• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game deserved to be 2016's Game of the Year?

• Uncharted 4

Votes: 1,299 44.5%
  • Doom

Votes: 595 20.4%
  • Overwatch

Votes: 234 8.0%
  • Dark Souls 3

Votes: 257 8.8%
  • The Last Guardian

Votes: 183 6.3%
  • Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 76 2.6%
  • Another game not listed

Votes: 275 9.4%

• Total voters

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
The Witness, Inside and Hyper Light Drifter all came out in 2016, so none of those listed.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is a recurring trend on this forum, i.e. users incapable of realising that it's not a case of other games being over-represented or Western media being jaded or anything like that, rather that their own individual tastes are simply more niche or outlier in nature, and not necessarily indicative of the wider demographics of gamers, critics or audiences in general.

Speak that damn truth.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
No and BIG no. Crate pushing simulator it was.

I enjoyed Doom so much. I even enjoyed the MP mode (one I'll revisit it). Dark Souls 3 and Titfanfall 2 were pretty good.

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem Fates (the Conquest campaign in particular) was far and away the best release I played that year, and nothing came close to touching it, though Stardew Valley was a clear #2. But I'm not going to relitigate that here when even half the Fire Emblem fan base, it seems, is Wrong about this strategy masterwork.

Right next to 2012 as a low point of the decade, though. I stand by the picks I backed at the time (Fates, Stardew, WoW: Legion, and Star Fox Zero—and oh, don't me started on that), although I've since caught up on some other releases I would rate highly, like The Flame in the Flood and Hyper Light Drifter. Some great things going on in PC strategy, too, between the safe but solid XCOM 2 and the offbeat Offworld Trading Company.

(Not a year when I had much overlap with the console AAA bubble, as you can probably tell.)

In reality, I spent most of 2016 engrossed in Factorio, which received a Steam release and some monumental features patches that year, although it's still in pre-release alpha even now.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
And critics at large, and other communities like ign, and every other measurable metric we have to determine the overall GotY.
Maybe your tastes just diverge from overall tastes? Acting like that means it's overrepresented misrepresents the truth.
Enthusiast press hasn't really rewarded the most popular games with coverage & accolades since like Street Fighter's heyday. The recognition Overwatch got was an unfortunate outlier; many posters already point out cinematic action games as being GOTY bait, and for good reason.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Nah, they never reached the heights of 2,
3 was eh but 4 made 3 more enjoyable because I really didn't like 4.

I would say Overwatch, bigger game with more lasting power.

Ninjatogo

Oct 28, 2017
I think it deserved it, but not just because of the single player. Although it was often overlooked, the multiplayer was really good. It would have been even better if they brought the maps and powers from UC3, but it was still really fun nonetheless.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well, it was mine. Don't care if it was anyone else's. XD

It was a fantastic game that felt like a fitting conclusion to Nathan Drake's story. Lost Legacy was also fantastic, and I'd be happy if the Uncharted series continued with Nadine and Chloe as the leads from here on out.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I feel like Doom has had a big impact on the industry and is still talked about today. I bought UC4 a month or so ago on sale, and I can see why no one really cares about it anymore.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, what a year. Happy with UC4, TLG, Doom, and FF15 from that list. My unlisted picks go to Stardew Valley and The Witness.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Against Overwatch and Doom, it's a realllllly tough choice for me. But Uncharted 4 is fantastic. One of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I think the game is unjustly maligned by a lot of people citing vague "pacing" issues.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doom is so like totally a much better game, and one actually worth replaying.

Hyper Light Drifter still might have been my number one that year though.
hld-vid-3.0.0.gif

Oct 25, 2017
It has some of the best presentation of any game I've ever played, and the gameplay was pretty solid too, especially in the more open areas. Doom still absolutely gets my pick though, that game is amazing in all aspects.

