• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So,

who was he kid with he silver hair in the Keyblade Graveyard scene? Right before Or after Sora revives.

Jul 24, 2018
I kinda hated how Aqua was reduced to a damsel, who constantly needed saving from the boys and not the other way around, she was the one who was doing all the saving in Birth By Sleep.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nomura just isn't able to write compelling female characters. Aqua isn't better in any shape or form. She is basically the prototype of a "traditional" japanese wife / mom. Her whole purpose is "holding the family together" while sacrificing herself in the progress. What do we know about her that stand in no context to terra or ventus? Terra has his own struggles, Ventus has his. Aquas struggle is simply the fact that ven and terra are struggling with stuff. That isn't what I would call "good writing".

Which is largely the same as Sora with Kairi and Riku. I guess Sora is the same traditional husband.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hated how Aqua was reduced to a damsel, who constantly needed saving from the boys and not the other way around, she was the one who was doing all the saving in Birth By Sleep.

Constantly? It had one scene where she defended Ventus to get attacked by Vanitas and it was the trigger to awaken his heart. That's it. That's a exaggeration, honestly.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Constantly? It had one scene where she defended Ventus to get attacked by Vanitas and it was the trigger to awaken his heart. That's it. That's a exaggeration, honestly.

Had to be saved by Riku, Sora, and Mickey.

Then tells Sora it's her turn to be strong? or something. Beats Vanitas.

And then... loses in a cutscene so she can be saved again by Ven?

Is killed by the heartless tornado.

Is saved by the Lingering Will.

Is saved by Terra's heartless.

Jul 24, 2018
A pointless sacrifice she didn't need to do, and even more annoying when you just literally beat him in a boss fight as Aqua and then bullshit dictates that he wins after the fight is over anyway.
I also hate how she literally just gives in to the darkness yet again, when she stands against the giant storm of heartless in the Final World, compared to Riku who literally takes on the Heartless by himself, and she's supposed to be the experienced Keyblade Master. They never really gave her any awesome moments in this game, she was constantly at the villains mercy for the big boys to save her and it's dumb.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Roxas had more of an arc in the KH2 prologue than every character in KH3 combined.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
everyone kind of got fucked aside from maybe terra, roxas and xion

actually that's not entirely fair; the sora/goofy/donald relationship was pretty well done. but most of the supporting characters (especially kairi) were handled pretty poorly

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had to be saved by Riku, Sora, and Mickey.

Then tells Sora it's her turn to be strong? or something. Beats Vanitas.

And then... loses in a cutscene so she can be saved again by Ven?

Is killed by the heartless tornado.

Is saved by the Lingering Will.

Is saved by Terra's heartless.

So Aqua is basically the same as the majority except for Roxas, Xion and few characters because the same Ventus had to be saved by Aqua and then by Sora and was killed too, Axel had worse and so on. lol

A pointless sacrifice she didn't need to do, and even more annoying when you just literally beat him in a boss fight as Aqua and then bullshit dictates that he wins after the fight is over anyway.
I also hate how she literally just gives in to the darkness yet again, when she stands against the giant storm of heartless in the Final World, compared to Riku who literally takes on the Heartless by himself, and she's supposed to be the experienced Keyblade Master. They never really gave her any awesome moments in this game, she was constantly at the villains mercy for the big boys to save her and it's dumb.

Okay, If you're in this mindset we're not going anywhere, are we?

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the way it ends the Days and BBS trio arc, but we know that will probably see more of Axel and Isa in the next game because of the girl "X". So, i think that Axel arc still didn't end, lol.

Akai_XIII

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I don't get:
Xehanort has Yellow eyes... His younger form doesn't. All the members of Org XIII have yellow eyes, so was he the "real" Xehanort? Especially with the "X" in his name, another thing in common.

