• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so ignoring a licensed mobile game from 2018 that wasn't even published by activision, the last game in the series was 2015's THPS5, which was famously panned by the critics. to go from that to such a glowing reception in this newest entry (even if it's technically a remaster of older games) seems pretty remarkable.

screenshot2020-09-12a0uj1n.png

BONUS: reminder of how the critical reception for the series used to be like

screenshot2020-09-12awjjxo.png

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Bad games with no budget or effort put into them review poorly, and good games review well.

Wonder if it will outsell Spyro or Crash remakes.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This is only telling me that they made a good game and it sold well

The other title was trash and it did poorly

Make good game = sell good (for the most part)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
THPS5 was a bad bad game.

Activision put no effort into it at all.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
Are the remakes a good starting point for someone who never played Tony Hawk games?

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Word of mouth on this game will be insane. It's up there as far as best games this year overall.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The only reason THPS5 got made in the first place was because their deal was expiring. It's Activision's fault the series fell off in the first place for being greedy and shortsighted.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I really only have nostalgia for Tony Hawk multiplayer on N64, but this game is probably my Game of the Year. And I really suck at it.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Are the remakes a good starting point for someone who never played Tony Hawk games?
Absolutely. So much of what made those original games great is here again and just as good if not arguably better. I didn't expect such a hit of nostalgia with this but it really is that damn good.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
This might be the biggest comeback for a series ever, yeah, but I don't feel it's really that remarkable. It just seems like Activision finally decided to remaster some of their older IPs and actually put a decent budget behind them. So it's more of a change in management strategy than a creative achievement. Rare's comeback is an example of something special.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
I would say so. Other than Crash Bandicoot it just might be. Also we might have another one of these moments when Crash 4 releases and it turns out to be good. Also I hope this spurs Activision to do the THUG games as well as American Wasteland. I am absolutely in love with this remake and the music absolutely helps too.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I think it's one of those instances where people weren't necessarily tired of the format, but Activision kept messing around with a tried and tested format and it showed in the quality of the games. THPS is really just what it is. It has a lot of additional challenges and all that, but the core game is still the very fun Tony Hawk from my youth and it still holds up today.

I honestly don't know if it will spark a huge resurgance for the series, but I could see another remaster or two for 3/4 and THUG 1 and 2, just to get the series a bit more stable again.

The engine is there. The franchise was given to developers who care. The results are clear.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Honestly, I think it's one of those instances where people weren't necessarily tired of the format, but Activision kept messing around with a tried and tested format and it showed in the quality of the games. THPS is really just what it is. It has a lot of additional challenges and all that, but the core game is still the very fun Tony Hawk from my youth and it still holds up today.

I honestly don't know if it will spark a huge resurgance for the series, but I could see another remaster or two for 3/4 and THUG 1 and 2, just to get the series a bit more stable again.

The engine is there. The franchise was given to developers who care. The results are clear.

I mean if Crash 4 is anything to go by, it seems like a given they'll also make a new original game retaining this classic gameplay style...which would be awesome.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Vicarious Visions is so underappreciated. They did great work supporting Destiny 2 as well, and made arguably some of the best content for the series when they were helping out Bungie. Hopefully they're given the opportunity to make a new TH entry after this.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Yes. I personally don't consider THPS 5 as a legitimate entry to the series. That game is a travesty. Robomodo was not up to the task. Insane that a developer of that caliber (extremely low caliber) were allowed to have that much control over such a significant game series.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if Crash 4 is anything to go by, it seems like a given they'll also make a new original game retaining this classic gameplay style...which would be awesome.
I truly hope so.

There's times you don't need to reinvent the wheel, you just need to hold back a bit, stagger releases. The N. Sane Trilogy is near 3 and a half years old by the time 4 launches. That's a big, big stretch of time.

You bring me a new Tony Hawk in 2 or 3 years and I am absolutely ready for it!

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I'm super happy for them, and it's well deserved. It's the first game I've bought at launch in years, and it's a fantastic deal at $40.

Would love to see a resurgence of extreme sports titles between this, Skate, and (hopefully someday) SSX.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I personally don't consider THPS 5 as a legitimate entry to the series. That game is a travesty. Robomodo was not up to the task. Insane that a developer of that caliber (extremely low caliber) were allowed to have that much control over such a significant game series.
even ignoring 5, the two games before it (shred and ride) were also critical flops.

Oct 27, 2017
I am having a fucking blast playing it. I love the addition of these character-specific challenges and seeing these levels in new ways. I feel bad greedily wanting more (3 and 4) added.

Between this, CTR, Spyro and the N'Sane trilogy, Activision are killing it with the remakes.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly put the Modern Warfare 1&2 remasters in there too, which I enjoyed so much that it bummed me out to discover there wasn't a Black Ops remaster to go along with Cold War this year.
I thought of them as I pressed post but I haven't played them. I wonder what else they can pull off going forward.

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. It's a remake of previous games. When they make completely new games that hold up critically then I'll agree

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
To be honest we're seeing this with a lot of Activision's old franchises. They seem to know what they're doing better than any other studio on this front.

If you've fucked up your franchise, it's okay to take a few steps backwards and ask for a do-over. Consumers will forgive you because all they want are good games.

Though we can't confirm it yet, Crash 4 looks great. Crash Team Racing Nitro Fuelled is great. THPS1+2 is a fantastic remake, and I expect we have games like Spyro 4 on the horizon soon.

More developers should take note. If you can't figure out what you're doing with your IP anymore, perhaps go back to when it was great, and then you can try and iterate from there. From a good foundation you can move the franchise forward to something new and appealing.

I think there's often a misconception with these older titles that it was just nostalghia, and that they weren't truly good games, but I think games like THPS prove that that just isn't true. If anything, those older titles, driven to entertain above all else, are much more enjoyable than many modern games that seem driven to get as much time (and money) out of consumers as possible.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
They just need to fix the revert (into manual) timing and add more options to multiplayer and it will be perfect.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I think all of Activision's remake efforts have been a zero-to-hero story, right?

Crash Team Racing, Spyro & Crash Trilogies, and now Tony Hawk 1+2.

Jun 5, 2020
If anything, those older titles, driven to entertain above all else, are much more enjoyable than many modern games that seem driven to get as much time (and money) out of consumers as possible.
This is kind of where I stand. I feel like too many modern games have shifted towards trying to tell stories instead instead of just focusing strictly on gameplay like games of old.