• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PS4 and Xbox One?

• Yes and kept both

Votes: 626 44.0%
  • Yes and traded one

Votes: 119 8.4%
  • No

Votes: 665 46.8%
  • No but plan on it

Votes: 12 0.8%

• Total voters

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I was able to start working a part time job and make money on my own, I have always been someone that ends the generation having owned every main system. Generally, you pick one at the start, and then at some point, the price drops and enough games are out for the other system that you are interested in that you finally buy the other one. I bought an Xbox in 2004 to play Halo 2, and I bought a PS3 in 2009 because I -really- wanted to play as Joker in Batman Arkham Asylum (10 year older me hates the younger version of myself right now). At the start of the gen, a lot of people made posts that "They were going to get a PS4 OR an Xbox at the start, but that they would eventually end up with both of them", and I was in the same boat- I ended up getting a PS4 about 6 months after launch, because I wanted to play MLB the Show, but figured I would eventually get a Xbox One to play exclusives like Rare Replay and Sunset Overdrive.

Fast-forward to the twilight of this generation, and I never ended up getting an Xbox- we basically had a death of 3rd party exclusives this generation not related to regional issues (ie, stuff like Yakuza or the Atelier games not coming to Xbox cause they were Japan-focused games) this gen, and Microsoft ended up putting all of their stuff on PC, so I could play the exclusives there if I wanted to. Unless I'm at a garage sale and someone has an Xbox One for a ridiculous price, I'm going to end this generation not having one, something that seemed insane to me at the start of it.

Did you end up with both systems this gen?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yup. Had both of them close to their respective launches.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Yep, but I'm not gonna lie, my One S is gathering dust since I own a gaming PC. I bought it shortly before they announced Play Anywhere and it was pretty much a Sunset Overdrive / Lost Odyssey machine.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 since launch, Xbox One X a few months after it's launch.

edit: Oh yeah Switch too of course. But does that count as ''this gen''?

Last edited:

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Picked up an Xbox One at launch, sold it for a PS4, which I then sold for a PS4 Pro at launch and also picked up an Xbox One X shortly after. Got my Pro and the X, seen a lot of enjoyment out of them.

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, only because someone gifted me an Xbox One S, so I used it as my 4K disc player.

And my brother, who's usually an Xbox guy and was this gen, finally bought a PS4 because every game he really wanted was bundled around Black Friday (Spidey and Horizon), and he's stoked to try God of War and Last of Us.

Didn't like MS's output enough to buy an Xbox myself, but kudos for putting the Ultra HD Blu-Ray player in the S because that ended up helping me a lot! =P

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, i'm getting a €99 XB SAD for Christmas because a buddy wants to play Halo 5 in Co-Op ... so, yeah, i guess?

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 at launch along with a Pro when it debuted. X1X in November 2018. Really regret the X purchase. I was expecting all third party games to crush it and it simply hasn't been the case.

goddamnimglam

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but things ending up being cheaper on Xbone make it my winner of the console war. That and I didn't like Bloodbourne.

Both were second hand off amazon. The Xbox One was bought around the time of the S launch so I managed to snag one of the original models for like $110 off amazon warehouse.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Day 1 for both. Not gonna happen next gen tho, I have a decent laptop, will get a PS5 when it has an exclusive that I really wanna play.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
For me it's even worse, I had the four consoles (Xbox One, PS4, PS4 pro and Xbox One X). But I regret nothing!

Drop Dead Ken

Nov 16, 2017
Yes. Purchased both at launch. Initially played my PS4 the most, but that slowly switched to Xbox over the last couple years. Both were great purchases though. Will try and do the same this time also.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yes, 2 first model PS4s, an Xbox One Elite and an Xbox One S. I barely use either Xbox, but the S is only used for 4K discs these days.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Yes. But the PS4 is gathering dust until I unwrap Spiderman at Christmas. I'll sell it after TLOU2.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS4 and Switch.

