• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was not aware of this. I only happen to know because I saw someone on Twitter saying they were enjoying playing Panzer Dragoon Remake on the Xbox One. Last news I saw was that it was coming to the PS4 with a later date for the Xbox One.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah it's been occupying my wishlist for almost 2 months on Xbox.

I think I only found it completely by fluke in the New Games section of the Xbox Store. I didn't see a press release or a thread about it here.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 and PC versions "coming soon" was announced on September 11, released for PC on September 25 and PS4 on September 28. Xbox One version was also announced on September 11, but said to be after PS4 and PC. The Xbox One version's December 11 release date was announced on December 1.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I had no idea it was out, I was interested in getting it but not following.

I remember earlier on keeping tabs but it always just said "coming soon" everywhere, so I thought it was a long way off.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
Lol, didn't notice it at all.
Nintendo had it in a Direct, but the others seemingly didn't market it that much.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
It released in a disheartening state, but after a few patches it got to an alright point. On PC it's fine so long as you jive with the new art direction and can forgive it not feeling 1:1 like the original still, and I imagine that means it's the same on PS4/X1. I would recommend it as it is now.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It has not been received all too well, which is a shame.
I liked it. PC version.

But, not to insult the devs, but it should have been Bluepoint in all honestly.

And yes, it's very short. It's a 1995 rail shooter/arcadey game that was meant to be beaten in one sitting (there wasn't even a save feature on the original), so, yeah. If you're (general "you") not OK with 1995 arcadey game lengths, it might not be worth the full price for you.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big Panzer Dragoon fanboy so I've played it on Stadia, bought a physical copy on the Switch and pre-ordered a physical copy on the Quadruple. Will probably buy it digitally too on Xbox One but I always have the time to wait for price drops on digital games.

I think it's a great remake although I didn't play it at launch so I can't speak for how it was then. They did an excellent job at subtly touching up the game's lovely art without making it feel gaudy. The game plays and sounds great too. Well worth picking up when it goes on sale if you aren't already a fan of the series.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. PC version.

But, not to insult the devs, but it should have been Bluepoint in all honestly.

And yes, it's very short. It's a 1995 rail shooter/arcadey game that was meant to be beaten in one sitting (there wasn't even a save feature on the original), so, yeah. If you're (general "you") not OK with 1995 arcadey game lengths, it might not be worth the full price for you.
Would have probably been exclusive then, so no.

I liked it for what it was. Have a digital and physical copy.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
wait is this the original panzer dragoon or panzer dragoon aorta? if the latter, i thought it was released a long time ago?

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
So since the first game unlocks in Orta, and there's a bit of a meh response to the remake, better to stick to the Orta version, realistically, since it's free?

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
wait is this the original panzer dragoon or panzer dragoon aorta? if the latter, i thought it was released a long time ago?
This is a remake of the first one.
Yep! It's also getting a physical version from Limited Run Games on PS4 and Switch with a Sega Saturn replica cover and case. But it looks like it's sold out now.

https://limitedrungames.com/product...assic-edition-ps4?_pos=8&_sid=d51b57875&_ss=r
The Switch one sold out sometime last year, and the PS4 versions just stopped being on sale this past Sunday. So if anyone wants a physical and is eBay avoidant there are still some exclusive limited physical versions the publisher themselves put on sale last month. Just Switch copies, though.
https://forever-limited.com/18,panzer-dragoon-remake-un_ltd-ns.html
https://forever-limited.com/19,panzer-dragoon-remake-ltd-ns.html
https://forever-limited.com/20,panzer-dragoon-remake-excl-ns.html

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I had my eyes on it but the reviews are lukewarm and I'd rather not taint my memories. Though true remakes of PD/Zwei would be fantastic. Orta is the best shooter, and MS should release it on PC Gamepass.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I had my eyes on it but the reviews are lukewarm and I'd rather not taint my memories. Though true remakes of PD/Zwei would be fantastic. Orta is the best shooter, and MS should release it on PC Gamepass.
Orta is a Sega game through and through. Published by Sega on disc on Xbox and published by Sega digitally on Xbox One as well. Sega should definitely port it to all platforms though and then release it on Game Pass, Stadia, Luna, PS Now and everywhere. That game is a real classic.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only reason I knew it came out was because of people being pissed about the "Play for 100 hours" achievement lol

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
Pop your physical disk in if you have it. No need to buy it again.

