• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd get high and make big dumb smiles a lot of the time.

...How can you not??

Honey Bee was ridiculous enough in '97, but the game chews the scenery so much now it was honestly so fun.

77cbe03c378c87d4f12c86f8d6beadb0.gif

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
No, I didn't finish it so I didn't see a scene with certain deaths but I'm not likely to cry just because a game I like has been remade

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
no i didn't cry but i loved every second of it. to me, the best exclusives on ps4 are God of War Ghost of Tsushima and FF7R

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I came close during the demo when looking up at the first reactor, but the main game was a massive disappointment.

The stilted dialogue and delivery made it hard to connect with the characters for the most part.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I did shed a few tears during the opening. That massive nostalgia wave, combined with that music, really did a number on me. The original PS1 FF7 has a special place in my heart, and FF7R pulls no punches when it comes to exploiting nostalgia for maximum effect.

The rest of the way, I was mostly just shedding tears about having bought the Deluxe Edition. Should have just picked up the standard edition or borrowed a friend's copy.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Oh yeah quite a few times. I'm fairly emotional when it comes to games and FFVII is my favourite game of all time.

Isotope

Nov 7, 2017
No (never played the OG FF7 until playing it much later, so I have no nostalgia for it), but my first time hearing Aerith's Theme (and times after that) made me smile.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I did not cry, but damn I did feel a rush of nostalgia-fueled emotion with many themes and scenes. Probably the most emotion I felt with a game.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Yes, multiple times for moments where I was attached / grown to like certain characters / situations that were originally more of a footnote due to limitations of budget / technology / dev cycle.

Plenty of people here may not gel with it, but the folks saying "no lol its a videogame" are basically admitting they are incapable of empathy.

Having watched many others play it, including some who never played the original... it was interesting to see how they reacted differently, or not at all in some situations.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Yeah, in quite a few spots. Never played the original before and people spoil the game everywhere without care so some stuff didn't have any impact.

One part really got me though.
When Biggs is alive at the end. People have spoiled Avalanche's fate for me so I found it hard to care about them when I knew they were gonna die.
I was so relieved when I saw that though that I cried. I love those characters.

Blugrass

Oct 25, 2017
def got teary eyed at some parts, especially in tifa's bar and moments with aerith. Nostalgia is a crazy thing especially when combined with how cutting edge the game was and the new elements it introduced

njean777

Jan 2, 2020
I didn't cry, but man the feels inside where nice. I really want to see what they are gonna do with a ps5 version, hopefully it will be free for people who bought it on ps4 (doubt it).

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't cry but I was certainly taken aback by the game quite a bit during my first playthrough. Mostly just astounded at how good it looked, how good it played & still not believing that I lived long enough for it to actually exist and be as high quality as it was.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think Aeriths Chapter 14 scene got me choked up and misty eyed (the dream sequence). It has a lot of imagery and allusion to certain key elements in the original, and her statements about cherishing the time she had with Cloud hit on a ton of levels as someone nostalgic for the original. The music during that scene was a wonderful take on her theme as well. Shame some people would otherwise miss this scene if they favored Tifa more.

Outside of that, I think the ending sequence got to me as well just feeling this simultaneous sense of excitement about this "new journey" and remembering the same feeling in the OG of like "wow, we're outside Midgar, what adventure lies ahead?". That nostalgic feeling resonated hard.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Yup. To see how they turned my favorite game into such an embarrassment (not all of it, it's still a good game but with a good portion of cringy stuff) still makes me sad.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't cry during the game, but I often shed a few tears listening to the soundtrack outside of the game, remembering the emotional moments I did have with both the remake and the original. I do that with a lot of game soundtracks, lol.

This thread actually inspired me to start another (4th) playthrough of FF7 Remake, and I certainly did get emotional during some parts of the intro.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Teared up a bit due to unexpected nostalgia couple of times.

Cried like a baby during end credits. Couldn't believe how good it was. Ended up loving all the characters even more this time. Can't wait for part II!

