• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Unless it was free or 99$ then it's pointless. The weird digital obsession this board has made to sound like a disk less version of a console would be amazing.

The drives cost next to nothing now, there is zero advantage of a disk less version.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Even if I wanted to go all digital, why pay more for something that offers less?
The three games they packed in also aren't all that enticing and don't really represent any value to me.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's the price. As an all Digital gamer who is primarily on Sony thanks to money sunk I have wanted one and have been waiting for gamepass and OG BC ( I am one of those weirdos who prefered the big black box over the GC and PS2, in fact it's library has it in my top 3 of all time. Small but quality and some real weird you know) so when the thread first appeared here I went to check and...250$ for a weaker console than my base PS4 that's going to be a backup for my love of a certain old system and a subscription service?GTFOH.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The price isn't a "wow," even if it's not awful on the MSRP/bonus games scale. I think that reveal commercial put it in as good a light as possible, because at least it was funny about it. Most people truly won't care, and bargain hunters will probably be able to find a standard S for the same or less, even at launch.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox One SAD's price point made it pointless for most consumers.

It shouldn't cost more for less functionality. Just a bad idea to launch it at that price.

It'll eventually come down but by the , who cares. We'll likely be on to the next box.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
It's a lot like the whole Xbox Subscribe-to-Own Program Thingy... like... sure, it exists, but it's in an awkward niche. Who's it for? Is it mass appealing?

Only has a 1tb drive--my 8tb external is full for my regular Xbox. Isn't an X model, which is the one with the highest price point, and the S regularly comes with sales but doesn't really have amazing performance on multi-platform games. Like... if you're buying an xbox, why buy anything less than a One X? What's the point? The One X is the best home console that currently exists (I'm installing ninja gaiden 2 on it right now, so it must be). Why buy something less?

So you end up with a kind of "who is this console for" question. Maybe Microsoft just wants to test the waters. I dunno. I would gladly buy a next-gen xbox that's digital-only, because honestly, my console's in an annoying place and I'd rather not have to swap out discs to access it.

I don't get the strategy here. Too expensive to be a no-brainer, not the best hardware Microsoft has, not enough internal storage to kick ass. I don't get it.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Not under the radar, it's exactly where it should be.

It's also pretty half-assed as it's just an S with the drive removed. Sad.

Oct 26, 2017
XboneSAD got a good childish chuckle from me. MS really gonna have to up their naming game for next gen, this one has been a series of bad ones.
Can't really see the value in a discless version, especially since the S plays 4K blurays and you can stick your 360 discs in and download them. All I can think of are the poor parents/children who get the SAD but also a disc copy of Fallout76 with it for their birthday.

Oct 29, 2017
There's a market for this product but there's literally no reason for an enthusiast to be interested in it. It doesn't even have a smaller form factor than the existing Xbone S, or a dramatically lower price, or any other potential hook. That's why there's not much hype or discussion at a place like this.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
The drives used in these consoles most likely is costing them next to nothing. Of course a 4K blu Ray player still costs a lot.
Dude, I am not talking about commercial Blu-Ray player units. 4K Blu-Ray drives for commercial use cost over $30 USD/unit in 2016. Unless you're suggesting that they have somehow decreased in cost exponentially, I will maintain that they are expensive components.

EDIT: Here's a BOM rundown of Xbox One S circa 2016. https://technology.ihs.com/582313/i...n?hootPostID=696c493d1b964a7a6a0188df11469361

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Unless it was free or 99$ then it's pointless. The weird digital obsession this board has made to sound like a disk less version of a console would be amazing.

The drives cost next to nothing now, there is zero advantage of a disk less version.
I think the hope was that Microsoft would greatly subsidize the entry price because their All-Digital customer wouldn't be buying new physical games from retailers at the very least, and definitely no used games, which would work out in Microsoft's favor. It maybe had less to do with the literal cost of the disc drive when people were expecting/hoping the consumer to come out ahead more.

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
This has to be $100 or it won't take off. If it was $100 with unlimited Xbox live, then it would be the next PS2. You can't sell an online device like that and then expect people to pay for the online service. It isn't a cell phone.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
It should be bundled with a year of game pass. It's basically a game pass distribution system.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Microsoft would be dumb to sell the thing at $99

Since when has a current generation console sold for anything close to that price point heading into a new generation? Microsoft sells most of its consoles in October - December, and the catalyst for that is Black Friday / Holiday deals - which requires a price drop or value proposition that is perceived to be temporary. You'll likely have your $149-$179 price point for the XB1, but it's not going to be until November and December, and it's going to be short lived.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
The console is in no-man's land. The price isn't good enough for an impulse buy or for someone to pick up as a second console. This thing will be DOA.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Everything about this thing seems ill founded.

Launched too late in the gen
Launched at a price as high/higher than a more featured model
Budget users can't use Redbox/Gamefly/Gamestop with it
Can't pop in your OG XB/360 games
Bulky box obviously designed to house an optical drive, seems janky/cheaply thought out

Honestly, this is shaping up to be a future YouTube/forum star : "What were they thinking??" Topic

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It'll matter when the holiday price point is hit; honestly think MS should have just waited and dropped this with an MSRP that makes sense and not do an MSRP that is "technically $50 less than existing model" but effectively more expensive until sales hit.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Not under the radar for me, but not on my radar for wanting it.

The One X being $399 and lower? That was more under the radar IMO.

Until the PS5 article, I was actually thinking about getting one.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it'S just Xbox One S, with the blu ray drive taken out. MS doesn't seem to make a big deal out of it either.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's just a bad value proposition. You pay more for less functionality. It's for suckers.

