• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Put the image in your post, then click it to scale it. Users who click the image in the post after will have bring up an enlarged version.

Example using the same image link:

Unedited size:
ireeoE8.jpg

Edited size:
ireeoE8.jpg

This messages was brought to you by someone who is tired of scrolling through full or double page size images.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

On the same wavelength, if you add the letter "L" to the end of any imgur image URL it'll present a smaller version of it (the "large" size). Pretty nifty for giant screenshots where you dont care about quality.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I learned this from someone else a couple of months ago. Life changing.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I learned the last time someone made a topic like this. It's definitely useful.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Yes I know! It's honestly a very nice feature!

Saves me a lot of times going in to photoshop.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Stumbled into figuring that out a few months ago.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
I usually just end up quoting images so they're not so big, this is something I've wanted to know for awhile ty OP

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't aware of that, and quoting your OP with the fancy text editor turned off shows me that it's the width attribute of the [IMG] tag that sets it. So
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/ireeoE8.jpg[/IMG] vs. [IMG width="461px"]https://i.imgur.com/ireeoE8.jpg[/IMG].

That's a little annoying, considering the BB code help file doesn't list the width attribute:
www.resetera.com

BB codes

The list of BB codes you can use to spice up the look of your messages. This page shows a list of all BB codes that are available.

Does anyone know any other secret BB code tags and/or attributes?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

On the same wavelength, if you add the letter "L" to the end of any imgur image URL it'll present a smaller version of it (the "large" size). Pretty nifty for giant screenshots where you dont care about quality.
Yeah, this can be really useful whenever an image really should be smaller (like when quoting it).

For anyone else who's just learning about this, the full set of Imgur modifiers is:

JxtFEkK.png

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
I'm very sure I've known that for ages now lol
Would be kinda surprised to see anyone who doesn't TBH

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
You'd be surprised how often people post screen filling monsters of memes and such
Really? And don't even realize how simple it is to resize the images despite the logical deduction that most people on the site would know of it by now?
Might be a different story when talking about Game Screenshots and images taken with Photo Mode however.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck. How did I skip this info all these years I've been on Era.

Thanks Op.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
For those who've never used it, just specify one dimension (width or height) in pixels (you don't need to specify "px" at the end), and the other scales to match. Image width won't exceed the displayed width of the post area. (Setting a comically high pixel width won't mess with the layout.)

Width 500px:

ireeoE8.jpg

Height 250px:

ireeoE8.jpg

I did find out you can specify width in % as well, though remember your image scales with the size of the browser window/post area, regardless of platform. (And doing height% doesn't really work.)

Width 50%:

ireeoE8.jpg

If you've pasted the bbcode into the editor from elsewhere (ex. Imgur), you can click the "Toggle BB Code" button twice and your image will load within the edit box. From there you can click to size the image.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Put the image in your post, then click it to scale it. Users who click the image in the post after will have bring up an enlarged version.
Example using the same image link:

Unedited size:
ireeoE8.jpg

Edited size:
ireeoE8.jpg

This messages was brought to you by someone who is tired of scrolling through full or double page size images.
You do have to it's easier to use the GUI for this, but that's why I switched to using it a long time ago.

Worse than posting large images is when people put them in quotes.
Oh, and using media embeds to embed an imgur gallery for a single picture.
Maybe one of these days Era might fix the gallery view so it doesn't display 1/1 when you click on an image, and actually lets you cycle through images on the page.

Also: use CROSS tags rather than ISPOILER tags because that shit can be invisible if it's a small amount of text.

For those who've never used it, just specify one dimension (width or height) in pixels (you don't need to specify "px" at the end), and the other scales to match.

Width 500px:

ireeoE8.jpg

Height 250px:

ireeoE8.jpg

I did find out you can specify width in % as well, though remember your image scales with the size of the browser window/post area, regardless of platform. (And doing height% doesn't really work.)

Width 50%:

ireeoE8.jpg

If you've pasted the bbcode into the editor from elsewhere (ex. Imgur), click Preview and then click on the image in the editor.
Huh, the last time I tried it (via the GUI) specifying image height did not work correctly at all.
I wonder if it's been fixed or if it only works via BBCode.
I've been sticking to the GUI recently though, as I think it's a lot easier for other people to parse when quoting a post.

Yeah, this can be really useful whenever an image really should be smaller (like when quoting it).
For anyone else who's just learning about this, the full set of Imgur modifiers is:
JxtFEkK.png
Post the full-res image, don't redirect people to another site to view the full thing.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
This makes me so happy. I always throw my images in quotes and I feel like people are less likely to look at them when I format my post that way.

Oct 27, 2017
Really? And don't even realize how simple it is to resize the images despite the logical deduction that most people on the site would know of it by now?
Might be a different story when talking about Game Screenshots and images taken with Photo Mode however.
Many of us didn't know as you can see by reading the thread. Hell, I have no idea how to post an image at all while on mobile (and really don't care to learn).
What I'm trying to say is, get the fuck off my lawn. ;)

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
are you fucking kidding me right now

This should be stickied on every subforum.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Wat

You never clicked on an image in edit mode?
Sure (usually to spoiler-tag/remove nsfw content etc.), but since no one ever uses the actual width parameter, I never saw it.

Edit: also, you need to toggle off the BBcode toolbar to see the width code, otherwise you still get the resized image in WYSIWYG mode.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped posting some images because I didn't know this. Used to self-quote my own images but that stopped working at some point.