFVIIR was sorely lacking in subtlety in general, so it doesn't inspire confidence going forward. I personally haven't enjoyed a Nomura/Toriyama/Nojima/Kitase collaborative effort since FFX without a fuckton of caveats -- ditto to a Nomura/Nojima director/writer combination since KH1. I also literally just played a version of FFVIIR's goddamn premise with KH3, too, which again doesn't inspire confidence.

To elaborate further, I think the Whispers were a genuinely interesting concept in theory, even if I think the potential meta commentary is self-indulgent. In execution, though, between their character designs and their continual use in disrupting plot beats, they came off as silly, when they could have intriguing if used more sparingly. (The character design looking like ghostly wrinkled penises will never not be hilarious to me, either, especially when they look up at characters, leaned over characters, and the one came out of Barret's chest. They look better on the steelbook being smoky shapeless shadows.)

I think Sephiroth knowing the events of the original game is interesting, too, along with how that effects Aerith in turn, because as far as I can see, it's now to his benefit if she stays alive. It also seems like he's manipulated the party into destroying the Whispers also to his benefit, which now gives him more of a free reign. Again, I like these ideas in theory, but it's just the execution of it that was way over the top. We see a lot of Sephiroth in FFVIIR, but he and Jenova are less fleshed out than they were at the original game by this point, and that's considering we don't see Sephiroth in a physical form until the cargo ship in the original!

...Zack is a whole clusterfuck that I don't even know where to begin with. I again hope restraint is used regarding his character, but... hope springs eternal. (My crack theory is that if we do see Zack in an alternate timeline, he'll team up with Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie. I don't want this to happen, mind you.)

A best case scenario for me going forward would be sticking broadly to the plot beats of the original game like 90% of Part 1 did, with some remixes of plot beats or fleshing out the world and characters in new ways, like with Jessie. I can't imagine we'll see huge changes regarding the subplots of the original cast (eg. Barret, Red, Yuffie, Vincent, Cid), even if they're remixed and the placement is different. I'd be interested in having more time with Aerith, and potentially pushing her death back to the Northern Crater, but I'm still not sure if Sephiroth will want her dead or not.

Positively, I like that that FFVIIR being a stealth sequel gives a sanctity to the original game, and doesn't replace it. I think FFVIIR shines at characterization, but the original game has a far stronger and tightly plotted story, so there is still very much an incentive to revisit the original, along with the original game's soundtrack and pre-rendered backgrounds.

On the other hand, I am still disappointed about FFVIIR being a stealth sequel, too, because I think the FFVIIR team could have done a solid job remaking the original without excessive changes -- which they did do for the most part, until the final chapter. The combat is wonderful, the characters are beautifully realized (Aerith has her personality again!), the soundtrack is lovely, and I've really enjoyed the English localization. The game has had my favorite cutscene direction in an FF game since FFXII, and one of my favorite FF single-player English localizations since FFXII and WoFF. Whilst I have my issues with padding in certain chapters (I classify padding as long periods of time with no character/plot/world building development), the highs of some chapters and most of the boss fights are wonderful.

I ultimately also don't trust that FFVIIR has something to say outside of wooo, meta commentary about defying fan expectations! Much applause. For me, the themes of the original game were life and death, identity, and the environmentalism, and there ended up being a wonderful synergy between all of these. They're still kinda there, but defying fate ended up being the focus of Part 1, like with the FFXIII trilogy and the KH games. If Yoko Taro had been remaking FFVII in a similar stealth sequel direction, I would be genuinely terrified* of the result, but I trust and respect his track record, and how thoroughly he explores the themes he establishes for each game.
*The Taro approach to fan expectations would be: Okay, you want Aerith and Zack to live? Then you get to see everyone else die violently, traumatically, and horribly. Be careful what you wish for!

I'm hoping some post-release interviews and the Ultimania provide some clarity on the direction FFVIIR will take going forward, but they probably won't, and we'll be arguing about the Zack/Stamp chip bag for the next 3-4 years. Help.

