• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Since ero games hardly get any coverage or reviews by the mainstream gaming press, I guess that counts.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
EpzdSKjXcAARXQ8

Liked it back when it was new. Curious how I feel about it now.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
White knight chronicles 1 and 2 not great games by any means but it's such a fun super sentai game set in the middle ages. 2 was great because your player character got their own henshin too. Plus the multiplayer was dope and basically dark cloud on steroids.
White_Knight_Chronicles.jpg

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Star Fox Zero, Metroid Other M, and Bioshock Infinite, 3 games that era loves to hate.

The first 2, i undertand all the flaws they have, and they will be better games without them. Bioshock Infinite? I think is a masterpiece and better than the first game. Love nearly everything about it.
And the same happen with Cyberpunk, though im sure the perception of that game is gonna change a lot when its released as better next gen versions, fixed some stuff with patched and added a ton of stuff for free in the future.

Oh I also forgot, Agents of Mayhem. I had tons of fun with it, even with flaws that coudl gave been ironed with a never gonna be released AoM 2.

EDIT
Seems you were asking for badly reviewed. I dont know, I think its worse for some of this games when more than half the internet hates them, instead of some reviews being bad, middleling or even good.

Last edited:

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Not sure about bad reception, because I'm sure the majority of fans enjoy the games seeing as they keep getting made, but my answer is the Sword Art Online games.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 2?
I mean, I don't know if it had "bad reviews" (I dont care about gaming reviews or gaming journalism) but I know that it's widely hated by a lot of people.
I've played soooo many hours every Souls game and my most played it's Dark Souls 2 hahaha. The coop it's really fun and for me its a great game.
And to be completely honest, Dark Souls 2 it's better than the 90% of every game available right now on every platform.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed playing through Anthem with my brother and friend. Really disappointed it didn't turn out better, so that it got post launch support. But, oh well, I enjoyed it.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Yeah, Dead Space 3 is dope if you're not looking for a horror game and you ignore that 1 and 2 came before it. Playing coop is also necessary for enjoyment.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Quite a few...

The Order 1886
Anthem
Crackdown 3

I fully acknowledge The Order's shortcomings, but I was into the alternate Victorian London Ready at Dawn created, and the combat felt good. Anthem's issues for me was just lack of content. I genuinely think the combat is the most fun I had in a looter shooter. Crackdown 3 was just mindless fun, had a blast.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
I effin loved Monster Rancher EVO back in the day. I still own it but I know if I played it now I'll most likely hate it.

also I replayed the heck out of Magna Carta 2 and it was probably my fav 360 title. I moved onto play station after my 360 broke so It's been like 8 years since I've touched the game.

Black_Trace

May 31, 2019
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2. Loved the art style, combat, and Metroid-like exploration. I even enjoyed the over the top story at times.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Rise sons of Rome
The order 1886
days gone
drive club
this 4 games I think didn't receive good reception but I really like them...
specially rise!!! Finished 3 times...

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Shadow the Hedgehog is a crap game but I had a ton of fun playing it when I played it as a younger teen back when it came out. Enjoyed it enough to get the "true" ending

the one that just spits in the face of its supposed theme of moral choice mattering and retcons the other 400 or so paths you can choose to complete the game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I still listen to some of the catchy buttrock music.

I really liked Sonic Unleashed too (at least the HD versions anyway) and thought it was quite good if rough around the edges. I liked the werehog stages as a concept to break up the hyperspeed platforming for something more measured and thoughtful but the combat sort of dragged it down and was more annoying than fun.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Guilty pleasure is such a toxic concept. Enjoy what you want as long as you're not hurting people.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Resistance 2 was a good game anyway. It reviewed really well and has an 87 metacritic.

Oh huh, didn't realise that. For some reason I thought it was received very averagely.

The biggest problem with Resistance 2 was that they forced you to only carry two guns and threw out the gun wheel from the first. Also, I don't believe they kept the 20v20 multiplayer either. Not to mention the story went just kinda bonkers and took the mysteries of the first game into a poor direction in my opinion.

Actually it did, it even had a 32v32 multiplayer!

And I kinda liked the bonkers direction and felt that it did keep some mystery.

Oct 25, 2017
It felt like the response was super tepid from critics and players but I really liked the Thief reboot. Just a real fun game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue 3 has got a bad rep in the community, for being low budget, a finacial flop, and not concluding the overall story (which they said it wouldn't.. straight away)

It has a number of flaws to do with its more streamlined combat and pacing. That said I still enjoyed it for the intricate world, overall atmosphere and music. I'll probably give it 6-7 out of 10.

