• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Well, COVID drove us to pick up new hobbies or work on backlogs and things while we were staying at home... a lot... I know at the start, I'm sure a lot of people were like "I'm going to play through all my games!" or "I'm going to start getting into x hobby!" But, were you able to fill the time and accomplish these goals (whatever they might be)?

I love media with tv/movies/games/books/whatever, and go back and forth with them, so I never really get bored on any single one. With full-time work and going to the gyms, seeing friends on weekends etc., I got behind on a lot of shows and things. So, I figured I'd dig into my tv/movie/anime/manga/game backlog and try and get through a bunch of stuff! Did I make it? Well, sort of. I ended up watching through WAY more anime and catching up, than even when I was in high school, it feels like :x Also watching through a lot of tv shows and movies with my SO, that have been sitting on "will watch at some point" lists for a while. Games? I... had hoped to get through more backlog, but I ended up choosing games that were waaaay more lengthy than I had thought, so that didn't exactly pan out as I had hoped :p Still, I think I got a good amount of games beat during the year, so happy with that.

Still, the sense of accomplishing stuff, like every watching through shows and things (although NEVER at more than 1x speed...) gives me a sense of fulfillment, because it's an indoor hobby I enjoy doing. I like visiting new places and doing all that other stuff too, but clearly that wasn't exactly an option this past year. I guess I'm glad I just had something to focus on to try and get through, to fill my time during this year.

So, what did you plan on doing this past year, and were you able to get into that hobby a lot or clear some backlogs out?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I went from being a college student near poverty to living a middle class live working in IT with almost no debt to speak of. So yeah, I'd say I achieved my main goals for 2020.

I did not achieve my goal of losing weight, however. But given that we're in a pandemic that's not surprising.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda. Split with my wife. Didn't die of covid. Took steps towards a new career. Started working on my mental health

Just need to secure a job.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I did not achieve my goal of losing weight, however. But given that we're in a pandemic that's not surprising.

Yeahhhh this one I totally get :/ I figured I would have all this time to work out at home, and the motivation is just so much more harder than getting to the gym, because once I'd be at the gym, I'd get to work (getting there is the hardest part, really). Been doing Ring Fit when I can and walks around the neighborhood, but can't say my eating habits have been the best :/

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I'm alive and healthy. That was pretty much all I could hope for in a pandemic. I achieved that goal.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
My main goal earlier last year was to die. Didn't do that...fortunately.

Depression + heartbreak is a bitch.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to get a job before Covid hit. I was able to find temporary employment eventually and it looks like I'll have something much more permanent by this summer. Covid fucked a lot of my personal plans up but I can at least point to that.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Didn't hit my goal of 300 max bench (partially because I caught covid) but I did add 30 lbs to my bench. Also, read way more books since I was stuck at home.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhhh this one I totally get :/ I figured I would have all this time to work out at home, and the motivation is just so much more harder than getting to the gym, because once I'd be at the gym, I'd get to work (getting there is the hardest part, really). Been doing Ring Fit when I can and walks around the neighborhood, but can't say my eating habits have been the best :/

Worst part is, I would normally have access to a free gym, swimming pool, and a whole host of other facilities like that for free... but they're all closed down due to the pandemic. Even if they did open back up, I'm immunocompromised so I can't exactly use them until I have the vaccine at a minimum.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Not all but i'm satisfied.

Achieved:
Got a huge raise
Blasted through several networth goals thanks to the stock market
Planned to buy a house for the wife and me with that money
Didn't get covid
Started regular exercises back up

Not achieved:
We planned on getting a kid but decided against due to covid
Didn't buy an actual house because the market is crazy
We planned a big vacation last january but obviously couldn't go

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I cut out/distanced myself from a bunch of toxic people in my life.
I also confronted a friend who deeply hurt me a few years ago and made amends with him.

Still unemployed which was the biggest area I failed....

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Well the goal for this year was to just get through this year of turmoil in decent health and with jobs.

I have a job, but I also got cancer so...it's 50/50.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I didn't set any hobby-specific goals because I knew I wouldn't achieve them. I've spent entire years of my life mostly confined to myself before and they weren't really productive.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Easily did except for stuff I couldn't do because of Covid (JPLT cancelation ugh).

Did a lot more sports (at least 5 times per week) because of Covid it has never been easier for me. Many of my friends got lazier where I got even fitter and healthier now. It's so easy now at home and you don't even need lots of equipment. Learned a lot of new things I wanted to learn at my job, because of more free time and managed to finally plow through many other things I always wanted to get done. In regards to media I don't have any backlog anymore and got more into reading again. Also so much time for cooking healthy stuff. I love it.

Can't complain at all, but I have the mindset that this is the best time in my life to improve in a lot of ways. Not lots of other things to do so I see being lazy or having excuses to not do stuff (e.g. "the Gym is closed!") as bad. Even in my job I managed to leave people behind that were infront of me so it works out great.

Well the goal for this year was to just get through this year of turmoil in decent health and with jobs.

I have a job, but I also got cancer so...it's 50/50.

Hope you will get through cancer just fine. <3

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Well I've paid off a tremendous amount of debt so that was one goal. And now I have zero credit card debt!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Easily did except for stuff I couldn't do because of Covid (JPLT cancelation ugh).

Did a lot more sports (at least 5 times per week) because of Covid it has never been easier for me. Many of my friends got lazier where I got even fitter and healthier now. It's so easy now at home and you don't even need lots of equipment. Learned a lot of new things I wanted to learn at my job, because of more free time and managed to finally plow through many other things I always wanted to get done. In regards to media I don't have any backlog anymore and got more into reading again. Also so much time for cooking healthy stuff. I love it.

