• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
It is absolutely transformative. When I upgraded from 5.1 to 7.1 I thought it would be no big difference. Just two more boxes. But once I tried Horizon Zera Dawn, fighting against a T-Rex, it felt like a different combat system. Rocks were flying and crashing around, lasers, explosions, the earth cracking. The entire fight had a completely new level of presence for me. I could pinpoint where the flying debris was landing left and right. I wasn't expecting such a big difference from 5.1 to 7.1 (especially since I don't think that Horizon supports 7.1, it must be my AVR doing some cool upmixing or whatever). So yeah, transformative is the right word. I can't imagine how amazing an Atmos setup must be with speakers above you. Imagine playing Hitman and listening to the footsteps of people a room above you (Imagine a P.T. horror game by Kojima).

That's what I love about games, they much much better use of multiple channels than movies. In movies, it's mostly in some cool action scenes but in games, all channels are equally engaged since they work according to the camera. Throw a rock in Control, quickly turn around to kill another enemy and hear the rock kill an enemy behind you, I live for this shit.

Wow, you're really selling it there. I wonder how this headphones based 3d sound on next gen consoles is going to compare to surround sound speakers.

I presume there's no good solution for small rooms?

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I went with a 5.1 sound bar (not simulated 5.1, actual rear speakers + a sub) and I think it was worth it. It always sticks out when I play somewhere with just stereo speakers now.

That said, with the PS5 pushing for better 3D audio, I'll probably switch to using headphones more often next-gen. If it universally works as well as those HRTF demos then it could be a game changer.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I've been running 5.1 to 7.1 for roughly 20 years. It's great for movies and so-so for games.

Tbh I'm tired of all the cables and hardware.

I'm thinking about selling it all and going with a high end atmos sound bar like the Sennheiser AMBEO.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
5.1? Yes.

5.1.2? Nope.

That being said. I'm getting old, lazy, and now considering a soundbar since I use headphones for anything serious.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Ask me again after PS5 integrates 3d audio for home theaters. As of now good headphones are where the investment should be.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
My best gaming audio experiences have always been with headphones. I find myself making adjustments to avoid abrasive sounds or keep from annoying other people with surround systems. Surround systems are really nice for movies. They're generally around 2 hours long and people watch them together. Playing a game at high volume for hours on end will make the people you live with hate you.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
For movies, absolutely. For gaming... I think headphones are a good bet. Some games really make good use of the surround sound (the doom 2016 soundtrack is wild in 5.1), but it's largely not as well utilized as in film/tv yet.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
For gaming I enjoy headphones a lot more... For movies I prefer a 5.1 sound system.

May 24, 2019
I'm still using the speakers from this 1997 or 1998 Kenwood stereo, now hooked up to a modern receiver. I think they sound great.
gaU2ix2.jpg

The only thing that bothers me about using a 2.0 setup is when dialogue gets drowned out in movies, but I've never been annoyed enough to upgrade.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Alot of it also about speaker placement and where exactly your sitting it's not always easy to work it out but if you can get slap bang in the middle of the room with every speaker at ear level it's amazing some of the best iv experienced this gen is shadow of the tomb raider and resident evil 2

I would love to use headphones but for some strange reason I always get headaches and can't cope with it being directly Fed into my ear sucks for me but what can ya do

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
MĂ©xico
And how many game utilizes that? You could just put a nice set of headphones and have all the positional sounds and crispness without ATMOS.

Several games, at least on One X and One S, and Series X will support Atmos day 1.

Sorry but not, headphones is not the same at all as a 7.2.4

EDIT:

- Assassin's Creed Origins
- Borderlands 3
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare
- Call of Duty: Warzone
- Crackdown 3
- Final Fantasy XV
- For Honor
- Forza Horizon 4
- Gears of War 4
- Gears 5
- Metro Exodus
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Resident Evil 2
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- Super Lucky's Tale
- The Division 2

Last edited:

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
I hate wearing headphones, so yes, my atmos setup works great. I'm really hoping Sony's new audio tech is as good as they tout it.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised at how many people are saying that movies are better than games at surround sound. I feel like it's clearly the opposite, as movies are, as far as I can tell, nearly universally front channel experiences with the surround speakers used to sprinkle some ambiance on top, with maybe the occasional gimmicky effect. Anything important to the story though always comes out through the front.

