• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Probably not. Probably was about where they hoped.

Plus it was a dark as hell game releasing into the pandemic. If it got dampened down in sales, that's the cause.

Plus it's gonna win a fuck load of awards, which Sony really cares about

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
No, because PS4 outsold PS3 by what, 30 million units or something like that? I thought a comparison against another big PS4 title would be more apt given the big gap in console sales between PS3 and 4. Though I understand the argument for comparing it against TLOU1.
Install base does affect a game's sales potential, but PS3 hardware sales reached a point where this is basically a non-issue. It's not like TLOU1 was limited because of PS3's install base, and it's not like PS4 games should be expected to sell ~25% more than their PS3 counterparts just because of the difference in install base.

A good example of this is the Mario Kart series, since there's one game per system, and the games have the same appeal so it seems fair to compare them. But there's pretty much no correlation between hardware sales and software sales. Taking Polygon's data and graphing it properly, you can see it's largely a shotgun blast. Only an idiot would try and extract a meaningful prediction from this.

Anyways the point is, comparing TLOU2 against TLOU1 makes more sense than comparing it against Spider-Man, since the TLOUs have the same appeal and fill the same want. Don't worry about the hardware sales.

Ua3pq1jl.jpeg

5SmhxWQl.png

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when these boards thought Spider-Man was going to be a modest success. Less than GOW (2018) and TLOU Part II

...lol.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Install base does affect a game's sales potential, but PS3 hardware sales reached a point where this is basically a non-issue. It's not like TLOU1 was limited because of PS3's install base, and it's not like PS4 games should be expected to sell ~25% more than their PS3 counterparts just because of the difference in install base.

A good example of this is the Mario Kart series, since there's one game per system, and the games have the same appeal so it seems fair to compare them. But there's pretty much no correlation between hardware sales and software sales. Taking Polygon's data and graphing it properly, you can see it's largely a shotgun blast. Only an idiot would try and extract a meaningful prediction from this.

Anyways the point is, comparing TLOU2 against TLOU1 makes more sense than comparing it against Spider-Man, since the TLOUs have the same appeal and fill the same want. Don't worry about the hardware sales.

Ua3pq1jl.jpeg

5SmhxWQl.png
That's interesting. Thanks for the insight.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's doing perfectly well. Maybe not meeting their highest expectations and I feel the hype has died down quicker too, but this is still selling fantastic.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
We will know once it hits 10M. Same with Ghost. However morons will find new ways to hate on that achievement as well. IIRC, we got updates for Spider-Man, Horizon and God of War once they hit 10M. Uncharted 4 was a scenario where we found out it sold 16M during their fiscal year report.

Aug 12, 2019
Basically that Sony gave ND too much freedom to make the game they wanted which, turned some off to the game.

He thinks it sold super well, but, not to Sony's expectations.

That's probably true to be honest given how much Sony invested into this game. 2000 people working on a game makes the cost of it astronomically higher and requires a much higher sales figure to make that proper return. While I don't think Part II failed, I do think that Sony probably expected it to have significantly longer lasting legs than it currently has had. It might see a resurgence when the multiplayer launches or it might get a significant remastered edition like the original The Last of Us did. We'll just have to see what comes next as I imagine Sony would like to get more out of one of their biggest financial investments on a single game (and I'd say if anything, they are more frustrated by Death Stranding's similar failure to capture a longterm sales number, though it's initials were much lower).

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
It's the 3rd highest dollar sale behind GOW and Spidey. I'd say it's tracking really well for 4 months. We had people come in and tell us the numbers were nice with it. And PS5 and PS5 version and multiplayer, major discounts, holidays, haven't even dropped yet lol

Oct 28, 2017
Once the multiplayer thing they're working on hits (also the inevitable PS5 version) I'd be surprised not to see renewed interest in the game.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is legit nightmare fuel...

Anyway I do think overall the story was less universally liked than the first game and it releasing so close to PS5 made people afraid they would miss out on a better PS5 version which could have hurt legs. Also the fact it's currently missing MP.

That being said, it's sold very well so far and will likely see a large uptick around the holidays so I doubt Sony is disappointed.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I just picked another top tier PS4 exclusive. Was thinking about checking God of War's NPD trajectory, but got lazy lol. I might go investigate that now.
The thing is that Spidy sells millions to kids. Last of, on the other hand, has a public massively adult only. God of War would likely be the best comparison indeed.

Dec 20, 2017
I just want to say that anyone who thinks that 7 million copies of a game sold in 7 months is disappointing or think that because it "only" sold 3 million copies in the 4 months after selling 4 million on opening day is either being extremely obtuse or disingenuous. The original TLoU sold 1.3 million opening weekend. It took over a year to hit 8 million sold. This took 10 minutes of research and pretty much makes this entire topic of discussion moot.

7 million copies in 4 months is extremely successful by ANY metric and its borderline stupid to argue otherwise.

I have a feeling the OP is looking for evidence to validate a feeling he had rather than coming to a conclusion based on evidence. It didn't do GTA 5 or Spiderman numbers, so obviously it's a huge failure /s.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I just want to say that anyone who thinks that 7 million copies of a game sold in 7 months is disappointing or think that because it "only" sold 3 million copies in the 4 months after selling 4 million on opening day is either being extremely obtuse or disingenuous. The original TLoU sold 1.3 million opening weekend. It took over a year to hit 8 million sold. This took 10 minutes of research and pretty much makes this entire topic of discussion moot.

