• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of JRPGs on PS3 were very harshly judged by critics like the first Atelier trilogy

Crumbtiny

Oct 27, 2017
Tenchu Z. I wrung out every ounce of enjoyment I could from that game and loved every minute of it.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
One of my favourite PS3 games.
images

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Probably Too Human. I don't know that I really LOVED it, but I liked the way it played. Every time I come back to it I have to relearn it though - launchers, combos, air juggles... It takes 30-40 minutes before it 'clicks' again.

OP
OP
ekim

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Oh. Ryse is also a good example from my end. Played it in two settings.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
220px-Thirdagebox.jpg

i freaking love this game. a turn based RPG that follows the trilogy of movies, resulting in you playing many iconic scenes from the movies and even with the main characters taking part in your party. very fun game overall for me.

more recently, i enjoyed The Order 1886 a lot.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mercenaries 2. I bought it a while after launch, so I didn't suffer from all of the release bugs that I read about, and I thought the gameplay in general was better than its predecessor (although the first Mercs definitely had it beat in terms of atmosphere, music, and story).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Driveclub and Assestto Corsa, both incredible games that had fairly middling reviews.

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed both Lair and Heavenly Sword.

Also Resistance 2 coop was some good fnthe most fun I've ever ever had with a FPS

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Dynasty Warriors 9. My most played musou, too bad it flopped. Would them to improve on the open world musou concept.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I enjoy most Sonic games, even 06.

Star Fox 0 is awesome!

Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite is the best game in the series.

Homefront the Revolution is a really good open world shooter. Plus you can play a couple levels from Timesplitters 2.

I enjoyed both Tony Hawk Ride and Shred. Probably would've hated them if I paid full price, but for the cheap amount I got them for I had fun.

There are a lot more but these were the ones I thought of first.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't really think of many game that were critically panned let alone games that were critically panned that I actually enjoyed.

51hEiXwImAL._AC_SY445_.jpg

I guess two worlds (it's sequel reviewed ok though so that doesn't really count) would be a good one. I actually enjoyed my time with that more than I did Oblivion at the time. It has better loot and armour variety and that's half the reason I play these games.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Aliens Colonial Marines actually has my highest gameplay time in Steam.

Not much further down is Evolve. I absolutely fucking adored Evolve and I only played with randoms as a hunter. For the 100 hours played I think I played the monster like 5 times.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing universally panned, but looking at metacritic:

Singularity(76)
Hotel Dusk (78)

I would consider both games a solid 9/10 myself.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh yeah, I enjoy bottom of the barrel horror games. Stuff like Juon the Grudge (39), Calling (49), Clock Tower 2 (49), Escape From Bug Island.
That's definitely my guilty pleasure.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Digimon World 1 is my favorite game of all time. I replayed it a couple years ago and 100% it. Still love it. Everything about it is just awesome.

It has terrible review scores.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love Dark Souls 2 even though it gets shit on all the time.

Nier is one of my favourite games of all time and it got pretty middling reviews when it released.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Alpha Protocol, baby. It's not even a case of liking it in spite of its flaws, I actually like how stat-dependent the shooting is and it always ran very stably for me, both when I had it on 360 and when I replayed it on PC.

It's too linear, but so are most games.

Heck yes! I remember watching the GT review and thinking, "Shame, seems like there are a lot of good concepts there."

Years later I snagged it used at gamestop for $5, because why not at that point? Now it's fondly remembered as one of my favorite games of that generation. Obsidian is always just thiiiiis close to greatness with their games.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Not anything specific, but if I'm reading a review and the chief critiques are too repetitive, too easy, that pretty much slots it in my wheelhouse. I like a nice, relaxing, non-taxing experience when it comes to my games.

Also, when something is Japanese and I have some interest, and the review goes all in whining about tropes (and maybe some of the other thing above) and it gets slapped with a 5 or 6 or something, that's a review I pretty much discard, and know will probably enjoy the game.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Unlimited SaGa. One of the very few games i will say that people didn't quite "get"

It's a really unique game, held back by just being so vastly different than anything at the time.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Deadly Premonition is one of my favorite video games and has a 68 metascore.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've only had the opposite experience (high scores but disliked the game).

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
beatmania for the PS2. Universally panned by fans of the genre and people unfamiliar with the series. It used an ugly and old interface, somewhat poor music selection, and the requirement of unlocking much of the songlist through the arcde mode.

I loved it though. Not because of the stuff listed above, but because it brought back some really old tracks from 5-key beatmania games that we hadn't seen in a long time. Also, for the price, the included controller was spectacular and lasted me a long time. I was also able to get a lot of people to give beatmania a chance with the US version and some even got import versions after trying it.

So no, not a great game, but I loved some small things therein and the controller.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
DNF was such fun... for me at least. I might've been the only one in this whole planet.

When all the first person shooters tried to be the new Call of Duty, Duke Nukem Forever was the game it was meant to be, when they originally started developing it during 2000's. Stupid humor, a little bit of variety in gameplay, somewhat a retro-is feel... love it.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Too Human.

Interesting setting and I am a sucker for Loot whoring games. Despite it's repetition and unbearable death animation, it was an underrated game that was never given the chance to try again in a sequel.

I feel like if they got the opportunity to continue their trilogy, they would have fixed many of the mistakes that game suffered. I wish Too Human got the second life that Warframe got.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Resident Evil 6 was great for the most part. The gameplay in the Leon campaign is especially super fun. Love dropkicking me some zombies.

Also Shenmue III had great locations and the amount of story we got made sense for where Shenmue II left off.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Homefront the revolution, i loved the game to the point of buying the expansions and actually liked them even more.