A well made game, on the other hand, will make full and equal use of every speaker. It's much more immersive. It's of course expensive and will take up space. And if you live in an apartment, your neighbors might end up hating you. I love my setup, though. It's nothing special but it adds a lot to the experience.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
i dont like wearing headphones. a decent set of speakers is a huge difference over something like tv built speakers imo. at a minimum i would buy some kind of speaker set with a sub, you dont necessarily have to go super high end.

i had a 7.1 system, but just replaced it with a 5.1.2. I could not place speakers for a 7.1 system properly in my room so 5.1.2 made more sense.

Jan 21, 2019
Wow, you're really selling it there. I wonder how this headphones based 3d sound on next gen consoles is going to compare to surround sound speakers.

I presume there's no good solution for small rooms?
My whole setup is inside 16cm². Admittedly, it is chaotic and not perfect, basically no harmony in the placement of the speakers, an audiophile would probably burn the room down but I still love it and would never go back, even though it makes moving in my room a pain. But look at it this way, is discomfort in one area not worth improving the experiences that you love?

I cannot overstate how much better dedicated speakers are. 3D audio can be amazing on headphones: Listen to this if you want to have sneak peak into what is possible with 3D audio on regular headphones (you need headphones for this video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA
I have expensive noise-canceling headphones and they are not at all comparable to real speakers. I wonder if open back headphones are better for games. But I definitely cannot agree with anyone here who claims that 5.1 is not that impressive for games or that headphones are better. I just wonder what games people play. AAA (Uncharted, God of War, Gears 5...) stuff is definitely better on speakers, CSGO and Rocket League, yeah maybe those are fine with headphones.

Last edited:

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Headphones are fine, but they would never be my go to. The goal is always a full 5.1 to Atmos setup. Great for movies and games. Blu-ray's with lossless audio sound fantastic. Games have really good sound separation for the channels.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I bought a refurbished 7.1 home theater in a box (Onkyo HT-S5400) back in May 2012 for around ~$206 USD after tax. One of the best purchases I've ever made. After experiencing surround sound, I can't ever go back to playing on headphones except on PC; I have not looked into getting a discrete multi-channel sound system for my PC yet. Also, I've not experienced virtual surround on headphones so I don't know what I'm missing out on (if applicable).

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm really surprised at how many people are saying that movies are better than games at surround sound. I feel like it's clearly the opposite, as movies are, as far as I can tell, nearly universally front channel experiences with the surround speakers used to sprinkle some ambiance on top, with maybe the occasional gimmicky effect. Anything important to the story though always comes out through the front.

A well made game, on the other hand, will make full and equal use of every speaker. It's much more immersive. It's of course expensive and will take up space. And if you live in an apartment, your neighbors might end up hating you. I love my setup, though. It's nothing special but it adds a lot to the experience.

It's more that a film's sound mixing, sound design and just overall quality on average is far superior to that of a video game. Listen to any half decent Atmos/DTS:X mix on a blu ray and the quality to what you hear in a game is night and day. In a game you have camera control which is why there's more "surround" action going on. If all you want to do is pinpoint exactly where something or someone is then again you're probably better off buying a pair of high end headphones with good soundstage/imaging for that purpose.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
I have a 7.1 setup but still usually prefer headphones for gaming. There's just a directness and precision to having the sound fed directly into your ear that I really miss when not using headphones, and which is way more important for games than other media.

I do enjoy my setup for movies though (TV shows rarely make good use of it).

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
No probably not. It's too loud to be used very often. Not being able to use it at night or whenever I want was the death blow. I bought better and better headphones instead. I can use them whenever I like and on any device.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Absolutely

I will never go back to using tv speakers or headsets again

This applies to tv show/movie watching, streaming, console gaming and PC gaming

I found tv speakers to be too low and not as defined and headsets are so annoying to me - I want to be fully immersed - gear sounds coming from my left and right along in the front

Planning to go 7.1 in the future

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I have a 7.1 setup but still usually prefer headphones for gaming. There's just a directness and precision to having the sound fed directly into your ear that I really miss when not using headphones, and which is way more important for games than other media.

I do enjoy my setup for movies though (TV shows rarely make good use of it).

Headphones are just a more intimate experience that no speaker setup can ever replicate which is more immersive in a way. It's a preference thing even though high end speakers are technically better at everything besides detail retrieval.

