• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Less but more, photomodes have taken over as my addiction however I'm apart of a Discord community that is very into getting trophies so it really just comes down to how I feel.

ronabs

Mar 15, 2018
I still enjoy getting them, but my backlog exploded in the last 3-4 years, so, I rather play something new than keep playing something just to get a little more Gs/trophies.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Way too much.

Switching from Xbox 360 to PS4 as my main console this generation, the "Platinum" trophy really tickled my completionist bone, to a detriment.

Like, i actively look up whether or not a game is (realistically) platinumable before doing certain impulse buys on sales.

Strongly thinking about switching back to Xbox next gen (also due to Game Pass... and my ever decreasing time spent playing games) to free myself of the baggage of my 'platinum trophy' track record.
920 / 1000 is so much more 'acceptable' to me than 'still lacking the platinum trophy'.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I stopped caring. The reason: I have less time but enough money to get new games.
Back when I was at school I couldn't afford many new games so I had to squeeze every hour out of it. Also I only used to play on one platform back then. Now with using multiple consoles I just can't care about any scores whatsoever.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I got bored this gen because the following in games just annoys me for trophies:
Grinding
Hidden Collectables
Missable trophies on things that can't be easily replayed

Multiplayer trophies I just ignore as I'm not an MP guy but that doesn't really hurt my fun. But hidden collectibles just suck so bad, I think GTAIV broke me, but I find looking for those things, especially something like in Uncharted just breaks the pace and fun of the game, referring to a guide or replaying levels just for hidden shit.

Grinding is self explanitory, but who really wants to level up all the characters in Travis Strikes Again when a successful run of the game doesn't even give me enough XP to get just Travis fully leveled up.

So yeah, these days its just Yakuza really (Because its the one series I love doing absolutely everything on) and Capcom games that I bother with. Everything else I just play for fun.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I will use them to extend a life of a game I am enjoying. But I don't really care for them. I find it a good opportunity to catch up some podcasts though if I did go for the plat.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Much, much less now. I had 130 games at 100% on xbox 360 vs 14 platinum trophies this gen. Life changes as we get older. The less you care about them - the better. Some games require ridiculous amount of time for 100%.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I was going to say I care less, but with MS Rewards, I get paid to get achievements now. So I care a lot, lot more, actually.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Less, on 360 I cared about overall score a fair bit but I split my time more equally between systems this gen so none of the systems have a decent tally anymore.

Oct 1, 2019
I became a trophy hunter this gen so I really like this system. I feel really satisfied once I unlock the platinum of a game that I really like.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
I don't chase them but the sound that pops when you get a diamond (rare) achievement on Xbox is sogood.gif

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Pretty much the same. Always liked achievement hunting. Only thing that changed was the platforms so basically just went from occasional achievement hunting to occasional trophy hunting.

JED BARTLETT

Oct 27, 2017
Belfast
Way less, never cared about Trophies, and still don't. But I did enjoy Achievements. Microsoft just devalued they so much this gen. 1000 points for every game coupled with Achievements for watching TV. Add in the fact it took ages to compare mine with other people and I couldn't be arsed with it this gem.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Much less. Went from loving them to feeling like they are mostly a waste of time. I note them when I get them, but that's a bout it. Don't actively go out of my way to get them.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
FAR less. Playing so much on Switch broke the spell, and ironically, probably ended up saving me a lot of time.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Less. I don't have time for do achievements, plus I find them a waste of effort.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When the Xbox 360 first came out I liked them for about a month then never thought about them again. They add nothing in my opinion. In fact, they just feel like chores.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Still enjoy them, for the most part. I have gotten better about just putting a game down if I start to hate it though, so there are less instances of me wanting to jettison a game into the sun after getting the platinum/100%

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
From a game dev point of view, the work that was done in regards to first party achievements has now moved in-game. First party achievements are far less interesting, relevant, and valuable compared to making in-game persistence and engagement systems. Thus overall, there is a lot less care and focus put on first party achievements.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I have never had the desire to collect trophies outside of what I run into on a general play through. While it can be fun for games like Forza Horizon I rarely find any enjoyment from replaying single player titles on repeat to unlock a single trophy. That being said it's fun to see some sort of scalable metric I can use to track the games I've played.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be obsessed over them, but lately there have been so many super difficult games (COD Black Ops 4) or just extremely grindy games that I've stopped caring about them last year. But most importantly, I started to believe that it is simply wrong that you are forced to buy a subscription service (PS Plus to play online) to 100% complete some games.

