• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
If he followed their advice wouldn't he have fallen to the Dark Side?

When Obi-Wan hears Luke say, "I can't kill my own father." Ben responds, "Then the emperor has already won. You were our only hope."

Isn't he bemoaning the fact that Luke is not up to the challenge of putting down Vader?

Yoda and Ben really were terrible teachers.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

And you could also argue the fact, it's why they didn't want to tell him that Vader was his dad, for that very reason.

Nov 1, 2017
Yup. The thought of redeeming him wasn't on their minds. "He's more machine than man now" was what Obi Wan said while a force ghost. He was a man to be taken out, much like the Emperor.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I... think it's possible to kill without "falling to the Dark Side." It would depend on why/how you kill, what state you're in. If you're killing out of hate, passion, etc. that's dark side shit. If you're killing for the good of the galaxy, maybe not so dark.

Oct 25, 2017
I was always under the impression Obi wan and Yoda thought after Anakin joined the Dark Side, they were wrong about the prophecy of him being the chosen one and instead began to believe Luke was.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was always under the impression Obi wan and Yoda thought after Anakin joined the Dark Side, they were wrong about the prophecy of him being the chosen one and instead began to believe Luke was.

Yeah, Obi-Wan flat out tells Maul in Rebels that Luke is the Chosen One.

But the overall point is to show that they're still in the old Jedi mindset. Anakin fell because of attachment and emotions, we need to stop Luke from doing the same thing. They can't yet understand that the path to victory is through embracing love. To them, Anakin is dead. Vader is a monster, more machine than man, and can't be redeemed. Luke, in contrast, rejects this and forges a new path.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

It also proved why Luke was the proper Return of the Jedi because he resisted those old farts teachings which led to the failure of the past Jedi. Then TFA shat on all of that.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I... think it's possible to kill without "falling to the Dark Side." It would depend on why/how you kill, what state you're in. If you're killing out of hate, passion, etc. that's dark side shit. If you're killing for the good of the galaxy, maybe not so dark.
Obi-Wan for all intents and purposes tried to kill Anakin, he shouldn't have survived that ordeal and he didn't turn to the dark side

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Yes, but in their defense everything else had failed and the jedi was almost dead, so an exception should be made.

Probably would of made more sense to say to end the emperor himself, but character arc and all.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But the overall point is to show that they're still in the old Jedi mindset. Anakin fell because of attachment and emotions, we need to stop Luke from doing the same thing. They can't yet understand that the path to victory is through embracing love. To them, Anakin is dead. Vader is a monster, more machine than man, and can't be redeemed. Luke, in contrast, rejects this and forges a new path.
And that's my problem with putting in young force ghost Anakin into ROTJ (and imo, the worst addition of all the SE) Because it makes Anakin symbolic death a literal one. Making they're point of view true.

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
I agree. But in this specific scenario Ben tells him to bury his feelings because he knows the emperor will use them against him.

Which actually is sound advice because Luke's emotions come incredibly close to getting the best of him ... he teeters right on the edge

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017

So who is the Chosen One, canonically? Anakin or Luke?

Also, the Chosen One retcon is stupid

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If killing someone was enough to fall toward the Dark side, oh boy...

1SyCveX.gif

Yoda is a cold ass killer.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I agree. But in this specific scenario Ben tells him to bury his feelings because he knows the emperor will use them against him.

Which actually is sound advice because Luke's emotions come incredibly close to getting the best of him ... he teeters right on the edge

Ben gave Luke that advice for exactly the reason I described.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Yes. Their hope was not that Luke would turn Vader from the Dark Side, as they gave up on him a long time ago.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Killing someone doesn't mean you fall to dark side, but yes they wanted him to end Vader.

That's what makes using Luke as a stand in for the old Jedi really goofy in TLJ. Luke did it his own way and was proven right. He was a new era Jedi.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Obi-wan and Yoda were out of options. Anakin had turned and they believed him irredeemable. They couldn't risk leaving their hiding spots and looking for other kids to train. Luke was really their only shot at taking Vader and Sheev down.

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
Killing someone doesn't mean you fall to dark side, but yes they wanted him to end Vader.

That's what makes using Luke as a stand in for the old Jedi really goofy in TLJ. Luke did it his own way and was proven right. He was a new era Jedi.
I really don't think that interpretation holds much weight. Luke just believed in his father's goodness. It wasn't meant as a commentary on flawed Jedi dogma.

And I don't think the title of the movie is The Return of the Jedi As They Should Have Been.

It just means Anakin returns to his old self and the Jedi Order will live on through his son.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I'm not sure they would want that in other scenarios, but they seen Luke as the last only hope. Sort of like Mace on Sheev

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
He blew up a central core world planet, and it was the first time such a thing had ever been done. And he did it on the fly without even contacting Palpatine.

It was a pretty shocking thing to do!

Anakin.
No, as soon as she gives him the information he says he's going to blow up Alderaan anyway and then she freaks out -before he does it. And he tells her 'you're far too trusting'

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Much of Star Wars is about space wizards wanting to predict the future and understand destinyyyyyy...while also behaving as if choice matters in that equation.

Kill or not kill, Yoda and Obi-wan were essentially just hoping the kid could clean up their mess. Of course, because of destinyyyyyy (and necessary sequels in the name of continued merchandising) none of it really mattered and Luke fucked it up anyway because of another kid obsessed with family history and something something let the past die.

It's not a bible story. It's a pulp space fantasy made to sell toys, OP.

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
Much of Star Wars is about space wizards wanting to predict the future and understand destinyyyyyy...while also behaving as if choice matters in that equation.