Jul 24, 2018
So Aqua is basically the same as the majority except for Roxas, Xion and few characters because the same Ventus had to be saved by Aqua and then by Sora and was killed too, Axel had worse and so on. lol

What mindset would one have to be in order to see past that she doesn't really get to contribute much? I mean, yeah, I don't care about how Sora is basically the only guy who can fix everything. and ends up beating all the bad guys. But I just can't forgive the fact that the only actual female veteran keyblade wielder gets reduced to a damsel who constantly needs saving, either through weird reckless actions, or giving up easily into despair when she's always been the most reasonable and strongest person as depicted in Birth By Sleep. I don't even mind that she recklessly sacrifices herself to save a friend, I just mind the reasoning for it. The sentiment was a lot stronger in BBS with Terra, here it just feels cheap, especially after she just beat the guy in a boss fight. Even Riku, who also ends up getting backhanded a lot, gets a lot of cool moments compared to Aqua.
It seems to be an inherent thing with largely of the female characters but it's just lame that it was done to Aqua as well.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
What mindset would one have to be in order to see past that she doesn't really get to contribute much? I mean, yeah, I don't care about how Sora is basically the only guy who can fix everything. and ends up beating all the bad guys. But I just can't forgive the fact that the only actual female veteran keyblade wielder gets reduced to a damsel who constantly needs saving, either through weird reckless actions, or giving up easily into despair when she's always been the most reasonable and strongest person as depicted in Birth By Sleep. I don't even mind that she recklessly sacrifices herself to save a friend, I just mind the reasoning for it. The sentiment was a lot stronger in BBS with Terra, here it just feels cheap, especially after she just beat the guy in a boss fight. Even Riku, who also ends up getting backhanded a lot, gets a lot of cool moments compared to Aqua.
It seems to be an inherent thing with largely of the female characters but it's just lame that it was done to Aqua as well.
I think this is a consequence of Aqua's prologue getting cut into a KH3 demo. Cause if you add it into KH3 like it initially was and she looks a lot better than most everyone except Terra, Roxas and Sora.

Jul 24, 2018
I think this is a consequence of Aqua's prologue getting cut into a KH3 demo. Cause if you add it into KH3 like it initially was and she looks a lot better than most everyone except Terra, Roxas and Sora.
Sure, I actually dug the Fragmentary Passage, whatever the hell name of it was, demo. But I think at that point I was already tired of her constantly having to sacrifice herself. This is why I hope there will be another game where you play as her but it's probably doubtful as Nomura does like his shonen hero, Sora.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
For the most part. Kairi could have had more time, but Sora, the BBS crew, and many others felt like they got their due. Even Xion, as small a role as she has.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed most of them quite a bit, a lot have been a long time coming. KH3 is interesting in that it doesn't need to further most characters arcs much in terms of personal growth: by the beginning of the game most characters are resolved for what's gotta happen. KH3 is a lot of execution more than anything, which I still found to be almost entirely a satisfying cap on a lot arcs.

The series' crowning achievement remains Riku. His story is an excellent redemptive tale about learning to live with your own mistakes and your own trauma, and I appreciate that his position on the light/dark spectrum is allowed to be more nuanced than most characters. They also don't cut corners much with him: his journey back is a continual struggle, but by DDD it's so clear how far he's come.
And the moment when it all goes wrong and Sora just breaks down while Riku is the only one who stands absolutely against their insurmountable threat shows just how far he's come, to a degree that he's more driven and courageous than Sora.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Aqua still was the most reasonable person here.. and she wasn't stronger than Terra in BBS. And like, I think you're forgetting that even in BBS Aqua had to be saved by Ventus against Vanitas and was unconscious for part of the game, much like she was beaten other times as well. But that wasn't just Aqua to be fair, Terra and Ventus had the same on BBS being saved by each other. In KH3, Ventus wasn't more reasonable or had more moments than Aqua and was also saved by her.. and Terra had nothing since he just got and saved by them.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Aqua still was the most reasonable person here.. and she wasn't stronger than Terra in BBS. And like, I think you're forgetting that even in BBS Aqua had to be saved by Ventus against Vanitas and was unconscious for part of the game, much like she was beaten other times as well. But that wasn't just Aqua to be fair, Terra and Ventus had the same on BBS being saved by each other. In KH3, Ventus wasn't more reasonable or had more moments than Aqua and was also saved by her.. and Terra had nothing since he just got and saved by them.
There's a decisively different framing of Aqua getting back attacked unaware from Vanitas and her stupidly blocking his attack with her body.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a decisively different framing of Aqua getting back attacked unaware from Vanitas and her stupidly blocking his attack with her body.

