• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 27, 2020
A ND dev posted this a couple weeks ago

EkuRHucVcAEzo4c

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Every sony exclusive this gen has sold a ton, even games like days gone. I wouldn't bet against the last of us part 2.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like it'll be close to 7m sold, based on the number of trophies tracked

Seems like pretty good numbers to me. I think it was always going to do pretty well out of the gate though, but we'll have to see if it's affected in the long term. A lot of folks didn't like it some of the narrative elements, so that might affect its long-term appreciation.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Let's talk about this in a year or two after the PS5 version with MP and also the bundles.

PS: I still believe this is the best looking game this gen.

50046359757_5360ca69ef_k.jpg

50045699597_f86d9dc396_k.jpg

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And on two platforms.

OP didn't think this through at all lol
Said this before, but I'm talking trajectory and expectations. Not expecting a game that's been out for 4 months to have the same sales as one that's been out for 7 years lol. I know ya'll want to have fun in threads, but use your reading comprehension skills first.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt it underperformed. But I also think it missing multiplayer didn't help it, not even talking about the pre-release "controversy" (which was and remains stupid/pathetic as hell).

I know several people who owned the original, but didn't buy the second. Now, I can't be sure if they didn't buy Part II because there was no multiplayer, because of the pre-release bs, or if they are waiting for the PS5. I kind of think it's a mix of all of the above, but I genuinely hope the spoilers had minimal affect on people's purchasing decision of this.
For me, with no MP I can wait until it is bargain bin price.

I'm sure the game sold fine.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the info we are given, relatively, yes. I wish Sony games had proper legs, but I am not sure what they need to attain the 'evergreen' status for some of its flagship titles.

Mar 10, 2018
Said this before, but I'm talking trajectory and expectations. Not expecting a game that's been out for 4 months to have the same sales as one that's been out for 7 years lol. I know ya'll want to have fun in threads, but use your reading comprehension skills first.
If you're talking trajectory and expectations, then the premise of this thread makes no sense. You're asking if something has ultimately underperformed based on results that have not yet manifested. You should be asking if the game will ultimately underperform based on current numbers. And you yourself stated that you don't even know what numbers Sony was expecting from the game, so the basis of your inquiry is tenuous.

Oct 28, 2017
OP, I like the thread and I think it is something to discuss. However, I think you need to consider just how global Sony is, and TLOU 2 is going to sell much more than you see just in NPD. Just because it fell off the charts, doesn't mean it isn't necessarily still selling decently in many other markets, or that it still isn't selling decently even in the US still. I know you are probably aware of this, but I just wanted to bring it up since it wasn't really addressed in the OP.

All those numbers around the World, and sure, they aren't as big as they were at launch, but they are going to add up and be impressive!

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're talking trajectory and expectations, then the premise of this thread makes no sense. You're asking if something has ultimately underperformed based on results that have not yet manifested. You should be asking if the game will ultimately underperform based on current numbers. And you yourself stated that you don't even know what numbers Sony was expecting from the game, so the basis of your inquiry is tenuous.
You can look at a trajectory and make assumptions about final sales. People are in this thread saying "OP thought the game would sell 20 million in 4 months."

Apologies if my language wasn't precise enough for you, but I think you understood what I meant.

Oct 31, 2017
For me, with no MP I can wait until it is bargain bin price.

I'm sure the game sold fine.
I can understand this, especially since I thought Factions was the best part of the first game, and I loved the first game's single player (it was the reason I bought it, MP was an afterthought for me originally).

That said, I do think Part II was/is worth full price, especially at launch, especially to avoid spoilers. It's just an extremely high quality single player experience, and like the original, generates emotional feelings that isn't too comparable to many other games.

Still, however they iterate on the original multiplayer with Part II is going to be absolutely incredible if the gameplay and art direction of it is any direction.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so did you look at the trajectory of the first game and compare the two?
No, because PS4 outsold PS3 by what, 30 million units or something like that? I thought a comparison against another big PS4 title would be more apt given the big gap in console sales between PS3 and 4. Though I understand the argument for comparing it against TLOU1.

Oct 28, 2017
Knowing Sony, a re-release on the PS5 will generate a lot of sales. Unfortunately, I don't feel like they would give out a next gen patch for free.
I picked up the remaster of the first one on the PS4, and in my mind, it was definitely worth it.

But I thinkMS has changed expectations a bit for me.

I didn't buy TLOU2 on the PS4, but will definitely get it whenever the remaster comes out.

I bought the Remastered Version of TLOU on PS4, after beating it on PS3. So I counted as 2 sales for that game. However, I wouldn't buy a PS5 version of TLOU2. I just really dont have much of a desire to play through TLOU2 again. I did want to play through TLOU Part 1 again. I just feel like TLOU2 is so long, and has some dark moments, and I already know the story beats and stuff. I am just not in a hurry to replay it really.

I wonder if others feel the same? And if they do release a PS5 version that isn't a free upgrade, I wonder if as many people would double dip on the 2nd game as they did on the first game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, it may have been a bit more front loaded than some other PS titles, but it seems like it was insanely successful, breaking PlayStation records.

Contrary to the implication by some here, I thought the game was still charting in EU territories?

Keep in mind most of the 7m or whatever sales it likely has thus far are going to be full MSRP (hence higher in revenue and profit), once it hits consistent sales or lower pricing, it's going to pop back in the charts intermittently, much like other Sony exclusives have.