Kill or not kill, Yoda and Obi-wan were essentially just hoping the kid could clean up their mess. Of course, because of destinyyyyyy (and necessary sequels in the name of continued merchandising) none of it really mattered and Luke fucked it up anyway because of another kid obsessed with family history and something something let the past die.

It's not a bible story. It's a pulp space fantasy made to sell toys, OP.
Ok

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
And that's my problem with putting in young force ghost Anakin into ROTJ (and imo, the worst addition of all the SE) Because it makes Anakin symbolic death a literal one. Making they're point of view true.

Maybe Anakin just prefers to look as he did before he murdered the Jedi.

If he could regrow hair and limbs then there's no reason why he can't look young.

Also you're actually supposed to watch Star Wars chronologically according to Lucas so you'll have more of a reaction seeing young Anakin there at the end.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not seeing how that contradicts anything I said. His move was totally irrational.

She's shocked that he lied to her. He said 'tell me where the rebel base is and I will leave Alderaan alone' so she does and he says he lied and he's doing it anyway.

That's why I questioned her intelligence. You kind of should expect the bad guy to lie to you not be surprised when he does.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's shocked that he lied to her. He said 'tell me where the rebel base is and I will leave Alderaan alone' so she does and he says he lied and he's doing it anyway.

And I think it's logical for her to be surprised that he is going to just blow up Alderaan anyway. He's an "honorable" by-the-books military/government man and Alderaan is a major core world. It would be like nuking NYC or London. He hadn't even verified that Dantooine wasn't the Rebel base yet - as far as he knew, he got what he wanted (he told her that they were blowing up Alderaan as a demonstration because Dantooine was too remote, not because she had lied about it).

Destroying Alderaan was an insane move. Of course she'd be shocked.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
yes, they wanted vader dead

and then they hanged with him like it was all cool at the end of ROTJ

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think that interpretation holds much weight. Luke just believed in his father's goodness. It wasn't meant as a commentary on flawed Jedi dogma.

And I don't think the title of the movie is The Return of the Jedi As They Should Have Been.

It just means Anakin returns to his old self and the Jedi Order will live on through his son.

It's not as spelled out as the prequels but there's still stuff about a Jedi being essentially emotionless in the OT. Yoda tells Luke to sacrifice his friends and only the most disciplined of Jedi would be able to defeat Vader and the Emperor. But he was wrong. Yoda was wise and right about a lot. Not giving into hate, etc. But Luke's not some super Jedi at the end of RotJ. He's no match for the Emperor. But his faith wins the day.

Just believing in his father's goodness is a big deal. Neither Obi Wan or Yoda share that view and at the time are the only representatives of the Jedi way we know.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

No, that's purely because the character is identified with that actor out of the armor, so you use that actor to communicate to the audience that he's been saved. It makes more sense to use Hayden for that than to suddenly have some old guy there, especially when that old guy is...:checks notes:...40 years older than the character is supposed to be at his time of death. It's a combination of intelligent cinematic shorthand and Lucas' stupid prequel timeline retcons mucking things up when you try to put the two trilogies together.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
yes, they wanted vader dead

and then they hanged with him like it was all cool at the end of ROTJ
lol I never really thought about this

"Yea man you killed a bunch of kids, nearly wiped out our order, killed me personally, and let a maniac run the galaxy. But you did good in those last five minutes so all is forgiven."

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Anakin just prefers to look as he did before he murdered the Jedi.

If he could regrow hair and limbs then there's no reason why he can't look young.

Also you're actually supposed to watch Star Wars chronologically according to Lucas so you'll have more of a reaction seeing young Anakin there at the end.
Nah. GL said in the commentary for ROTJ saying as such.

Which is a shame, as it completely undermines Anakin entire redemption.
No, that's purely because the character is identified with that actor out of the armor, so you use that actor to communicate to the audience that he's been saved. It makes more sense to use Hayden for that than to suddenly have some old guy there, especially when that old guy is...:checks notes:...40 years older than the character is supposed to be at his time of death. It's a combination of intelligent cinematic shorthand and Lucas' stupid prequel timeline retcons mucking things up when you try to put the two trilogies together.
There's never been a problem telling that was Anakin at the end. Even after the prequels came out.

Also, please see my post above.

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
It's not as spelled out as the prequels but there's still stuff about a Jedi being essentially emotionless in the OT. Yoda tells Luke to sacrifice his friends and only the most disciplined of Jedi would be able to defeat Vader and the Emperor. But he was wrong. Yoda was wise and right about a lot. Not giving into hate, etc. But Luke's not some super Jedi at the end of RotJ. He's no match for the Emperor. But his faith wins the day.

Just believing in his father's goodness is a big deal. Neither Obi Wan or Yoda share that view and at the time are the only representatives of the Jedi way we know.
Yoda was kinda right about Luke leaving for his friends tho no? Luke wasn't ready to take on Vader and he wasn't ready to face the truth. He jumped to his death and just got lucky his sister was there to bail him out.

Luke believed in Vader's inherent goodness because he was his father.

I don't think that kind of personal love would translate into blanket changes in Jedi ethos.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No, as soon as she gives him the information he says he's going to blow up Alderaan anyway and then she freaks out -before he does it. And he tells her 'you're far too trusting'
She was smart enough to lie to him with the info she gave, in the hope that he wouldn't be quite that big a sociopath. You know she's the embodiment of pointless hope, right?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
If the Emperor was Space Hitler then Vader was basically Space Himmler.

Like, hell yeah they wanted him dead.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Pretty much. Deep down I always think Vader told Luke he was his father was jsut to sway him away from killing him.

I'd pull the dad card too if some kid was trying to murder me.