Now I'm rid of my trophy obsession and I've switched to PC gaming where cheevos just don't matter as they're easily hacked anyway.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Never cared enough to go out of my way, and still don't. I'm a couple of hours or less from Platinuming a dozen games, at least, but why bother when I have other hobbies and back log? Experimenting and finding weird/creative ways to engage with mechanics is how I play naturally. Trophies/Achievements never introduce me to new or novel ways to approach game, they simply turn them turn these tedious, grindy checklist exercises. No thanks.

That said I can appreciate the record keeping aspect. It's nice to have a little log of what you played and when.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Less. I used to hate when guest would play on my account and unlock trophies. Now I don't care what my kids play and unlock, I'm too tired.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never gave a shit about achievements, except for the very rare occasion when a game does something cool with them. Wandersong for example

OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
From a game dev point of view, the work that was done in regards to first party achievements has now moved in-game. First party achievements are far less interesting, relevant, and valuable compared to making in-game persistence and engagement systems. Thus overall, there is a lot less care and focus put on first party achievements.

Battle passes and in-game rewards have essentially replaced the system for me. I can either throw my character off a ledge 1000 times in single player, or gain XP in COD/BF/Fortnite/Destiny/etc. and unlock that item I really want. Having a tangible reward for my time feels damn good.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
I care more because I have the feeling they're more easy to obtain this gen. Last gen I tried to 100%/Plat some games but never done it, this gen I have some Plat and 100% games on Xbox. I try to see the trophies/achievements as something who push me to discover/explore a game and all it offers.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I enjoy unlocking achievements, but i don't seek them on purpose. To me it's just a funny gimmick that sometimes pops-up when i achieve a certain number of "score points" or while doing something silly.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
When I changed my PS4Pro I have hidden the trophies pop up and didnt even noticed... so I can say that I care less... I feel even better playing without the hurge to check trophies.

Oct 27, 2017
I have been "in" on achievements for longer, and there's still a part of me that gets tickled seeing the number get higher that speaks to me more than the trophy level stuff. Really it comes down to the game though.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Less time for games means I only platinum those where is it feasible/I really want to spend more time with the game. Overall I still really like having a record of what I have accomplished (don't care about overall score) and I wish Nintendo would implement their own system.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about them at all anymore.
I purely game for my own fun these days. I will push myself because i know from experience that that's rewarding. But i pay zero attention to trophies and achievements. But in the years of the 360 and PS3 i did like to hunt for them and get 100% sometimes.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
More, because of games like Resogun and Bloodborne, where the process didn't feel grindy. Partly because the first half of this gen rejuvenated my interest for the hobby. Yeah, that's possible even after spending around 30 years gaming.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only game I cared about achievement hunting in the last decade or so was Celeste, which was honestly just an excuse to replay the game. I think achievements are fine when implemented into some games, but I've never liked them being in all games.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
About the same I'd say. There are some games that I'm replaying now like Stardew Valley, that I own on PC and PS4. But I'm choosing to play the PS4 version because of the trophies.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
It had an impact when I went from 360 as my main console over ps3 to ps4 as my main console over Xbone. Then I swapped back to Xbone recently thanks to Game Pass.

My achievements are scattered all over the place now, so I can't really use it as a metric anymore.

But yes, I like them.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Less, as in on PS3 I tried to Platinum everything, I don't do that now but I still do go for trophies as long as they aren't stupid grindy or making me do something I don't really want to do.

I will still get a game on PS4 over anything else 100% of the time because of trophies though. Switch and Xbox are exclusives only because of it.

I was a bit into trophy hunting for a few years. Felt pointless after a while, in terms of basic xbox/PSN/Steam achievements.

I really like achievement systems that tie into some sort of tangible reward in games, even if it's just say, experience points. For instance hunting and adventure logs in Final Fantasy 14.

Achievements would be a nice record of accomplishments, but far too many sets are polluted with pure filler. Usually some dumb "kill 5,000 of this one enemy". And online achievements are the worst. Many games out there have permanently broken achievement lists due to their online components being shut down.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
ive never cared about them, nor do i intend to start. i dont hate the system and think it certainly provides a fun and interesting conceit for getting the most out of your games, just not for me. i rarely have time or energy to play the games i play for my own basic enjoyment, let alone trying to 100% it.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I was never into them that much but I am definitely less into them than I used to be. I just don't have the time to grind everything out and even if I did I would just prefer to move on to the next game. For me 100% has never been the goal, beating the game is the goal.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Weren't Microsoft supposedly revamping achievements to offer something more valuable like rewards points. Or has that become part of the Rewards app that exists now?