• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It has problems, mostly for the female cast, but honestly KH3 in general ended up way better than it had any right to be all things considered.

Now all we need is that FINAL MIXXXXX.

Is that mobile game? This series lol. Putting semi important characters in a mobile only game haha.

you do get that the 300 names you get to mash TRIANGLE for are REAL players and it's their usernames from the mobile game, right? It's one of the best moments of the whole game. I knew about them because they appear for a bit in the movie that came with 2.8 and I saw a summary of the mobile game.

Also the mobile game characters will be important in KH4 for sure, we basically already know this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the arcs, I honestly think O13 took way too much of the screen time here. There was not space for anything else.

Each world was basically an O13 mini storyline, with the intermission Riku and Mickey stuff in-between worlds.

If anything it should get much more.

Or no side stories lol.

Days is a side story of Roxas.

He's not amaizing at it but he's not usually bad it either.

He does fine when he has someone to help.

Like Xion's pretty good because she's Kanemaki's own character edited by Nomura.

Aqua is inoffensive but can get one noteish at times but then that's most of the original KH characters. She's interesting when she's not thinking about Ven or Terra.

Kairi is just.....badly done. Nomura didn't know what to do with her for a long time after KH1. Olette is a better character than Kairi.

Namine and Larxene are Nomura's best females characters though and both come from Chain of Memories. Whoever helped him there needs to come back.

Nomura had help in the writing on all games. I don't know why this is ignored when the credits for scenario writers are literally there for all of them, with Oka being the only one responsible since BBS. lol

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
And it still took 2 men to save her and then get her taken down a peg later on by another man, just to be saved again by a man.
Yeah. But they didn't have any female characters available.

Kairi was still very green to go there. Xion was not available, nor was Naminé. So this is series character development issue, not so much KH3 writing issue.

Looks like the next arc will be better if you watch the epilogue.

Ava was missing from the reunion

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. But they didn't have any female characters available.

Kairi was still very green to go there. Xion was not available, nor was Naminé. So this is series character development issue, not so much KH3 writing issue.

Looks like the next arc will be better if you watch the epilogue.

I saw it. It's pretty vague and doesn't erase my problems with the initial damseling. I guess you can argue
Xion gets a moment but even then she doesn't save herself in the first place, it was Xehenort who brought her back.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Kairi and Lea literally DID FUCKALL in cutscenes and when the time for battle came, performed like shit because all they did was write notes and eat ice cream.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I saw it. It's pretty vague and doesn't erase my problems with the initial damseling. I guess you can argue
Xion gets a moment but even then she doesn't save herself in the first place, it was Xehenort who brought her back.
Yeah. I still don't see Aqua as damseling

She was in KH version of hell for many years. It took two Masters to even find her. And they were almost killed once. She basically died when she was infected by the darkness. She puts up a fight with Sora in a state where she was it really was not all there. And she wrecks Vanitas.

I do agree with the others. Very poorly developed.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Bruh also, fucking Xehanort fucking "kills" kairi, causes the suffering of the BBS crew for 10 years, masterminds all this shit and he's allowed to fuck off peacefully in the end with eraqus?

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I still don't see Aqua as damseling

She was in KH version of hell for many years. It took two Masters to even find her. And they were almost killed once. She basically died when she was infected by the darkness. She puts up a fight with Sora in a state where she was it really was not all there. And she wrecks Vanitas.

I do agree with the others. Very poorly developed.

She doesn't wreck vanitas, he beats her and she's saved by Ventus.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right. Misremember lol. I confused the player scenario, where you play as her and the cutscene lol.
Yeah it's one of those annoying things this series likes to do(jrpgs in general really) where you kick ass in the gameplay and then in the cutscenes your character acts like they just blew out a lung.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah it's one of those annoying things this series likes to do(jrpgs in general really) where you kick ass in the gameplay and then in the cutscenes your character acts like they just blew out a lung.

To be fair,
Vanitas attacked Ventus because Aqua had the upper hand in the battle

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Aqua is basically the same as the majority except for Roxas, Xion and few characters because the same Ventus had to be saved by Aqua and then by Sora and was killed too, Axel had worse and so on. lol

Okay, If you're in this mindset we're not going anywhere, are we?

I'm with you. I'm seeing a lot of Aqua hate but EVERYONE is a pushover in this game and gets saved by someone, even Sora till the very end. Bunch of losers.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Had to be saved by Riku, Sora, and Mickey.

Then tells Sora it's her turn to be strong? or something. Beats Vanitas.

