• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I recently purchased a model 1 Genesis to start building my real life tower, but I never actually beat the original Sonic. I owned it multiple times, but I never sat down to play it seriously to beat it. Here I am a few attempts later, with the soundtrack stuck in my head and I can't beat the game with the limited continues. Those last few levels suck.

I cheated to at least beat them in order. Thanks for the level select code....but damn, I know it doesn't matter, but I'm gonna keep trying to play this and beat it in one go. It's kind of annoying how the levels are spread out compared to Mario, but it's....satisfying in a way. It's bothering me to try to beat it in one go. It doesn't matter, but you all don't need me to explain that feeling of not wanting to be defeated by whatever game you're playing. Never was a Sega kid growing up, but I've made some posts lately about how I missed out and have been obsessed with Sega lately. I'm really enjoying playing this one game over and over again. I'm eventually gonna get more games, the Sega CD (already got a 32X hooked up) but damn I love everything about this console. Outdated? Pfft.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Never beat the Sonic 2 final boss on original hardware, but did it eventually on Sonic Jam and other versions.

Kinda feel like those games weren't really designed to be beat on first play, you're supposed to get better at the games with practice, and find more and more secrets/shortcuts to make it easier as you explore over time.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I beat all of them numerous times. I thought they were among the easier platformers of the era.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I beat them all too many times to count, but I never came close to collecting all of the emeralds in any of them.

M-TRNL

Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
I know I beat 2 and 3 on Genesis but I'm not sure if 1 was there or on Mega Collection. 2 took me a long time, that final stretch is pretty rough. Now Knuckles was all Mega Collection and it was great.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I beat Sonic 1, 2 and CD

3 & Knuckles is too long for its own good though, I like Sonic games but I don't like playing too many levels of a single game

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
I've completed the first 2 tons of times. 3 not so much due to the lack of reissues.
Love the first games soundtrack so much, makes up for some of the iffy levels or enemy placement.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I've beaten all of them as a kid. At one point I had files with all emeralds on all characters on 3 & Knuckles and then one day it got deleted..... 😭

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
Try to explore nooks and crannies to find as many extra life boxes as possible, and be as thorough as you can about collecting rings. Remember that getting 100 earns an extra life so it's worth trying to achieve that in each act.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I played them all on Genesis beat replayed them all multiple times on Mega Collection for Gamecube. 3&K became my favorite 2D platformer by far and its the one of the original trilogy that I will always be happy to replay.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I bet them on *Jeremy Parish voice* Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on PS3

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yes to Sonic 1, 2, 3, and SK standalone

I never beat the Sonic 3&K complete.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I beat all of em, including with Super Sonic in Sonic 2 & 3.

In the day that really wasn't a huge ask. It's like beating all the levels In Mario 3 or so. I beat Sonic 3 on my 2nd rental. Sonic 2 I owned.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
i only owned sonic 1+2 but beat them both multiple times.

i played the first so much and got so good at it there was a sega bus at a fair/show and each person was given 5 minutes to get as high a score as you can,i destroyed everyone by miles.

all i got was a certificate.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, and while I have deep nostalgia for 1 and 2, I think I enjoyed 3 the most (which I played about a decade ago for the first time). As an aside, I think CD is pretty overrated.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
The one Genesis game I never did beat was 3D Blast. It wasn't hard, but it had no saves and was too boring for me to want to do it all in one sitting. I'd always get sick of it by the third zone.

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic 2 is the only one I have beat, and that was only with the M2 SEGA AGES version on Switch a short while ago. Kind of annoying that the game is basically super easy up until the last couple of stages. Oh, and this was with completely ignoring chaos emeralds.

Sonic games have never been very enjoyable to me actually.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Only one I played was Sonic 3 & Knuckles on PC. Back then when I was a kid, finished Knuckles with the Hyper Emerald. Got stuck as Sonic and Tails because... you know well why, Barrel of Doom. Dunno how, but years later managed to glitch it and skip it, so I managed to finish the game with Sonic. Years later, I finally understand how to legit beat the barrel.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Beat all 3 + Knuckles numerous times.

Kills me that I never finished Sonic CD, though. By the time I finally got to play it, on a Gamecube collection or something, the ship had long since sailed and I got bored after a few levels.

Last edited:

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Only Sonic 3, Knuckles, and combined, because of saving (and playing with my childhood best friend helped, as I was extremely young!). I have beaten Sonic 2 later in life but I think I used save states. So maybe at some I'll buckle up, buy the Switch ports, and play Sonic 1 and 2 for reals!

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Sonic 3 & Knuckles many times.

Never beat 1 or 2, how could just have so much time to sit in front of a TV even as a kid is beyond me

Aug 27, 2018
I beat Sonic 1 and 2. I probably would have eventually finished 3 but I got stuck at that barrel every time I played and never went back.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
All of them multiple times. As a kid, as an adult. I love those original Sonic games!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nope; get somewhere toward the middle/end and then quit to play something else, only to repeat a few months or a year later. Been doing it since I was a child. Will probably do it until I die.

I've done the same with most Super Mario games, too.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
They were already way easier than the average NES game, so yeah.

Sonic 3 having a save system made it much easier than the previous two as well.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I only beat the first two legitimately when I was in my early teens. I had to use cheat codes for Sonic 3 though (thanks fuckin' barrel in pre-internet days) and never played Sonic & Knuckles.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I probably did, though I almost certainly never unlocked Super Sonic through normal means. The special stages are all kinda awful. I only just managed it in the Sega Ages port of 2 thanks to save states.

Excited to play 3 through again for the first time in something like 15 years. I only have the vaguest memories of the later levels.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, all of them. 2+3&Knuckles even with all Emeralds. But I never finished Sonic 1 in one go. I finished all stages at least once but I skipped to later ones with a cheat because I didn't want to replay all the levels before. Sonic 1 is also easily the worst of the first 4.