MaxEverblack

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Iowa
Definitely Alpha Protocol. I acknowledge that it's a broken mess and ugly to look at, but the dialogue system, branching relationships, and role playing elements made me enjoy the hell out of it.
Also Dead Space 3 was a ton of fun with a friend and the set pieces were amazing, especially the last hour or so. I'm really bummed well never see the results of the dlc ending.

jungomitis

Apr 8, 2020
Does fifa count?

fifa 19 was really a dumpster fire of a game (on FUT) anyways but I put in wayyy too many hours into it.

helped me not get fifa20 or 21 though so that's a plus

Oct 28, 2017
81oZQd5HSWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sure I was young when I first played it, and stuff like bugs, framerate and performance didn't matter to me. But I still think the game is not that bad, and most of the levels are fun to play for me at least. And I sure do preffer this effort to whatever sonic forces was.
I like you. First game I thought of when I saw the thread. Sonic 06 is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be, nor is it even the worst Sonic game or even the worst main series Sonic game. People treat it as if it's on the level of Bubsy 3D or something. It's really not.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I greatly enjoyed Metroid Other M (100%'d it too!) and FFXIII.

I can tell who played Other M and who didn't by whether they complain about the scan visor or not.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Wow, I thought I'd be the first to name Too Human in the thread but I see I'm late to the party many times over on that count. It was mechanically mediocre, but the premise and setup were enough not only to see me through the game. Not only that, I was horribly disappointed that the reception was so bad we'd never see a sequel to carry it forward and try to address the shortcomings of the first entry.

I liked Other M, too, and found some of the companions in Dragon Age 2 charming enough to play through it more than once despite the horrific asset reuse. Isabella, my love, we will meet again.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's what I meant. The scan sections are the worst part, but everyone keeps yelling about the story instead.
I'm not sure what you mean. I believe you can't skip the cutscenes the first playthrough so I'll say they're worse, and there's about 2 hours of cutscenes, when the rest of the game is rather short.

Cutscenes are also controversial because of how weak they make Samus look, so it makes sense far more people would talk about them.

Jan 4, 2018
I'll always stan for Mass Effect Andromeda, I enjoyed it a lot even at launch before the bug fixes and animation changes hit. Hoping they get to carry some of the narrative threads over to the next Mass Effect

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I keep meaning to go back and replay the Call of Duty: Black Ops III campaign, because I thought it was one of the better Call of Duty campaigns personally and was surprised when I went to forums and everyone thought it was absolute dogshit. I mean, the story's garbage, but ALL Call of Duty stories are garbage. Same goes for the characters. I remember it being fun to play (first COD where I raised the difficulty from normal even) and I thought the transhumanism stuff was a neat swerve for the franchise.

Well then you haven't played all the CoD entries. They're not all bad. Sounds like you're just parroting shit you may have read on a message board. But Black Ops 3? Awful, awful, awful.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Kengo 2 which got the name taken off it and called Sword of the Samurai in PAL. It never got that much love critically and the company even changed up the systems for the next game in response I assume but I absolutely loved it (and the first game in fairness) and must have put a few hundred hours into it easily.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed cheap movie tie-in games back in the day.

TMNT, Thor, Captain America: First Avenger, Tron Legacy, etc.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Well then you haven't played all the CoD entries. They're not all bad. Sounds like you're just parroting shit you may have read on a message board. But Black Ops 3? Awful, awful, awful.

First: you're right, there are a lot of Call of Duty games I haven't played:

Call of Duty III
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII (which doesn't even have a campaign)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019
Call of Duty: Cold War

Oh wait, that's four out of how many mainline entries?

Second: just because a story is trash doesn't mean it can't be entertaining. I enjoyed a lot of Call of Duty games. I and II were neat and a genuine innovation for the era; Call of Duty 4 probably has the best story (and is the closest COD comes to not being schlocky); Black Ops 2 is pulpy bullshit but it's also one of my favourites in the series.

Anyways, this thread is about games people enjoyed that got a terrible reception. I posted mine. I didn't say everyone else was wrong about their opinions and I didn't even say people were wrong about Black Ops III. But I'm sorry if you got offended because someone might've talked shit about one of your favourite video game franchises?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age 2. Kirkwall is super repetitive and boring to look at it, the enemy wave spawning is obnoxious, etc but, damn, it's got a great cast, great inter-party dynamics, and the overall story is quite good as well.

The Legacy DLC, on the other hand, is just legitimately great.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
How bad of a reception are we talking? I guess Wonderful 101 had a pretty tepid reaction and I liked it a lot.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
Another vote for Anthem from me. Deploying the shield as a Colossus and just plowing through mobs like a train never gets old.