Yes, and that wasn't the question said. I don't disagree that said scene with her using her body is stupid but it's not like in BBS she didn't experience the same things that she did on KH3, much like Terra and Ventus also did. I rewatched the final battle of the three paths after beating 3 and it's even more clear.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, and that wasn't the question said. I don't disagree that said scene with her using her body is stupid but it's not like in BBS she didn't experience the same things that she did on KH3, much like Terra and Ventus also did. I rewatched the final battle of the three paths after beating 3 and it's even more clear.
Sure, but context matters.

The Aqua things in KH3 are so jarring because they rely on character stupidity for plot convenience which just makes the character needlessly look bad.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Concurring with what a few users have said, unfortunately: ...what character arcs? :( Sigh. Only the Disney characters have characters arcs with a strong beginning, middle, and end. (Goddamn Buzz has more character development than any of the non-Disney characters!)

I'm ultimately wondering if this is why KH3's story feels so hollow for me. Sora's never gone through much development (with CoM being the exception?), but at least each entry in the series has one prominent character that goes through a transformative arc. KH1 had Riku, CoM had Repliku and Riku, KH2 had Roxas, Axel, and Riku, 358/2 Days had Roxas, Axel, and Xion, BBS had Terra and Ven, DDD had Riku, 0.2 had Aqua. (I still haven't gotten around to Re:coded, so I can't speak for that game.)

0.2 took Aqua on more of an interesting character arc in two hours than anyone got in KH3. The heck.

I'm sympathetic in that KH3 has a large cast of characters to juggle, but every other game gave in the franchise at least one character some form of strong character development, so it's unfortunate KH3 doesn't do this. KH3 was the perfect opportunity to give Kairi a character arc, and she definitely had the beginnings of one (I won't be left behind, I'll help out, etc), but that completely imploded with the ending. Even if long term character development is being set up for Kairi, her development in each game still needs to have self-contained resolution, like how Riku and Roxas' development has brilliantly been handled in the past. Ironically, Rapunzel's arc is what Kairi's could have been - a young woman coming into her own, becoming more and more confident, and wanting to fight for herself and protect the ones she loves.

I would say that Sora had the echoes of a unique character arc in KH3 (from my friends are my power! -> I can't do this by myself -> I need do this alone), but it completely clashes against the 'stronger together' message the game continually pushes, throughout all the Disney worlds in KH3, even in the final battle with all the team-ups. So, yeah, I don't know what to do with a character arc for Sora that fundamentally goes against the main theme of the entire franchise, lol.

Thinking about it, no. Because for the vast majority of the cast, there is no character development/arcs happening in 3. Their characters pretty much stay exactly as they were as of KH2/DDD.

The main exception to this are
the villains, once you defeat them, who the game tries its hardest to redeem at the last possible moment. Yes, including Ansem SoD, Xemnas, and even Master Xehanort himself. But that stuff is all pulled out if nowhere at the last second, so its not very satisfying. The one exception I suppose being SaĂŻx/Isa who wraps up nicely but otherwise bleh.

Beyond that though, characters like Sora, Riku, Aqua, and so forth are pretty much exactly who they were when we last saw them , so there's just not much to say in this particular aspect.

Yeah, it's so goddamn weird that the villains are the ones with the character arcs! But I also agree, it's not very satisfying because it's all so brief and at the last moment. If these epiphanies were happening over the course of the game, that would have been great.

Roxas had more of an arc in the KH2 prologue than every character in KH3 combined.

Absolutely this! Roxas basically goes through the five stages of grief in the KH2 prologue, it's brutal. Roxas' character arc over the series is one of the best, too, and his changing dynamic with Sora is great: 358/2 Days (understandably resenting and hating Sora) -> KH2 (eventual acceptance of Sora) -> DDD (actively wanting to help and support Sora).