It'll read the disk and then just download the updated Enhanced version.
I guess this would be a good opportunity for me to get a better understanding of how backward compatibility works across the Xbox console generations, as I've only owned the Xbox and Xbox 360.

Using Panzer Dragoon Orta as an example, this is what I understand (feel free to elaborate and/or correct):

On Xbox
I can play from the physical disc.

On Xbox 360
I can play from the purchased digital version. (Marketplace says this is also One compatible. Does this mean there aren't two distinctly different digital versions for the 360 and One?)

On Xbox One
Can I play from the disc, or does it download the digital version and play from this?
Does it play better on the One than it does on the 360?
If the One does play the digital version better, I assume it's because the One hardware is providing enhancements to the 360/One digital version?

On Series X
I can use the physical disc to download the enhanced digital version, and play from this.
Is this enhanced digital version different from the 360/One digital version? In other words, is the Series X digital version itself unique from the 360/One digital version, or do they all share the same digital version and the Series X hardware applies the enhancements?
And does the Series X play the game with further improvements over the One?

With backward compatibility spanning several generations, it gets me rather confused. =/

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I had my eyes on it but the reviews are lukewarm and I'd rather not taint my memories.

It's worth noting that almost all of the reviews are for the Switch version, which released early before most of the features were implemented (remastered soundtrack, gyro aiming, better aiming reticule and dragon movement, etc). It's in a much better place at the moment.

Oct 29, 2017
I guess this would be a good opportunity for me to get a better understanding of how backward compatibility works across the Xbox console generations, as I've only owned the Xbox and Xbox 360.

Using Panzer Dragoon Orta as an example, this is what I understand (feel free to elaborate and/or correct):

On Xbox

On Xbox 360
I can play from the purchased digital version. (Marketplace says this is also One compatible. Does this mean there aren't two distinctly different digital versions for the 360 and One?)

On Xbox One
Can I play from the disc, or does it download the digital version and play from this?
If the One does play the digital version better, I assume it's because the One hardware is providing enhancements to the 360/One digital version?

On Series X
I can use the physical disc to download the enhanced digital version, and play from this.
Is this enhanced digital version different from the 360/One digital version? In other words, is the Series X digital version itself unique from the 360/One digital version, or do they all share the same digital version and the Series X hardware applies the enhancements?

With backward compatibility spanning several generations, it gets me rather confused. =/

It's all one version of the game on the MS Store (i.e., if you buy Panzer Dragoon Orta it will play on Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S with whatever enhancements each hardware platform is capable of applying.)

You can play BC games from a disc but Xbox One and Series X|S will be required to download the game the first time you put the disc in. The disc acts as an unlock key from then on.

All original Xbox games are enhanced to 4K on Xbox One X. For Xbox 360 and above, it depends on the game and you can get the details here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

The list of Xbox and Xbox 360 games that are BC on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S is here: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/backward-compatibility

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

On Xbox

On Xbox 360

On Xbox One

On Series X

Remember Xbox One as well as PS4 does not read discs to play games. They install them to the hard drive and reads from there. The BC emulation used on Xbox One are individual emulator wrappers uniquely tweaked for and wrapped around each specific individual digital version of the game. So if you're using a physical disc then it reads the disc as a key that unlocks the BC digital version and allows you to download and play it digitally while the disc is in the drive.

Xbox One (X) Benefits of Backwards Compatible Titles

By default all Xbox 360 games that are BC receive the following enhancements on a base Xbox One or S model:
  • Improved framerate stability
  • Faster loading
  • Games utilizing a dynamic resolution will hit their max resolution more often, or at all times
  • Forced V-sync
  • 4x the original resolution for original Xbox games
  • Variable refresh rate compatibility (when used with a compatible display)
Exclusive additional benefits for Xbox One X
Xbox One X adds additional benefits with original Xbox games, upping the resolution to 16x that of the original game, allowing for native 4K or 1920p resolutions.