TL;DR: I like the idea of the ending in theory, but I haven't liked the execution of it thus far, and am concerned about how the ideas will be implemented going forward based on the track record of those involved.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
As I said in the spoiler thread, I totally fucking loved it and all that it implies. I found it funny too that the end boss was essentially defeating the fans' demand of making the game an exact 1:1 remake of the original game. A lot of deep symbolism and Marvel shit and i'm all for it. We know and don't know at the same time which I think is such an interesting prospect in this game's context.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Need more poll options for people who are indecisive/indifferent about it. If they can reign in the craziness, I can see something fun happening. Big if though.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Just thinking about the Sephiroth and Zack stuff from the perspective of someone that doesn't have any prior knowledge of the FF7 universe is hilarious.
They basically designed it as a pseudo-sequel and decided they didn't have to explain shit.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Just thinking about the Sephiroth and Zack stuff from the perspective of someone that doesn't have any prior knowledge of the FF7 universe is hilarious.
They basically designed it as a pseudo-sequel and decided they didn't have to explain shit.
It's absolutely wild to me that anyone who has never played the original could possibly enjoy the ending when the final boss is a character they have 0 reason to care about and then the big reveal at the end is a character that they have no reason to care about and who, for all intents and purposes, comes out of nowhere.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I just realized, can't AI remake FF7 eventually? Redo the backgrounds and someone make higher polygon models for the 3D? Looking at Remako, it still looks very similar. It's probably the best we'll get though, until SE needs to actually hit the panic button on a real FF7 remake.

Thinking about it, this is a pretty good milking opportunity for them. Remake x2 on one very popular game.

Edit: Oops, turns out Remako is the AI neural network efforts version.
Higher Polygon character models already exist for FF7PC, Actually.

Here's some screenshots of me playing the game with Remako + Reunion on my CRT, as an example of what it looks like modded with all the fancy bells and whistles:

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Please don't give this whispers device and fights more credit than it deserves. Of course it's meta. Does not mean it's well executed just because of that.

Just to reiterate my position, I have little problem with deviation in plot events or even completely different plotlines. As long as the game has internal coherence and is also, you know... not completely dumb.

Tangent: When did we start with the reductio ad anime to describe stupid concepts? My anime references are kids shows (which are of course, kids shows) and some actually good stuff plot wise.
i wouldn't associate the whispers with: Anime bullshit. Makes sense if you're talking about Cloud jumping on flying buildings though

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Please don't give this whispers device and fights more credit than it deserves. Of course it's meta. Does not mean it's well executed just because of that.

Just to reiterate my position, I have little problem with deviation in plot events or even completely different plotlines. As long as the game has internal coherence and is also, you know... not completely dumb.

Tangent: When did we start with the reductio ad anime to describe stupid concepts? My anime references are kids shows (which are of course, kids shows) and some actually good stuff plot wise.
i wouldn't associate the whispers with: Anime bullshit. Makes sense if you're talking about Cloud jumping on flying buildings though
I think most people are associating the last hour, including the whispers, with KH. Which a lot of people see as contrived anime nonsense.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I don't think anyone is claiming the whispers are well executed, nor the last fights lol. Just that what they are going for isn't the worst thing and does have some depth and merit.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I dont mind changing story stuff, but i dont like going KH 🤷‍♂️

This gives them excuse to go in a *very* different path from now on.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Higher Polygon character models already exist for FF7PC, Actually.

Here's some screenshots of me playing the game with Remako + Reunion on my CRT, as an example of what it looks like modded with all the fancy bells and whistles:

I think I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend. I bet it looks amazing on a CRT.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I don't think anyone is claiming the whispers are well executed, nor the last fights lol. Just that what they are going for isn't the worst thing and does have some depth and merit.

I'll drink to that.
Give me exploration of what ifs that make sense within motivations of characters.
Remove KH dialogues about light, dark, fate or whatever

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Surprising that the "like it" camp has so many votes, I kind of expected the opposite based on the amount of posts I saw that were negative about it. Or more evenly split at least.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I initially beat it, I couldn't believe what Nomura & Company did. Up until the last hour or two of the game, I felt they had accomplished the extraordinarily difficult task of presenting a faithful remake while also fleshing out Midgar and its characters. When that last portion hit though, I was floored and felt a number of different emotions. I was angry, sad, anxious, but also intrigued.

It's been about a week and it's interesting...the more I think about it, the more I'm actually excited they're going in this direction. OG FF7 will always be there for me. That story is written and will forever be etched into gaming history. This is a chance to create something new and keep us all in surprise on the future of the FF7 story (talk about a statement that would have sounded crazy just a month ago).

Don't get me wrong though, the fact that they're actually taking this chance is fucking bonkers and absolutely ballsy. With that being said though, I (and I'm assuming many other FF7 fans) am going to hold Nomura, Kitase, and the rest of the leadership team to an extremely high standard. You don't make a change like this lackadaisically. This could backfire drastically if this isn't planned/executed appropriately.

I'm both super excited and goddamn anxious to see how they handle it. It's going to be a helluva ride.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I was kind salty at the very end when Zack was alive. Like I wouldn't have minded if they killed Fate and carried on as is. But this whole multiple time line/ time travel thing just reeks of the bad parts of KH.