I think it may likely end up being the second most successful PlayStation game of all, behind Spider-Man. Perhaps even the top dog if there's a TLOU2 Remaster that comes with Factions multiplayer or whatever.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
No, because PS4 outsold PS3 by what, 30 million units or something like that? I thought a comparison against another big PS4 title would be more apt given the big gap in console sales between PS3 and 4. Though I understand the argument for comparing it against TLOU1.
but all you really compared tlou2 and spider-man with is the number of times they showed up in the npds

that doesnt really tell us anything except that spider-man sells consistently, likely because of its brand (being a good game also helps)

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but all you really compared tlou2 and spider-man with is the number of times they showed up in the npds

that doesnt really tell us anything except that spider-man sells consistently, likely because of its brand (being a good game also helps)
Yeah we have a really incomplete picture. Just some scraps to go off of. I wish game sales were released like box office numbers. I made the thread because the info we do have potentially pointed at poor legs. Clearly Era does not in fact think this points to the game underperforming.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sorry but it doesn't seem like you actually want to have an honest discussion about this. From what we know it sold very well, hasn't yet been discounted or released, and has 7 years to catch up to it's predecessor.

Personally I haven't even played it yet because I'm waiting for word on a PS5 version.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sorry but it doesn't seem like you actually want to have an honest discussion about this. From what we know it sold very well, hasn't yet been discounted or released, and has 7 years to catch up to it's predecessor.

Personally I haven't even played it yet because I'm waiting for word on a PS5 version.
What points to me not wanting to have an honest discussion? And for like the millionth time in this thread I wasn't expecting it to match the lifetime sales of TLOU1 by this point. That would be absurd.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldnt be out of the question that some people expect a PS5 remaster. But also the content skewered even more mature and lacked the endearing part of a father figure taking care of his adopted daughter angle which means its alot more of a downer than people want. Especially in the year 2020

balb

Oct 30, 2017
Why are forced PS4 bundles of TLOU Remastered and UC4 being counted as sales for those games?

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
What points to me not wanting to have an honest discussion? And for like the millionth time in this thread I wasn't expecting it to match the lifetime sales of TLOU1 by this point. That would be absurd.

Because people have pointed out that it's the 3rd highest revenue generating game in Sony's history at launch, it's around 7m after 4 months.

It hasn't underperformed. And we can't really say how it will end up doing. You aren't really acknowledging these points.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are forced PS4 bundles of TLOU Remastered and UC4 being counted as sales for those games?
Yeah. We have to rely on Sony to release sales figures and they count those. Kinda like Netflix saying 50 million people watched one of their shows. Not technically wrong, but they like to use a methodology that will make their numbers look as strong as possible.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to keep selling millions on the PS5 when they push the updated version

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Because people have pointed out that it's the 3rd highest revenue generating game in Sony's history at launch, it's around 7m after 4 months.

It hasn't underperformed. And we can't really say how it will end up doing. You aren't really acknowledging these points.
Yeah I read that point made over and over and its odd how that still hasn't sufficed to show that it did not in fact underperform.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No those points are legit. It's impressive for sure. Revenue doesn't equal profit however. And we're not sure where they wanted it to end up at. Let's say it sells 5 million below Spider-Man or a couple mil below GoW lifetime sales. Is that a success in Sony's eyes? Maybe. Who knows? We don't know the game budget or marketing budget but both were likely high.

People are saying with certainty that it did not underperform but we can't say that with certainly at this point with the info we have. It's all conjecture.

Oct 27, 2017
As pointed out by others it's likely past 7M before major discounts. So no, it did not under perform. It did great. That's literally more than $400 million in revenue.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah I read that point made over and over and its odd how that still hasn't sufficed to show that it did not in fact underperform.
For real. It made boatloads of money, financially outperforming the first game. By the only metric that matters (money), it hasn't underperformed. Weird thread based on seemingly the main criteria for success being beating Spider-Man, the best selling PS game of all time, otherwise it underperformed.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I dont think it has underperformed. It sold very well at launch.

Its legs werent the best though, it doesnt seems to have the same longevity as the first game.

Edit: if the 7 million figure is to be believed, then wow it really dropped off.

4 million in the first weekend alone, than only 3 million in an entire 4 months.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. We have to rely on Sony to release sales figures and they count those. Kinda like Netflix saying 50 million people watched one of their shows. Not technically wrong, but they like to use a methodology that will make their numbers look as strong as possible.

We've had a person who actually has info on this subject speak up in this very thread and stated the performance has been excellent. That's as close as you're getting until Sony releases more official figures.

The game has done great and has a lot of prospects to extend its legs as time goes on, and that's on top of it just being an amazing game that's already done very well.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is op ignoring this post. It seems to have done great even tough it's banned in mea region
I quoted it and responded earlier in the thread. I believe it, but it's interesting that it it has fallen totally from PSN digital charts and NPD's. Points to us armchair analysts having an incomplete picture. Or very strong early sales carries it enough and it can sort of coast now.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've had a person who actually has info on this subject speak up in this very thread and stated the performance has been excellent. That's as close as you're getting until Sony releases more official figures.

The game has done great and has a lot of prospects to extend its legs as time goes on, and that's on top of it just being an amazing game that's already done very well.
Totally. Just curious about it falling off of the NPDs and digital charts. There totally could be a valid explanation for that which doesn't contradict strong sales, but it's interesting to try to piece it all together as an armchair analyst.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
One thing to remember about the fact that it's already generated the third most revenue for sony behind gow and spiderman(according to npd) is that npd only started tracking digital sales in 2016, so it's not as great as it first seems

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, its not having good legs in the USA, going by NPD, but its still selling well in the Europe.

It will end up selling 12-15 million, but i dont think it will surpass the first game in sales.

There are a lot of videos of channels who love to shit on this game every week, some people really hate this game lol.