There are also a handful of specific Xbox 360 games with Xbox One X enhancements. These require significant additional work but allow for native 4K resolutions, better texture filtering, smoother framerates and even added HDR. These are considered by many to be a unique feature of the Xbox One X and for some even system sellers. However these require a lot of testing, optimization and approval from the original creatures. Currently there are only 39 titles supported:

Assassin's Creed
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts
Civilization Revolution
Crackdown
Darksiders
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable Anniversary
Fable 2
Fable 3
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Forza Horizon
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Halo 3
Kameo Elements of Power
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Mirror's Edge
Ninja Gaiden II
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Portal: Still Alive
Portal 2
Red Dead Redemption
Skate 3
Sonic Generations
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Splinter Cell Conviction
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
The Orange Box
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Viva Pinata
Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise

Credit to MauroNL

Xbox Series X also adds Auto HDR at a system level to most BC games.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
It's all one version of the game on the MS Store (i.e., if you buy Panzer Dragoon Orta it will play on Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S with whatever enhancements each hardware platform is capable of applying.)

You can play BC games from a disc but Xbox One and Series X|S will be required to download the game the first time you put the disc in. The disc acts as an unlock key from then on.

All original Xbox games are enhanced to 4K on Xbox One X. For Xbox 360 and above, it depends on the game and you can get the details here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

The list of Xbox and Xbox 360 games that are BC on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S is here: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/backward-compatibility
Remember Xbox One as well as PS4 does not read discs to play games. They install them to the hard drive and reads from there. The BC emulation used on Xbox One are individual emulator wrappers uniquely tweaked for and wrapped around each specific individual digital version of the game. So if you're using a physical disc then it reads the disc as a key that unlocks the BC digital version and allows you to download and play it digitally while the disc is in the drive.

Xbox One (X) Benefits of Backwards Compatible Titles

By default all Xbox 360 games that are BC receive the following enhancements on a base Xbox One or S model:
  • Improved framerate stability
  • Faster loading
  • Games utilizing a dynamic resolution will hit their max resolution more often, or at all times
  • Forced V-sync
  • 4x the original resolution for original Xbox games
  • Variable refresh rate compatibility (when used with a compatible display)
Exclusive additional benefits for Xbox One X
Xbox One X adds additional benefits with original Xbox games, upping the resolution to 16x that of the original game, allowing for native 4K or 1920p resolutions.

There are also a handful of specific Xbox 360 games with Xbox One X enhancements. These require significant additional work but allow for native 4K resolutions, better texture filtering, smoother framerates and even added HDR. These are considered by many to be a unique feature of the Xbox One X and for some even system sellers. However these require a lot of testing, optimization and approval from the original creatures. Currently there are only 39 titles supported:

Assassin's Creed
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts
Civilization Revolution
Crackdown
Darksiders
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable Anniversary
Fable 2
Fable 3
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Forza Horizon
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Halo 3
Kameo Elements of Power
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Mirror's Edge
Ninja Gaiden II
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Portal: Still Alive
Portal 2
Red Dead Redemption
Skate 3
Sonic Generations
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Splinter Cell Conviction
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
The Orange Box
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Viva Pinata
Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise

Credit to MauroNL

Xbox Series X also adds Auto HDR at a system level to most BC games.
Thanks for the info! At this point, the largest draw for me to getting a Series X would be for BC for my existing OG Xbox and 360 games. I'd love to finally put those two consoles in storage, but I'm afraid some OG Xbox games will be stuck there.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
yup! and i bought it on the PS winter sale

all i need now is for a remaster of Panzer dragoon Zwei

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the PC version when it released. Some rough edges here and there, but it's pretty much a miracle that we received anything Panzer Dragoon related in this day and age.

If it's true that MegaPixel is working on a Zwei remake, then I seriously hope they put more effort into that project than they did with PD1.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
This is the first time I'm hearing of an Xbox one version. I was waiting for this to come over too

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I bought the PC version when it released. Some rough edges here and there, but it's pretty much a miracle that we received anything Panzer Dragoon related in this day and age.
It is kinda crazy that after all this time we got not only this game, but will also get a full remake of Zwei and a VR game containing scenes from all three Saturn games. 2+ years ago if someone told me that we'd be getting a partially Panzer Dragoon Saga-themed VR spinoff in ~2021-2 I'd just laugh them out of the room.