We'll see how the sequel goes. I loved it up to the very last couple of minutes. I've calmed down tho since I beat it yesterday but I just hope it still stays true to the original while taking liberties here and there.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have much of a pony in this race, I chose not to buy the remake from the word go and I'm sticking to that, but I am honestly surprised so many people are on board with this. To me it just represents Nomura being let loose on another IP to do whatever the hell he wants.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Hated what they did. I don't think anything is too sacred to reinvent but execution matters.

A better story teller might be able to pull off the concept that they're going for but this aint it.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
1) the bag says "ORIGINAL" on it, since Zack is the original that Cloud is imitating.
Z3yIAi3.png

Crisis Core:

In Crisis Core there's a time skip between him fighting the massive horde and him getting killed by the 3 shinra troops. The new scenes in Remake go there.

The original:

Zack fights some shinra troops off screen, then runs back to get Cloud. As he's carrying Cloud he gets ambushed by 3 more troops and they kill him.

So far nothing of Remake has really contradicted Zack's death.

The ps1 video gives me hope. If it's a red herring where they show him walking cloud to midgar only to be shown that he was gunned down soon after in the sequel then I'll be fine.

I just want the whispers to be gone and no multiple dimensions nonsense.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The ps1 video gives me hope. If it's a red herring where they show him walking cloud to midgar only to be shown that he was gunned down soon after in the sequel then I'll be fine.

I just want the whispers to be gone and no multiple dimensions nonsense.

If you see them loading the gun, they are going to fire it. I don't think the Whispers will be back cause fate has already changed.

Jun 26, 2018
Surprising that the "like it" camp has so many votes, I kind of expected the opposite based on the amount of posts I saw that were negative about it. Or more evenly split at least.

I think people with negative opinions tend to seem the loudest on forums...

Also I gotta admit, seeing the negativity on here makes me want to avoid everything to do with FF7 on era. I liked the game, and I don't feel like having to defend why I like it.

ByteSizeRick

Oct 27, 2017
If I had one modicum of faith in Modern SE to go "off book" than the ending might not seem like such a disastrous choice. Instead it feels very much like the Game of Thrones showrunners running out of material by the time you hit the back half of Chapter 18. If that's the quality of what we are in store for, I'd prefer they didn't use the skin suits and set dressing of their most popular game to sell us Kingdom Hearts 4.

Either way, if you like it, if you are excited about it, good for you. It's clear they don't intend to give us a Remake of FFVII, and that's a real shame for at least some of us.

The respondents are folks that bought the game in the last week and had the desire to have already beaten it. Effectively many of FFVII's biggest fans and the ones most likely to tilt towards the project. A 30%+ rejection rate of the KH "Destiny's Design" Ending from that crew is a disaster.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
Nearing a 1000 votes, so we've got a pretty decent sample size here. Looking at a 65/35 ratio between those who liked it and those who didn't like it.

When I initially beat it, I couldn't believe what Nomura & Company did. Up until the last hour or two of the game, I felt they had accomplished the extraordinarily difficult task of presenting a faithful remake while also fleshing out Midgar and its characters. When that last portion hit though, I was floored and felt a number of different emotions. I was angry, sad, anxious, but also intrigued.

It's been about a week and it's interesting...the more I think about it, the more I'm actually excited they're going in this direction. OG FF7 will always be there for me. That story is written and will forever be etched into gaming history. This is a chance to create something new and keep us all in surprise on the future of the FF7 story (talk about a statement that would have sounded crazy just a month ago).

Don't get me wrong though, the fact that they're actually taking this chance is fucking bonkers and absolutely ballsy. With that being said though, I (and I'm assuming many other FF7 fans) am going to hold Nomura, Kitase, and the rest of the leadership team to an extremely high standard. You don't make a change like this lackadaisically. This could backfire drastically if this isn't planned/executed appropriately.

I'm both super excited and goddamn anxious to see how they handle it. It's going to be a helluva ride.

I'm glad to hear you warmed up to it. I really hope a lot of the people who hate it or are angry, will at least become more open minded as the days go by.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the game a couple hours ago so it's still fresh, but I didn't love the ending. I didn't hate it, either. It just felt indulgent and unnecessary. I was absolutely loving the game until the final stretch, changes and all. I didn't need a complete nosedive into Kingdom Hearts territory to tell me this project won't be exactly the same as the original. They didn't need to sully a relatively grounded portion of the original story with ridiculous bullshit. All the man-hours put into the unnecessary justification feels like wasted effort, and perfectly good scenes were ruined by the inclusion of mysterious ghosts that amounted to nothing of consequence.

I'm okay with the story taking its own path, but if the execution of the ending is an indication of where they want to go, maybe it'd be better to stick to the time-tested plotline.

