• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you like The Witness?

• Yes

Votes: 694 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 243 25.9%

• Total voters

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Went back to The Witness after a few year of not touching it and I remember why I stopped playing it. Some of the puzzles are too hard...or maybe i'm dumb...

Did you enjoy playing The Witness?

Nathaniel_Wu

Apr 6, 2018
I didn't, mostly because of the framerate on OG PS4, I just couldn't play it for an extended amount of time without feeling dizzy. I stopped playing after about one hour in and never returned.

Last edited:

brb

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Probably my favorite puzzle game of all time. Absolutely love it and still think about it years after I've got the platinum.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I got about halfway through. Without spoilers, is the big reveal mindblowing enough to go back?

Felt less inclined to go back recently because Jonathan Blow is a regressive dunce.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. The puzzles were great, I absolutely adored the way the game incorporates "learning the rules of the puzzles" as its own puzzle, and thought Blow did a great job with the tutorialising there.

It was definitely a different experience from nearly every other game, and it's one of two games I've ever played with a notebook (Fez is the other), but it was exactly up my alley.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I have not finished it, but I love every bit I've played.

I play it in short bursts usually in between other games, but it's excellently digestible and enjoyable.

nadeem

Sep 26, 2020
Love it. I haven't played many other games that communicate ideas non-verbally so well.

Jedi79

Oct 27, 2017
I'm far too dumb to finish it, but enjoyed the little I was a able to figure out lol

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's ok. I immediately (and I mean super early) picked out some of the "meta" puzzles where you
use the environment
to solve them. Overall it felt no better or worse than a tablet puzzle game, and while I appreciated some of the clever solutions, nothing within it made me have the profound experience that others did. Whole thing was kinda flat for me, honestly.

Oct 29, 2017
Yea it was a lot of fun. Had some trouble with a few puzzles but I remember one in particular that took me over an hour and once I finally completed it it was one of the most rewarding things I'd ever done in a game.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I had a wonderful time with it until I put it aside for a few months. Went back to it and just couldn't rekindle that love. It's dead to me, basically.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I got about halfway through. Without spoilers, is the big reveal mindblowing enough to go back?

Assuming you're thinking what I'm thinking, the big reveal is something you could conceivably beat the game without noticing. I'll say when I did begin to notice them the game quickly shot up to being one of my favorite puzzle games ever made.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to but it actively fought me the entire time. I didn't have too much trouble with the puzzles but a lot of them were *super* fiddly where I knew what to do but I wasn't standing where it wanted me to stand so I'd have to nudge myself around slightly until it let me complete it.
Once I got 'the thing', it was neat but then it got kind of rote and you had to repeat the same puzzle types wwwaayyy too many times and all of the sound based puzzles suck.
A lot of clever ideas but I didn't find them nearly as clever as the game did, apparently.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
probably most obsessed i have become with a game this gen, couldn't put down until the end.
really has some ingenious puzzle designs that were ultra satisfying to figure out.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved it.

It was great just to boot up, wander around, find a puzzle that I'd previously been stumped on, and find that I was able to tackle it from a new perspective.

I had to make heavy use of the screenshot feature to keep references for old/tutorial puzzles, to avoid forgetting all the different mechanics.

I got up to the final puzzle with the record playing, but couldn't get past it for reasons, which were annoying.
But by and large, it was an awesome experience.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's one of the most brilliantly-designed games ever made. Perhaps the most brilliant. The way it nonverbally communicates an entire language of specific, complex ideas is astounding. Jonathan Blow is a genius. A total piece of shit, but a genius all the same.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
It's one of my all-time favorite games. I very nearly 100%'d it without help, but two of the
environmental puzzles
had me absolutely stumped for weeks, mostly because I'd never noticed that
the sides of the obelisk they appeared on corresponded to their location in the world.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it. One of my favorites of all time. Having to discover the rules of each puzzle, then combine those rules to other puzzles was brilliant.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, not really. Every puzzle just leads immediately to another puzzle without a lot of narrative or gameplay payoff. Felt like doing Calculus homework, or a neverending book of sudoku puzzles.

Eventually I just got stuck at some point in most of the puzzle series, and stopped playing.

Raggen

Oct 7, 2019
I really admire it, and I have played it twice now. It is a unique game, but I do find games like Portal 2 and The Talos Principle more fun because it feels like you can experiment your way towards the solution in the game world, while in The Witness it is mostly done on the panels.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I appreciated the two hours I played of it for the atmosphere but got stuck and Jonathan Blow is a misogynist idiot so never went back to it.

Oct 27, 2017
It was probably my favorite game of the year, which owed a lot to how much fun I had playing it with my partner. We approached the puzzles so differently. For a lot of the ones we could both solve, our explanations of how we arrived at the solution were different. I'd love it if everyone could have that couch co-op experience with it, because it made a huge difference for how much I enjoyed the game.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm very, very glad I wasn't able to spoil the game by looking up any hints or clues. (Got the game to review.) That one moment in the "middle" of the game is still one of my favorites in my gaming lifetime.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
The Witness completely took me over. One of those games that you think about when you're not playing it. Had me sketching out puzzles on paper and thinking about solutions in bed.

Easily one of the best games I played this gen, if not ever. So yeah, I enjoyed it...haha.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get into it very much but my husband loved it went through the entire thing🤷🏾‍♂️

I can appreciate it though it wasn't my cup of tea.

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with The Witness is that you really need to enjoy difficult puzzles for it to be a "fun" experience.

I thought it was one of the best puzzles games I've ever played, it was brilliant. Some headache-inducing ones if you don't understand the concept yet. And the final challenge for the platinum is truly a mindfuck.

Jonathan Blow takes about 10 years to make a game but they're worth it. Braid was also amazing.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
"Yes" is an understatement. It's a masterpiece. A total triumph of game design. Never been wowed so many times in a single game.
When I found my first
environmental puzzle, I was speechless. A moment that could only be appreciated by playing the game yourself.

Last edited:

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I did. Though there was no way I was solving some of those puzzles without a guide.