Can't complain at all, but I have the mindset that this is the best time in my life to improve in a lot of ways. Not lots of other things to do so I see being lazy or having excuses to not do stuff (e.g. "the Gym is closed!") as bad. Even in my job I managed to leave people behind that were infront of me so it works out great.

Hope you will get through cancer just fine. <3

Thanks, I get to become radioactive tomorrow sooo.. we're halfway there

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Started grad school
Hit investment goals
Regular meditation sessions
Got covid twice and I'm not dead yet.

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
Adapted to the situation and organized and successfully held/hosted a virtual science conference.
Fell off exercise but somehow didn't gain weight (because restaurants were closed and I got put on reduced hours?).

So kind of?

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I was subcontracting for a company in 2019 - early 2020 and got offered a staff position (way better benefits and a decent pay bump). So i achieved that goal.
I'm still way out of shape so my fitness goal is my focus now.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, I'm alive? And also caught up on Final Fantasy 14.

That's about it. All my other goals from last year (dating, moving out, etc.) were dashed because of covid. Can't complain too much though, I know a lot of people have it worse.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I achieved the majority of my goals.

Went back to school
Bought a car I wanted as a child
Got a gaming/editing rig
Made the most money I've ever made in a year
Paid off debt
Lost weight (gained it back lmao)
Revamped my design portfolio
Repainted and built my room up

2021 is going to be a lot bigger in terms of what I'll get done. Thankfully, I didn't get sick all year.

Well I've paid off a tremendous amount of debt so that was one goal. And now I have zero credit card debt!
Nice work, man.

Aug 30, 2020
My main goal for 2020 were to survive and for my family to survive, and we succeeded. My secondary goal was to get a nice fat raise in my job and I succeeded that too. That's enough for 2020.

I do have much more ambitious goals for 2021 (buy a house, have another kid, get back in shape, progress in my job, stay sane), but they're in progress (so far so good).

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I guess in hindsight I should've made the title "quantine-related goals", since the scope has gone beyond that, and my main idea was how everyone filled their time, but ehhh...

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I graduated and started a new job that I like, that resulted in smashing a bunch of small life goals in short order (like living in a place with an in-unit washer and dryer). But I also gained weight, presumably from not having to haul laundry, and eating too much food.

EDIT: Hobby-wise, completed a shit load of gunpla that were in my backlog and bought a ton of new supplies related to that.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. My goals were to do more creative writing, move in with my girlfriend, and propose to her. None of that happened. This year we're moving in together though, so fingers crossed the rest will fall into place as well.

superpickleman

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I set two goals. My goal for 2020 was to pay off my personal/cc debts, and my pandemic goal was to make serious lifestyle changes, teach myself to exercise without the gym, and lose weight.

I became debt free in September and I've lost 60 lbs since June. Had to get something positive out of a terrible situation.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
My main goal still eludes me for now but I managed to leave the US so it's a good starting point.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
My primary goal was to not catch COVID and to ensure none of my loved ones caught COVID.
Mission accomplished on that front thus far.

As a pleasant surprise, I also played hardball at work with salary negotiations and earned myself a decent raise as a result.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Uhhh kinda. My plans changed drastically towards the end of the year as I decided to move my partner to a new place and move in with him. He's now in our new place but I can't get there because of the border closure. So ultimately my plan is only halfway done cause I can't get to Canada to be with him.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Took off 50 lbs and learned the basics of Bass guitar so yeah I've managed to improve myself a bit at least

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really have any goals. Just tried to stay sane and keep my head above water. I knew the year was gonna be crazy.

I'm incredibly happy with how I've managed. I've kept my job, maintained my relationships, and lost weight/got slimmer. Pretty good in the grand scheme of things.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I managed to beat Persona 5 and Sekiro before I was forced out of lockdown, then realised that outside of a few games, my backlog was my backlog because what was left was games I didn't really enjoy and vowed henceforth to not force myself through games just for the sake of completing them. To be clear I loved both names games and if lockdown had lasted longer probably would have completed Witcher 3 too.

So I sorta reached my backlog COVID goal.

And my only other goal was 'just get to the end of the pandemic without something traumatic happening' which is... so so.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
About 2 months into the pandemic I was stuck at home with nothing to do. Decided to finally try and lose some weight. Lost nearly 50 pounds and am still going.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My goals including my wife were to try having a baby, for me to get a new job that would allow us to move back to our home state to be closer to friends and family, and to actually move.

Of those we have a baby due in two months and I just started a new job yesterday. The housing market is the only thing holding us back. Fortunately my job is WFH, so I have no commute and can help my wife out and continue the house search.

Additionally, my wife and I haven't gotten sick, got a lot done around the house last year, and I had A LOT of time to catch up on some games. Also worked on improving my programming skills which got me the job.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
graduated college. didn't really accomplish much else but thats a big enough one that i'm happy

Oct 30, 2017
Some of the things I accomplished last year:
  • Traveled to a couple of places before COVID happened, and that was good enough for me
  • Learned a lot about myself as a person: did a lot of self-development and started taking on a minimalist lifestyle
  • Saved a bunch of money by minimizing impulse purchases, and got a better handling of budgeting
  • Learned to prepare and cook food, as well as mastering some of the dishes I've made over the months
  • Figured out my fitness goals and corrected the stuff I wasn't doing right; lost 25 lbs of fat and gained 4 lbs of muscle
  • Improved my skincare routine, and underwent collagen induction therapy to lessen PIH/PIE and atrophic scars
This year seems to be more or less the same, but that's okay because I have a lot more to improve and build upon the stuff I've learned this past year. :)