7 million copies in 4 months is extremely successful by ANY metric and its borderline stupid to argue otherwise.

I have a feeling the OP is looking for evidence to validate a feeling he had rather than coming to a conclusion based on evidence. It didn't do GTA 5 or Spiderman numbers, so obviously it's a huge failure /s.
That's how it seems for sure. It's a question that didn't need to be asked with minimal critical thinking

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If your main evidence for a game underperforming is that it has fewer sales than its seven year old predecessor (that was sold on two platforms) and a game based on one of the most popular characters in the world then it's probably doing pretty good.

Mar 10, 2018

All of this

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Why is op ignoring this post. It seems to have done great even tough it's banned in mea region
Post #86

www.resetera.com

Did TLOU2 ultimately underperform commercially?

I believe you, but it's interesting looking at NPDs and PSN digital charts and seeing it absent at this stage after release. Again it's all guesswork to some degree and an attempt to piece together an incomplete puzzle.

Probably more appropriate comparison for Part 2 sales would be God of War and GoTsu to see how well these have lasted in the NPD and PSN charts. There was some comment(s) how Part 2 still isn't being discounted. Insignificant market and all, but at least in Finland many online stores seems to have dropped the price permanently to 45€ from launch price that is usually howering between 60-70€ depending on the store.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
It will be stellar numbers for a GOAT game, no reason to worry. It's Sony's/ND's headache, if anything.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Front loaded for AAA games is kind of good. Sony will get more money for the first 7m copies than 10m heavy discount or bundled copies later.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Only to some ridiculous expectations - saw some people acting as if selling 20m would be something the game could easy achieve without realizing what it took for the first one to achieve its big numbers.

It sold amazing for an exclusive.... but not as high as the most optimistic predictions.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
it sold well but probably not as good as some hoped it would. it will sell a couple more millions on the ps5. where is the next gen version sony? i need it and i thought it would be ready for the ps5 launch

Last edited:

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
6-10m copies sold is 'ultimately underperforming'?! This is a low-key troll thread by someone that didnt like the game most probably, this reminds me of the same shitstorm of downplaying that the haters used to try and bring this game down because of their own insecurities.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
According to gamestat and the fact that s still full price or close to it, it doing well. In eu at least.

This s not bethesda situation where majority if its releases end in bargain bin few months after release.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's covid year, I think it will have sold an absolute truckload and I would be surprised to see anything otherwise.

Also, the completion percentage really blew my mind. Like I think that is an incredible achievement.

I'm sure it did really, really well.

Must admit there hasn't been much conversation about it in media etc since it launched though but what is there to really say? So maybe that's what's causing the uncertainty around its performance?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Lol what. There is no reality where TLoUII underperformed. It's probably going to pass 10m by the time the remastered PS5 version is out.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really doubt it underperformed. But I also think it missing multiplayer didn't help it, not even talking about the pre-release "controversy" (which was and remains stupid/pathetic as hell).

I know several people who owned the original, but didn't buy the second. Now, I can't be sure if they didn't buy Part II because there was no multiplayer, because of the pre-release bs, or if they are waiting for the PS5. I kind of think it's a mix of all of the above, but I genuinely hope the spoilers had minimal affect on people's purchasing decision of this.

I think it affected sales in a big way. Key moments spoiled, lots and lots of fake spoilery and really bad PR. Lots of influencer said they hate what they saw and wont play the final game and assuming influencer have a big impact on sales, actually I don't but let's say for the sake of it than it probably affected the sales by more than 30%.

Besides ps5 version and mp, I do think the story telling was sooo different. It made the game really risky imo and naughty dog dont get enough credit. But it also made some ppl don't like the game and that's finde.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's probably doing fine... problem is if you try to compare it to some of the evergreen Nintendo titles. Those are the exception in the market and no Sony title has the potential to keep selling in the top20 for three years without a price drop.

assuming influencer have a big impact on sales, actually I don't but let's say for the sake of it than it probably affected the sales by more than 30%.

I don't think you really know how absurd and no sensical that is.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that's not how you do market analysis dude

Stop making "TLOU2 was a failure" trying to happen. It's not going to happen.

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That game was a disaster they turned the only homosexual character Sony had to a blood thirsty villian. Its a shame.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Although a great game tlou2 problem was it's replay value. Most people i know traded it in after completing it. For new purchasers you can get the game pre owned for a decent price in comparison to the high price brand new. I know they're currently working on a stand alone multiplayer however so we will see how that does

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am sure it did fine. It will get another boost when Sony start hyping up a PS5 update, as well as the MP stuff, so I doubt anyone will view it as underperforming.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That game was a disaster they turned the only homosexual character Sony had to a blood thirsty villian. Its a shame.

Well, she's not the only homosexual character Sony has, for a start. Kat from gravity rush is definitely in a relationship with another woman (you're explicitly told she shares a bed with the other major female character).

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
An estimated 7 million in 4 months is extremely impressive. And then as others have said, there's a multiplayer update coming, likely a PS5 patch and a HBO show that's going to introduce the franchise to a whole new wave of people.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game hits 10m sold by its first anniversary.