Oct 27, 2017
The BBS crew? Yes. The KH crew? Fuck no and I'm super fucking pissed. I don't know if Nomura
has a hardon for tragic loves or what not especially after what happened to Stella and Noctis in XV, but this was supposed to be the closing chapter for Kairi and Sora and you let her get outright murdered in front of him and then don't give them closure?
Made me so sad and mad.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Terra got to be so cool he saved the day twice as two different beings.

So that was pretty rad

Jul 24, 2018
Terra idiotically got himself strung along by a man who literally looks like Ganondorf's uncle, because Terra couldn't see the forest for the trees that the man he's admiring is clearly evil and has bad intentions in store. On top of getting tricked by Maleficent, another clearly shady looking person. Aqua has to pretty much clean up after him as well as Ventus in Birth By Sleep, so saying that Aqua isn't stronger than Terra is a bit out there.
And I don't really see how Ventus' characterization in KH3 has anything to do with how the writers handled Aqua. It doesn't.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So,

who was he kid with he silver hair in the Keyblade Graveyard scene? Right before Or after Sora revives.

Play the mobile game

There is 1 law.

KH HAS NO SIDE GAMES

That's Ephemera one of the young Keyblade wielders that survived the Keyblade War and became leader of a Keyblade Union

His spirit lent Sora the Keyblades of all his Union

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terra idiotically got himself strung along by a man who literally looks like Ganondorf's uncle, because Terra couldn't see the forest for the trees that the man he's admiring is clearly evil and has bad intentions in store. On top of getting tricked by Maleficent, another clearly shady looking person. Aqua has to pretty much clean up after him as well as Ventus in Birth By Sleep, so saying that Aqua isn't stronger than Terra is a bit out there.
And I don't really see how Ventus' characterization in KH3 has anything to do with how the writers handled Aqua. It doesn't.

I don't know why you're argumenting about Terra being irresponsible (which I pretty much said) when my argument was there he's stronger than Aqua, which he is even if she's a Master.

And Ventus characterization was me saying that he was also protected by Aqua in the game in different times.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Nomura really isn't good at writing women....

He's not amaizing at it but he's not usually bad it either.

He does fine when he has someone to help.

Like Xion's pretty good because she's Kanemaki's own character edited by Nomura.

Aqua is inoffensive but can get one noteish at times but then that's most of the original KH characters. She's interesting when she's not thinking about Ven or Terra.

Kairi is just.....badly done. Nomura didn't know what to do with her for a long time after KH1. Olette is a better character than Kairi.

Namine and Larxene are Nomura's best females characters though and both come from Chain of Memories. Whoever helped him there needs to come back.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. SDG were fine as a trio but everything else fell completely flat. There were barely any "arcs" in this game to begin with though.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty disappointed, particularly with the pacing. It would've been nice if all those end fights had happened during the worlds themselves rather than relegated to a non-event boss rush at the end.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the arcs, I honestly think O13 took way too much of the screen time here. There was not space for anything else.

Each world was basically an O13 mini storyline, with the intermission Riku and Mickey stuff in-between worlds.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They just couldn't resist damseling all primary female characters in this game could they?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, everyone execept Kairi. I mean, she did nothing besides the
Saving Sora from dying. Xion was handled much better than her

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Is that mobile game? This series lol. Putting semi important characters in a mobile only game haha.
When your major plot points become references to a mobile game on is expected to play for hours upon hours to understand major plot points and character motivations, your game may have jumped the shark somewhat when it comes to storytelling. And that's after the time travel shark jump...

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. It was pretty bad. It made me happy at the end because everything ends up how you'd expect (well, not everything......) and it was nice to see everybody happy and chillin, but really it wasn't earned with a lot of characters. It was especially stupid to see how certain characters who didn't deserve extra attention get mini redemption scenes, but characters that deserve more attention don't get fully realized arcs or conclusions. It's a pretty big mess.