Last edited:

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Right now i'm worried about part 2 because i don't trust Nomura to tell a well put together story without him injecting what everyone is now calling Kingdom Hearts BS. I loved the Remake up until you went through the portal and it started to fall apart for me. I loved the other additions and the Whispers weren't a bad idea in theory but i felt were poorly executed in the end. I'm more than happy for the Games to make changes even major ones but i don't want kingdom hearts level of writing and story telling in final fantasy and this is coming from a kingdom hearts fan.

I'm not upset or mad with the ending it just makes me worried for the Future games.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the ending was truly horrendous and the fact that people liked it is blowing my mind. It felt like it was a different game entirely. The writing took an extremely noticeable drop in quality and the characters started spouting off some of the most inane dialogue. It was so jarring to me becuase the rest of the game is nothing like that. It's a fantastic remake with really well written and relatively grounded characterization, but The Whispers were easily the most poorly handled plotline throughout the whole game.

The game was doing well with changes here and there that felt subtle. The ending threw subtlety in the trash and went for the most grating bullshit imaginable.

It feels like we are being robbed of a full remake of the rest of the game, becuase the doors are wide open to be something completely different. This isn't a remake anymore. All I wanted was to see the whole game in the same love, care, and detail as midgar. Now I have no faith. Aerith is going to live and the entire point of the original plot will be lost.

Last edited:

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
I like it, conditionally. As I've said before, if the games continue through the same overall journey across the world, and hit similar narrative notes, then I don't mind — and am indeed excited about — new, sequel-esque content.

Some of the dialogue was jarring. I suspect that will continue as a hallmark of much of the new material injected into this subseries. If that's the price I have to pay in order to get a bunch of awesome new characterization in familiar locales then so be it.

(And this isn't some "bargaining phase" commentary, either; I've felt this way since the credits rolled. Hasn't changed.)

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
The respondents are folks that bought the game in the last week and had the desire to have already beaten it. Effectively many of FFVII's biggest fans and the ones most likely to tilt towards the project. A 30%+ rejection rate of the KH "Destiny's Design" Ending from that crew is a disaster.

You could spin this the opposite way as well. FFVII's biggest fans are the most likely to get upset about plot changes.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
It felt like Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children had a baby. Can't even tell if I liked it or not.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
All I wanted was to see the whole game in the same love, care, and detail as midgar. Now I have no faith.
I'm definitely feeling this. The nearly 50 hours I invested before the ending set an expectation for the future that I was incredibly excited about, but now I'm afraid that the next installment is gonna be full of Nomura wankery. I hope I'm wrong.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
So, is Sephiroth's offer to Cloud at the end that they basically wipe the slate clean for this timeline since neither party truly got what they wanted? In the original timeline, Sephiroth died, but it is implied that the future with Red XIII was also bad as well: planet dying slowly due to mako overuse probably.

Basically, he seems like he wants Cloud to agree to a "redo" so both sides can fight for their better outcome: Sephiroth gets to destroy the planet or Avalanche gets to save it.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I wish they would've called it FF7: Reimagined, FF7-2 or FF7xKH.0 or something similar so I could've ignored it like I've ignored every other bit of compilation media.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm amazed, completely amazed. This is far more exciting to me, I'm completely and utterly blown away

It's nice after 20 years with the same material to genuinely not know what to expect.

...whether they can deliver something satisfying remains up in the air, but it's sorta refreshing to know that it'll be, indeed, unexpected and not just the "wait for Part 2!".

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
I found the last chapter just extremely...exhausting. It all just feels so unnecessary. The transition from this wacky story about fighting for what you believe in to this metaphysical garbage nonsense about Destiny and Fate was so badly done. Feels kinda like a lack of faith in the original's themes and characters. I just want a story and not some big awkward meta reflection about a story.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of the whispers/arbiters of fate. It's cheap to temporarily change the known story for some twists and turns, just to have the whispers swoop in to reverse everything again. Which can happen at any time or not at all.
How do you call that trope again when the protagonists of a story are in a pickle that they aren't able to get themselves out of, at least not in any way that would make sense, and then suddenly some unforeseen, overpowered outside force saves them? The game does this several times and it's really bad writing.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
How do you call that trope again when the protagonists of a story are in a pickle that they aren't able to get themselves out of, at least not in any way that would make sense, and then suddenly some unforeseen, overpowered outside force saves them? The game does this several times and it's really bad writing.

Deus ex machina

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I noticed in the spoiler thread that it was a lot of the same people over and over again. Based on the Discord servers I'm in unrelated to FF just discussing the ending, I was expecting this.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think the ending is okay, I mean it's fine. But I think the premise (as it's presented now, anyways) from here on is woefully boring. But that doesn't mean they couldn't execute something amazing out of it...just have to wait for the follow-up to fully judge.