And then... loses in a cutscene so she can be saved again by Ven?

Is killed by the heartless tornado.

Is saved by the Lingering Will.

Is saved by Terra's heartless.

Eeeeh.

That scene is Aqua saving Ventus and ten Ventus saving Aqua. It's stupid but it's a bit of a give and take.

She isn't saved by the Lingering Will. Ventus is. Aqua doesn't get wrecked by Terranort in that scene.

Ventus and Sora were also saved by Guardian.

Everyone is killed by the tornado.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I'm with you. I'm seeing a lot of Aqua hate but EVERYONE is a pushover in this game and gets saved by someone, even Sora till the very end. Bunch of losers.
What's funny is that Sora is still not technically a Keyblade Master lol. It's only Mickey, Riku, and Aqua. Xehanort counts too.

So is the test just bullshit lol. Sora is clearly the most powerful.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

The only ones that got be badass from start to finish are Donald, Goody and Terra (by way of his proxies).

I think a lot of Aqua fans(including myself) got attached to Aqua as the badass one that her being anything else hurts our view of her.

A lot of it is just cutscene incompetence though, guys. And that hit almost every character including Sora, Mickey and Riku.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Kairi got shafted, but other than that... yes. They were brief but very good - nothing insanely deep but good enough to be enjoyable
What's funny is that Sora is still not technically a Keyblade Master lol. It's only Mickey, Riku, and Aqua. Xehanort counts too.
he gets the power of Waking at the end though, so isn't he now a Keyblade Master?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

So is the test just bullshit lol. Sora is clearly the most powerful.

No way is Sora the most powerful.

Mickey fucking Mouse can cast Ultima. He could one shot Sora if he had to.

I do think Aqua at 100 % can take Sora too.

Like Aqua was able to take down Terranort who seems broken.

And LS can go toe to toe with Terranort and beat him as well.

Tbh, I think Terranort might be stronger than normal MX.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Eeeeh.

That scene is Aqua saving Ventus and ten Ventus saving Aqua. It's stupid but it's a bit of a give and take.

She isn't saved by the Lingering Will. Ventus is. Aqua doesn't get wrecked by Terranort in that scene.

Ventus and Sora were also saved by Guardian.

Everyone is killed by the tornado.

The point is that
Aqua is reduced to a damsel that needs to be saved. With Ven awakening in particular she for "reasons" needs to be in danger for him to awaken. Why can't Ven just awaken after she beats the shit out of Vanitas?

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personaly yeah i love them heck i wear a roxas silver chain necklace irl lol the official square enix merch one i only replaced the chain with a bigger silver one cuz the chain was pretty small for adult males xd.

Probably the best version of the x hanger from roxas ive ever seen so far only quite expensive (like 90 bucks + import costs) but i intend to wear it for a lifetime anyway :)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Also, Aqua, literally the only character in the series who summons magic shields....doesn't use it to block fireballs.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Mostly, but Kairi's going to be the reason KHIII might not end up on my GOTY list. That arc is so fucking terrible.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Also, Aqua, literally the only character in the series who summons magic shields....doesn't use it to block fireballs.

Sometimes I forget to press square too.

Let's be real. It's done so there for the suspense. They didn't want Aqua to straight up lose to Vanitas in a fight so Aqua had to lose brain cells and lose to Vanitas playing dirty.

I only let it slide because it's mentioned that she's not at 100% yet.

The point is that
Aqua is reduced to a damsel that needs to be saved. With Ven awakening in particular she for "reasons" needs to be in danger for him to awaken. Why can't Ven just awaken after she beats the shit out of Vanitas?

It only really specifically happens to her once. All the other times, she needs as much rescuing as Ventus or Mickey does.

And it happens for the suspense and to give Ven a hype moment which does suck but I'll let it slide because Sora mentions that Aqua isn't at 100 %

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point is that

I mean, it was clearly used for emotional part as Ventus saw Aqua in danger and could despert with their connection. Could be made better without the scene of how she's attacked? Yes, it could but Ventus just awakening after Aqua beating Vanitas not only makes it a weaker scene but also don't make as much sense. And it's not like Aqua wasn't with the upper hand as Vanitas only did what he did because he had no other choice.

I do think it's a bit of a exaggeration. Aqua is probably my favorite character on the franchise and I don't see in that way. To me her performance was pretty much like the majority of the characters not called Kairi and Axel.