Alxjn

Nov 17, 2017
I would have given it to Dishonored 2, Doom, Dark Souls 3 or Titanfall 2 first. I have mixed feelings about Uncharted 4. The combat was a huge step up from the previous games, and the arena designs were stellar, but the game is frequently unengaging and the needlessly long 'platforming' segments really hurt the pacing.

I don't mind the slower narrative sections like the scuba dive, or wandering around Drake's house, those sections in particular were really well done. But the execution wasn't there in other areas that weren't focused on the meat and potatoes TPS combat. Like the fight with the other prisoners in the laundry room. The hand to hand fighting animates beautifully, and it's a great component of the combat, but on it's own, against what feels like an endless wave of goons, it outstays it's welcome fast.

The climbing is a problem too. There isn't enough there mechanically to sell the tension of the climbing, and after three games the ol' ladder breaking beneath Drake's feet is 100% played out. It doesn't help that all the traversal gameplay is so heavily sign posted with bird shit covered ledges and a giant icons for the grapple hook, so even the act of figuring out where to go isn't engaging, you're simply following the yellow brick road.

I like the idea of keeping things 'on the sticks'. When it comes to set pieces like the convoy Naughty Dog nails it, but being too committed to that idea seems to be resulting in bare bones sequences where I feel like i'm just going through the motions.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Uncharted 4 dominate this poll explains a lot about God of War's win last year.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
No. But then again I value a good multiplayer game much more than the majority of this forum does. I'd easily choose overwatch over it and this year I'd easily say Apex Legends deserves it but once again a cinematic 3rd person game will likely be GOTY

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Over those games? Yes. But I did play Dark Souls 3 more simply because it's Dark Souls and there's more to do. Uncharted 4 is still one of the best games I've ever played. Uncharted is Uncharted.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seeing Uncharted 4 dominate this poll explains a lot about God of War's win last year.
The difference being God of War is an amazing game with great gameplay and UC4 is just above average with middling gameplay. The two are quite different in their offerings, GoW is the complete package game that ND can't make.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
The difference being God of War is an amazing game with great gameplay and UC4 is just above average with middling gameplay. The two are quite different in their offerings, GoW is the complete package game that ND can't make.

What? Uncharted 4's gameplay was anything but middling. It was amazing, harking back to the classic Tomb Raider series, with a perfectly paced mix of exploration, puzzle solving and combat.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Wasn't the best game in the Uncharted series (IMO), but it definitely satisfied GOTY 2016.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Playing through it now, not a chance so far and dont see my opinion changing. Though to be fair I said the same thing about God of War after the first few hours and that game really turned around for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I prefered TLL. UC4 is good, but the pacing killed it for me. I'd pick The Witness, The Last Guardian and Dark Souls 3 over it.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Blood & Wine was the best release of 2016 but that isn't in the poll so it would easily be The Last Guardian, such a special game. Overwatch close behind, my most-played game of all time. Didn't care for Uncharted 2 or 3 (or The Last of Us) so it was easy to skip Uncharted 4.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I played through it once and never again. Until recently I realised it's the only uncharted I've no platinumed. I platinumed the trilogy on the ps3 and even the remasters on the ps4. Lost Legacy too.

So I did a crushing playthtough last week and got all the collectables along the way. Then did the weapon trophies on chapter select before finally doing the speedrun trophy and 70% accuracy trophy yesterday. It completed it in 5 hours 10 minutes with 85% accuracy. The crushing walk through took about 22 hours. Today I got the few multiplayer trophies and the plat. The series is now complete!

The first time I played it I found it a bit long and boring. This time however I really enjoyed my crushing play through. I think playing red dead redemption 2 has made me appreciate slower paced games more. Played it on my new 4k tv and it looked incredible. HDR really stands out.

I've no doubt now, GOTY 2016!

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
It absolutely did.

Uncharted 4 was the first game in the series to really prioritize gameplay mechanics over (an admittedly very good) story. After playing Uncharted 4's multiplayer, no other third person shooter feels nearly as tight and responsive.