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Maybe cry because after fighting the airbuster the game got pretty bad imho. Before t his the game was spectectular. But I didnt really get emotionally involved.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the last scene made me cry:

That part about Zack being alive. I haven't played the original FFVII and Crisis Core, but knew a little about Zack and that scene was really effective for me, alongside its beautiful song of credits.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Got teary at times, but didn't straight up cry. Some parts could be improved, but still loved the game.
Probably my GOTY if not for TLOU2 ( which did make me cry )

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Little teary eyed when meeting Aerith for the first time, same with Tifa and Marlene, the music really hits it home.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
No but what moment was really specifically trying to make you cry? I can only think of one
jessie and biggs "dying" on the tower
but that was a swing and a miss for me.

Primeau31

Nov 18, 2017
Yeah, I absolutely lost it at the opening and so many more times throughout the game I weeped.

I fucking loved it.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to amend my previous statement: my eyes did tear up a bit when starting the demo for the first time, watching the intro and realizing I was finally in control. But then I found the combat a bit frustrating with Barret and the dialogue not super great and the animations awkward and too emphasized and then the game came out and was worse than I was expecting even though I was bracing for it to be not great. Still enjoyed it a bit, but it was really disappointing despite not expecting much. Like I said, though, they did get me with that demo at first.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't cry.

But because I didn't cry doesn't mean I wasn't moved.

The game is brimming with heart and a rare type of sincerity missing in most AAA games.

Bloodshed

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't till the end, I think it was the soundtracl more than anything thought, it's a fantastic soundtrack

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Still tryna figure out why some of you are so eager to let people know how much you didn't like something, to the point of saying "I cried cuz it was so bad lol!!"

Do you not realize how annoying you're being by doing that?

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
No. I've cried when playing games before for a variety of reasons over the years(Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Florence, Gone Home, and a bunch of others) but FF7R didn't do anything for me.

A lot of the emotional beats of the OG game just didn't hit as hard here. I found the cutscene direction and voices to be way too stilted to really be affecting, especially given the far more effective storytelling that's happened in other games I've played. FFVIIR felt more awkward to me than anything.

The game overall felt like the videogame version of the Disney live action remakes. It's a completely functional game and there are parts of it that are very enjoyable but it trades nostalgia through music and familiarity to do something which felt utterly bizarre from a storytelling and gameplay pacing perspective. I'm sure we'll see how it plays out in future episodes but outside of maybe the first hour or so (where I had a grin on my face), I mostly felt disappointed.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I don't recall specific parts where I cried, but this game is so full of heart, so full of delightful moments, endearing characters, and lovingly crafted details, that thinking on the experience as a whole is very moving.

The music definitely makes me tear up. The characters' voices are enough to give me a wave of warm nostalgia. The whole game is such a beautiful love letter to the original. And on top of that, the devs nailed the combat so damn well it's crazy. FF7R is so much better than I expected.

Still tryna figure out why some of you are so eager to let people know how much you didn't like something, to the point of saying "I cried cuz it was so bad lol!!"
Haters love to broadcast their awful taste and impoverished inner lives for some reason.

"Heh, I didn't enjoy this great thing at all! In fact, this great thing is terribad in all aspects actually! I was bored and annoyed the whole time!" šŸ˜

Sad.

Jun 17, 2018
Of boredom? Almost...

I rarely connect with games on that level. The only times I remember feeling some emotion towards a game were BioShock Infinite and God of War 2018 at the end.

Oct 25, 2017
No, but The Honeybee Inn came very close to making me cry. I had high hopes for that moment, and they gave me more than I knew I wanted. I'll never forget how happy that scene made me.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. But then I only played it for an hour or so after the first mission was done. Not for me. Will replay the original some time this year. Maybe. Nice graphics though. (All except for Cloud. I just do not like his model for some reason.)

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There were several moments where I've had tears in my eyes, e.g. seeing Tifa and the 7th Heaven for the first time or Jessie's death.
Probably one of the most emotional games ever for me personally, even though the writing isn't always stellar.