McNagah

Oct 25, 2017
I think that I liked almost each of the individual characters arcs being shaped up but it felt way too short to become really satisfying. I would have wanted different characters have their arcs to be spaced out more instead of saving it all in the last 5 hours.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the arcs, I honestly think O13 took way too much of the screen time here. There was not space for anything else.

Each world was basically an O13 mini storyline, with the intermission Riku and Mickey stuff in-between worlds.
Even then they mostly pop up to call Sora an idiot and leave and sometimes mildly inconvenient or tell him what he needs to do

the actual character stuff was shoved into the finale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
When looking at the whole picture of KH3 and the overall Xehanort Saga, other than Kairi - I'm generally satisfied. That's due to the fact that many of these characters already had their arcs in previous games, and really the main thing I needed from this was them being saved from their tragic fate.

Individually speaking though, the characters that had a good arc in KH3? Or an arc that I would consider "this character had their deserving moment, muah *kiss*"? Very few.

I'd say only:
- Sora
- Terra ( Lingering Will and Guardian )
- Eraqus
- Replica Riku
- Namine
- Roxas

Had any arc worth a damn.

I would give some brownie points to Ansem, Saix and Vexen though.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME THEIR THOUGHTS ON THIS ONE:
People saying that they were upset with Xehanort's arc/redemption. I would argue I hated ALL of the redemption going on in the end - I mean REALLY Xehanort's heartless (ansem seeker of darkness) saying he was proud of Riku and the keyblade wielder he became...like REALLY?!?!?!

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Sora is the strongest. Did you skip the final world? Dude saved every other keyblade warrior, he saved Mickey, Riku, and Aqua multiple times in the game lol
Sora was the only one putting in work (and Terra I guess,) while everyone else was jobbing.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I liked Ansem's arc to be honest.

Here's the thing about Ansem SoD. He's basically been pushed around like a jobber the most out of all incarnations of Xehanort. In KH1 he lost to Sora, in CoM he lost to Riku, and in KH2, even though Riku tapped into his dark powers - Riku never lost himself and by the end of KH2, pretty much subjugated Ansem's power and made the darkness his own.

Of any villain to eat a humble pie, it's Ansem who was the one closest to Sora and Riku - having watched over them for the longest.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I was more positive, but not really. I felt like the whole last 10% of the game had 90% of the character arcs resolve themselves in this awkward, mechanical way.

Xehanort's semi-redemption felt unearned, Xion's ability to exist entirely seperate from Sora/Roxas now felt unearned and feels like pure fanservice (the normal kind). The BBS trio resolution is heartwarming, I loved the scene with their charms at the very end, but I was pulled out of it a bit when Eraqus asked TERRA of all people to watch over the other two lol. Riku and Mickey, despite the amount of screen time, don't accomplish much at all, or interact with the rest of the cast in any interesting ways. Roxas and Namine are barely present, but at least Namine has a nice optional interaction with Sora in The Final World. Honestly, with that interaction counted, it's probably the most Sora talks to any other character other than Donald or Goofy.

TLDR, the game feels like it just ties up the necessary things introduced in the last decade and is far more interested in the MoM/Luxu plot moving forward from this point on.

This. So much this. It ends up disappointing with character arcs for these reason. But with all of the trios made and tried over the decade, I expected no more from this chapter. I still found myself enjoying the game as a whole, but Kingdom Hearts 3 shows that the storytelling is (and perhaps will stay) as rough as ever with the series.There are some arcs that are handled okay, but with the cast size, the crumbling of resolutions comes off wet-handed and almost dismissive of the building blocks made thus far.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017

Here's the thing about Ansem SoD. He's basically been pushed around like a jobber the most out of all incarnations of Xehanort. In KH1 he lost to Sora, in CoM he lost to Riku, and in KH2, even though Riku tapped into his dark powers - Riku never lost himself and by the end of KH2, pretty much subjugated Ansem's power and made the darkness his own.

Of any villain to eat a humble pie, it's Ansem who was the one closest to Sora and Riku - having watched over them for the longest.
How could you forget him getting bodied by Goofy in DDD.

But he does kick Aqua's ass in KH3.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, I'm not cool with it. Especially since they had to sneak giving Riku some kind of weird Stockholm syndrome right at the end. Like, what do you mean, you're going to miss Ansem SoD? After everything that happened? After he kept trying to fuck with Riku and drag him out? Like, that's textbook stockholm syndrome for Riku to suddenly talk about "missing him" out of nowhere like, no foreshadowing or prior hints or anything, just drop that bomb and treat it like it's nothing and then move on. Just terrible.

