• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Cruuuuuis'n USA! Yeah! Huuuh!

Was my very first N64 game can you believe? Even before Mario 64 lol. Cause it actually came with my system when I got it.

My friend and I were big fans of it from the arcades before then so we actually did play it quite a bit.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Yeah, I played the heck out of Cruis'n USA on N64. I also had Cruis'n World but didn't play it as much for whatever reason.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was my very first N64 game can you believe? Even before Mario 64 lol.

I got my N64 with Mortal Kombat Trilogy and KI Gold. Like, I chose those games, I could have gotten Mario 64. I was an enormous fighting game fan at the time. I got the N64 primarily for Mortal Kombat Trilogy, but wound up playing KI Gold more. I didn't get Mario 64 for a few months later.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
Cruis'n USA on the N64 sold millions... solid proof that third parties didn't make enough N64 games and left a lot of money on the table.

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I remember my friend got this as his only game with his N64 back when the system launched. We played it for a few races and he immediately regretted not getting Mario 64 instead hahah

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
USA on the N64. Thought it was awful though.

I got my N64 with Mortal Kombat Trilogy and KI Gold. Like, I chose those games, I could have gotten Mario 64. I was an enormous fighting game fan at the time. I got the N64 primarily for Mortal Kombat Trilogy, but wound up playing KI Gold more. I didn't get Mario 64 for a few months later.
A friend of mine traded his copy of Mario 64 for KI Gold with another friend. He told me he regretted that decision lol

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I did. But I was more of an OUTRUN fan.

Specifically:
Out_Run_2019_Coverart.png

I really liked how each checkpoint was a branching pathway to a different world. (Like in most outrun games.)

It is 2020 now and it's funny what people thought the future would look like back then....

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Loved Cruisin' USA on the N64. Used to just sit down and play through it 3 or 4 times in a row to chill. it was kind of meditative.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Oh yeah, me and Cruis'n World go back. One of my favorite N64 games.

You've got the speed
You've got the POWAH...

What we need now is a Cruis'n Blast port or better yet, a full series collection!

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I tried playing Cruis'n USA a few years back and I don't know maybe it's because I don't have as much nostalgia for it but I honestly did not like it at all. There's just waaaaaaay better racing games on the N64 than that.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Fuck yeah I did. This was the pallet cleanser to break up hours upon hours of GoldenEye multiplayer when my friends and I had N64 sleepovers.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Definitely played the arcade version probably just as much

CRUIIIISINNNNN

I can visualize myself double tapping the gas pedestal to boost at the start of the race

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Own the n64 version of USA but it's not as good as the arcade. I hated that they removed the ability to run over animals.

California Speed was another good crusin type racer in arcades. Home version not so much.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The first time I've ever encountered the Cruisn'N franchise was in the arcades.

It was Cruisn'N World

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I know the N64 games aren't as good as the arcades, and the arcade games aren't as good as other racers, but I loooved Cruis'n USA.

My cousin had USA and I have Exotica, and while Exotica is the better game, I have a waaay softer spot for USA, its tracks, and its house music.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Yes the first two in the Arcades were fun.

I see Rush mentioned many times and that makes me happy. San Francisco Rush in the Arcades was great but, to ACTUALLY have it at home? On N64. With new tracks? HEAVEN!

But all these games mentioned and no one mentions the KING

hqdefault.jpg

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Blast is low key good. Actually most of those Raw Thrills modern arcade games are good. It's exactly what you'd want from a Cruis'n game.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I see San Francisco Rush is already mentioned, I was going to bring it up since I got the names confused and thought it actually was Cruisn' USA until I watched gameplay videos. Rush had a lot of fun shortcuts, I think that was the racing game I played the most in that era outside of Mario Kart 64.

Pretty sure I played a race or two of Cruis'n but not much.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I see Rush mentioned many times and that makes me happy. San Francisco Rush in the Arcades was great but, to ACTUALLY have it at home? On N64. With new tracks? HEAVEN!

Take the first track, put on 9 laps and perma death and you have the best death racer out there. My brother and I have fond memories of nudging cpu racers at the peak of the hill and watching them tumble and explode. Oh and the hidden Alcatraz track was an awesome surprise.

Death races work with the second rush as well but there are fewer hills and the 90 degree corners are rough.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019

CRUISIN' YEAAAAAHHHHHH

This started playing in my head the second I saw "Cruisin" in the title. I would always do the bumper camera on certain levels because you'd get bugs and goose poop hitting the "windshield" I played this more than Mario 64 I'm pretty sure and it was the first N64 game I owned/played. Only owned an NES before then.

What a time to be a kid.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This started playing in my head the second I saw "Cruisin" in the title. I would always do the bumper camera on certain levels because you'd get bugs and goose poop hitting the "windshield" I played this more than Mario 64 I'm pretty sure and it was the first N64 game I owned/played. Only owned an NES before then.

What a time to be a kid.
I always hated that view for those reasons, lol. I stuck with the default; it's my preferred camera angle for racing games.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I only became aware of this series when USA was released on the Wii VC.
Still play it from time to time for a quick burst of fun, occasionally.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
ULTRA 64!!

I read in magazines that ULTRA64 was the Codename for Nintendos next console and when I saw Cruis'n USA in an arcade in the mid 90's it blew my mind. I played it a lot in the arcades. I thought the N64 port didn't compare.

Only Cruis'n game I played

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I always hated that view for those reasons, lol. I stuck with the default; it's my preferred camera angle for racing games.
I think mostly it was because I just found it absolutely mind-blowing and hilarious (I was 9.) I never went to arcades and I had been renting NES games from a local place and didn't even know the SNES existed. I'd usually do pretty terribly in the race and would switch to default eventually, lol.