Especially with next-gen around the corner, Xbox one physical games will become dirt cheap. You could expand your gaming collection for a fraction of the cost of buying everything digital.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Yeah I was stoked on it when it could've been sub-$200 but that price point just ain't worth it for what I'd get out of it.

Oct 26, 2017
The weird thing is I noticed a few retailers in the UK seemingly shedding their regular S stock recently. Had to wonder whether MS wanted this to be their default S.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, I thought it was still just a rumour. Had no idea it had been officially confirmed.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah I was stoked on it when it could've been sub-$200 but that price point just ain't worth it for what I'd get out of it.

Yeah it's dumb they launched and are taking pre-orders at the MSRP price.

Their only real justification of that is the 3 games, but it's a weak one. It's rather obvious considering the "MSRP" of the Xbox One S is currently officially BS by a factor of $50, and unofficially BS by more like $80 that the plan is to sell the XBOX SAD @ < $200.

Just launch that way MS, you look like idiots right now considering you can buy an S with a BR drive for the same price as the SAD on THEIR OWN STORE. It's particularly stupid because you'd think MS would try to use this new machine to sell GamePass, yet the only real justification for the price is the 3 "free games" which are all a part of Game Pass.

Set MSRP at $200, instead of 3 free games give 3 free months of GamePass. It'll sell decently at $200 that way and then can be discounted to $150-180 for the holidays, none of this stupid $249 MSRP mess.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I just realized from an unboxing THE THING IS EXACTLY THE SAME SIZE as the regular One S. I had no idea. I just assumed one of the major advantages of no disc would be a much sleeker, small system. Certainly I'd have thought Sony/Nintendo would have taken advantage of that. if they had done such a redesign.

I'm guessing the bean counters at MS decided using the same form factor, not having to test and verify a new motherboard and all that, outweighed the advantages of a redesign. There's almost no cost involved then, just ship the same box without a drive. Still disappointing.

Some are crying about only a 1TB HDD, but I totally get that. A 2TB is still likely a significant cost adder.

I would much rather MS have juiced the power of the box while they were at it. At least an upclock, if not a total redesign and more powerful SOC, enabled by years of manufactoring progress. Something like 2TF.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
It's being launched at a price point way too high for anyone to seriously consider.

It'll drop soon, and I'm sure Microsoft intends as much. They don't want to have to ship every new XB1S with a relatively pricey 4K disc drive going forward, and it will be the cheapest XB1S in a short while.
If they would have removed the eject button it would be $20 cheaper!

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically just a one s without notice the disc drive, not even a smaller form factor. You can buy a regular S on and get the benefit of disc sales plus 4k movies plus identical digital functionality. It's not really worth the trade off for only 50 dollars less.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Only has a 1tb drive--my 8tb external is full for my regular Xbox. Isn't an X model, which is the one with the highest price point, and the S regularly comes with sales but doesn't really have amazing performance on multi-platform games. Like... if you're buying an xbox, why buy anything less than a One X? What's the point? The One X is the best home console that currently exists (I'm installing ninja gaiden 2 on it right now, so it must be). Why buy something less?

I sort of want an XBO but I don't actually want any "real" XBO games. I just want Rare Replay (which is technically an XBO game, but it's a collection of old games) and to play Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and my 360 library with performance improvements. I don't need an X because I have a decent laptop and honestly, the kinds of games I play rarely need a ton of power. If there was a really cheap XBO option ($200 max, but $100-$150 would be ideal), I would jump all on it so I'll be keeping an eye on the All-Digital for future sales.

Admittedly my situation is pretty niche.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I don't think this was ever intended to be massive right at launch. Me, like many others, will probably buy it once it goes on sale. I have a year of gamepass that I've been using on PC so if it goes down to 150$ that will be a steal. Black friday will be massive for this.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I estimate the Xbox is being outsold weekly by Switch and PS4 by about 4 or 5/1. Why would a console doing so poorly get much fanfare when it launches without a hard drive for $250. It just won't.

MS main goal I suspect is to give it a huge discount this holiday and BF. Maybe as low as $149.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
It would've been more impactful if it had launched with the rumored 'disc-to-digital' conversion program.

Where the hardware exist to supplement a unique service to convert your disc purchases to a digital copy of the game, which will be sustained for current gen and beyond.

As it is, even factoring in MSRP alone, the value proposition isn't worth it.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I sort of want an XBO but I don't actually want any "real" XBO games. I just want Rare Replay (which is technically an XBO game, but it's a collection of old games) and to play Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and my 360 library with performance improvements. I don't need an X because I have a decent laptop and honestly, the kinds of games I play rarely need a ton of power. If there was a really cheap XBO option ($200 max, but $100-$150 would be ideal), I would jump all on it so I'll be keeping an eye on the All-Digital for future sales.

Niche but familiar enough I made a simialar post. Only added to OG games is as a disabled gamer with fixed income I would also subscribe to Gamepass.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
I thought that thread was just speculation too. I only knew it was real yesterday when I read random news on BBC.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is your 360 library all digital or do you still have discs because that's what would kill me on this

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
I really don't understand xbox pricing politics (at least here in europe)
E.g
vemx38j_d.jpg

xbox one S is sold for 150-200€ nearly everywhere.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The only question....who the hell in Microsoft came up with the names for their hardware and software?

From Windows OS to their Xboxes, the names were either terrible or confusing or both?

I'm sure the next xbox will be called 'Xbox A New Edition' in which we will call it XBane