Oct 25, 2017
Love my Atmosphere setup for single player experiences. I only use headphones for competitive play mainly because my teammates cannot hear me well over my booming system.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Positional audio is huge for my gaming experience in all kinds of ways you wouldn't expect. Hell, even in Animal Crossing it helps me locate a balloon.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
5.1 surround sound here.

I have felt not great need for 7.1 or atmos 11.1 speakers. Nor a need for a second subwoofer.

But I would never go back to 2.1 or headphones.

Headphones are a great solution for people who can't use 5.1+ for one reason or another (space, noise, cost, etc).

OP
OP
Avenger

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Absolutely worth it. I'm kinda curious what kind of 5.1/7.1 setups people are using to say it isn't. I just could not deal without a proper surround sound setup after all these years. The low level frequency just will never stack up on a set of headphones.

I wasn't expecting such a mix of reactions to be honest. Maybe i'll give a try and see

Punxsutawney

Apr 18, 2018
I was gifted an entry level 5.1 setup from my uncle and aunt. It was absolutely fantastic for my Last of Us 2 experience, and made RE2 so much scarier.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
For like the vast majority of people headphones are the better choice.

Not only do you get way better sound quality for each $ spent, they take away variables like speaker placement, room geometry and a lot of factors that can make (and regularly do) even good speaker setups sound suboptimal.

Personally at some point I switched from 5.1 to stereo headphones and will never look back.

Last edited:

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
Absolutely!

Been playing with 5.1 since the PS2 days. Can't live without em. Currently both my PC & PS4 are connected to their own 5.1 speaker system.

Not a fan of headphones personally (ear problems).

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Better for movies. But next gen has promised better sound design, so I think it would be worth it. I don't like headphones as they get uncomfortable and totally block everything else out around me.

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
For like the large majority of people headphones are the better choice.

Not only do you get way better sound quality for each $ spent, they take away variables like speaker placement, room geometry and a lot of factors that can make even good speaker setups sound suboptimal.

Personally at some point I switched from 5.1 to stereo headphones and will never look back.
This is my experience too, I would have been arguing the other way 5 years ago, I never thought headphones could possibly come close to a true surround sound setup until I bought a nice pair with a DAC+AMP to power them, compared to a phyical surround sound setup I can hear so much more detail, tiny little sounds that I would never have heard without headphones and it's a huge advantage if you play any competitive games. I can also turn headphones way louder than a set of speakers, even if I didn't have to consider neighbors I still have to be able to communicate with team mates who don't want to hear my game audio blasting down the mic.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I have both the Sony golds and a atmos surround system and I prefer the atmos surround. I like the sound to literally fill the room, including when height speakers get engaged. There are some really amazing results with Atmos games on Xbox, particularly Gears 5 which has a ton of height speakers engagement. My head eventually starts hurting after about an hour of wearing the headphones as well.

Headphones are terrific though when me and my wife have different things going like when she needs to work while I'm playing a game. In normal conditions though ill stick to my sound system. Not to mention how amazing atmos movies sound....

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
Better for movies. But next gen has promised better sound design, so I think it would be worth it. I don't like headphones as they get uncomfortable and totally block everything else out around me.
Comfortable, open back headphones will solve both those problems you have with using headphones.

Sep 20, 2020
I have a 5.1 setup in my basement.

Sadly no room in my house will adequately accommodate a 7.1 let alone anything greater.

I love it with movies. Makes a world of a difference but I must admit, I can totally take it or leave it when it comes to gaming. Maybe I'm weird with that.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I have an ear disability so can't use headphones. I have a 5.1 setup but honestly most games make poor use of it. And now I have to find a way of making my surround setup work with the new consoles when my receiver doesn't do 4K or HDR.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, I had a 5.1 set for pc but I barely noticed it. I wanted to clean my desk area of wires and got a nice pair of 2.0 edifyer instead.

For the few games it counts I just use headphones.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I love headphones with gaming. Even though I have 7.1 Atmos.

Any suggestions for the PS5/SeX setup? I am hoping for wireless that works with both!

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Surround setup is great for movies and singleplayers I play with a gamepad. But for something a bit more competitive good headphones are still a lot more accurate.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very much so, I love my 5.1 system. I have very good headphones and there's something with my ears that makes 3D audio sound like shit, even when the implementation is praised like Half Life Alyx, so hopefully Cerny's ear photos can solve that for me. But until then, the 5.1 speakers are brilliant when the sound mix is good.