The Xbox has zero appeal to me. The last time I thought it was worth owning one was Xbox 360.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
No just the ps4. No point getting an xbox as no friends play on it and it doesn't have many exclusives due to the pc.

Oct 30, 2017
Nah. I saw no real reason for both.

The vast majority of my friends migrated to PS4. As they have gone digital and with BC confirmed, I doubt many will deviate away from the PS ecosystem now.
Almost none of my friends owned both an Xbox and a PS4.

I'd prefer not to pay for Plus and Gold. The Xbox had a handful of nice exclusives. But I'm drowning in a backlog of Sony first party titles in addition to third party titles for the system.

The growing inclusion of cross play is also nice. Last generation I owned both the PS3 and 360 versions of Modern Warfare 2 to play with friends. That's no longer necessary.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
PS4 and Switch here. Xbox has no exclusives that I care for. However, If I had money to burn, I would get it for the Game Pass

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, just PS4. Xbox's exclusives didn't seem worth the console asking price to me. Could definitely change next gen with GP and if they can deliver a really good slate of exclusives.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I may have if I didn't have to upgrade my PS4 to a Pro mid-gen. I don't know how I'd find time to play all three consoles though.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is the first gen in 20+ years or so where I haven't had all of the systems (last time was when I didn't have a Sega Saturn). Skipped the XB1.. just never felt like it was especially compelling. I was moderately tempted by that upgrade deal but then I saw that it seems like the 2-year contract starts over with the Scarlett and just decided it was not worth it.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
Launch PS4 still going strong, then I got an xbox one s around launch for $120 thanks to a price mistake at target. Already owned a gaming pc so my Xbox has been gathering dust. Fully planning on only having a PS5 and my PC for next gen.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Recently got a PS4 pro cause i missed out on first party PS4 games. I must say its a great console. The problem is psn store is full of games i already own on PC and same with Whats on Psn now. My PC eyes also allowed me to notice many different graphical downgrades compare to PC versions as i played some of these none exclusive games. All and all the pro convince me to invest into a PS5 early.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
No. Got both PS360 last gen and in the end mostly played one of them, so this time I only got one and don't regret it one bit. I may miss an exclusive here and there but lack the time to play all I wanna play anyway so ...

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
got neither yet, wanna get a PS4 soon for Shenmue and the last guardian... wish they'd make a portable /hybrid version of the console somehow. I never play games at home anymore, no time ...

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
Yep. I got an Xbox One in 2015 then a PS4 a year later when the slim released. Glad to have both, mostly play exclusives on the PS4 then all my third party stuff on Xbox because I much prefer the Xbox controller. Overall happy with both and feel like I've got my money's worth

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Xbox One (upgrading from fat to S to X) and Switch, I don't care about Sony's games.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Had both at one point, but got rid of my Xbox One S once I was done with Halo and Forza Horizon 3. There wasn't enough exclusives for me to keep it as well as XBL.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Crossing my fingers that the launch PS4 that I use regularly survives until the end of the gen

Always thought I'd get an Xbox one eventually, but never quite cracked (gamepass being the main draw at the moment), got a new PC 2 years ago, so get some of the exclusives that way

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Kept getting the Xbox consoles (one, s, x) on top of my PS4/ pro, but always ended up hardly using them and passed them on to family/ friends.
It's seems I can't keep my interest for Xbox at the moment.
I will most likely give series x a go purely because I have game pass ultimate until 2022 and hopefully all the new studios and their games can keep me interested, but at the moment I'm thinking of staying with a single consoles (ps5) next generation

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a PS4 at launch, then I got a Pro for Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Wasn't going to get a Xbox One, but then a buddy needed help moving and paid me with... an Xbox One. Traded that up for a 1S, then traded that up for the 1X when Gamestop had a great deal on it.

So, I've had both base consoles since 2015, and both refreshes since the end of 2017.