And of course, similar could be said about Ansem himself. Yeah, Sora and Riku kicked his butt each time he showed up. But he still persisted in believing Darkness was stronger anyway and in particular that it was only a matter of time before Riku would give into him. He was wrong, but he kept going with it. So for him to suddenly due an about face with absolutely no hints of it or anything beforehand, just bad.

But the worst of it was him dragging Riku down with him before he fucked off, with Riku uttering that line for no reason. No Riku, you have no reason to miss him, at all. You're better than that, so much better. Bleh.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Just want to add Xemnas's VA is so bad ass. Also, RIP Nimoy - he will always be the coolest Master Xehanort. His VA replacement sounds like an old man with a speed impediment.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Sora is the strongest. Did you skip the final world? Dude saved every other keyblade warrior, he saved Mickey, Riku, and Aqua multiple times in the game lol
Sora was the only one putting in work (and Terra I guess,) while everyone else was jobbing.

Let's be honest here. Sora doesn't take anyone down solo in the game except for Luxord and Anti-Aqua. He's always got people helping him aside from that.

(Roxas doesn't job either. )

I'll stand by the fact that Aqua wasn't at full power.

I do think Sora is stronger than Lea, Kairi, Xion and Ventus but no way could Sora stand an Ultima from Mickey nor take down Aqua at full power. Sora jobs to Terranort and Aqua at her best is stronger than Terranort.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME THEIR THOUGHTS ON THIS ONE:
People saying that they were upset with Xehanort's arc/redemption. I would argue I hated ALL of the redemption going on in the end - I mean REALLY Xehanort's heartless (ansem seeker of darkness) saying he was proud of Riku and the keyblade wielder he became...like REALLY?!?!?!

To be honest this was the only one that actually felt earned to me.
He's really your nemesis of the series, having shown up a billion times at this point. I think after spending so much time with/fighting against Sora and Riku it made a weird sense that he had grown to respect them.

The rest
of the redemption arcs were just awful. It's hilarious that somehow Kingdom Hearts is more merciful towards its villains than EVERY SINGLE DISNEY MOVIE.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
To be honest this was the only one that actually felt earned to me.
He's really your nemesis of the series, having shown up a billion times at this point. I think after spending so much time with/fighting against Sora and Riku it made a weird sense that he had grown to respect them.

The rest
of the redemption arcs were just awful. It's hilarious that somehow Kingdom Hearts is more merciful towards its villains than EVERY SINGLE DISNEY MOVIE.

So I felt that way when the event occurred and even thought it was a cool moment (still do). But the more and more i thought about it, he was a complete jackass throughout KH3. I dunno mixed feelings but i think i'm just sour on the forced redemption of every single character.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
So I felt that way when the event occurred and even thought it was a cool moment (still do). But the more and more i thought about it, he was a complete jackass throughout KH3. I dunno mixed feelings but i think i'm just sour on the forced redemption of every single character.

I feel you, it would have been fine for one or two, but when everyone gets their regretful speech then it feels ham-fisted as hell.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumpster Fire-tier
Master Xehanort
Kairi

Garbage-tier
Axel

Mediocre-tier
Sora
Aqua
Xemnas
Roxas

Nonexistent-tier
Mickey
Goofy
Ventus
Young Xehanort
Riku
Yen Sid
Namine
Marluxia
Ansem the Wise
Roxas' Shitty Friends

Serviceable-tier
Eraqus
Larxene
Donald
Xion
Ansem, Seeker of Darkness

Decent-tier
Terra
Xigbar
Vanitas
Vexen
Saix
Demyx

Actually Good-tier
Replica Riku

Big winners were the supporting non-Xehanort Organization XIII members. Undisputed overall dark horse was Replica Riku, a bottom-tier throwaway plot point from a couple earlier games ended up having the best arc in KH3. Vanitas only ranked so high because his lack of redemption is a great juxtaposition to every other Organization XIII member (including, very unfortunately, Master Xehanort himself).

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was kinda nice having Vanitas flip Sora off, say "I am darkness, bitch.", and then die. I actually kinda liked how they handled that character.

Feb 2, 2019
No. Kairi was mismanaged, again. Everyone caries a keyblade, Riku was way more interesting in KH1, everyone was saved from death, Sora is a big mary sue... KH1 is still king to me.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
At least Larxene just told Sora to go fuck himself

lol that i respected! with how anime-ish the entire series is - for good and bad - i expected a tsundere moment from her, that's for sure.

sora kept calling the org members has-beens and 'wet towels' (whatever the eff that means), yet he shed disney tears for them randomly at the end.